Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jolteon being Thunders and Zapdos being Thunder is really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Jolteon being Thunders and Zapdos being Thunder is really really bad.

Yeah, the Eeveelutions and Legendary Birds have especially bad Japanese names. The continues into Gen II, at least for the Eeveelutions; Umbreon's Japanese name is Blacky.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Boober

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

BattleCattle posted:

Fushigidane, when rendered in kanji (不思議種) it means “mysterious seed/species”, but when it’s rendered in hiragana, (ふしぎだね) it means “mysterious, innit?”

Bulbasaur would be a great narrator. Put him in a planetarium, or make him the star of a sasquatch finding show.

I want bulbasaur to host the twilight zone. This is my dream.

The French version was inspired/lucky to translate it to Bulbizarre, sounding both like lézard (silent d) and bizarre.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 21, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

romanizing lapras’ “rapurasu” into laplace. now that’s paper

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So at what level does Lapras learn "Reveal the secret version of the Constitution that gives equal rights to magic space children?"

Or is it a heart scale only move.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

YaketySass posted:

The French version was inspired/lucky to translate it to Bulbizarre, sounding both like lézard (silent d) and bizarre.

The best French Pokemon names are for Grimer and Muk: Tadmorv ("Snotpile") and Grotadmorv ("Bigsnotpile"), respectively. Because that's what they looked like to him :v:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, the Eeveelutions and Legendary Birds have especially bad Japanese names. The continues into Gen II, at least for the Eeveelutions; Umbreon's Japanese name is Blacky.

If its good enough for like 3 of my grandpa's cats, its good enough for Pokemon. :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it fits with the two other gen 1 eevelutions, Acky and Packy. and who could forget the cut eeveelution from the green beta, Clide

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurieg posted:

So at what level does Lapras learn "Reveal the secret version of the Constitution that gives equal rights to magic space children?"

Or is it a heart scale only move.

This sounds like the plot of a Pokemon movie.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This sounds like the plot of a Pokemon movie.

I mean, it's a reference to the plot of a Gundam movie, but sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I mean, it's a reference to the plot of a Gundam movie, but sure.

I was gonna say an anime movie and I'm disturbed I was right, but I actually thought was the ramblings of some crazed indigo child conspiracy theorist type.

Well, same thing really.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's the Plot to Gundam Unicorn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Specifically the plot of gundam unicorn revolves around Laplace's Box which is some super secret thing that everyone is willing to fight and die over because it's super important. Then at the end it turns out it contains the Actual For Real Version of the space constitution that includes a clause to the effect of "Should psychic space children be born then the colonies should be granted full rights and autonomy." Which is some amazing forward thinking on the behalf of whoever wrote that constitution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The National Treasure sequels got loving wild.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

James is secretly the greatest trainer in the anime.

Nothin' secret about it

He's far kinder to his pokemon than Ash ever was

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Specifically the plot of gundam unicorn revolves around Laplace's Box which is some super secret thing that everyone is willing to fight and die over because it's super important. Then at the end it turns out it contains the Actual For Real Version of the space constitution that includes a clause to the effect of "Should psychic space children be born then the colonies should be granted full rights and autonomy." Which is some amazing forward thinking on the behalf of whoever wrote that constitution.

That..uh...sure is a plot twist alright. Also Gundam Unicorn? I know I'm out of the loop but when did that happen?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flopsy posted:

That..uh...sure is a plot twist alright. Also Gundam Unicorn? I know I'm out of the loop but when did that happen?

Uhh...nine years ago.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh...nine years ago.

Welp I'm officially old. Also that name's dumb as hell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Well.. I mean...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Flopsy posted:

would you tell it that to its face

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I was just looking through all the Grass-type moves, and wow, Grass attacks were really bad in Gen I. OK, Razor Leaf was legitimately good (since it basically always critted back then), but the only other Grass moves that dealt even moderate damage back then were Petal Dance (70 power, with a drawback) and Solarbeam (120 power, but wastes a turn). Meanwhile other types got moves like Dig, Earthquake, Body Slam, Hyper Beam (which didn't even skip a turn if it KOed), Psychic, Flamethrower, Surf, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump. Later gens made Grass moves much better (increased power for Petal Dance, sunlight providing a way to circumvent Solarbeam's drawback, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Power Whip, increased power for some of the Gen I moves in Let's Go).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

pity the dragon type

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Grass didn't have it as bad as Dragon or Bug or Ghost, at least.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I was just looking through all the Grass-type moves, and wow, Grass attacks were really bad in Gen I. OK, Razor Leaf was legitimately good (since it basically always critted back then), but the only other Grass moves that dealt even moderate damage back then were Petal Dance (70 power, with a drawback) and Solarbeam (120 power, but wastes a turn). Meanwhile other types got moves like Dig, Earthquake, Body Slam, Hyper Beam (which didn't even skip a turn if it KOed), Psychic, Flamethrower, Surf, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump. Later gens made Grass moves much better (increased power for Petal Dance, sunlight providing a way to circumvent Solarbeam's drawback, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Power Whip, increased power for some of the Gen I moves in Let's Go).

It took until Gen 7 to get a low-power physical grass move.
I'm glad we finally have Energy Ball at least.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Vine Whip?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Solumin posted:

It took until Gen 7 to get a low-power physical grass move.

Vine Whip has always been around.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

It took me until right now to remember Vine Whip.

In my defense I was thinking "low powered special attack that isn't complete garbage like Absorb" since fire and water have Ember and Bubble, but I checked leafage before posting and forgot what I was looking for.

My point is there seems to be a standard set of attacks and some types didn't have them for a while. Things like Ember/Bubble equivalents, elemental hyper beams, 90 damage/low pp attacks, 60 damage high pp attacks, etc.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Solumin posted:

My point is there seems to be a standard set of attacks and some types didn't have them for a while. Things like Ember/Bubble equivalents, elemental hyper beams, 90 damage/low pp attacks, 60 damage high pp attacks, etc.

Most of the equivalent moves seem to be the trio of Fire/Water/Electric or Fire/Ice/Electric rather then Fire/Water/Grass.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You know how some people don't shut up about Gen 5 being the best and poo poo?

They're right.

I'm playing White again after several years (played BW 3 times through after initial release), just got to the 5th gym's city and oof. It's good.
-Route design is really, really good. It's linear as hell, but what's nice is how wide it is. You can go straight and just get to the next area no problem, but there's a chunky amount of optional stuff literally off the beaten path. A whole desert and ruins, old railroad area overrun with grass, etc, just enough content to explore around that is optional. And exploration is handsomely rewarded in the early game. The first 3 gym leaders have hard counters in the areas around their cities. The elemental monkey, timburr/throh, and darumaku are all easy to get if you explore around before going to the gym.
-Cutscenes are brisk and feel 'natural'. You get a fight with N when you decide to go into the second gym, your friend challenge you often, there's two sequences in Nimbasa city you can tackle in any order. It feels less like the game is waiting for you to step into somewhere to start the next thing and more like when you decide to do something, the game will have some story to go along first.
-Level curve kinda owns. Not having the new EXP Share (in fact, Exp Share is optional and i didn't bother grabbing it) means you don't level everything as fast, means that levels going down after a gym is okay because whatever destroyed the last gym won't be as useful and you'll need to use the other pokemon that didn't jump levels during a gym.
-Nimbasa is a fun challenge because the first three gyms have hard counters nearby, Nimbasa doesn't. You can get the ground alligator before arriving in town, but it'll at best destroy Half the gym with lovely-ish moves (Dig is the best thing you can get at that point), and the other half is Emolga. The best counter to it is instead all the way back at the first cave you went to, like three towns back, either Drilbur with similar issues and having to wait on the dust cloud stuff, or a Roggenrola... IF you explored Castelia enough to get Eviolite, otherwise it doesn't survive Volt Switch enough. It's a strong wakeup call because the counters you can get can be dealt with by the gym, so you just gotta be good.
-The story is great. Plasma is spouting interesting stuff, and stealing pokemon. The community at large takes actual stances about this, and Gym Leaders who are respected members of the community, fight to stop Plasma's crimes... while giving thought to their BS and coming to their own conclusions to challenge Plasma. They don't just roll with it like a certain French Professor with a thing for redheads, and they don't just ignore the problem. They challenge Plasma back on all regards, but specially fight them whenever they commit violence. Meanwhile your friends are taking their opinions on that, and Bianca's is to grow and see the world and take in all these new views and opinions, while Cheren is fighting because that's what he knows, so far he is actively trying not to give thought about what's going on and what he himself is doing.

I love the detail that the town's mothers asked Juniper to give the main characters the pokedex quest simply as an excuse to get them all to explore the world and find who they want to be. The journey of pokemon is meaningless, it's just a convenient way to have kids come to age and figure out life. Cheren can't figure that out fully so he's super into catching pokemon.

I love these games, they're fun. My pokemon are super nice and i'm gonna get an icecream guy.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Vinylshadow posted:

Nothin' secret about it

He's far kinder to his pokemon than Ash ever was

His Magikarp would like a word.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They're right.

:hai: A good post.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They're right.

-Nimbasa is a fun challenge because the first three gyms have hard counters nearby, Nimbasa doesn't. You can get the ground alligator before arriving in town, but it'll at best destroy Half the gym with lovely-ish moves (Dig is the best thing you can get at that point), and the other half is Emolga. The best counter to it is instead all the way back at the first cave you went to, like three towns back, either Drilbur with similar issues and having to wait on the dust cloud stuff, or a Roggenrola... IF you explored Castelia enough to get Eviolite, otherwise it doesn't survive Volt Switch enough. It's a strong wakeup call because the counters you can get can be dealt with by the gym, so you just gotta be good.

I love these games, they're fun. My pokemon are super nice and i'm gonna get an icecream guy.

Iirc the best counter to Elesa's Emolga is Blitzle. It gets Lightning Rod and Motor Drive- both of which make it immune to Volt Switch, and Shockwave- so it gets around Double Team Spam.

Definitely agree on the rest of your points. Black and White own.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Funky Valentine posted:

James is secretly the greatest trainer in the anime.

He's secretly and genuinely the best helicopter pilot in the show, but it never really comes up or is commented on until they need somebody to fly one and he just jumps into the seat.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Well.. I mean...

PFFFFTTTT Oh sweet jesus I'm crying AHAHA

Takoluka posted:

would you tell it that to its face

Not only would I tell that to it's face I'd rent billboard space so it wouldn't miss it. Does it count by stomping it's foot and can only be piloted by virgin maidens? Does it use that horn to gore other robots to death? I'm dying to know.

edit: I'm guessing Gundam Mermaid was too rough on the landing to properly utilize.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 22, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At least one of those has probably been a mecha anime plot.

Does it fight Lion Gundam?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does it fight Lion Gundam?

No, Banshee and Phenex.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flopsy posted:

PFFFFTTTT Oh sweet jesus I'm crying AHAHA

Not only would I tell that to it's face I'd rent billboard space so it wouldn't miss it. Does it count by stomping it's foot and can only be piloted by virgin maidens? Does it use that horn to gore other robots to death? I'm dying to know.

edit: I'm guessing Gundam Mermaid was too rough on the landing to properly utilize.

Unicorn is legit one of the only good UC protag gundam designs and if you don't like it your brain has been made smooth as original animation RX78

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To be fair it does look better in NT-D mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Iirc the best counter to Elesa's Emolga is Blitzle. It gets Lightning Rod and Motor Drive- both of which make it immune to Volt Switch, and Shockwave- so it gets around Double Team Spam.

Definitely agree on the rest of your points. Black and White own.

True. My Blitzle was the MVP in the fight against Elesa.