Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

theflyingorc posted:

One guy survived both of them! :eng101:

There's a pretty good documentary on Netflix about this guy called 'twice'

Scipiotik posted:

If you're close enough that any of those things matter you're dead, just a matter of on what timeline.

On a long enough timeline human survival drops to 0 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Uh wasn't the plea deal guaranteeing him no jail time? What the hell is he doing?

Lol, you think a billionaire isn't guaranteed no jail time by existing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EwokEntourage posted:

He didn't have to plead guilty, he just had to admit the evidence showed he was guilty, which is what he is refusing to do

:lol: they have him on video though

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Which is better for a prosecutor's future political prospects? Putting one famous pelt on the wall, or a million dollars here, a million dollars there for their political campaigns? Hell, probably doesn't even cost a single million to buy both sides of a handjob case, plus purchase a little evidence mishandling by the cops.

I expect Mr. Kraft's lawyers know that he can buy his way out of this one even further than the special rich-white-guy treatment he got already.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Slo-Tek posted:

Which is better for a prosecutor's future political prospects? Putting one famous pelt on the wall, or a million dollars here, a million dollars there for their political campaigns? Hell, probably doesn't even cost a single million to buy both sides of a handjob case.

I expect Mr. Kraft's lawyers know that he can buy his way out of this one even further than the special rich-white-guy treatment he got already.

Ding Ding! Enough money can solve any legal problem. Everyone is buyable for the right price.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah those pleas are what poor as poo poo people take to not miss work and lose their jobs as they fight a trial that could land them in jail.

Rich people don't have to worry about going to court and getting fired from work.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pakled posted:

Uh wasn't the plea deal guaranteeing him no jail time? What the hell is he doing?

But it would require that he admit that he went to get a handy which is just not done by good Christian men that love their wives very much.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Jealous Cow posted:

:lol: they have him on video though

The guys who took over that wildlife reserve were on video too

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Booourns posted:

The guys who took over that wildlife reserve were on video too

Jury nullification is a hell of a thing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

One guy survived both of them! :eng101:

IIRC, there were nine or ten people who claimed to survive both, though not all of their claims could be verified.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Robert Kraft is thinking that no one can force him to do anything, and he's right.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ReidRansom posted:

Doesn't offset him running cover for Trump, imo. He can still get bent. Though I wouldn't have wished him dead, which he soon will be probably.

imagine being this petty

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DandyLion posted:

Ding Ding! Enough money can solve any legal problem. Everyone is buyable for the right price.
No bribery needed.

They are playing the "How much time and money do you want to waste convicting my client of a misdemeanor?" game. This is the kind of crime that often straight up gets nolle pros'd the second the accused hires a competent attorney.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

RandomBlue posted:

Now that you've argued that some slippery slope arguments are valid you now have to argue they all are. Them's the breaks.

:shrug:

The argument that authorities tend to use censorship against marginalized groups is not a slippery slope argument, it's a recognition of history. The suggestion that such methods would be turned against out groups is a historical truism to the point that anyone trying to argue that their attempt is somehow different and will end differently should have the burden of proof in showing how this time things are going to be somehow be different than every other loving case in the history of the world previous to it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tibalt posted:

Because it won't? Like, it won't. Packing the courts doesn't change most of the things that got Trump or Bush II elected*.

*this is a reference to Bush v. Gore and Citizens United, stop writing that post numbskull.

yes it will. you should do a little research into voter suppression in those election.

it's also not loving 2000 lmao.

it will be literally impossible for republicans to win presidential elections going forward without massive voter suppression even with the ec.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pakled posted:

Powerful rich guys don't like to take responsibility for their actions.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1108394135038410753

Grift recognize grift.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CuddleCryptid posted:

But it would require that he admit that he went to get a handy which is just not done by good Christian men that love their wives very much.

Isn’t kraft Jewish?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

skylined! posted:

Isn’t kraft Jewish?
Details!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Of course he is

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

Isn’t kraft Jewish?

he is, and his wife is dead

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope we get some more Not Mad™️ Devin Nunes soon.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/behindyourback/status/1108353481289711617

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Groovelord Neato posted:

yes it will. you should do a little research into voter suppression in those election.

it's also not loving 2000 lmao.

it will be literally impossible for republicans to win presidential elections going forward without massive voter suppression even with the ec.
It's impossible for the Republicans to win congress. It's impossible for Democrats to win the presidency. Permanent Republican majority. Democratic super-majority. The South will always be a Democratic stronghold. Evangelicals don't vote. Blacks don't vote. Millennials don't vote. It's impossible for Democrats to win congress. It'll be impossible for Republicans to win the presidency. It's not 1988 anymore. It's not 1992 anymore. It's not 2000 anymore. It's not 2008 anymore. It's not 2016 anymore.

Even if I accepted your premise, the voter suppression all happens on the state level. Even when the VRA was in place, we've had voter suppression, and as insane as this may sound, Republican electoral success isn't 100% due to to voter suppression. You still have a system where 5 semi-random states effectively decide whose president. You can't see a Republican president winning in 8 years, fine. How about 16 years? 32 years? 64 years?

Saying that the risk is worth it, that's fine. Saying that there is no inherent risk is foolish.

Also my previous post wasn't calling you specifically a numbskull, I was doing a comedic bit about a hypothetical "Well Actually" post but realized it could be read as weird slam out of nowhere, so I apologize.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jealous Cow posted:

I hope we get some more Not Mad™️ Devin Nunes soon.

The Cow is on track to surpass him in twitter followers today, so that should provide some quality Not Mad responses

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pardon me while I laugh my spleen out. No, Bob Kraft won't serve jail time, but he'll needlessly drag this out because he's convinced he did nothing wrong. I expect the Ginger Hammer will probably fine him a few million.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Skex posted:

The argument that authorities tend to use censorship against marginalized groups is not a slippery slope argument, it's a recognition of history. The suggestion that such methods would be turned against out groups is a historical truism to the point that anyone trying to argue that their attempt is somehow different and will end differently should have the burden of proof in showing how this time things are going to be somehow be different than every other loving case in the history of the world previous to it.

It was a simple joke Skex.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Meanwhile on Fox News

I normally consider GG a vapid wanker but this takes some guts.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Pardon me while I laugh my spleen out.

Don't do that you need your spleen for......things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

of course there's a risk. but we won't be able to do anything without packing the court. it's not an option.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Don't do that you need your spleen for......things.

kinda but the liver will take up the work after a splenectomy.

You would be more susceptible to encapsulated organisms tho

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I normally consider GG a vapid wanker but this takes some guts.

Greenwald has proven himself to have serious balls more than once; the issue is that he's too stupid to know what to be brave about

broken clock, etc

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

You would be more susceptible to encapsulated organisms tho

to...what now? like you mean all eukaryotes?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1108394207729717248?s=19

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RandomBlue posted:

It was a simple joke Skex.

yeah, but people are actually suggesting government internet filters would be good. On the premise we all agree a certain list of websites should be banned. Which is true, everyone at 8chan should be in jail but I can't imagine how anyone alive on earth in 2019 would be dumb enough to think that no matter how nicely the original list is set up that even one second later that list would be restrained to "sites we all agree should be banned".

Like literally no matter how much you yell "no, only ban bad things", you are gonna find the "bad things' are defined in ways that certain groups are treated more lightly than others.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1108402601022902272

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I mean Trump era so whatever but we shouldn't forget how utterly despicable it is for a US president to participate in a photo op with a foreign leader 2 loving weeks before they are up for election.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

yeah, but people are actually suggesting government internet filters would be good. On the premise we all agree a certain list of websites should be banned. Which is true, everyone at 8chan should be in jail but I can't imagine how anyone alive on earth in 2019 would be dumb enough to think that no matter how nicely the original list is set up that even one second later that list would be restrained to "sites we all agree should be banned".

Like literally no matter how much you yell "no, only ban bad things", you are gonna find the "bad things' are defined in ways that certain groups are treated more lightly than others.

We should be clear that at no point has a government agency been involved in banning these websites. The telecoms made the decision to block 8chan, Voat, etc. individually after conferring with each other. There is no government-controlled censorship happening.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I take no pleasure in reporting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Groovelord Neato posted:

i know right? i don't get how these people get around the fact that the court IS going to strike down progressive legislation without any legitimate reason. it's like everyone slept through the past two decades. roberts gutted the VRA with absolutely no constitutional excuse.

and if we had a functioning dem congress it would have bounced back immediately

the current roberts court is surmountable-ish on the federal level (although i agree we should do some packin' anyway)