Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaBnx8vxys

Ip Man 4 trailer.

Donnie Yen vs Scott Adkins is something I wasn't even aware that I wanted to see.

I'll never forget Ip Man 2 having the most astoundingly mean spirited 'no, don't throw in the towel' scene of any kung fu movie I've seen. It was kind of amazing. Still haven't gotten around to seeing Ip Man 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Watched some Korean action, The Witch Part 1: Subversion and Confidential Assignment and both were very good adaptations of familiar concepts. The Witch takes the dumb concept from Lucy but takes way more time to build up the characters and delays the (really good) action stuff until the very end. It also has a neat twist on the usual way these movies play out.

I fully expected the bad guys to fridge Ja-Yoon's adoptive parents, her friend or friend's parents to trigger her powers and go after the Company that created her. But it does not happen and was not needed, her plan to go after the Company was already long made and was out of self preservation to get the superserum or else just kill them in revenge regardless. She in fact put all these people in danger with the plan to draw out her enemies.

Even when Ja-Yoon gives 2/3 of the serum she recovered to help her ill adoptive mother it's the doses she has left after taking what she expects to need to find the source of the serum. At the end you're left wondering if anything she did until the killing started was genuine or just an act.

I'm not that into K-Pop but it stood out how Ja-Yoon was called plain while her evil counterparts all looked like teen popstars.

Confidential Assignment was more conventional action stuff, imagine Red Heat except Arnold is North Korean Jason Bourne. They even use an Extreme Ways like tune when big action set pieces take place. Hyun Bin is an absolute beast in his action scenes, doing some Tom Cruise level stunts and his chemistry with his South Korean partner.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hell yea Triple Threat when I get home from work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I still can't get over how there are people who think those chain punches are how you should really hit a guy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea Triple Threat when I get home from work.

Fuckin :same:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kinda disappointed in Triple Threat, sadly. Too much story and not nearly enough action for a movie with that many stars in it. Iko Uwais got the shaft I thought, he should've been given more time to shine but it was more about the Tony Jaa Show. And I think Jaa has lost a step and is over the hill.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I don't think it was the best thing ever, but too much story? There are like 10 minutes dedicated to plot in the whole movie so if anything, it was just poorly developed. I feel like if there was any more action, it'd turn into one of those comic book movies with endless punching that just gets boring eventually. The action itself was pretty good though I wish the finale wasn't all super dark so we could see what the hell is going on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Too much talking then. Maybe it wasn't all plot relevant but lots of talking. Also, too much of the action was not martial arts related, considering that all the guys involved are talented marital artists.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I enjoyed it, but my expectation were sky-high so it definitely didn't meet them.

I thought the story was perfunctory. I could have used more or longer fight scenes, but I'm sure the budget was an issue. Hell, I'd have been happy with some kind of Undisputed ripoff that just found a way to pit these guys against each other.

I could have used a much longer Michael Jai White/Iko Uwais fight because I love both those dudes, but it was still really cool seeing them mix it up.

I hope Iko Uwais got a little notice from Mile 22 because that dude is a star and deserves to make bank in big, dumb Hollywood films.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LesterGroans posted:

I enjoyed it, but my expectation were sky-high so it definitely didn't meet them.

I thought the story was perfunctory. I could have used more or longer fight scenes, but I'm sure the budget was an issue. Hell, I'd have been happy with some kind of Undisputed ripoff that just found a way to pit these guys against each other.

I could have used a much longer Michael Jai White/Iko Uwais fight because I love both those dudes, but it was still really cool seeing them mix it up.

I hope Iko Uwais got a little notice from Mile 22 because that dude is a star and deserves to make bank in big, dumb Hollywood films.

He's the lead in the upcoming Netflix show Wu Assasins.

Anyone who says that they need more than this to get hyped is lying:

quote:

Iko Uwais as Kai Jin, an aspiring chef who learns he is the Wu Assassin with a great and violent destiny.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I am a little mystified as to why they cast Iko Uwais, who is very not Chinese, as a Chinese man named Kai Jin in a show called Wu Assassins.

On the other hand, more Iko. :shrug:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Triple Threat has me thinking about some of my favourite DTV movies.

Why hasn't there been an Undisputed 5 that's a team-up between Wesley Snipes, Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins and Marko Zaror? Cowards.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yall heard of the new Nicolas Cage joint Jiu Jitsu? Whatever you think it could be about you're wrong.

https://www.slashfilm.com/jiu-jitsu-movie/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yall heard of the new Nicolas Cage joint Jiu Jitsu? Whatever you think it could be about you're wrong.

it's...so beautiful.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I feel like Nic Cage has two bins on his desk, one marked "yeah" and one marked "hell yeah" and he prioritizes his career by whatever one fills up with scripts first.

And god bless him for it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

That sounds like he's teaming up with Proyas again

Get john cusack to play his mentor

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 26, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

That second paragraph was a real slap across the face. loving hell yes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Don't caaaare hooooow, I want it now!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
nthing that Triple Threat is really disappointing. It's very much like the Expendables, in that it's one of the best action casts ever assembled in one film (bar Michael Bisping, who can gently caress off) and it's just a bog standard straight to streaming action film, the sort that Jesse V Johnson and Isaac Florentine knock out with great reliability. Fights between stars that fans have been waiting for for a while just fly by, often in less than a minute. I mean, it's perhaps unfair to expect a low budget straight to streaming action film to be genuinely top tier, but individual members of the cast have managed it before. It's a victim of its own expectations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Snowman_McK posted:

nthing that Triple Threat is really disappointing. It's very much like the Expendables, in that it's one of the best action casts ever assembled in one film (bar Michael Bisping, who can gently caress off) and it's just a bog standard straight to streaming action film, the sort that Jesse V Johnson and Isaac Florentine knock out with great reliability. Fights between stars that fans have been waiting for for a while just fly by, often in less than a minute. I mean, it's perhaps unfair to expect a low budget straight to streaming action film to be genuinely top tier, but individual members of the cast have managed it before. It's a victim of its own expectations.

It's completely valid because the film itself (like The Expendables) seems disinterested in being as hyped for its being as its viewers are. Both movies share a kind of workmanlike attitude that prevent either from excelling as far as they should have on paper.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

It's completely valid because the film itself (like The Expendables) seems disinterested in being as hyped for its being as its viewers are. Both movies share a kind of workmanlike attitude that prevent either from excelling as far as they should have on paper.

I mean, it's not even bad. It's not any worse than, for instance, The Butcher, or the Fifth Commandment, both by the same director. The thing is, I expect more from a film starring action movie royalty than i expect from a movie starring Eric Roberts or the bad guy from the first Fast and the Furious movie.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frank Grillo of Purge fame has a new film on Netflix, called Wheelman which I guess got some good reviews?
Did anyone else watch it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Frank Grillo of Purge fame has a new film on Netflix, called Wheelman which I guess got some good reviews?
Did anyone else watch it?

It's not new, they've had it up for about a year or so, but yea it's pretty solid. It's kind of a gimmick movie though in that he never leaves the car, the entire movie takes place in and around his car. Not sure if that would be considered a spoiler but it may not be for everyone. I liked it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Fast and the Furious holds up better than I expected. It’s definitely dated but the car stunts are pretty solid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just one more thing about Triple Threat: It highlighted the importance of choosing your characters weapons carefully. Michael Bisping, who's fully 6'1 or so, uses one of those little bullpup rifles and it looks absolutely ridiculous to have this big dude wandering around holding this very small gun. Reminds me of an interview I read with one of the people behind the Desert Eagle, who said it was a stupid invention that barely worked, and they only survived because of action films. When you've got somoene Arnie or Dolph's size, you have to give them a giant pistol like that so it doesn't look like a toy when they hold it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Snowman_McK posted:

Just one more thing about Triple Threat: It highlighted the importance of choosing your characters weapons carefully. Michael Bisping, who's fully 6'1 or so, uses one of those little bullpup rifles and it looks absolutely ridiculous to have this big dude wandering around holding this very small gun. Reminds me of an interview I read with one of the people behind the Desert Eagle, who said it was a stupid invention that barely worked, and they only survived because of action films. When you've got somoene Arnie or Dolph's size, you have to give them a giant pistol like that so it doesn't look like a toy when they hold it.

Would the contrast to that, a small character wielding a big weapon, be bad? Because that sounds rad as gently caress tbh

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Would the contrast to that, a small character wielding a big weapon, be bad? Because that sounds rad as gently caress tbh

Oh, it totally works the other way. The absolutely miniscule Jeeja Yanin gleefully wielding a grenade launcher was dope.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what's OP referring to

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Schneider Heim posted:

"LET'S ROCK!"

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 1, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, it totally works the other way. The absolutely miniscule Jeeja Yanin gleefully wielding a grenade launcher was dope.

Her getting absolutely annihilated by the grenade launcher got OOOOOOHs from the crowd I saw it with

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Her getting absolutely annihilated by the grenade launcher got OOOOOOHs from the crowd I saw it with

It would have been cooler if it wasn't her exiting the film after half a fight scene.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I loved Triple Threat but there were some jarring parts like that one guy going berserk with knives who gets gunned down after and the whole Iko Uwais mole thing

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

It would have been cooler if it wasn't her exiting the film after half a fight scene.

I can't wait for her to get back to starring roles. Chocolate, Raging Phoenix, and This Girl is Badass are personal favorites (I thought The Kick was ok). Badass is a weird one - it's actually a parody of martial arts movies. The characters are outrageous, the romantic subplots range from ludicrous but sweet to sweet but ludicrous, all the way down to a showdown in the rain' with the rain turned up an extra notch, and then another notch, and - you guessed it - up again. The fight choreography is super tight though.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9AHDXgKb8

The bicycle shop fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wLKtZ_BJA&t=885s

Then rewind it, that video has one of my favorite boss fights in it. Pity about the massive spoilers for Chocolate in the dojo scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I can't wait for her to get back to starring roles. Chocolate, Raging Phoenix, and This Girl is Badass are personal favorites (I thought The Kick was ok). Badass is a weird one - it's actually a parody of martial arts movies. The characters are outrageous, the romantic subplots range from ludicrous but sweet to sweet but ludicrous, all the way down to a showdown in the rain' with the rain turned up an extra notch, and then another notch, and - you guessed it - up again. The fight choreography is super tight though.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9AHDXgKb8

The bicycle shop fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wLKtZ_BJA&t=885s

Then rewind it, that video has one of my favorite boss fights in it. Pity about the massive spoilers for Chocolate in the dojo scene.

Chocolate was one of my favourite movies to show people because it's so loving weird in concept, but so straightforward in execution. After the first twenty minutes or so, it's just a series of increasingly elaborate, nutso fight scenes. Also, the flying spinning kick to the face of the guy who is mid breakdance might be the single most impressive martial arts move I've seen a film.

Raging Phoenix is kind of the opposite. It starts off pretty straight forward, and then goes off the loving deep end (they were harvesting tears, or something?)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

what's OP referring to

I'm pretty sure it was someone's reaction to a clip from Spartacus, the TV show, which is the good Game of Thrones.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowman_McK posted:

Chocolate was one of my favourite movies to show people because it's so loving weird in concept, but so straightforward in execution. After the first twenty minutes or so, it's just a series of increasingly elaborate, nutso fight scenes. Also, the flying spinning kick to the face of the guy who is mid breakdance might be the single most impressive martial arts move I've seen a film.

Raging Phoenix is kind of the opposite. It starts off pretty straight forward, and then goes off the loving deep end (they were harvesting tears, or something?)

RP is bad guys harvesting pheromones versus drunken muy thai fighters. "Drunken" is deliberately ambiguous in that sentence.

That autistic versus autistic fight in Chocolate is genius. the whole movie is up to Jackie Chan standards, especially the warehouse sequence. And if you watch the outtakes at the very end, they really were trying to set her up as the next Jackie Chan. I just want her back as the main head-kicker in movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

RP is bad guys harvesting pheromones versus drunken muy thai fighters. "Drunken" is deliberately ambiguous in that sentence.

That autistic versus autistic fight in Chocolate is genius. the whole movie is up to Jackie Chan standards, especially the warehouse sequence. And if you watch the outtakes at the very end, they really were trying to set her up as the next Jackie Chan. I just want her back as the main head-kicker in movies.

Yeah, for an absolutely tiny lady, she sells the gently caress out of being able to hit really hard. I wrote something on her for some old 'stars of tomorrow' thread and it's sad she's 35 without it having happened, but at least I look better than the guy who was sure Taylor Kitch was the next big thing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I spent the last week binge-watching the Fast and the Furious series, after my best friend did the same and sent me enthusiastic e-mails with his impressions after each one.

I had only ever seen the first one back when it came out in 2001, and was unimpressed enough to not see any of the others. But after being intrigued by the trailer for the upcoming new one with The Rock and Jason Statham teaming up against a super-powered Idris Elba, we were all inspired to give the series a fair chance.

So even though my wife and I watched them out of order (1 --> 6 --> 7 --> 8 --> 2 --> 4 --> 5 --> 3), I would have to rank them as:

What does everyone else think of these? For the record, I think 6, 7, and 8 are fan-loving-tastic, up there with the best Mission Impossibles (another franchise I came late to, running through them in time to catch up with Fallout last summer). In fact, they are practically superhero team-up movies, with all kinds of comic booky stuff going on that appealed to me greatly.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I spent the last week binge-watching the Fast and the Furious series, after my best friend did the same and sent me enthusiastic e-mails with his impressions after each one.

I had only ever seen the first one back when it came out in 2001, and was unimpressed enough to not see any of the others. But after being intrigued by the trailer for the upcoming new one with The Rock and Jason Statham teaming up against a super-powered Idris Elba, we were all inspired to give the series a fair chance.

So even though my wife and I watched them out of order (1 --> 6 --> 7 --> 8 --> 2 --> 4 --> 5 --> 3), I would have to rank them as:

What does everyone else think of these? For the record, I think 6, 7, and 8 are fan-loving-tastic, up there with the best Mission Impossibles (another franchise I came late to, running through them in time to catch up with Fallout last summer). In fact, they are practically superhero team-up movies, with all kinds of comic booky stuff going on that appealed to me greatly.

I'd like to hear more about what made you enjoy 8 so much. I thought it was one of the weaker entries in the series.

I'd go: 5-6-7-1-3-2-8-4

I think 6 is the one where everything is firing on all cylinders (The Rock's charisma, the stunts, the teamwork, the ridiculous logic) but the surprise of 5 being so drat good puts it over the edge for me.

The Jason Statham teaser in 6 was one of the best theatre-going experiences I've ever had. People were standing and cheering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I'd like to hear more about what made you enjoy 8 so much. I thought it was one of the weaker entries in the series.

I'd go: 5-6-7-1-3-2-8-4

I think 6 is the one where everything is firing on all cylinders (The Rock's charisma, the stunts, the teamwork, the ridiculous logic) but the surprise of 5 being so drat good puts it over the edge for me.

The Jason Statham teaser in 6 was one of the best theatre-going experiences I've ever had. People were standing and cheering.

8 narrowly beat out 7 for me, but it was close and probably could have gone either way. 7 had Deckard Shaw as the best overall villain who was a legitimate threat to everyone, and it had the Paul Walker sendoff that made us both cry a little.

But 8 was more "comic booky" with Dom's coerced heel turn, Shaw's face turn, Cipher as the kind of Luthor/Fisk/Osborn-like villain thinking twelve moves ahead of everyone else (only to be outplanned by Dom), Helen Mirren totally slumming it and having a blast, and the most ridiculous heightened "fate of the world in the balance" stakes.

But 6 was glorious, especially watching it directly after 1, which I didn't like much better this second time around. With only the most minimal knowledge of what happened in between, 6 made perfect sense to us, and everything and everyone just worked perfectly. The Statham stinger at the end must have made everyone mark out, because we sure as hell did, even knowing he would show up eventually. And as a lifelong comic book reader, I also appreciated the retcons that made Tokyo Drift take place chronologically after 6.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 4, 2019