Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Farg posted:

I mean, then what is your viewpoint? I don't think anyone is arguing that roleplay should be required. I think the difference in opinion is if asking "how do you go about persuading the guard" is unreasonable.

If someone was extremely uncomfortable doing even that I'd be happy to assist them or just handwave past it but I also can't imagine someone who can't handle that but can handle the other decision making points in a game

We've talked about this. My viewpoint is that "I persuade the guard to let us past, and since (my character is better at this than I am/I'm having a lovely day/I'm exhausted/etc.), I'd rather not be forced to roleplay it out" is a reasonable thing to say at the table, and "I don't know/I can't come up with something this quickly/I'm too tired to figure it out" is a reasonable response to "how do you go about persuading the guard". I even gave an alternate mechanic that lets the DM suggest ways the character might do the persuading so that the player with social anxiety/exhaustion/etc. isn't put on the spot.

At no point, I feel obliged to clarify, has anyone on my side of the argument demanded that everyone be forced to use dice instead of roleplaying an encounter out. If you are happy and comfortable with roleplaying it out, go for it. Only one side of the argument is saying that a particular way to resolve the situation shouldn't be allowed, and it isn't the one I'm on.

On the other hand, this whole discussion started when mastershakeman said, out of the blue,

mastershakeman posted:

Social skills should be houseruled by every DM to cease to exist. That wouldn't solve all this argument about skill checks but it would help!

and that's who you're arguing alongside: someone who believes that not only should players not be allowed to just say "I persuade the guard (but I'm not sure how)", but that every social interaction should be fully roleplayed and no one should ever be allowed to roll at all, and who - judging by their posts - thinks the only possible alternative to that is

mastershakeman posted:

roll[ing] dice over and over while being completely silent

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I guess I just view it as such a bare minimum of participation in the game that if you are too beaten down or otherwise unable to do so you should probably just talk to your group and get some bed rest. I think if that's the way you wanna personally play then go for it, but it sounds wooden and lifeless.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is there such a thing as beating a dead strawman?

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I've totally lost the thread of this argument at this point.

It's totally reasonable to in any conflict/tension situation in the game have your players qualify what their strategy is. This includes using a social roll, and doesn't require adept personal oratory or even social sense.

The examples provided earlier in the thread are missing this important point by collapsing combat to "I attack the guy with my sword [to damage the guard]" or "I cast magic missile" and equating that to "I use persuasion on the guard". The important missed clause is "with my sword", or specifying a specific spell instead of saying "I cast a spell". You do indeed need to provide a "with my sword" for other checks.

Just like in combat with a character who isn't up with their different abilities and just says "I attack" without sufficient context to understand what they mean, it's totally okay to prompt your players for missing information and isn't ableist (?) which seems to be the underlying accusation ITT. It's also okay to suggest new/unsure players with an overview of their options and go from there, just like you might to help someone in combat by handling their scores and prompting rolls. If there's a player that wants to be a face but really isn't creative or inventive beyond "I roll persuasion" and this ends up bogging down your entire game... perhaps provide them with a card that highlights some common uses of social skills as a jumping off point, eg:
Misdirection/Blather - Starting a distracting meaningless conversation to occupy a target while another player acts.
Command - Pretending to be a target's superior in some way to command them to act.
Sob Story- Gets the target to want to help you via a pity or sympathy." Hopefully after pointing to their card for a while, they'll start to pick up on ideas for strategy.

None of which requires improv any more than literally any other element of the game, or requires people to do funny voices or whatever. Yes this generalizes to all skills and isn't a specific issue with social skills themselves really - almost unique when talking about 5e, the issue isn't the game it's players having weird sticking points.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah what they said

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Besesoth posted:

We've talked about this. My viewpoint is that "I persuade the guard to let us past, and since (my character is better at this than I am/I'm having a lovely day/I'm exhausted/etc.), I'd rather not be forced to roleplay it out"
When you say role play it out, where are you falling on the spectrum of "I pretend I'm someone who's supposed to be here you pick who" to "Ho Constable! How art thou this fine morrow?"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
And also, if the guard isn't important and it's just being an annoying roadblock for no reason from the gm, why not ask the GM "Is this really important"? and move on if it's really not important how you go about it, without a roll. You can do both, have some situations where "I just persuade him to let us through, and he's a no-name idiot and there are no stakes so we just do it" and "Okay, this is the royal prison and the guard is in plate armor and smartly stands at attention, stopping you from progressing. How do you get past this challenge?" in the same game..

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I think whether or not these rolls matter or if the dm is just throwing meaningless roadblocks at you is a different issue entirely, though. Ideally you wouldn't be in a position where you are persuading the guard if it didn't matter or if there was no possibility for interesting failure/success

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just want to say that reading through chapter 3 of SKT is a loving chore and wotc should have at least had the foresight to list these locations by geographical proximity, so DMs have at least a rough idea of which locations are going to come up in consecutive sessions, rather than listing them alphabetically and going "go memorize the map, fucko"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CaPensiPraxis posted:

The examples provided earlier in the thread are missing this important point by collapsing combat to "I attack the guy with my sword [to damage the guard]" or "I cast magic missile" and equating that to "I use persuasion on the guard". The important missed clause is "with my sword", or specifying a specific spell instead of saying "I cast a spell". You do indeed need to provide a "with my sword" for other checks.

No, that's not a missed clause, and you're ignoring the posts where that's clarified.

"I <perform action> using <mechanic that allows me to perform action>."

"I <attack the gnoll> using <my sword>."
"I <attack the goblin> using <my Magic Missile spell>."
"I <get past the guard> using <my Persuasion skill>."

Splicer posted:

When you say role play it out, where are you falling on the spectrum of "I pretend I'm someone who's supposed to be here you pick who" to "Ho Constable! How art thou this fine morrow?"

Either, frankly. "I do not have the expertise or the energy to figure out what would work in this situation, but my character does" should be a reasonable approach to the problem and it's genuinely weird to me that people don't get that.

If this isn't something you'd be comfortable doing as a player, that's fine. Don't do it!

If this isn't something you'd be comfortable allowing as a DM, that's fine. Tell your players that!

But neither of those cases mean you get to dictate that for every other group on the loving planet.

Anyway. I've said all I intend to say on the subject. I don't know how I can make this any clearer and I'm just repeating myself at this point.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 20, 2019

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Seems like people are conflating these two problems. The "What if I'm just not in the mood to ~roleplay~" statements make a lot more sense if you're expecting that every interaction requires explicitly explaining everything. Like.. you don't need to specify how your character takes a poo poo, it's just assumed that you do it in the normal way. If you're having to roll a skill in a situation where you seriously don't think it matters at ALL how you go about doing that skill, perhaps suggest that it not be a roll/talk to your GM after the game along the lines of "Do we really need to be rolling if it's not a real challenge?"

Personally, I do something akin to "passive" rolls for situations where someone proposes something that doesn't have a significant amount of challenge, but where I don't want to make skill choices meaningless: I either outright say "Roll for funny side effects" (aka, yes you do that, but let's just have a random chance roll for flavor) and/or ask what their score is and narrate what happens based on that context. You can also re-contextualize rolls somewhat, in this case a persuasion roll doesn't have to mean directly an opposed roll to sway the target's opinion. Perhaps you're rolling persuasion to notice something about the guard that's guaranteed to get you past!

My advice for dealing with DMs who don't do this is to have a stock phrase you can pull out to suggest that they provide you with concrete options. Along the lines of "My character is expert at X topic and/or Y skill. What options occur to them for dealing with X using Y skill? Do any of Y options seem unlikely to work to them?". Take the guard example, you're presented with a guard who won't let you past. You don't really have any ideas for convincing the guard to let you past, you don't want to actually talk in character to do this, and perhaps you've offered a dud. Whip out, "My character is great at persuasion, and has been getting past guards since being a kid, but I don't know what he'd do here... [look a questionmark at your dm]"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Why the gently caress are people playing with someone who is too exhausted to think straight, let this person go home and go to bed and just reschedule, goddamn

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guy A. Person posted:

Why the gently caress are people playing with someone who is too exhausted to think straight, let this person go home and go to bed and just reschedule, goddamn
I've been wondering this.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

Besesoth posted:

No, that's not a missed clause, and you're ignoring the posts where that's clarified.

"I <perform action> using <mechanic that allows me to perform action>."

"I <attack the gnoll> using <my sword>."
"I <attack the goblin> using <my Magic Missile spell>."
"I <get past the guard> using <my Persuasion skill>."

Yeah no, that's still a gross simplification of what's happening there anyways. Using your sword how? I don't mean "Now you must describe your exact sword move", miss me with that stupid strawman. Do you move into melee and use your sword? That's the general strategy, cool! Do you move around interposing enemies, or walk past them? How about field hazards? Hell, do you throw your sword instead? Are you attacking him more than once with extra attacks? Did you choose that target because of positioning rules? Heck, the challenge isn't "reduce this gnoll's hp to zero" it's "deal with this combat scenario to do X", so skipping ahead to choosing an attack on an assumed target is ignoring a large part of the decision making there.
Likewise, using a magic missile appears to be a good example only because it's skipped ahead to the end of a decision tree.

These are not optional "fluff" roleplaying elements of attacking a gnoll with your sword, they're really basic parts of how the decision system works. Really. Basic.

If there is a social challenge, even assuming that -because it's less of a focus of the system- it's a challenge of far further complexity than combat, it's still a challenge. Keeping in mind that trivial challenges can have trivial scenarios and require trivial input from players (or even none, just handwave them: see the challenge of figuring out how to poo poo in a city with no public toilets):

Okay, you want to get past the guard. You've decided to use your <social skills> instead of <physical violence> Right! You've decided to use <persuasion instead of intimidation> instead of (in a physical scenario) <sword instead of spell>. The challenge here is that he doesn't want to let you. Are you... Lying/misdirecting or telling the truth? If lying, having the guard let you through, or trying to get the guard to go away? If trying to get let through, will you have to redo a challenge to get back out? These are simpler quesions than even the most basic "I hit the gnoll with my sword" questions, depending on the context. It's really fine, and it's totally fine to sometimes handwave it, and sometimes stick to it, and sometimes guide players through it more or less just like any other system in the game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Splicer posted:

I've been wondering this.

The amount of qualification is seriously mystifying:

"We are playing with my uhh friend, who made the choice to play a character with a high Persuasion skill relative to the party and also specifically decided to use that skill to solve this obstacle instead of sneaking around back or killing the guard, but also my friend is brutally shy and also simultaneously exhausted and bored to the point that they can't even begin to think of ways you can even try to persuade someone, and also is this really that important? I mean I know it was specifically put in the game as a obstacle but maybe this is the kind of obstacle we can just like skip, or well not skip but just do a quick roll because gently caress it? Also who are you to tell me how to play this game?"

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

Hey guys, I have a player whose personal mission (ie, side goal unrelated to the "main quest") is finding an old flame. He got a message from her about, uh, either doing a job together or helping her fence something, and when he went to the town she specified, it was sacked by marauding drow (figuring out what is up with the drow is the main quest), and she was nowhere to be seen. The campaign is now also about the player stronghold near this town, rebuilding it, local politics, etc, while figuring out why the drow are suddenly so bold.

What are some good twists some of you DMs out there might employ at your table, that have nothing to do with this slavering abomination of a discussion?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Remora posted:

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

Hey guys, I have a player whose personal mission (ie, side goal unrelated to the "main quest") is finding an old flame. He got a message from her about, uh, either doing a job together or helping her fence something, and when he went to the town she specified, it was sacked by marauding drow (figuring out what is up with the drow is the main quest), and she was nowhere to be seen. The campaign is now also about the player stronghold near this town, rebuilding it, local politics, etc, while figuring out why the drow are suddenly so bold.

What are some good twists some of you DMs out there might employ at your table, that have nothing to do with this slavering abomination of a discussion?

She was forced--because the inaction of the traditional town leadership--to scrounge together and lead an underground resistance movement to Drow invaders

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pro tip: put casters under the goalposts so they're easier to move.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If your players are so zonked out that they can't form complete thoughts or sentences please look after them instead of forcing themselves to harm themselves playing an elfgame

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Remora posted:

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

Well the obvious one is that they sacked the town to get the thing. This can branch to either she ran off with it and is in hiding, she was captured (along with the thing), she got away but they got the thing, or she got away but lost the thing.

Then is the thing vital to (bad Drow plan) or vital for foiling (bad Drow plan) or just something the Drow want that causes them to stumble upon (bad Drow plan) or none of the above and the Drow only attacked because they thought she was calling in adventurers to mess with (bad Drow plan) but actually it was something super mundane.

Also throw in a slavering abomination

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Besesoth posted:

Pro tip: put casters under the goalposts so they're easier to move.

Pro tip put fighters under the goalposts if you want to move them they're stronger.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Remora posted:

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

The drow aren't acting out of aggression, but out of desperation. Below ground, they're losing a war and raiding for supplies and slaves topside is what they've resorted to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thespaceinvader posted:

Pro tip put fighters under the goalposts if you want to move them they're stronger.
I persuade the fighters

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
If I want to be a fancy Elven Swordsman that's not a fighter how is the Kensei? Is it fun? Is it actually any good mechanically?

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Remora posted:

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

The girl was a Drow infiltrator all along.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Those are excellent! Do any of those bring to mind any good D&D anecdotes about how similar twists paid off (or failed to) in any of your campaigns? I would be genuinely interested in reading them!

Also, taking statblock suggestions for a slavering abomination.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Remora posted:

uhhhhhhhhh o_o

She rolled a 1 to persuade the drow to leave her alone

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Splicer posted:

Also throw in a slavering abomination

you should have several at the table ahahahaha

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Remora posted:

Those are excellent! Do any of those bring to mind any good D&D anecdotes about how similar twists paid off (or failed to) in any of your campaigns? I would be genuinely interested in reading them!

Also, taking statblock suggestions for a slavering abomination.
Slavering Abomination
A literally indescribable horror
AC: 10 + X for each word used to describe the player's attack.
Saves: 8 + X for same.
HP: Yes
Attack: Roll 1d6 to choose an attack. None of them have descriptions and they all deal Y damage.
Persuade: Bonus Action. The player takes Y psychic damage and is Persuaded

Special: The Slavering Abomimation can be defeated by a player defeating it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it can also take a legendary action once per round. It can take this legendary action after another creatures turn

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Pro tip: Shoot the slavering abomination until it dies

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Splicer posted:

Slavering Abomination
A literally indescribable horror
AC: 10 + X for each word used to describe the player's attack.
Saves: 8 + X for same.
HP: Yes
Attack: Roll 1d6 to choose an attack. None of them have descriptions and they all deal Y damage.
Persuade: Bonus Action. The player takes Y psychic damage and is Persuaded

Special: The Slavering Abomimation can be defeated by a player defeating it.

I'll assume that neither the GM nor the players are allowed to describe how the Slavering Abomination dies if it is finally killed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TotalHell posted:

I'll assume that neither the GM nor the players are allowed to describe how the Slavering Abomination dies if it is finally killed.

If the players describe how the Slavering Abomination dies it returns to life with 25% max HP.

Also "Slavering Abomination of a thread" seems like a good new title.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We have a player at my table who does not like to roleplay, it clearly makes her uncomfortable. That is OK. This is not a problem for her we are trying to solve on her behalf. So in any situation where she has to interact with an NPC we just kind of gloss over that with as little awkwardness as possible and move on, although everyone is friends enough that asking her to RP is basically an in-joke and not a weekly hazing.

While it's not technically necessary to ask her how she attempts to intimidate an NPC because the task resolution is so simple, it always happens because otherwise the next narrative beat is unclear, in the same way you want to specify how you're using your Athletics skill to climb a tower. She is not required to "do a voice" but if she has a line of argument, great.

I suppose at a less mature or more "serious" table where you have to speak in-character at all times or something (not anyone's taste where I play), we would be obliged to insist on making her "learn" (be uncomfortable and then eventually leave the group, most likely). We all can barely keep a straight face while playing elfgames as it is so that's never coming up at my table.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

evol262 posted:

No, because I only started reading this thread yesterday, and now I wish I wouldn't have, since it's apparently populated by extremely literal grognards who can take extremely uncontroversial statements like "the DM makes the rules" (in the context of "rolling for social skills is not sufficient for my playgroup" or "firearms are not allowed here" or "classes/races from these sourcebooks only") to mean that I believe the DM has the purview to alter the fundamental rules of the game on the fly, rather than setting expectations at session zero

Tough day huh? They were talking to me. I said that. Everyone is making fun of you because you said "the DM is god." This isn't what you're quoting yourself as saying, and I figure it would do you good to note the distinction. One of the statements is sort of noteworthy as an inflammatory chunk of rhetoric you mostly see in grogblogs and bad RPG marketing literature. It's actively detrimental to what friends should be doing at a table, which is even communication. It puffs up the ego of your buddy so they think they don't have to listen to their friends anymore. You probably didn't mean any of that. It's just what that phrasing tends to suggest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We have a player at my table who does not like to roleplay, it clearly makes her uncomfortable. That is OK. This is not a problem for her we are trying to solve on her behalf. So in any situation where she has to interact with an NPC we just kind of gloss over that with as little awkwardness as possible and move on, although everyone is friends enough that asking her to RP is basically an in-joke and not a weekly hazing.

While it's not technically necessary to ask her how she attempts to intimidate an NPC because the task resolution is so simple, it always happens because otherwise the next narrative beat is unclear, in the same way you want to specify how you're using your Athletics skill to climb a tower. She is not required to "do a voice" but if she has a line of argument, great.
See, this has been my thinking this whole time. Neither as a player or a GM do I feel anyone has to do a voice or speak in character or do long, involved scenes to participate. What I do feel is that bolded bit. If you say "I bluff my way persuade the guard to let me pass" I'll be like, OK, what happens if we meet that guard later? What will he say on the way out? Have we angered a minor functionary or gained an ally or forged a useful idiot? Can I maybe do a little comedy with this guy later? What does failure look like? And it doesn't take a lot for any of this. And if someone is genuinely incapable of coming up with a vague "I tell him I have an important meeting at the palace" and counting on their +7 to persuade to make it believable then I'll be happy with them saying "Uh... I can't think of anything" and throwing it to the table. And yes you can create a blank white room scenario where the guard literally exists as something to persuade your way past with no other impact on the storyline whatsoever but in that case why are you even rolling? Why is the guard there at all?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

theironjef posted:

Tough day huh?

No. I'm just amazed even as someone who's been playing tabletop wargames, mtg, and RPGs for 20 years how spergy and antagonistic the last few pages have been. It's like a microcosm of everything that's wrong with discussions on the internet and a melange of comic book guy tropes.

theironjef posted:

They were talking to me. I said that. Everyone is making fun of you because you said "the DM is god." This isn't what you're quoting yourself as saying, and I figure it would do you good to note the distinction.
I don't get my back up about anything on internet forums, and my take probably isn't original, but wow, was this thread a shocker instead of chill discussions. That's mostly what the post is about. Who cares about me? Everyone chill out. It's not high school debate, and internet strangers aren't gonna convince you to play differently.

theironjef posted:

One of the statements is sort of noteworthy as an inflammatory chunk of rhetoric you mostly see in grogblogs and bad RPG marketing literature. It's actively detrimental to what friends should be doing at a table, which is even communication. It puffs up the ego of your buddy so they think they don't have to listen to their friends anymore. You probably didn't mean any of that. It's just what that phrasing tends to suggest.

Well, I don't read grogblogs or RPG marketing literature. "The DM/GM is god" has been a trope since at least first ed (when I started playing), and my take is basically that anyone who reads it as "authority of the DM extends outside of the game" has either had really bad experiences, is actively trying to take offense, can't take a joke, or a combination of the above. Again, better to just chill out. Life's too short to be angry or snarky all the time.

Not directed at you, just in general.

Back on topic, this seems like a great time to throw in a bunch of mooks or dead villagers and a devourer

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

lightrook posted:

The adventure is basically fine even if everyone is playing characters they rolled up themselves, so one small permutation is a complete non-issue. Games are meant to be fun, so try things that seem fun!

I figured, I just wanted to be sure. Also this is kind of a clunky group for a couple reasons (session one had 7 PCs which was poor, a player or two aren't really into it, etc.) and everybody but one haven't played D&D in a decade or more, so I don't want to overwhelm the group with how much of a deep dive I've done into the PHB. Though I will vent the double-sided frustration of not being too nosy in regards to other people's characters while at the same time knowing they're not reading all the stuff on their character sheet (I had to point out the bonus healing Life domain gives the clerics, for example).

I think what I'm leaning towards pitching to the group is that when we hit level 3 we all take a look at the options that would have been available to us and if we want to tweak some things (clerics changing domain, etc.) we can. There's another fighter player who I'm hoping will back me up when he sees our big level 3 pick-up under the railroaded rules is...+1 crit range.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The premade characters all use the most boring archetypes (seriously, two champions?) so you're doing everyone a favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Any tips for cutting down LMoP to scale for three PCs? I assume I should cut a Goblin here and there from various encounters, but anything beyond that?