Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crotch Fruit posted:

They tested with Doom 3, the game from 2004? Does that even have like textures with high enough resolution to take advantage of 4k or 1440p?

The poster just mid-typed. They used doom from 1 from 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

GutBomb posted:

The poster just mid-typed. They used doom from 1 from 1993.
At least I believe that one has a fan made 4K texture pack, but then the results were probably biased by comparing the original artist to the 4k artist.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Need a recommendation for my dad, he needs to backup a large amount of data (works from home, home office PC) weekly or so, has been using a USB 2.0 external HDD that he then puts in a safe. He has a mobo with only USB 2.0. If he gets a USB 3.1 PCIE adapter that'll work at 3.1 speeds right? Any recommendation for an external drive? Is there a better way to do this (he won't NAS)? Is e-sata better for this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What kind of premium are you looking at for 3.1, or especially gen2 ports on a case? Or does it matter as long as you have those headers on your board and are connected to them?

Will a DH-15 fit with a vertical video card setup in a mid tower?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This seems like a decent place to ask, but let me know if there's a better thread:

I have a PC I built about six years back (and upgraded with an SSD and a new GPU three years ago). I'm looking to build a new PC in the near future so I want to try to sell this one. Any tips on how to figure out how much is a reasonable asking price? I really have no idea how much to list this thing for.

Specs-wise, it has an i5-3570K, a GTX 970, two SSDs (128 GB boot drive and 512 GB storage), and 8 GB RAM, so reasonably good for running new releases on Medium settings or so at 1080p. Nothing particularly great, hence why I want to build something new, but not terrible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

codo27 posted:

What kind of premium are you looking at for 3.1, or especially gen2 ports on a case? Or does it matter as long as you have those headers on your board and are connected to them?

Will a DH-15 fit with a vertical video card setup in a mid tower?

Get a recent Fractal Design case for 3.1 gen 2 USB-C front panel and a vertical video card mount in a mid tower. The vertical card mount is in front of the PCI slots, it shouldn’t affect cooler clearance. But mounting a card vertically is the wrong decision a lot of the time, especially with closed case sides like tempered glass. It looks good, but it raises the temperature significantly and hence reduces performance.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Harrow posted:

This seems like a decent place to ask, but let me know if there's a better thread:

I have a PC I built about six years back (and upgraded with an SSD and a new GPU three years ago). I'm looking to build a new PC in the near future so I want to try to sell this one. Any tips on how to figure out how much is a reasonable asking price? I really have no idea how much to list this thing for.

Specs-wise, it has an i5-3570K, a GTX 970, two SSDs (128 GB boot drive and 512 GB storage), and 8 GB RAM, so reasonably good for running new releases on Medium settings or so at 1080p. Nothing particularly great, hence why I want to build something new, but not terrible.

I asked this the other week and you sound similar to my build

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&pagenumber=668&perpage=40#post493174761

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Looking for some feedback on a build for my girlfriend.

What country are you in - Canada
What are you using the system for - Gaming, 2d game development, image editing.
What's your budget - $2000 Canadian. Don't need windows, or peripherals.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution - 1080p, looking for High to Ultra settings.

We're thinking of going with this. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rsgfTB

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Videocard: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Rosewill - TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Total: $1577.71 CAD

How does this look? Any recommendations? Substitutions?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, that's about the price range I thought actually. And yeah, pretty similar build, so that seems like a good starting point. Thanks!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Sanity check as I've already pulled the trigger, but my 970 poo poo the bed (fan literally flew off it, seems to have knocked something off kilter on the 2nd fan and now the 1st one spins but the second doesn't and it overheats). I found a decent price on a refurb 1070 on Newegg.

Anybody have opinions on refurb GPUs? Was that a savvy or incredibly poor choice?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Anyone have experience with implementing storeMI? I'm going to be upgrading to a ryzen system and I already have a 1tb storage drive and a spare 128gb ssd that's collecting dust.

Does it work and is it easy?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Relentless posted:

Sanity check as I've already pulled the trigger, but my 970 poo poo the bed (fan literally flew off it, seems to have knocked something off kilter on the 2nd fan and now the 1st one spins but the second doesn't and it overheats). I found a decent price on a refurb 1070 on Newegg.

Anybody have opinions on refurb GPUs? Was that a savvy or incredibly poor choice?

Very savvy. Most refurb electronics are basically new anyways.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Relentless posted:

Mixed bag, but refurbs are generally ok.

I've had garbage used cards, but refurbs at a minimum have been inspected and cleaned, and any borderline parts have been replaced.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 20, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Looking for some feedback on a build for my girlfriend.

What country are you in - Canada
What are you using the system for - Gaming, 2d game development, image editing.
What's your budget - $2000 Canadian. Don't need windows, or peripherals.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution - 1080p, looking for High to Ultra settings.

We're thinking of going with this. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rsgfTB

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Videocard: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Rosewill - TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Total: $1577.71 CAD

How does this look? Any recommendations? Substitutions?

Should be good! Here's a couple of tweaks:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($158.32 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($156.82 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB OC Video Card ($378.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Rosewill - TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1372.60

CPU: Unless you know you need the extra multi-core processing power for your dev work, I'd stick with the 2600X. Gaming performance is practically identical, it's much more power efficient, and the motherboard will be compatible with Zen 2/3 should you want to upgrade in the future (in fact, if you don't need the computer right away, it might be worth waiting until the summer to see how Zen 2 turns out).

Motherboard: ASRock's X470/B450 offerings have pretty anemic power handling. The Pro Carbon has better voltage control and sound (though you lose SLI). The Tomahawk is a little cheaper and still has better VRM than the Master, but you lose the wifi, one of the two M.2 slots, a bit of VRM potential, and the better on-board audio. I'd definitely switch for a 2700X, but it's still worth the trade-up with a 2600X, especially if you might upgrade in the future!

Memory: The Aegis is cheaper and QVL for AM4 motherboards!

Video Card: Zotac is tough to recommend - they're support is horrid and they're basic coolers tend to be hot and loud. I'd consider the basic Gigabyte or MSi model instead, though they'll still be a bit hot. A 1660 Ti will run most modern AAA titles at 60fps on ultra settings, but some games like Assassin's Creed: Origins will push it down to ~50fps. Turning down a few settings will do you fine, or consider the $100 upgrade to a 2060 (which also gets you access to RAYZ!)

Power Supply: You didn't include one, but this looks like the best current deal for a modular, gold, decently powerful PSU. If your current PSU is out-of-warranty, I'd definitely recommend a new one!

Case: The Tyrfing is a very basic case. If you're okay with that, it'll save you some money. Otherwise, I'd consider upgrading to something like the Fractal Design Focus G, Meshify C, or Define C (there are multiple options for color/windows on each). Other manufacturers have some great offerings, too!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 20, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Relentless posted:

They're usually fine. If it's a relatively new model, you'll generally only get a one-year warranty vs three for a non-refurb model or whatever's left on the transferrable warranty (EVGA, MSi, Gigabyte) if you buy used. The 1070 is old enough that used cards might only have a few months of warranty remaining! Just try it out and send it back if it's a lemon.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Are refurbished platter hard drives a good idea? I'm not sure I would want a precision mechanical device that has failed once and been rebuilt. I trust refurbished PCB and similar since I think they can replace the components better without effecting every other moving assembly on the prodcut.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't buy used hard drives. They're cheap and when they fail, they fail.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's not the platters you have to worry about - it's the actively moving parts (drive motor, seeker heads, etc) that you have to concern yourself about.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 21, 2019

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How are the Samsung 860 QVO 1TB drives? They are currently $108 on amazon, and I need an upgrade. Will be used for gaming mostly. Is it fine for that, or should I really spend the extra $40 on the EVO?

I currently have my os on a 120 evo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Harminoff posted:

How are the Samsung 860 QVO 1TB drives? They are currently $108 on amazon, and I need an upgrade. Will be used for gaming mostly. Is it fine for that, or should I really spend the extra $40 on the EVO?

I'd recommend the MX500 1TB over the QVO, unless you mean "gaming" as it being a Steam drive and not your boot as well. There's nothing *wrong* with a QLC drive, it's just the tech is new enough and tailored for 'affordability' that you can't discount the possibility of some 840 EVO-style "oopsie" in the coming years that's attributed to QLC NAND vs. tried-and-true TLC like the MX500 and current EVOs use.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 21, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Huge thanks stickman, I pulled the trigger on p much exactly the rig you recommended later that day. I'm working from home the next three days to receive the packages, last part comes in on Friday.
:stoked:

Follow-up q:
I thought I was buying a 2x8 of ram but apparently I was in too much of a rush to buy it because I didn't notice that it was a 1x16 until it arrived. From some light research it looks like it's not going to be an issue, but I was wondering if there's anything I should look out for, or if there was any reasonable circumstance this would noticeably affect anything.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 21, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Harminoff posted:

They work fine as in they store data just fine. Their write endurance is lower than TLC or MLC drives, as you're storing 4 bits per cell. They are also slower as it takes longer for them to read and write the data to the flash memory. Their speed in early reviews was a little bit faster than or equal to spinning platters, they're by no means a performance drive, and are priced to reflect that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So I'm planning on upgrading my computer here in the next few months. I was probably looking at a full overhaul, as I don't know if my current motherboard supports the latest chips (my current assumption is no, as I put this system back 2-3 years back). I'm planning on using it for primarily higher-end gaming. I'm getting new monitors but I'm probably not going to bother to swing for Ultrawide if I can help it, as I'm fine with native 1080 resolution. I wanna be able to player newest titles as close to max as possible (DOOM Eternal and Cyberpunk will probably be the big ones when they hit)

Here's what my setup looks like right now:

But I wanted to get the thread's feel for it: What are the good picks right now, what's the biggest bang for my buck? Money is currently a bit tight but once I have a ballpark number I can budget accordingly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Monathin posted:

So I'm planning on upgrading my computer here in the next few months. I was probably looking at a full overhaul, as I don't know if my current motherboard supports the latest chips (my current assumption is no, as I put this system back 2-3 years back). I'm planning on using it for primarily higher-end gaming. I'm getting new monitors but I'm probably not going to bother to swing for Ultrawide if I can help it, as I'm fine with native 1080 resolution. I wanna be able to player newest titles as close to max as possible (DOOM Eternal and Cyberpunk will probably be the big ones when they hit)

Here's what my setup looks like right now:

But I wanted to get the thread's feel for it: What are the good picks right now, what's the biggest bang for my buck? Money is currently a bit tight but once I have a ballpark number I can budget accordingly.

Right now, for 1080p/60Hz/max settings your best bang-for-your-buck starts somewhere around here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB OC Video Card ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1028.72

The 9700k/9900k have better single-core performance, but that only translates to slightly better performance at very high framerates (100+, sometimes 200+). For more GPU intensive games running at lower frame rates, their performance will be nearly identical. A 9700k system will cost you $300+ more and a 9900k ~$400 more.

The Z390 motherboards for the Intel chips are also locked to 8/9 series chips, while AMD's boards will have support for the next two generations. You'd have plenty of future in-place upgrade options (or if you wait until the summer, you could just skip strait to the 3600X or whichever ends up being the best values!)

The 1660 Ti is sufficient to run [url=https://babeltechreviews.com/the-gtx-1660-ti-oc-showdown-vs-the-rx-vega-56-rx-590/3/]most current games at 60 fps on Ultra settings
, but there's a few that will dip below when fully cranked, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey. A 2060 should bring the average frame-rates up to 60Hz, but will cost another $80-100 dollars. The entry-level 2-fan cards are nice, but if you're willing to pay another $30-$50, the 3-fan Gigabyte card or the EVGA XC Ultra will be cooler and quieter and have a bit more overclocking room.

The PSU is a stand-in. You'll generally want a modular gold/platinum Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G1+/G2/G3, or Corsair RMx (2018) in at least 550W. Deals seem to rotate, so just get whatever's on sale when you make the purchase! Be aware that 550/650W versions of the G2/G3 only come with 7-year warranties instead of ten years for the rest of the models.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If the budget is limited why not first try just a video card, and see if the 4790K will cut it. If you can OC, so much the better. If it doesn't work as well as you'd like, you're not out anything because you were going to buy the gpu anyway.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

If the budget is limited why not first try just a video card, and see if the 4790K will cut it. If you can OC, so much the better. If it doesn't work as well as you'd like, you're not out anything because you were going to buy the gpu anyway.

Budget isn't limited so much as I know I'm expecting a couple windfalls and should be able to spring for a full upgrade and know what I'm getting inti. Not to mention my current setup makes overclocking less feasible and, coupled with my inexperience, I'm not really ready to take the dive. There's also enough parts of my current build I can recycle (the PSU was new when I assembled the system the first time and is either a 550 or a 650, so should suffice for the outline there but I'll double check, and I have a 250 GB solid state drive i haven't used up paired with a 2 TB HDD, which should be enough for the forseeable future) that doing an upgrade of RAM/CPU/GPU/MB won't really set me back that far.

Thanks for the picks! This looks pretty good from what I can tell. I'll go back through my olds parts list to make sure what parts I want to recycle are still feasible.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 21, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Monathin posted:

Budget isn't limited so much as I know I'm expecting a couple windfalls and should be able to spring for a full upgrade and know what I'm getting inti. Not to mention my current setup makes overclocking less feasible and, coupled with my inexperience, I'm not really ready to take the dive. There's also enough parts of my current build I can recycle (the PSU was new when I assembled the system the first time and is either a 550 or a 650, so should suffice for the outline there but I'll double check, and I have a 250 GB solid state drive i haven't used up paired with a 2 TB HDD, which should be enough for the forseeable future) that doing an upgrade of RAM/CPU/GPU/MB won't really set me back that far.

Thanks for the picks! This looks pretty good from what I can tell. I'll go back through my olds parts list to make sure what parts I want to recycle are still feasible.

I'd still start with a new GPU and a second stick of ram and go from there. Zen2 will be out soon-ish, probably, and while no concrete details are out yet, there's a near universal expectation that it'll offer a meaningful, if not enormous, step up over Zen+.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Recommendation for wireless router (and possibly desktop WiFi card)? Devices include desktop, laptop, iPhone, and smart TV. Hoping to stream 4K content from my desktop to the TV via Plex but if that’s going to require a super expensive router I can just stick to 1080p.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
So i got all my parts and got the PC put together and running, one weird thing im noticing on boot sometimes is that the pump head and everything will light up and sound like it starts, then it looks like it all turns off, then starts up normally again and continues on. No beeps or errors from the motherboard, and when running the temps are fine. Is this a problem with something? Doesnt seem to do it every time, only if its been sitting for a little bit.

This is with an i7-9700k, corsair h150i AIO, and asus z390-h mobo.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Zen2 will be out soon-ish, probably, and while no concrete details are out yet, there's a near universal expectation that it'll offer a meaningful, if not enormous, step up over Zen+.
This is basically why I've decided to wait it out with my poor 2500K for a little while longer. If they're actually going to boost the 3600X up to 8 cores from the 2600X's 6 and there are significant performance increases otherwise, then I'd rather deal with my setup for a few extra months and get some extra value for the money. Hopefully those CPUs come out around the expected June-ish time.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Was I smart getting a 2600x over a 9600k for 1440p gaming? Seemed like the differences in max frames rate get really compressed at higher resolutions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
holy poo poo SSDs are loving tiny. I had to doublecheck everything on the box and also google it to make absolutely sure I hadn't accidentally bought some weird-rear end RAM or something. Like when I picked up the package today and it felt like nothing was in it I was immediately concerned. :corsair:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Heliosicle posted:

Was I smart getting a 2600x over a 9600k for 1440p gaming? Seemed like the differences in max frames rate get really compressed at higher resolutions.

CPU limitations are more a function of refresh rate than resolution. Increased resolution = more pixels/frame = more work for the GPU. Increased refresh rate = more game logic / second = more work for the CPU.

So if you're looking to max out a 1440p144hz monitor and you have a beastly graphics card you might wind up CPU limited earlier with AMD, otherwise it's not going to matter.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Heliosicle posted:

I have a 2600x and a 1080, and at 1440p/60Hz the limiting factor is most definitely the GPU.

I mean, a little more CPU wouldn't hurt (it never does), but the only games that drag my FPS below 60 are lovely unoptimized ones like AC Odyssey (45-55 FPS @1440p ultra), so unless you're targeting crazy high 144+ FPS on newer titles with a midrange GPU, you'll be perfectly fine.

Also if you really want to get better performance, you'll be able to upgrade this coming fall to a 3600x or better without changing anything else (and who knows, maybe even a 4600x in 2020?), yeah it's a good move imo.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 21, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

holy poo poo SSDs are loving tiny. I had to doublecheck everything on the box and also google it to make absolutely sure I hadn't accidentally bought some weird-rear end RAM or something. Like when I picked up the package today and it felt like nothing was in it I was immediately concerned. :corsair:

If you bought an m.2 drive, it’s actually smaller than a standard RAM DIMM.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arivia posted:

If you bought an m.2 drive, it’s actually smaller than a standard RAM DIMM.

I did, and you're absolutely right. This is probably common knowledge but I had no idea lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Monathin posted:

A 4790K is still really good. I wouldn't bother upgrading everything else until you've tried a new graphics card with it first. If you're not happy, then sure, but I really think you'd do the 4790K a disservice by not upgrading the GPU significantly.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

ItBreathes posted:

CPU limitations are more a function of refresh rate than resolution. Increased resolution = more pixels/frame = more work for the GPU. Increased refresh rate = more game logic / second = more work for the CPU.

So if you're looking to max out a 1440p144hz monitor and you have a beastly graphics card you might wind up CPU limited earlier with AMD, otherwise it's not going to matter.

I have a 144hz monitor, but only a 1070 so think I'll still be GPU in the majority of cases.

TorakFade posted:

I have a 2600x and a 1080, and at 1440p/60Hz the limiting factor is most definitely the GPU.

I mean, a little more CPU wouldn't hurt (it never does), but the only games that drag my FPS below 60 are lovely unoptimized ones like AC Odyssey (45-55 FPS @1440p ultra), so unless you're targeting crazy high 144+ FPS on newer titles with a midrange GPU, you'll be perfectly fine.

Also if you really want to get better performance, you'll be able to upgrade this coming fall to a 3600x or better without changing anything else (and who knows, maybe even a 4600x in 2020?), yeah it's a good move imo.

That was one of the factors that sold me on the 2600X, plus it was 130 euros cheaper (including motherboard).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I did, and you're absolutely right. This is probably common knowledge but I had no idea lol

Also since no one answered you. Having one stick of RAM instead of two means you're not running in dual channel mode, which I thought mattered a lot! But this article by subforum darling GamersNexus says otherwise: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel (it's 5 years old, but the basic configuration of RAM hasn't changed much by then.) I guess don't worry about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arivia posted:

Also since no one answered you. Having one stick of RAM instead of two means you're not running in dual channel mode, which I thought mattered a lot! But this article by subforum darling GamersNexus says otherwise: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel (it's 5 years old, but the basic configuration of RAM hasn't changed much by then.) I guess don't worry about it!

This article owns. Yeah I thought the dual channel thing was a big deal, at least I remember it being so the last time I upgraded a desktop's RAM, like, years ago.

Thanks!