Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Just finished watching Paranoia Agent. Wow. This show didn't pull its punches, huh? Just a full on frontal blunt hit with those themes.

i loved it

:yeah:

Have you seen any of Kon's movies? They're also all super good.

Perfect Blue is even (finally) getting an NA bluray release very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I forgot what she looked like

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Just finished watching Paranoia Agent. Wow. This show didn't pull its punches, huh? Just a full on frontal blunt hit with those themes.

i loved it

As A Kitten said, watch Satoshi Kon's movies if you haven't. My favorite is Millennium Actress, but Perfect Blue and Paprika are also excellent.

drat I wish we had that man making anime for another 40 years. :smith:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

aw :kimchi: what a good cat

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It has been nearly 2 months since Penguin Highway came out on blu-ray and there still aren't any subs that aren't gibberish. At this rate my preorder for the book might arrive before subs do.

I'm gonna systemically destroy all fansubbers until I get what I want.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite kon is tokyo godfathers

its the best christmas movie ever made

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

Haruhi would like to have a word with you.

though to be fair I've never seen Tokyo Godfathers despite my friend lending me the dvd.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

Same

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This looks neat what is it?

Also I got my PS2 working somehow so now its time to play all the JRPG games I remember loving but were probably pretty bad and have not aged well. Tempted to start with the Suikoden games, though I dont remember finishing either Digital Devil Saga game despite liking them so maybe those.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

This looks neat what is it?
Super Robot Wars T. Crossover SRPG featuring a bunch of mecha franchises like Gundam, Mazinger, and Cowboy Bebop Is In This One For Some Reason. The last few SRW games have been getting really high quality english translations and T seems like the best of the bunch so far, so it comes recommended. Though Super Robot Wars V is notable for a scene in which the characters discuss at length why gay rights are human rights, and then beat up Dr. Hell.

Furnaceface posted:

Also I got my PS2 working somehow so now its time to play all the JRPG games I remember loving but were probably pretty bad and have not aged well. Tempted to start with the Suikoden games, though I dont remember finishing either Digital Devil Saga game despite liking them so maybe those.
Also play Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 while you're at it, those games are great.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Endorph posted:

:hai:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

Super Robot Wars T. Crossover SRPG featuring a bunch of mecha franchises like Gundam, Mazinger, and Cowboy Bebop Is In This One For Some Reason. The last few SRW games have been getting really high quality english translations and T seems like the best of the bunch so far, so it comes recommended. Though Super Robot Wars V is notable for a scene in which the characters discuss at length why gay rights are human rights, and then beat up Dr. Hell.

I havnt played a SRW game since the GBA and this looks actually kind of fun even though mechs really arent my thing normally. Im not seeing these being released outside Japan though, are they fan translations?

Endorph posted:

I never learned about those games until long after the PS2 era had come to an end. I hated the look of the judgement ring combat in Covenant since I suck poo poo at anything requiring timing, and I can only imagine I would hate it more now that Im old and slow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

I havnt played a SRW game since the GBA and this looks actually kind of fun even though mechs really arent my thing normally. Im not seeing these being released outside Japan though, are they fan translations?

every srw since v has had professional english translations, they're just packed into the asian release so you have to import them

quote:

I never learned about those games until long after the PS2 era had come to an end. I hated the look of the judgement ring combat in Covenant since I suck poo poo at anything requiring timing, and I can only imagine I would hate it more now that Im old and slow.

they don't require very precise timing, and in covenant you can even set the inputs to be optional if you're that bad, or set the yellow and red bars to be bigger so you have an easier time hitting them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

They're official english translations for SEA territories, like Singapore. You have to import them but the translations are very high quality.

Furnaceface posted:

the timing minigames in shadow hearts are pretty lax and you can buy equipment/modify the ring to make them easier, especially in covenant. the games arent really that hard either

the writing is insanely good so please play them

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Furnaceface posted:

Moon Dwellers, X, V and now T have English Asia official releases. So you have to import them, due to licensing, but they are official. The latter three are quite well done (and even have goon translators in some cases!). Moon Dwellers...well.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is the gameplay in SRW games actually good or is it just a delivery mechanism for Shinji and Asuka performing the God Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For the record, the good official translations are made by some of the same people who made the fan translations, they just got hired to do it officially.

Captain Cappy posted:

Is the gameplay in SRW games actually good or is it just a delivery mechanism for Shinji and Asuka performing the God Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken?

It's like something from an alternate dimension where tactics games developed into an entirely different evolutionary branch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Well, the latter thing doesn't happen.

Gameplay in SRW games is fun but its a fairly basic strategy RPG without much thought required even on the highest difficulty, it's mostly about seeing your favorite mechs wrecking shop. It accomplishes that well and has enough mechanics to get across each character/mech, which is the point of the exercise, so I'd say it's good at fulfilling its purpose. The real point of the series is the writing, though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shadow hearts 1 is also like 20 hours so it's not a big commitment

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Legit question, what happened in Japan recently to cause TWO fireman related works to be put into production? Like this seems like either an event happened, or info from one studio was leaked and the other got crackin'

Bit reminiscent of what happened with Pixar and Newt being beaten to the punch by Dreamwork's Rio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOd3Gbe1Abg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zqza91fYI

hnnnnn the music at the 34 sec mark in the Promare trailer. That OST gonna be lit :black101:

Not complaining either, because they both look dope as hell, but it seems like such an incredible niche genre for this to be a coincidence.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 21, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinitum posted:

Legit question, what happened in Japan recently to cause TWO fireman related works to be put into production? Like this seems like either an event happened, or info from one studio was leaked and the other got crackin'

Bit reminiscent of what happened with Pixar and Newt being beaten to the punch by Dreamwork's Rio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOd3Gbe1Abg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zqza91fYI

hnnnnn the music at the 34 sec mark in the Promare trailer. That OST gonna be lit :black101:

Not complaining either, because they both look dope as hell, but it seems like such an incredible niche genre for this to be a coincidence.

fire force was serialized in 2015, its anime debut coincided with trigger making promare. that's literally it

would be more grounds for amazement if sega announced a burning rangers revival

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Key visuals. Promare is 100% my jam.

hnnnn please have a Voltron gattai moment with all those vehicles.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Can't believe Kamina is a firefighter now

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
there is a shoujo manga about having a fireman bf also if you need more fireman content :3

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
and actually, isn't the male lead in yuasa's upcoming movie a firefighter

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

:hai:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

The DDS games are still cool, maybe don't touch any PS2 Suikoden other than V though. 3 I don't like but I don't know how popular that opinion is since I just read the manga for it and never bothered to finish that game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the art in the olympics comic, it updated today

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Abebe Bikila ended up transported back in time and I'm worried for him, please send him thoughts and prayers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/24671/olympic-circles

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Everyone loves abs.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

I like the art in the olympics comic, it updated today

I'm waiting for him to meet the yakuza grandpa from Thermae Romae.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

what's the ab panel from

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/31975/asebi-and-adventurers-of-sky-world

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vostok is complaining to me about the cold weather

tl/n: cold weather is 61 degrees according to him

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That's pretty chilly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

:kimchi: