Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

i love music and i love roguelikes and i just have never been able to get into crypt of the necrodancer, and i am very disappointed the new zelda spinoff game isn't just a fresh top-down zelda from an indie studio

I've never actually played Necrodancer, but the Zelda preview kind of makes me want to.

Think of it more as a Four Swords Adventure-type stopgap until we get a proper new game. There's also the Link's Awakening remake (although I really can't stand the graphics style they're going with for that one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm really hyped for the LA remake but it's also a game that i've beaten a handful of time across nearly three decades, a truly new top-down would get me going

necrodancer is fun and i can see why people enjoy it but rhythm is just about the last thing i want to be thinking about when playing a roguelike

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i'm really hyped for the LA remake but it's also a game that i've beaten a handful of time across nearly three decades, a truly new top-down would get me going

necrodancer is fun and i can see why people enjoy it but rhythm is just about the last thing i want to be thinking about when playing a roguelike

I still haven't gotten around to Link Between Worlds, was it a worthy top-down Zelda game?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ograbme posted:

Remember when Peter Jackson announced that film would be 48fps from now on and everyone on earth told him to gently caress off because it looked bad

Games aren't movies. And plenty of TV is produced at 60 (or 50) FPS. Framerate improves motion clarity a great deal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poo poo actually i loved it and totally forgot i owned it and have not beaten it....i should find a 3ds charger somewhere

the nontraditional structure means that the difficulty curve is basically nonexistent but it's also good solid fun so idk

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

i love music and i love roguelikes and i just have never been able to get into crypt of the necrodancer, and i am very disappointed the new zelda spinoff game isn't just a fresh top-down zelda from an indie studio

Necrodancer is both a bad rhythm game and a bad roguelike and it's bullshit that game made it to Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Necrodancer is both a bad rhythm game and a bad roguelike and it's bullshit that game made it to Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam.

i actually agree with the first part of this post but far be it from me to poo poo on indie devs that capture the lightning hard enough to get a big-3 nintendo franchise spinoff

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I still haven't gotten around to Link Between Worlds, was it a worthy top-down Zelda game?

yeah it's awesome.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

nah you're actually wrong, it was well below my PC specs and I spent time trying to figure out if there was 1 or 2 specific settings that were poorly optimized, as well as following a bunch of forums posts about other peoples' experiences getting it going :)

what a weird and pointlessly hostile series of assumptions to make!

Resolutioncucks, man

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It is hands down the best 2D Zelda.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's excellent. Easily one of the best.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

they should let Capcom make some more Zelda games, the GBC Zelda were great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thank you for the responses I might have to take a long pause on Pokemon and get LBW done!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I have more fun playing pinball than I do with a majority of games when I stop to think about it.

I wonder if it's worth the investment...I mean of course not, but HOW stupid is it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I have more fun playing pinball than I do with a majority of games when I stop to think about it.

I wonder if it's worth the investment...I mean of course not, but HOW stupid is it?

pinball is awesome, but I feel like you would get bored if you bought your own. playing the same pinball table over and over would be less interesting than an arcade with a variety of tables.

of course if you have the money for a dozen pinball tables then go nuts

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It depends, really.

How old are you, and are you deaf, dumb, and/or blind?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's probably a good point about getting tired of one machine, but I'm going to seek out newer and more varied ones dammit!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo VR pinball feels so close to the real deal it's crazy, and way less of an investment/space hog.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Time_pants posted:

It depends, really.

How old are you, and are you deaf, dumb, and/or blind?

My uncle molested me, is that close enough?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I'd suggest paying as the Bard character, which doesn't have the music beat to play to and turns the game into a strictly turn-based RL that's more familiar. Even if you never touch the beat part of the game, at least you'll see all the cool design and get your money's worth.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't really see the point of that LA remake if it's just going to be tile-for-tile the same game. I already played that game. I was hoping for some kind of reimagining or maybe a full 3D version, since an island actually does sort of lend itself to open world exploration. The art style also doesn't really match the game I think, LA was Twin Peaks Zelda and should be a bit moodier.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FoolyCharged posted:

My uncle molested me, is that close enough?

Did he do it on a pinball machine?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've heard maintaining pinball machines is a nightmare

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard it's actually easier to maintain pinball machines if you play them regularly, since they're designed for extensive use. Most museums will apparently basically double as arcades.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

I don't really see the point of that LA remake if it's just going to be tile-for-tile the same game. I already played that game. I was hoping for some kind of reimagining or maybe a full 3D version, since an island actually does sort of lend itself to open world exploration. The art style also doesn't really match the game I think, LA was Twin Peaks Zelda and should be a bit moodier.

Yeah I'd much rather have a LA sequel. I just finished link between worlds and while it was great, I can't help but get a little pissed that they just sorta... re-used lttp hyrule.

I want to explore some new places, come on.

E: oh and I assume this has been said before but fuckin' a BOTW is a bad rpg and a terrible zelda game. It feels like someone slapped some nintendo IP on a drat ubisoft open world game and also somehow made it even less fun. The best quote from a "gamer" friend after I professed this opinion was him turning beet red and stammering "t-t-t-that's so disrespectful to the developers!" to which I replied "yeah, they deserve it" *sword breaks again*

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 21, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

The point of literally any remake is to get nerds to buy the game again, hth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ograbme posted:

Remember when Peter Jackson announced that film would be 48fps from now on and everyone on earth told him to gently caress off because it looked bad

Actual film doesn't work the same way as video game graphics. Sure, games look the best @24fps, lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

honestly lol if you buy a new monitor and don't get 144hz while you're at it these days. It's like <$100 difference if you don't get gsync. There are even gsync compatible freesync panels now that take a big chunk off the premium. It's like buying a 1080p tv, if they even sell that poo poo anymore

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol if you even watch the screen while playing games instead of watching Netflix on other monitor.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

honestly lol if you buy a new monitor and don't get 144hz while you're at it these days. It's like <$100 difference if you don't get gsync. There are even gsync compatible freesync panels now that take a big chunk off the premium. It's like buying a 1080p tv, if they even sell that poo poo anymore
i just use the asus monitor i bought 8 yrs ago. i don't know what any of these words mean.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What a bunch of nerds, I just game on a black and green IEG monitor I found in a hospitals dumpster

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zane posted:

i just use the asus monitor i bought 8 yrs ago. i don't know what any of these words mean.

well you only had to get 8 words in to see "if you buy a new monitor"

if your monitor breaks you can come back and read the rest

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i don't think i could articulate why at all but nuclear throne is a million times more fun than enter the gungeon, holy poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did game developers ever take advantage of 3D televisions to try and sell overpriced poo poo to the kind of idiot who would seriously buy a 3D tv?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Did game developers ever take advantage of 3D televisions to try and sell overpriced poo poo to the kind of idiot who would seriously buy a 3D tv?

I think the PS3 had like half a dozen games, tops

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Sony tried to push it for about 6 months and gave up.

If you bought a tv within the window of about 2013-2014 your TV probably has 3D whether you like it or not.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

i don't think i could articulate why at all but nuclear throne is a million times more fun than enter the gungeon, holy poo poo

Because Enter the Gungeon is slow-paced, stingy as hell with keys and even stingier with good weapons, has like maybe two bosses that are actually fun to fight, none of the characters are all that meaningfully different from each other after like the second floor, the player never feels powerful short of lucking into one of maybe three or four guns in the entire game, and it seems like the entire design philosophy is to thwart the player rather than challenge the player.

And, no, the content and balance patches and the Advanced Gungeons & Draguns release didn't fix this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Although it doesn't have a very clear purpose 3D screens and especially the 3DS is magical technology and I'm amazed every time I see it.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
smash still isn't a part of the fighting game community, but it can be a walled off annex where a bunch of CRTs and soiled pants are stored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Although it doesn't have a very clear purpose 3D screens and especially the 3DS is magical technology and I'm amazed every time I see it.

Even in games that use it very well (mostly first-party stuff), it feels tacked-on and unnecessary and was the biggest reason I didn't bother with one until like a year and a half ago when I heard about its really good library. I got a used new3dsXL for $100 from some dude in San Francisco who only used it to play the new Pokemon, and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm sure the 3d stuff was impressive enough to be a key selling point for a lot of people but it turned me off enough to not even look into it for years.

I still think it looks really cool though, even though it never really adds anything to any game I've ever played. Also you can take 3d pictures with it which is kind of cool (I literally did this once though).