Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
so the norwegian news broadcaster nrk has discovered that the nokia 7 plus has been sending packets of data to someone in china which includes information such as the phone's geographical location, sim card number and the phone's serial number. after this was revealed today, the finnish data protection agency has started to look into it. the owners of nokia, hmd global, did not want to answer questions about whether the phones are required to do this in order to be sold in china, or about who owns the server the data are being sent to.

i couldn't find an article about it in english, but here's the original report on it that you can run through google translate or something:

https://nrkbeta.no/2019/03/21/norske-telefoner-sendte-personopplysninger-til-kina/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Another chemical plant just exploded

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Imperialist Dog posted:

Watch Xi start a war.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's just like "You can see the Great Wall from space". If someone with authority says it enough times, people start to assume it's true and repeat it without doing any due diligence.

Our grade 1 elementary teacher read us a book about different landmarks from around the world and when we got to the Great Wall, it said, "Can be seen from Space". I put my hand up and asked her if there was a part of the wall that was super, super wide, like wider than a town. She replied that there wasn't to the best of her knowledge, and then I asked how that was possible, since it was hard to see one of our barns which was over 90' wide from a jet (I had flown over it the previous year). The class had a debate, and we came to the conclusion that it was either bullshit, or you could see it with a telescope from space, so therefore you could see anything the size of a small house or larger, which didn't make it special.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Imperialist Dog posted:

https://i.imgur.com/zIcPaPB.mp4

EDIT: Click for sound.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
That looks like a Strange Things hellgate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Japan have a whole thing where on the first visits of European sailors they marvelled at chairs?

They should've been familiar with chairs from China. But knowing how Asia still tends to be today it could've just been shock at the concept of foreigners knowing how to sit down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'd need more details on the specifics of that particular story, but certain daimyos/clans, when confronted with the portugese, were taken aback by how much they recognized from them rather than everything that was different. oda nobunaga was one of those cats; to him it was really loving cool that someone he hadn't even conceived existed could show up and be so weird in a lot of ways and so recognizable in others. the chair story sounds like something that would have been a neat shock insofar as "oh man, those guys from across the loving world make chairs that look almost exactly like the ones the chinese and koreans make, how cool is that." rather than "SORCERY"

that fascination led to him being pretty drat chill with the christians, and ultimately is a large part of the reason we have a very good idea of what he looked like. a jesuit priest did a portrait of him which was in the realistic western style rather than the more symbolic and flat style favored in japan at the time. the rest of his contemporaries never liked the jesuits that much and would never consent to be painted in a similar way.

ultimately this relationship is ALSO part of what caused the christians to get forcefully evicted from japan for hundreds of years after nobunaga got nutsacked at honnoji temple but i digress.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 21, 2019

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

So basically the PRC is Taiwan as directed by Michael Bay?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Who wants to relieve the opening of Half Life 2?

https://twitter.com/JidanVideo/status/1108391676274311168

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone outside of the Universal Union likes to criticize the "17 hour war" but did you know in the west they had a 30 years war, even 100 years war? Think about that next time you want to say things that hurt the feelings of our benefactors.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
IfAmerica became majority nonwhite, would Chinese still be interested?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nickmeister posted:

IfAmerica became majority nonwhite, would Chinese still be interested?

Does this future America still have idiots who outsource their tech to China for no benefit?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

In fresh don't-do-business-with/in-China news, [large china company]'s gaming division had a major reshuffle of its execs and they put a deal they made with my company in review. I mean, that's all normal stuff, except since it's China the likelihood of any penalties for reneging actually getting paid out are slim to none. woohoo

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Idiocracy but it's China

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This dude seems cool, at least SCMP: Confucius-quoting Shanghai tramp becomes online celebrity ... then tells well-wishers to go away and read more books

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Unfortunately, this version of Diogenes will be disappeared after telling Alexander to quit blocking his sunlight.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Poor guy, labelled as a mental case for reuse reduce recycle

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kharnifex posted:

Poor guy, labelled as a mental case for reuse reduce recycle

Well, it is every citizen's last duty to become one with all the people.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Japan have a whole thing where on the first visits of European sailors they marvelled at chairs?

I think I remember reading something on how chairs were pretty rare in the West until a couple hundred years ago. Chairs in old paintings were mainly just thrones I think. This could be complete bullshit though.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Coolguye posted:

that fascination led to him being pretty drat chill with the christians, and ultimately is a large part of the reason we have a very good idea of what he looked like. a jesuit priest did a portrait of him which was in the realistic western style rather than the more symbolic and flat style favored in japan at the time. the rest of his contemporaries never liked the jesuits that much and would never consent to be painted in a similar way.

On the other hand if anything it more proves that the Japanese style wasn't so bad at capturing likeness after all.
Looks pretty accurate!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I think I remember reading something on how chairs were pretty rare in the West until a couple hundred years ago. Chairs in old paintings were mainly just thrones I think. This could be complete bullshit though.

No, I'm pretty sure they've been around since forever.

They're very useful in cold climates to stop your arse from freezing to the floor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

This sounds about as well researched an accurate as "A World Lit Only by Fire" claiming midieval people didnt understand the concept of time

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
like you're telling me there's a culture somewhere where someone hasn't sat on a rock or log or something and gone "whoa this owns"

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Monkey Fracas posted:

like you're telling me there's a culture somewhere where the concept of face doesn't exist and gone "whoa this owns"

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
japan is a very traditional society. if sitting on the floor was good enough for my ancestors then it's good enough for me!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Japanese people don't sit on the floor, if you try it you learn pretty quick that it fuckin sucks, especially if you're old/injured/just plain tired.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Chairs are real easy to make and its an obvious way to sit, the cavemen were probably rolling rocks into their cave corners to sit on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though all the Japanese media has more traditional or space-starved households (of which there are many) kneeling on mats to eat, but I get the feeling that's just one way of doing things, like it's not weird for someone to sit on a chair or a bench or a stool or a couch and do so differently.

I get the feeling stuff like that is mostly because only posh people could even afford chairs, or a house big enough to fit them in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korea is more of a floor sitting society than Japan in my experience (still blew my mind when friends would sit on the floor using their nice couch as a back rest), but this

GotLag posted:

Japanese people don't sit on the floor

is nonsense you will be disabused of if you spend more than like, an hour in Japan.

Most restaurants in Japan have chairs though, which is nice. Korean restaurants are a crapshoot on that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I spent over two months living with Japanese people in Kyoto and Osaka and they didn't sit on the floor.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
When I was in great Nippon everything I did took place at an onsen (Japanese for hot spring) and I kneeled in every room I was in and an elderly Japanese woman gave me food without asking or saying anything and left the room slowly without turning her back to me.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Wow chair chat today eh? Wheres the daily meltdown????

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Glenn Quebec posted:

When I was in great Nippon everything I did took place at an onsen (Japanese for hot spring) and I kneeled in every room I was in and an elderly Japanese woman gave me food without asking or saying anything and left the room slowly without turning her back to me.

This happened to me in Korea but replace all those experiences with me covered in blood and a random person dabbing it off my face.

Good times, good times.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Was she keeping the eye contact when she did it?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I wouldn't know because I kept my stern male gaze out to the horizon wistfully, nostalgic for high school

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

What an utter croc of poo poo, I lived in Japan for two years, and travelled the country extensively.

Not a single chair in sight, pillows, tatami etc were the only things to sit on.

Even on the train it was either sit on the floor or stand. Bicycles have a mat.

This conspiracy of "Chairs" is insensitive and racist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Japanese have an extra bone in their feet that make it impossible to sit in chairs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What is even happening in here

Japan has chairs. They also have kotatsu and those short rear end tables and stuff for sitting on the floor.

Weirdest thing is the restaurants/izakaya where you sit on the floor but there's a hole under the table, so your legs have somewhere to go. Much appreciated and far more comfortable, but seems needlessly elaborate when you could just... use chairs.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe it's "Taking the piss".

Gotta say I am laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baronjutter posted:

Japanese have an extra bone in their feet that make it impossible to sit in chairs.

this is just called digitigrade