Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Housh posted:

EarPods were uncomfortable and would pop out. I usually wear inner ear buds or headphones. AirPods fit perfectly for me. It's a mystery. I love my AirPods and I came late to the game. I will buy the revision at launch of the sound drivers are better.
Yup, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with the proper ear geometry because I run ~4 miles a day with AirPods and they have never fallen out, not even once. There was a period where I had to get over the anxiety that would happen, because it did all the time with the "designed for running" earbuds I was using before. I think not having the tension of the cord to pull on the buds is doing a lot of the work there, but they also just fit correctly in my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AirPods fit is only a problem for me if I’m crouching down and craning my neck under something because my kid knocked his Hot Wheels under the sofa or whatever. The left one always wants to fall out because my left ear is slightly bigger, I guess. When I’m sitting, standing or walking they’re rock-solid. I can’t speak to running because I am an extremely lazy man who has not exercised in over five years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When I tried them, I didn't have any problem with them falling out, I had a problem with jamming hard plastic into my ear being ridiculously uncomfortable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They don’t fit me at all. They also sound like utter poo poo (which I guess I becaue they need to fit properly to sound good)

I think I'll stick with my WH-1000XM3s

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Longer battery for talk time would be swell too in a revision. I love using the AirPods for phone calls.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

sometimes I bend over and even then my AirPods don’t fall out

I think they fit better than EarPods, but maybe it’s all in my head

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

sometimes I bend over and even then my AirPods don’t fall out

I think they fit better than EarPods, but maybe it’s all in my head
Of course it is. Where else would you put them?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Of course it is. Where else would you put them?

Anal sounding is a thing as I understand it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If you stuck some headphones up your rear end because you wanted to try anal sounding... you might be a Something Awful poster!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

If you stuck some headphones up your rear end because you wanted to try anal sounding... you might be a Something Awful poster!!

Just don't eyeball it. That's how you get pink eye.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone recommend a good app for creating my own flashcards based on photos of physical cards I have? Doesn't need to OCR or anything, just something that shows me one side, lets me flip it over and manually mark whether I was correct or not. SRS would be nice but not essential.

It's for language grammar stuff, so the answers would be too awkward for usual flashcard apps for vocabulary where you can just have the word in the language and then type in the translation like in Memrise.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Can anyone recommend a good app for creating my own flashcards based on photos of physical cards I have? Doesn't need to OCR or anything, just something that shows me one side, lets me flip it over and manually mark whether I was correct or not. SRS would be nice but not essential.

It's for language grammar stuff, so the answers would be too awkward for usual flashcard apps for vocabulary where you can just have the word in the language and then type in the translation like in Memrise.

StudyBlue is awesome.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

StudyBlue is awesome.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New AirPod launched. Hey Siri functionality, wireless charging case, new H1 chip, same awful for me design.

https://www.apple.com/airpods/

E: $199 with wireless case, $159 without. Case available alone for $79.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 20, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

New AirPod launched. Hey Siri functionality, wireless charging case, new H1 chip, same awful for me design.

https://www.apple.com/airpods/

E: $199 with wireless case, $159 without. Case available alone for $79.

Obvious first question: case compatible with gen 1?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The extended talk time and faster Bluetooth connection is great but I dunno if it’s worth the upgrade from gen 1. I wish at least they were in black or sound better.

I should stick to the plan and wait for gen 3.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

TraderStav posted:

yes - they are offering the case standalone for $79

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My AirPods are about 15 months old and still holding up pretty well. I hear the batteries will start crapping out at the two year mark so new AirPods are probably on my list for 2020.

I wonder if Jony Ive has the same ear shape as Steve Jobs or if Jobs made Ive design earbuds he knew he would never be able to enjoy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Yes, the BUY page says it is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why has Apple been silently refreshing stuff this week? New iPads, Macs, now AirPods.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because they want their even next week to focus on services, but it's time for these things to launch, so they don't want to wait for WWDC. Only the iPads are really kinda sorta *new* anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hey Siri functionality is great but not worth replacing for imo. :negative:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Getting the wireless case is (for me at least). I'll plunk down $80 for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I actually am not a big fan of hey Siri, and really voice commands in general. I used to use it more, but I both don’t like talking out loud like that at work or in public, and I keep finding just grabbing my phone to be easier.

So yeah, I don’t use my AirPods enough to justify the upgrade. I’ll be curious to hear the reviews on if the sound quality is really better.

Otherwise, if I want wireless charging I’ll just order the updated case I’m not kidding myself there’s a 50% chance I upgrade because I’m too much of an Apple snob at this point

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey Siri's best use case is in a car. But anyone using headphones in a car is a dingus so good job on that one Apple. :v:

The rest of the refresh is pretty nice though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I might jump on the new wireless for sure. Speaking of AirPods have anyone had issues with the charging? My left AirPod consistently charging up to around 96-98% but it never shows 100%. The right one charges to full most of the times but sometimes does the same thing. I’ve cleaned the case and the connection point on the AirPods but even now it just shows the charging status intermittently connecting and disconnecting once they get to a high enough charge. I’m curious if the case is just selecting turning on and off or if there’s an issues with the connection point itself. Either way I’ll wait for the case to be available in store and ask about the old case while I’m there just to be sure it’s not an issue with the AirPods themselves.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 20, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any go-to Qi pads? Anker is usually solid, but there's a lot of cheap options out there, and the worst thing that can happen is that they don't last a bunch of years, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Any go-to Qi pads? Anker is usually solid, but there's a lot of cheap options out there, and the worst thing that can happen is that they don't last a bunch of years, right?

Anker is $20 on amazon and works great.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wait a second. I thought some of us late AirPods buyers got a revised case. What’s the silver magnet thing on the back of my case for? I thought it was for wireless charging.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

Wait a second. I thought some of us late AirPods buyers got a revised case. What’s the silver magnet thing on the back of my case for? I thought it was for wireless charging.

That’s the hinge. It’s always been there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

What? The only thing on the back is the sync button. The revised version added an LED to the outside.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I might jump on the new wireless for sure. Speaking of AirPods have anyone had issues with the charging? My left AirPod consistently charging up to around 96-98% but it never shows 100%. The right one charges to full most of the times but sometimes does the same thing. I’ve cleaned the case and the connection point on the AirPods but even now it just shows the charging status intermittently connecting and disconnecting once they get to a high enough charge. I’m curious if the case is just selecting turning on and off or if there’s an issues with the connection point itself. Either way I’ll wait for the case to be available in store and ask about the old case while I’m there just to be sure it’s not an issue with the AirPods themselves.

I have similar issues with my right one, but, also, I washed it so all bets are off.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

What? The only thing on the back is the sync button. The revised version added an LED to the outside.
Holy poo poo I just noticed that button. What does it do exactly? Put it in discovery mode?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Housh posted:

Holy poo poo I just noticed that button. What does it do exactly? Put it in discovery mode?

For non apple Bluetooth pairing yeah.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's also a reset button, and clears BT memory.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, since the Airpod (Second Generation) requires it, iOS 12.2 oughta rear its ugly head pretty soon, maybe before Monday?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did they mention anything about improved sound or volume? I assume not.

$199 is a pretty hefty price for some wireless charging not sure if it’s worth it or not honestly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple claims this in their online ad:

Apple posted:

Powered by the all-new Apple H1 headphone chip, AirPods deliver a faster and more stable wireless connection to your devices — up to 2x faster when switching between active devices, and a 1.5x faster connection time for phone calls.

The H1 chip also drives voice-enabled Siri access and delivers up to 30 percent lower gaming latency.

So whether you’re playing games, listening to music, or enjoying podcasts, you’ll experience higher-quality sound.

Kinda vague, but I guess when people start reviews we'll know for sure

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 20, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If normal wired Apple earbudpodswhatever fit my ears, will the wireless ones work just fine? And I mean, while running for a job excluding weird weight lifting angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Even if they don't, there's a bunch of silicon pullovers for Airpods up on Amazon that will let you use regular style earbuds with the Airpods.

Just search for 'airpod adapter' or 'airpod hooks'

The adapters' big disadvantage is that due to their shape you can't leave them on to charge the Airpods, you have to pull them off so they'll fit in the charger.