Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Owning that much land would suggest savings of more than 1-3 yeas annual wages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

duckmaster posted:

Using South African pay scales is problematic due to the racism in South African society even before apartheid.

A slightly better comparison would be the rate of pay of a British soldier in WW2, about 2 shillings per day (14 per week, 728 per year). South African soldiers would presumably be on similar pay, provided they were white.

There are 20 shillings to a pound so £1448 is 28,960 shillings. Divide that by the private’s annual wage of 728, and £1448 is 39.7 years of pay.

A new recruit in the British Army today is paid £15,230 (whilst training, we’ll use that rate as a soldier today is far better trained, and for longer, than they were in the 1930s). Multiply that by 39.7 and you get £604,631.

This is backed up by property prices. The average house price in the UK in 1935 was £530, so £1448 would buy you 2.73 houses. The average price today is £226k, so £604k would buy 2.67 houses.

So I’d say that £604k is your answer?

Thank you for this calculation, by the way. I learned something today! :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duckmaster posted:

Owning that much land would suggest savings of more than 1-3 yeas annual wages!

Yeah

Might have been cheap even for the time though, as I know he had p much nothing when he emigrated from Denmark (though tbf that was in the mid-1890s, so he had some time to build up a bankroll). He's only listed as a "kelner" (waiter) in the Danish sources, but in his South African burial record, he is called "speculator, digger" which makes me think gold.

Also, the will is dated June 11, 1919 (putting it around his land purchases) that sets aside £500 to his sister and the rest to his illegitimate son (no other children).

Seems he had a huge windfall in ~1918 and put it to good use...

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
All of the streets named in the will are within 10-15 minutes walk from “The Big Hole” or Kimberley Diamond Mine, so I would guess diamonds. Interestingly however the mine closed in 1914 and he bought the properties afterwards. Apparently there were still 3 huge diamond mines in the town though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

duckmaster posted:

All of the streets named in the will are within 10-15 minutes walk from “The Big Hole” or Kimberley Diamond Mine, so I would guess diamonds. Interestingly however the mine closed in 1914 and he bought the properties afterwards. Apparently there were still 3 huge diamond mines in the town though.

Oh wow

Maybe the market just made it worth it to sit on those acres for 15 years, they all look like residential zones now. I notice two of them are quitrent which as far as I understand means he gets the land taxes from those lots, on top of whatever rents.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In july 1876 Maria Spelterini became the only woman to have crossed the Niagra gorge on tightrope. On july 8 she crossed the gorge, on july 12 she did it with peach basket strapped on her feet, on july 19 she did it blindfolded and finally on july 22 she crossed with her ankles and wrists manacled. Maria Spelterini then disappears from history and almost nothing is known about what happened to her after that.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

In july 1876 Maria Spelterini became the only woman to have crossed the Niagra gorge on tightrope. On july 8 she crossed the gorge, on july 12 she did it with peach basket strapped on her feet, on july 19 she did it blindfolded and finally on july 22 she crossed with her ankles and wrists manacled. Maria Spelterini then disappears from history and almost nothing is known about what happened to her after that.

Historians can only guess what happened to the woman who tightrope walked across rivers in increasingly dangerous circumstances. The best current guess is choking on a peach, only to have her body taken by wolves.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
I would have thought that the best current guess was to guess current.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ugh, the falloff in the quality of this thread.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

Ugh, the falloff in the quality of this thread.

be the change you want to see

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Has anyone heard of the Tiger tank, or “Tiger panzer”?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you know that the term picnic is racist because it comes from "Pick a N***" when rich southern families would randomly pick a slave to go out and lynch and have a lunch 'neath the twitching corpse.

Did you know "rule of thumb" was because a man was allowed to beat his wife with a rod, as long as the rod was no thicker than his thumb.

makes you think

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone heard of the Tiger tank, or “Tiger panzer”?

Is that a new anime?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tashilicious posted:

Did you know that the term picnic is racist because it comes from "Pick a N***" when rich southern families would randomly pick a slave to go out and lynch and have a lunch 'neath the twitching corpse.

Did you know "rule of thumb" was because a man was allowed to beat his wife with a rod, as long as the rod was no thicker than his thumb.

makes you think
Picnic

quote:

The first usage of the word is traced to the 1692 edition of Tony Willis, Origines de la Langue Française, which mentions pique-nique as being of recent origin; it marks the first appearance of the word in print. The term was used to describe a group of people dining in a restaurant who brought their own wine.

:thunk:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I was using well known historical factoids.

fun fact: Factoid originally meant something with no basis in fact but which is treated like it is. So factoid now being considered to be a "small, unimportant but interesting true statement" is a factoid.
:v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:thejoke:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The american Sherman was commonly known as the “Ronson lighter” because it tended to burst into flames after taking fire from a technologically-superior german tank, such as a “Panzer” IV.

Shermans in soviet service were named “the coffin of seven comrades”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The american Sherman was commonly known as the “Ronson lighter” because it tended to burst into flames after taking fire from a technologically-superior german tank, such as a “Panzer” IV.

Shermans in soviet service were named “the coffin of seven comrades”

I just want you to know how badly this post triggers me

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Did you know that Alfred Einstein may have eaten at least one pancake in his life?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Did you know that Alfred Einstein may have eaten at least one pancake in his life?

And 8 spiders a year

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

And 8 spiders a year

That's true of everyone, but Einstein preferred to eat them all at once.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

That's true of everyone, but Einstein preferred to eat them all at once.

Don't knock spider pancakes til you try them

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The musicologist?! Really?
I loved his Golden Age of the Madrigal: Twelve Five-Part Mixed Choruses!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Many think that Einstein won his noble price in physics for his theory of relativity, but did you know it was actually for his general theory of arachnophagia?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I thought it was arachnophilia?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I mean yeah

You have to like spiders if you want to eat them

Obviously

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bony tony posted:

I mean yeah

You have to like spiders if you want to eat them

Obviously
Or just be a slut like me :wink:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1864 the confederate army tried to burn down P. T. Barnum's American Museum. They failed and no whales were boiled alive and no monkeys were shot as they escaped on to the roof. Then 1868 happened:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1912 danish explorer Peter Freuchen was caught in an avalanche when he was exploring Greenland. Unable to free himself with his hands he fashioned a dagger out of his own frozen feces and was able to dig out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

In 1912 danish explorer Peter Freuchen was caught in an avalanche when he was exploring Greenland. Unable to free himself with his hands he fashioned a dagger out of his own frozen feces and was able to dig out.

my poop hero :allears:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

During World War II, Freuchen was actively involved with the Danish resistance movement against the occupation by Nazi Germany, despite having lost a leg to frostbite in 1926.[15] He openly claimed to be Jewish whenever he witnessed anti-semitism.[16] [17] Freuchen was imprisoned by the Germans, and was sentenced to death, but he managed to escape and flee to Sweden.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alhazred posted:

In 1864 the confederate army tried to burn down P. T. Barnum's American Museum. They failed and no whales were boiled alive and no monkeys were shot as they escaped on to the roof. Then 1868 happened:

At first I read that as the whales escaped to the roof and I was filled with questions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1553 Frantz Schmidt's father, Heinrich Schmidt, decided to watch the public execution of three men accused of plotting against the margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach, Albrecht II. Unfortunately for Heinrich his town did not have it's own executioner and he was randomly selected to hang the men. Since an executioner and his sons were barred from entering any other guilds this effectively doomed Frantz to become an executioner as well. He executed his first man in 1573. 45 years later he had, by his own accounts, executed 361 people. In 1617 he performed his last execution and it was so sloppy that he decided to retire. He then wrote to emperor Ferdinand II and asked to be released from his duty and that his family's honor should be restored. Ferdinand II granted his wish which meant that his sons could chose another profession and that his daughters could marry non-executioners. Frantz became a healer and when he died he received the ultimate honor: Official documents described him as "the honorable doctor Franz Schmidt, from Obere Wörhdstrasse" instead of "executioner Frantz Schmidt"-

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Mar 28, 2019

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Alhazred posted:

You can't mention Peter Freuchen without posting this picture:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

He also had a wooden leg (iirc because he had to cut his real leg off with a pocket knife due to frostbite) that he called "lortebenet" or "the poo poo leg".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

I'm not getting suckered by another story about a poop knife

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Krankenstyle posted:

He also had a wooden leg (iirc because he had to cut his real leg off with a pocket knife due to frostbite) that he called "lortebenet" or "the poo poo leg".

Actually he used his frozen feces to cut off the leg.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kennel posted:

Actually he used his frozen feces to cut off the leg.

Entirely possible.

He also won 64 grand on a US gameshow in the 1950s.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

You can't mention Peter Freuchen without posting this picture:

"What If Game of Thrones and Downtown Abbey had a cross over episode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scandinavian explorer: ok
Giant wearing an enormous fur coat: makes sense
Had a wooden leg: that's only fair
Caught in an avalanche, escaped via frozen poop knife: understandable
Won tens of thousands of dollars on a game show: my brain does the mental equivalent of the horrible grinding sound when you shift gears in a manual car but you let the clutch out before putting it in gear