Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avalerion posted:

At least in the games the pokemon has to be explicitly conscious to be caught.

Edit ... actually no, they can be asleep or paralyzed, just not...fainted? :psyduck:

It's obvious that "fainting" actually means they're dead. Once you catch a pokemon, the ball creates a back-up copy so once they die you can "revive" them. The Pokemon willingly fight for the trainer because they know that without their pokeball their next loss will be their last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In Black/White 2 and maybe the first ones it's explicitly stated that you are not allowed to leave town if you don't have a Pokemon. You are even stopped by a border guard to make sure you have a Pokemon before you're allowed out. In all the other games regular civilians tell you you can't go into long grass alone and get stopped by them but in Unova at least it's not just a safety recommendation but the law by the looks of it. Many NPCs across all the games say you're safe to travel on your own IF you have Pokemon and some including adults say they wish they had Pokemon so they could travel. Pokemon are real tough.

Also Team Rocket definitely poaches, with that wording used. This includes murder poaching as well as selling Pokemon on for profit. Cubone's mum rip.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Iron Crowned posted:

I do have to wonder how one gets their Trainer ID card, like does everyone get one when they turn Pokemon journey age? Or is it only the rich kids with single moms?

In the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, you have to do a trainer's class before you start your journey to make sure you know what you're doing. I thought that was a neat touch.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Do they explain how there are 4 kids in a backwater like Pallet Town who all turned 10 on the same date yet no one thought to make sure they had 4 of the approved starters available?

My assumption was that Pikachu was meant as the fourth but Oak purposely hid it away after he saw how rowdy it was, and then just crossed his fingers and hoped someone wouldn't show up. :v:

Of course, if Pokemon 4ever is anything to go by, then Oak knew Ash needed to start with Pikachu because of time travel shenanigans, so he purposely hid it when he saw Ash wasn't in the initial group with the other three.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 19, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Aw poo poo I forgot about that.
I bet that's how his dad knew he had to turn into a Mr Mime too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He turned into Mr Mime so he could never speak of the secrets of time travel

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

How do I turn into a mr. mime? I want to avoid that fate at any cost.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Aw poo poo I forgot about that.
I bet that's how his dad knew he had to turn into a Mr Mime too.

Nonsense. Everyone knows that Ash's real father is Prof. Oak. :colbert: Ash is the Josuke to Gary's Jotaro!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that Mr. Fuji was apparently involved in the Mewtwo project and the games gives you only the slightest hint of it and just moves along. RBY had pretty decent storytelling for its time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Silver2195 posted:

Nonsense. Everyone knows that Ash's real father is Prof. Oak. :colbert: Ash is the Josuke to Gary's Jotaro!

*pro oak

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vegetable posted:

I love that Mr. Fuji was apparently involved in the Mewtwo project and the games gives you only the slightest hint of it and just moves along. RBY had pretty decent storytelling for its time.

I love that Giovanni's end goal is very obviously capturing Mewtwo and most of what Team Rocket does in the game is leading up to that, but the game never actually comes out and just says it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he shouldve just used the master ball sitting in his office what a dumbass

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Super No Vacancy posted:

he was saving that for a level 41 fearow

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

That was the Silph Co. President's office, and he was hiding it from Giovanni, who had taken over the building while trying to steal it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he should've found it then

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vandar posted:

I love that Giovanni's end goal is very obviously capturing Mewtwo and most of what Team Rocket does in the game is leading up to that, but the game never actually comes out and just says it.

I think that’s part of the reason why the originals are still my favorites. There’s so little story, it feels more like just world building to immerse you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like gen 2 precisely because it's a bunch of petty bullshit going on and you're free to just do your thing

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

agreed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Anime Pikachu is a bit of a special case given from the first episode it refuses to go back into its Pokeball, and is particularly disobedient to the point where Ash has to literally drag it with an improvised harness. Makes sense for the last one at the bottom of the barrel. (since Ash, like any good video game protagonist, overslept)

IIRC the end of Mewtwo Returns seems to imply that Mewtwo is setting out to become a vigilante since he's finally convinced that humans aren't all bad nor all good. They should totally follow up on that, have Giovanni be his Lex Luthor, and Mewtwo ends up in a Legendary Pokemon Justice League with the Musketeers.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anime Pikachu is a bit of a special case given from the first episode it refuses to go back into its Pokeball, and is particularly disobedient to the point where Ash has to literally drag it with an improvised harness. Makes sense for the last one at the bottom of the barrel. (since Ash, like any good video game protagonist, overslept)

IIRC the end of Mewtwo Returns seems to imply that Mewtwo is setting out to become a vigilante since he's finally convinced that humans aren't all bad nor all good. They should totally follow up on that, have Giovanni be his Lex Luthor, and Mewtwo ends up in a Legendary Pokemon Justice League with the Musketeers.

I've been wanting them to follow up on the Mewtwo vigilante angle for years. It would be an amazing spin off.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I thought Pikachu and Ash taught him what love is or something in the first movie.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

There's an episode of the anime where the pokemon are separated from their trainers and it's shown with subtitles that they can all communicate as fluently and eloquently as Meowth does. Their constant name-saying is more like what Groot does; we just don't get it.
I like that ep because at some point I think Meowth tries to start a fight and the others are like, hey, *we* don't fight. *They* fight.
...and Bulbasaur jumps right to WELL WE HAVE BEEN ABANDONED THAT'S PEOPLE FOR YA

This was the very first episode of the anime I ever saw, before I even had played the games. I just assumed every episode was exactly like this and had subs for what the Pokémon were saying.

It also started my lifelong love of Bulbasaur. He's my #1 to this day.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nasgate posted:

I thought Pikachu and Ash taught him what love is or something in the first movie.

It's less "Power of love and friendship" and more "People aren't all assholes (even though they really kinda sorta are, especially in Shudo's grimdark fanfiction he accidentally turned into a multi-billion dollar franchise)"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Xander B Coolridge posted:

This was the very first episode of the anime I ever saw, before I even had played the games. I just assumed every episode was exactly like this and had subs for what the Pokémon were saying.

It also started my lifelong love of Bulbasaur. He's my #1 to this day.

Iirc Bulbasaur's Japanese name is a mix of two words. So he pops up in the original anime a lot because the first part of his name translates to "mystery" or "miracle"

So every time he pops up he's talking about how something is a mystery.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting, that shipwreck episode does show off Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle's established personalities pretty well, combined with them having not known Ash for very long yet.

Bulbasaur, having come from a hidden village where abandoned Pokemon are cared for, is familiar with the concept of a Pokemon being abandoned, and that's his immediate assumption; that Ash has abandoned them.
Squirtle, who's a troublemaker who had been getting along just fine on his own with his Squirtle Squad, isn't overly upset, and is even cracking (dark) jokes.
Charmander, however, already has abandonment issues because of his previous trainer, and so is pretty terrified that Bulbasaur may be right.

Pikachu, meanwhile, is of course all "SCREW YOU, HE'LL COME FOR US"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And it shows that Ekans and Koffing are good boys that listen to their bad trainers.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rudoku posted:

And it shows that Ekans and Koffing are good boys that listen to their bad trainers.

Honestly, all of Team Rockets Pokemon are so good. I imagine it's because they know they're never going to accomplish anything evil and are just having a good time being goofy. Or what I can tell from S&M, the bear just plain stops them from completing anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, whatever happened to Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing in the anime anyway?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do Jesse or James have even a single badge

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

indigi posted:

do Jesse or James have even a single badge

Jessie's taken part in a few contests and the two once filled in for Giovanni at the Viridian City gym but I don't think either of them have ever actually tried challenging a gym themselves.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

James is secretly the greatest trainer in the anime.

Larryb posted:

I forget, whatever happened to Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing in the anime anyway?

Arbok and Weezing went to go lead a group of Ekanses and Weezings towards the start of Hoenn.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nasgate posted:

Honestly, all of Team Rockets Pokemon are so good. I imagine it's because they know they're never going to accomplish anything evil and are just having a good time being goofy. Or what I can tell from S&M, the bear just plain stops them from completing anything.

Bewear getting reunited with her child (who then promptly joined the cast itself) was so touching :3:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

less laughter posted:

Bewear getting reunited with her child (who then promptly joined the cast itself) was so touching :3:

I know nothing about this, and somehow I am tearing up over that image.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I did too, it was a fantastic and instant classic episode.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Arbok and Weezing went to go lead a group of Ekanses and Weezings towards the start of Hoenn.

And Jessie traded James's Victreebell to the Magikarp salesman for a Weepinbell that would actually perform useful functions instead of trying to eat James. But then the Weepinbell evolved into a Victreebell and also started trying to eat James instead of performing useful functions. Meanwhile James's former Victreebell started trying to eat the Magikarp salesman. Jessie and the Magikarp salesman then both threw away their Victreebell in disgust, and the two now-wild Victreebell fell in love with each other and lived happily ever after.

Apparently the segment of the fandom that ships Jessie/James really hates that episode because it involves Jessie being an rear end in a top hat to James, not to mention the Victreebell, but there are a lot of episodes where Jessie, James, and Meowth are assholes to each other or do something outright horrifically evil. Their general evilness/assholishness fluctuate pretty wildly, really; as I've already observed, internal consistency is not really the Pokemon anime's (or the games') strong suit.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Iirc Bulbasaur's Japanese name is a mix of two words. So he pops up in the original anime a lot because the first part of his name translates to "mystery" or "miracle"

So every time he pops up he's talking about how something is a mystery.

Fushigidane, when rendered in kanji (不思議種) it means “mysterious seed/species”, but when it’s rendered in hiragana, (ふしぎだね) it means “mysterious, innit?”

Bulbasaur would be a great narrator. Put him in a planetarium, or make him the star of a sasquatch finding show.

I want bulbasaur to host the twilight zone. This is my dream.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I refuse to believe that a game with Sand and Coil had such a clever name.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

To be fair, it was among the first names they came up with. Nyorozo might have come before Fushigidane, but I could be misremembering.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I refuse to believe that a game with Sand and Coil had such a clever name.

To be fair, it was a Japanese game aimed at kids who presumably wouldn't have learned much English in school yet. And even in Gen I, some of the Japanese names worked well enough for an English-speaking audience that the localizers kept them. But yeah, the Japanese names for Gen I Pokemon are generally not great.

Edit: I was going through the list, and some of them are worse than I remembered. I like "Barrierd" for Mr. Mime, though; they're weird/nerdy and make barriers.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 21, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Many of the English gen I names are uncreative and lazy themselves, like Golem, Seel, Onix, Beedrill, Muk, Voltorb, Pidgey, Sandshrew...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, it was a Japanese game aimed at kids who presumably wouldn't have learned much English in school yet. And even in Gen I, some of the Japanese names worked well enough for an English-speaking audience that the localizers kept them. But yeah, the Japanese names for Gen I Pokemon are generally not great.

Edit: I was going through the list, and some of them are worse than I remembered. I like "Barrierd" for Mr. Mime, though; they're weird/nerdy and make barriers.

I think Berrierd is more likely "Barrier+Bard" like a performer. Though, traditionally bards are singers, but the Japanese might not have cared about that.