Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any tips for Metro Exodus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Wargroove? Trap units, stuff the game cannot be bothered to teach you and so on?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

OK, bit of a nightmare. My hosting was hacked. I think it was through a Wordpress installation (Every time I've been hacked, I'm pretty sure it's because of a Wordpress installation).

As far as I know it's all fine now. I've cleaned everything up. The MediaWiki installation running Before I Play was the most difficult to try to clean up manually, so instead I've just finished installing a new copy of MediaWiki, pointing it at the old database, and bringing over any custom stuff.

If you notice anything weird on the site, please let me know. Things I know about are: The favicon is gone, and the Recent Pages list on the main page was using an extension that no longer works, so that's been removed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I have some for Pokemon Go

* Once you get a magikarp, make it your buddy so you collect candy with adventure sync. You will need a ton of them later. This will take months, so might as well start ASAP.

* Turn on adventure sync, if you're on IOS make sure it has read permissions to Health. It will not do this automatically in my experience. This will allow you to hatch eggs and get buddy candy just for carrying your phone around

* Do not evolve Grimer, Magikarp, Gloom, or Magnemite until you get a quest for it. Otherwise you may end up sitting on that quest for a long time if you don't have the candy for it because you used it already and it happens to be a time where they don't spawn as much.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What should I do before Final Fantasy XV?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Rirse posted:

Watch the Anime and movie of you really want to get all the backstory. There isn't anything super exciting there, but the anime at least has cute character moments imo. The movie...exists.

Uhhh, other than that the game is open world, so just do stuff at your own pace. The royal edition has an accessory the disables friendly fire on magic, which is normally a thing. The combat is more about timing things than mashing attack.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

BrightWing posted:

Watch the Anime and movie of you really want to get all the backstory. There isn't anything super exciting there, but the anime at least has cute character moments imo. The movie...exists.

A zillion times this- the anime helps so much with early "Who are these people and what is their deal".

Also, I would recommend not bothering trying to be too optimal- I did this dumb thing where I banked all of my experience and held off on leveling off for a ton of the game, in retrospect I wish I'd just gone camping a ton and kept pace with the content.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

Play Gladio's DLC so you can have him topless the entire game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

I think its in the wiki but the skills which generate AP are soft traps at level one and complete traps in their upgraded versions. Dont invest in them over something else.

Magic is absurdly powerful. Throwing it near your bros does stunlock them/deal some damage but its minimal enough to not be a real concern. If you feel bad there is an item you should start the game with that turns of friendly fire.

Do not sell the engine blade no matter what you do. Originally it was unsellable but due to ng+ you can now sell it. Dont do this! Its the base item for the ultiman blade which you can unlock fairly early.

A weapon provides its stat bonuses to you while equipped, even if it is not your active weapon.

The best early upgrades are another item slot for each character, promptos starfall, and ignis regroup.

You get considerably more XP for sleeping in a hotel than at a campsite. You start the game with an item that makes it so sleeping at a campsite doesnt automatically cash out your xp. You dont need to do this if you dont want to, the game didnt launch with this and is easy enough without it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Barudak posted:

Do not sell the engine blade no matter what you do. Originally it was unsellable but due to ng+ you can now sell it. Dont do this! Its the base item for the ultiman blade which you can unlock fairly early.

You can get it in chapter 3 iirc, and it'll last you until the end of the game, or at least the critical path. I don't recall the steps to get it off the top of my head, but it's more tedious than difficult (and not even that bad by jrpg standards), so just google it and grab it if you feel like neutralizing the game's difficulty.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I would also put serious thought into spending AP on Noctis's movement and combat skills- I forget which ones are which, but I distinctly recall that several of his things dramatically changed the way his combat felt.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One thing I did was put that ring on him for infinite stamina, as I remember it was a pain when I played the game previously on the Xbox One.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Xanadu next? I've played Ys IV, VI and Origins so I figure I should have most basics of Ys-like covered but are there any traps or non-obvious mechanics?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Here's a few for The Division 2 after my first week of play:

Crafting blueprints will scale to the level of your crafting bench, so if you see a blueprint as a reward from a side mission or being sold by a vendor that you might want, go ahead and pick it up. You don't need to wait for level cap.
In general, it's not really worth crafting anything while you level up, just save those crafting materials for later.
If you don't know what you want to pick with your first skill unlock, healer drone, chem launcher heal, chem launcher acid round, or the assault turret are all good choices. But feel free to pick anything you think looks cool. You'll unlock every skill eventually.
On that topic - Once you unlock a skill, its variants are unlocked with SHD tech, not more skill points. The new variants cost 5 SHD tech a piece.
You will have enough SHD tech/skill points to unlock everything.
No, you can't cook your grenades by default. There is a Talent on gloves that will let you do it, though.

These are bug related, so may change fairly soon but are still important in the short term:
1) When you get to level cap, if you're in a world tier lower than 4 (the current maximum) you can do the missions themselves with people in any world tier, but if you do the Strongholds with people in higher world tiers you may bug your ability to go up world tiers.
2) If you're going to sell a weapon to a vendor that has a skin applied to it, remove the skin first. Otherwise, it may be permanently removed from your account.
3) When you're doing the DZ South recon mission to unlock that dark zone, and you get to the bottom of a ladder going into the sewers stop at the bottom of the ladder and do not move until a few seconds after your mission guide stops talking. If you just keep trucking along, the door you need to go through won't unlock and you'll be stuck in a hallway until you log out and start the whole mission all over again.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Xanadu next? I've played Ys IV, VI and Origins so I figure I should have most basics of Ys-like covered but are there any traps or non-obvious mechanics?

I wouldn't really call it a Ys-like. From what I remember the biggest "trap" is that you should make sure you mastered a weapon's skill before selling it, because some weapons are unique and if you sell'em beforehand you can lose out on a skill forever. Otherwise I don't really remember since it's been quite a while since I last played... IIRC levels are super important and a single level can be the difference between single-digit damage against enemies and actually decent output.

e: should probably expand a bit, I'd say Xanadu Next was more of a Diablo-like with some platforming? IIRC you can play it with the mouse.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 18, 2019

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Anything for Wizard of Legend ? Like, which arcana/relics/cloaks should I prioritize buying?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Here's a few for The Division 2 after my first week of play:

Crafting blueprints will scale to the level of your crafting bench, so if you see a blueprint as a reward from a side mission or being sold by a vendor that you might want, go ahead and pick it up. You don't need to wait for level cap.
In general, it's not really worth crafting anything while you level up, just save those crafting materials for later.
If you don't know what you want to pick with your first skill unlock, healer drone, chem launcher heal, chem launcher acid round, or the assault turret are all good choices. But feel free to pick anything you think looks cool. You'll unlock every skill eventually.
On that topic - Once you unlock a skill, its variants are unlocked with SHD tech, not more skill points. The new variants cost 5 SHD tech a piece.
You will have enough SHD tech/skill points to unlock everything.
No, you can't cook your grenades by default. There is a Talent on gloves that will let you do it, though.

These are bug related, so may change fairly soon but are still important in the short term:
1) When you get to level cap, if you're in a world tier lower than 4 (the current maximum) you can do the missions themselves with people in any world tier, but if you do the Strongholds with people in higher world tiers you may bug your ability to go up world tiers.
2) If you're going to sell a weapon to a vendor that has a skin applied to it, remove the skin first. Otherwise, it may be permanently removed from your account.
3) When you're doing the DZ South recon mission to unlock that dark zone, and you get to the bottom of a ladder going into the sewers stop at the bottom of the ladder and do not move until a few seconds after your mission guide stops talking. If you just keep trucking along, the door you need to go through won't unlock and you'll be stuck in a hallway until you log out and start the whole mission all over again.

Also, something that really made the game click for me was to move around a lot. In most cover shooters, my instinct is to hunker down somewhere where I have a good view of as many people as possible and as few sides to defend, but enemies in this game are a lot better at flanking and will sometimes spawn behind you. In general, jumping out of cover for a second or two to move to the next cover will keep the AI guessing, and often they'll continue to fire at where you were. Plinking away at guys at long range doesn't work as well as in most games. Also, I never really use LMGs and SMGs in these types of games, but I've found both to be much more useful than the other weapons, but that's probably a personal preference/playstyle thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It may be too early to say, but is division 2 more solo-friendly than 1? Between the bullet spongey enemies and other design choices, I found playing solo to be frustrating at times, I’m wondering if 2 is similar or no.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ainsley McTree posted:

It may be too early to say, but is division 2 more solo-friendly than 1? Between the bullet spongey enemies and other design choices, I found playing solo to be frustrating at times, I’m wondering if 2 is similar or no.

Yes...ish. Bullet sponges enemies is still a bit of an issue but they have thematically altered it so that the sponges are wearing destructable armor now rather than incredibly durable tshirts, so it's at least more justified.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SoR Blaze posted:

Also, something that really made the game click for me was to move around a lot. In most cover shooters, my instinct is to hunker down somewhere where I have a good view of as many people as possible and as few sides to defend, but enemies in this game are a lot better at flanking and will sometimes spawn behind you. In general, jumping out of cover for a second or two to move to the next cover will keep the AI guessing, and often they'll continue to fire at where you were. Plinking away at guys at long range doesn't work as well as in most games. Also, I never really use LMGs and SMGs in these types of games, but I've found both to be much more useful than the other weapons, but that's probably a personal preference/playstyle thing.

LMGs and to a lesser extend SMGs benefit from being able to put out so many shots that they can suppress targets, allowing you to move up and finish them off.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The difficulty is more of a curve. There are still spongey enemies, but as indicated they wear destructable armor (and sometimes only over part of their body). On top of that, the weakpoints themselves are so asininely tanky as they were in Div1 where it was like "well just shoot their grenade pouch" and you'd dump multiple mags into the grenade pouch because it was ALSO tanky. The weakpoints tend to genuinely be weak to reward you for hitting them, whether that is a grenade pouch on someone's belt, or the ammo feed on a machine gunners gun that will force them to stop firing and take a knee to fix it, etc. So even the big spongey guys tend to have a mechanic to buy you sometime to put some damage into them. Sometimes the answer is to not go for headshots like you would think because the head is more heavily armored and you could just shoot them in the unarmored legs or lower torso to do straight health damage instead of armor damage.

Parts of it are still not super solo friendly, at least right now. Challenging level content I'd want a group for to be sure. World content and story missions (Challenging dark zone landmarks and the equivalent tier 3 control points possibly excepted) are fine to solo, though missions I'd probably just roll with a group even if it were pubbies to speed it up a little bit. That's not really an issue with spongeyness so much as it is just having to shoot all the targets yourself and be careful not to get murdered.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

If it wasn't already obvious from playing it (assuming you've started it), the game is a dungeon crawler more in line with Diablo compared to a Ys. Only real piece of advice I think I could give is to buy the thing from the lady that lets you carve keys from bones, and be prepared for getting very frustrated at alternating between a gamepad and the mouse when navigating the menus. Despite all the UI issues I had via the mouse I still enjoyed the game a whole bunch though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

If it wasn't already obvious from playing it (assuming you've started it), the game is a dungeon crawler more in line with Diablo compared to a Ys. Only real piece of advice I think I could give is to buy the thing from the lady that lets you carve keys from bones, and be prepared for getting very frustrated at alternating between a gamepad and the mouse when navigating the menus. Despite all the UI issues I had via the mouse I still enjoyed the game a whole bunch though.
Actually, I haven't started yet so that is really helpful. It seems that you can't play the game on gamepad only - would you suggest to forego it entirely and do KB+M?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It probably works perfectly fine with KB&M, a lot of Falcom PC titles were designed with it in mind. I'm just so much more of a gamepad person that I was willing to suck it up and just alternate between the two (at one point IIRC I had Joy2Key set up so that I could map some of the mouse movement to a stick).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything I should know about Sunless Skies?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Press C for cruise control. Get cheat engine and use the speed booster function.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fat Samurai posted:

Save editing still works, but is not as powerful as it was in Sunless Seas. They made fuel consumption into a slider at game start I think.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Spider-Man plus The City That Never Sleeps (season pass I think) makes it complete right? I'm hoping to finally get Spider-Man soon (once I work out where it's cheapest) but I hate missing pieces of a game. I still haven't gotten around to Watch Dogs 2 yet because I can't justify $60 in cosmetic dlc (I was born in the 80's so I really want the neon stuff but unlike actual game and stuff the cosmetic dlc is NEVER on sale)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Most of this is 'compared to Seas'

C button (by default) is cruise control. Hard to use with controller though.
You have to equip officers (can only do in port)
It is a trading game now (there's a tutorial at the first port). As well as the other things. Not sure if you can subsist off just port reports.
Lamp doesn't use fuel (I think?) so keep it on as default.
Shunting sideways doesn't use fuel, but turning does. If you really want to go fast, you need to cruise and shunt in a tacking across the wind kind of way.
You can change combat difficulty between deaths.
Kind of cheaty but when playing Legacy You can quit to title before accepting your death in the dialogue box to reload from the last port you were in
If you are kind of lost in a new place, go to the centre of your chart.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

juliuspringle posted:

Spider-Man plus The City That Never Sleeps (season pass I think) makes it complete right? I'm hoping to finally get Spider-Man soon (once I work out where it's cheapest) but I hate missing pieces of a game. I still haven't gotten around to Watch Dogs 2 yet because I can't justify $60 in cosmetic dlc (I was born in the 80's so I really want the neon stuff but unlike actual game and stuff the cosmetic dlc is NEVER on sale)

As far as anybody knows there is no more DLC so yes, the main game plus City That Never Sleeps is everything. CTNS is made up of three DLC chapters.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What’s up with the beforeiplay site? Getting a “resource limit reached” message.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Too many hits on the site, probably. It actually happened once before a few months ago when reddit discovered the place. It nearly never does otherwise, so it hasn't been worth it to upgrade the hosting so far.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Is there a way to find out why?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, but you'll have to ask Centipeed. He pays for the hosting, so he has access to the stats.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BrightWing posted:

Is there a way to find out why?

Fine avatar you have there.

For some actual content, I'm glad the site exists. It's really handy, and even kind of neat to look up games I know fairly well to see what others have to say.

Leave fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 22, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Leavemywife posted:

Fine avatar you have there.

I'm glad I kept it! Hope your doing well Leave!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

some actual content, I'm glad the site exists. It's really handy, and even kind of neat to look up games I know fairly well to see what others have to say.
I honestly feel kind of good about myself every time I contribute something that I see showing up on the main site afterwards. Makes keeping up with this thread feel far more worth the effort, so I really appreciate comments like this. I'm sure all of the other regular contributors do, too.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I also love the site. I wouldn’t mind if Centipeed threw a link to a tip jar or something to help cover costs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Extrapolating here from what Centipeed has said about advertisement money, I think he said it would be hard to divide that kind of thing up. The site is really the work of a lot of people and we all respect Centipeed a whole lot for being the kind of guy who can admit that, rather than just taking the donations for all they're worth. Tip jars would be a great idea that I think everyone deserves, but since there's currently like 10 bucks a year in actual upkeep, it would be hard to decide who gets the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Extrapolating here from what Centipeed has said about advertisement money, I think he would it hard to divide that kind of thing up. The site is really the work of a lot of people and we all respect Centipeed a whole lot for being the kind of guy who can admit that, rather than just taking the donations for all they're worth. Tip jars would be a great idea that I think everyone deserves, but since there's currently like 10 bucks a year in actual upkeep, it would be hard to decide who gets the rest.

Hasn't he also passed on attempts to buy the site? I'm sure it'd become an ad fest wiki-like the moment that happened.