Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I’m just loving around.

There are like 4 PC gamers itt that could probably use an atomic wedgie irl though.

you can't do the "NEEEEEEEEERDS!!!! :argh:" thing when you are just nerd lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was born to be wild no one can tell me what to do.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Turok Evolution strikes me as having all the ingredients of what woulda been a great shlocky game but it just all didn't work together.

I mean, you play as a Native American warrior fighting dinosaurs, what more fitting enemy can there be than a cowboy riding a T-Rex?

Actually there's a couple FPSes that have a mystical native american protagonist for no particular reason that don't really suffer for it.

No there was a reason for this and that reason was that Acclaim ought to make some games with all these comic book licenses they've just bought so why not adapt the one about a Native American warrior named Turok who's lost in time fighting hyper intelligent dinosaurs?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

you can't do the "NEEEEEEEEERDS!!!! :argh:" thing when you are just nerd lite

No goon is nerd lite in any sense

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I actually played through Dragon Quest. I don't remember which one it was but it was the most popular one because every Japanese person insisted that it was good. I don't remember a single thing about it. It wasn't even that long ago. Dragon Quest is a boring rear end series.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lambert posted:

PC gaming is way way way more mainstream than console gaming. I know plenty of people that only play Leage of Legends, for example.

I don't know anyone who plays league of legends

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tuo posted:

The first couple of missions of Wolfenstein: The old blood are awful.

Yeah agreed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I actually played through Dragon Quest. I don't remember which one it was but it was the most popular one because every Japanese person insisted that it was good. I don't remember a single thing about it. It wasn't even that long ago. Dragon Quest is a boring rear end series.

They are the Cracker Barrell of RPGs; old fashioned, bland, and inextricable tied to morally bankrupt outlooks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't play a dragon quest because the main character always looks like the goofiest dweeb I ever done seen

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i can't play a dragon quest because it's racist against dragons

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I was born to be wild no one can tell me what to do.

okay but please start showering anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dragon Quest seems basically like the Japanese version of Call of Duty or whatever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

I can't play a dragon quest because the main character always looks like the goofiest dweeb I ever done seen

My nephue has the latest one for ps4. I saw him playing it and the main character is just Android 17 from Dragonball Z, but wearing a middleages outfit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

My nephue has the latest one for ps4. I saw him playing it and the main character is just Android 17 from Dragonball Z, but wearing a middleages outfit.

Akira Toriyama is the primary character designer for those games. See also Chrono Trigger, where Crono is blond Goku.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i can't play a dragon quest because it's racist against dragons

Its why Dragon Quest isnt allowed inside Cracker Barrel.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The White Dragon posted:

i played the game at launch. the ending slides that say the gates were eventually repaired weren't patched in for months. how loving lazy is that, you can't even be assed to write two dozen paragraphs for the end of your epic space opera trilogy until people complain about how trash your ending is. last bioware game i ever bought, and ever will

ME3 broke me of falling for the preorder scam, until Fallout 4, which served to convince me to never doubt that decision again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you pre-order new video games you deserve to be disappointed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If you engage with new releases at all you kinda deserve to be disappointed. Especially if you are playing them on the back of other peoples hype. Its just people buying into marketing.

Playing games later for cheaper outside of the hype bubble is a good thing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If you engage with new releases at all you kinda deserve to be disappointed. Especially if you are playing them on the back of other peoples hype. Its just people buying into marketing.

Playing games later for cheaper outside of the hype bubble is a good thing.

for single player yeah, but a game you play with other people is substantially hurt by trying to get into it when everyone has either quit playing or has played way too much for a new guy to keep up.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Lambert posted:

30 FPS feels way worse to play (higher input latency) and looks like a slideshow.

60 FPS are a must.

Remember when Peter Jackson announced that film would be 48fps from now on and everyone on earth told him to gently caress off because it looked bad

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

for single player yeah, but a game you play with other people is substantially hurt by trying to get into it when everyone has either quit playing or has played way too much for a new guy to keep up.

see: Artifact, Valve's version of Magic the Gathering, in which individual cards were worth $20-30/ea at first, and then the playerbase dropped something like 95% in 3 months, and now you can buy the full cardset for like $50.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jokes posted:

If you pre-order new video games you deserve to be disappointed.

If you really want the preorder bonus you can return the game if it sucks

quote:

Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any title that is requested within 14 days of purchase and has been played for less than 2 hours. Even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can submit a request and we'll take a look at it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

13Pandora13 posted:

... until Fallout 4, which served to convince me to never doubt that decision again.

drat dude did you like go into this completely blind or what because FO4 looked pretty dogshit from the earliest previews onwards and i say that as a guy who really liked both FO3 and FONV

the nfl ad spots looked hype AF but basically every early screenshot showed off some new and innovatively bad aspect of the UI design

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

13Pandora13 posted:

ME3 broke me of falling for the preorder scam, until Fallout 4, which served to convince me to never doubt that decision again.

ME2 was the last game I bought on release until Fallout 4. I didn't even preorder FO4, I just didn't follow my "wait a year and buy it at 99.9975% discount" rule.

And yeah just like you I should have kept to my principles. Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

food court bailiff posted:

drat dude did you like go into this completely blind or what because FO4 looked pretty dogshit from the earliest previews onwards and i say that as a guy who really liked both FO3 and FONV

the nfl ad spots looked hype AF but basically every early screenshot showed off some new and innovatively bad aspect of the UI design

yeah lol, I was turned off that game from the first E3 teaser

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FO4 isn't a bad game, it's just a bad fallout game. Its not a good game either, of course, unless compared directly to fo76

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 20, 2019

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

food court bailiff posted:

More or less, I don't have cable/a TV box and "looks like dogshit" was not an unexpected trait of a Bethesda game. I assumed it'd be roughly to par with FO3.

I was incorrect, but that was my train of thought.

I got the PipBoy edition and everything :negative: Took off 3 days of work, 6-8 hours in quit FO4 and spent the rest of my time off replaying NV.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FoolyCharged posted:

If the multiplayer is dead after a while it's probably not worth playing at all

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

More or less, I don't have cable/a TV box and "looks like dogshit" was not an unexpected trait of a Bethesda game. I assumed it'd be roughly to par with FO3.

I was incorrect, but that was my train of thought.

I got the PipBoy edition and everything :negative: Took off 3 days of work, 6-8 hours in quit FO4 and spent the rest of my time off replaying NV.

Happy ending at least :unsmith:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Away all Goats posted:

If the multiplayer is dead after a while it's probably not worth playing at all

This is true

Except for titanfall 2

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I haven't preordered a game since Wind Waker but I'm probably gonna break that streak for Cyberpunk 2077.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The first game I ever preordered was starfox 64 w/ the rumble pack and it was the right call

is pepsi ok posted:

Cyberpunk 2077.
:same:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i feel like the lines of preordering are much blurrier in the digital age, like i bought and paid for Dark Souls: Remastered, smash bros, and the Crash trilogy remaster for Switch the day before they came out so i could download and install them and be ready to play whenever they unlocked. i would not say i 'preordered' any of them (hell two of the games were remasters of games i already own and know i enjoy, and i was always hype for smash so that was day 1 regardless) but it's hazy

does sekiro really not have any multiplayer stuff at all because i'm going into it completely blind...

also the bloodstains in Nioh > bloodstains in BBSouls. seeing "oh, well a bunch of dudes died here" is a lot cooler/more helpful if you can immediately fight them and realize their gear was terribly suited to the fight or w/e

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

If you really want the preorder bonus you can return the game if it sucks

lol I bought Steep, played it for 2:20, which is how long it took me to gently caress around with every single setting to try to get it to run at better-than-dogshit FPS, and Valve told me to go gently caress myself when I asked for a refund. I even offered to show them the recorded footage of 2 hours of me changing settings, quitting and restarting, and repeating. I think I played 1 actual course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also the two-hour limit is not a good time frame to figure out that a strategy game, RTS, or 4X is crap.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A lot of games have a vastly different feel to the first hour or so of the game, usually more overproduced and cinematic or whatever. Plus the appeal of a lot of games is in the endgame.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol I bought Steep, played it for 2:20, which is how long it took me to gently caress around with every single setting to try to get it to run at better-than-dogshit FPS, and Valve told me to go gently caress myself when I asked for a refund. I even offered to show them the recorded footage of 2 hours of me changing settings, quitting and restarting, and repeating. I think I played 1 actual course.

honestly the problem here is your lovely pc, followed by you buying the game without reading the specs, and then you ignoring the warning signs that this wasn't going to work for over 2 hours

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Also the two-hour limit is not a good time frame to figure out that a strategy game, RTS, or 4X is crap.
True, I got burned by civbe. It balances out though because a good strategy game is playable for years and probably the best value you'll ever get out of your :20bux: on steam

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 20, 2019

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

A lot of games have a vastly different feel to the first hour or so of the game, usually more overproduced and cinematic or whatever. Plus the appeal of a lot of games is in the endgame.

Most people never get to the end of most games, which is for the best because they are way too long and there's other stuff to do. Discussions of "endgame content" are a clear sign of a disordered mind.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i love music and i love roguelikes and i just have never been able to get into crypt of the necrodancer, and i am very disappointed the new zelda spinoff game isn't just a fresh top-down zelda from an indie studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

honestly the problem here is your lovely pc, followed by you buying the game without reading the specs, and then you ignoring the warning signs that this wasn't going to work for over 2 hours

True, I got burned by civbe. It balances out though because a good strategy game is playable for years and probably the best value you'll ever get out of your :20bux: on steam

nah you're actually wrong, it was well below my PC specs and I spent time trying to figure out if there was 1 or 2 specific settings that were poorly optimized, as well as following a bunch of forums posts about other peoples' experiences getting it going :)

what a weird and pointlessly hostile series of assumptions to make!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 20, 2019