Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So leftists have to wait for a more convenient season at the behest of liberals who just don't think they're presentable enough?

Wait for what? AOC, a woman of color, is one of the most prominent leftists in the country. Recent polls have shown she draws support from every group except old white men. There are plenty people from every background who support Bernie and want the country to move left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

I think that was just in the context of saying there's nothing wrong with old people

Still, the former vice president is clearly mindful of the need to have a ready answer for when voters and reporters ask him about his age if and when he enters the race, a decision that could come as soon as next month.

Earlier this month, for example, he raised the issue over lunch with members of the Delaware congressional delegation.

Senator Tom Carper, who is himself 72, said he offered a succinct response to Mr. Biden: “Two words: Nancy Pelosi.”

Ms. Pelosi, the 78-year-old House speaker, is doing “a hell of a job,” Mr. Carper noted, a view that is widely shared by the sort of Democrats who will cast ballots in next year’s primary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/us/politics/joe-biden-2020-election.html

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously the one term pledge is the dumbest thing I can think of and shows just how much more the Democrats understand that they are hated than I thought.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1108560201521737728

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Abrams and Beto both joining the Presidential race rather than running for Senate in an election where the Dems are projected to elect maybe 48-49 Senators sure would be something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

especially cool if it helps elect the worst candidate in the race!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Vox Nihili posted:

Abrams and Beto both joining the Presidential race rather than running for Senate in an election where the Dems are projected to elect maybe 48-49 Senators sure would be something.

https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/1106251630167670785

:negative:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 21, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

TrixR4kids posted:

Agreed, which is why it's embarrassing (in terms of what it says about the electorate) that she isn't polling better.

I think that pretty much comes down to electability issues. There was a story that ran that talked to Iowa and NH voters who said if not for electability concerns Warren would be their first choice.

I think people are concerned that the media will "but her ancestry" throughout the 2020 election. But I think that's missing a few points.

1. One reason the email controversy lasted so long is there was often new developments that helped keep the story going. It was an ongoing FBI investigation, than release of the report, which given its complexity could lead to hours of coverage, than the Comey letter and reversal.

The ancestry story really isn't like that. Pretty much any part of that story has already been talked about. There's not much "new" that will likely come to fruition. I really can't see how the media could try sustain that story through an entire election season, especially for the next reason below.

2. One reason the email controversy stuck is because it fit with the narrative of Hillary being untrustworthy, a narrative that existed before the email controversy even began, and is also fueled by the way she presents herself in public.

Warren though absolutely exudes authenticity. One reason I've been showing speeches of her speaking is because of how incredibly authentic she comes across. In that speech where she talks about her faith her voice literally breaks towards the end where she discusses "you saw something wrong and you took action to change it'. You can't fake that, unless you're one hell of an actor. There are counntless stories of voters who are hearing her speak for the first time and saying she's one of the most authentic people they've ever seen, and these are coming from undecided voters, some that came ion skeptical of Warren. The only people that match Warren when it comes to exuding authenticity are Bernie, and to some extent Buttigieg. Plus her story is one of constantly fighting against big corporations on behalf of the average person. Only her and Bernie have such compelling backstories that show she's willing to take on powerful interests on behalf of the general public.

3. What she might lose in terms of some swing voters (who honestly I think are a pretty small segment of the electorate) I think she would gain more from generating voter enthusiasm of the base. Her and Bernie are the two candidates I trust the most to generate enthusiastic voter support for (as opposed to just voting against Trump) which is key if you want to see large numbers of people coming out to vote who otherwise wouldn't. It's just harder to get people out to vote to vote against something, as opposed to for something.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 21, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That is a lot of :words: for a hopeless also-ran polling in the single-digits

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Live by the concept of electability, die by the concept of electability. In a world where Donald Trump won, the idea of "electability" being an actual concern is loving insane.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
When voters cite 'electability' with Warren, I don't think they're solely talking about "but her dnagate". I think they're identifying a much bigger fundamental issue, which is that she's a thoughtful sincere person who fundamentally lacks the larger-than-life theatrical personality it takes to compete for office in our mass media reality-TV-politics era. Elections are our biggest form of collective live entertainment, bigger than sports, and the one constant in the last three decades of presidential elections is that the more entertaining candidate won. If President was an appointed role, Warren would be perfect, but it's an elected position, and getting elected requires, essentially, winning the biggest reality TV show in the world.

There's different ways to be entertaining: Bush had his folksy good ol' boy charm, Obama his soaring rhetoric, Trump his sleazy insult comic shtick. And the one common thing about the four Dems at the top of the polls right now is they all have some variant on that 'larger than life' personality vibe: Biden with his Uncle Joe bit, Harris with her slick polished prosecutor front and canned stories, Bernie with his raw fierce energy and anger, Beto with his counter-hopping Gen X slacker bit.

Warren's just... Warren. She's a good thinker and the best crafter of policy running, but she's not even remotely entertaining. She gets voted off in the first round of the reality show. And voters fundamentally *get* that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

Other than losing to a sentient insect hive, is there anything that indicates Veto would be a significantly better 2020 Texas Senate Candidate than Castro?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1108770812620926978

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

Other than losing to a sentient insect hive, is there anything that indicates Veto would be a significantly better 2020 Texas Senate Candidate than Castro?

Fundraising base, name recognition, solid (if not exceptional) performance last time around. He has a lot to build on in Texas. Also, a recent poll showed him basically even in a hypothetical race with Cornyn.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

America isn't prepared for just how sinisterly weird Biden is.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Gyges posted:

Beto's performance isn't all that different than the vote swing from 2016-2018 for the average Democrat all across the country, people just think Texas is a lot redder than it is

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

When voters cite 'electability' with Warren, I don't think they're solely talking about "but her dnagate". I think they're identifying a much bigger fundamental issue, which is that she's a thoughtful sincere person who fundamentally lacks the larger-than-life theatrical personality it takes to compete for office in our mass media reality-TV-politics era. Elections are our biggest form of collective live entertainment, bigger than sports, and the one constant in the last three decades of presidential elections is that the more entertaining candidate won. If President was an appointed role, Warren would be perfect, but it's an elected position, and getting elected requires, essentially, winning the biggest reality TV show in the world.

There's different ways to be entertaining: Bush had his folksy good ol' boy charm, Obama his soaring rhetoric, Trump his sleazy insult comic shtick. And the one common thing about the four Dems at the top of the polls right now is they all have some variant on that 'larger than life' personality vibe: Biden with his Uncle Joe bit, Harris with her slick polished prosecutor front and canned stories, Bernie with his raw fierce energy and anger, Beto with his counter-hopping Gen X slacker bit.

Warren's just... Warren. She's a good thinker and the best crafter of policy running, but she's not even remotely entertaining. She gets voted off in the first round of the reality show. And voters fundamentally *get* that.

I think, based on the accounts I've read, that people that have been going to the town halls to hear her speak, would disagree with that.

Coming across as authentic and genuine might actually be THE most important factor to generate voter enthusiasm. The reason Bernei's anger is powerful is it also communicates his authenticity and willingness to fight against injustice. Something that Warren also exudes, but in different ways.

Besides, I'm not sure you remember the time when Warren videos would go absolutely viral. Videos don't go viral if people don't find the person a compelling speaker.

If we're in a general election, I expect her again to have wideshared videos that go viral. That isn't happening as much now in part because many of the people who might find those videos compelling also support Bernie or some other candidate. But in the general, I think there will be many, many instances where people will see something and enthusiastically want to share it, because of how positive it makes them feel, and how compelling the video is.

And in the world driven by social media, viral videos is key to generating voter enthusiasm and support.

I would wager Warren will generate more viral videos in a general than most other candidates, except Bernie, Buttigieg, and possibly Beto,.

Also, you really think Bush has a more compelling TV persona than Warren??

Last thing. The reason I'm bringing this up is I think many people who like Warren but are going to vote for "safer " candidates like Harris or Biden, are actually making a mistake, as I think Warren might actually be more electable, and will generate larger voter turnout, than those candidates

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 21, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Warren is unlikely to ever be the front runner. She’s the compromise candidate that brings the Biden/Harris/Booker camp together with the Bernie camp after a long ugly primary process. She’s not anyone’s opening pick, but an acceptable second best for huge numbers of both sides. Sort of McCain in 2008 or Kerry in 2004.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thank you to the team eliminating Yang threads, his posse are chuds. And he's not smart.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Typo posted:

Beto's performance isn't all that different than the vote swing from 2016-2018 for the average Democrat all across the country, people just think Texas is a lot redder than it is

I'm lukewarm at best on Beto as candidate relative to the likes of Bernie or Warren, but this flatly isn't true. The past two Texas senate elections, before Beto vs Cruz, saw Cruz win 2012 by 16 percent and Cornyn win 2014 by 27 percent. This is where I remind you that Beto lost by about 2 percent.The average national swing was like 5-7 points, not 15 and sure as poo poo not 30.

There's plenty of reason not to trust Beto for Prez but "he lost a close one to a tea party darling in a state that hasn't even considered electing a statewide Dem in well over a decade" flatly isn't among them, and seeing it treated like one is getting intensely tedious.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

Live by the concept of electability, die by the concept of electability. In a world where Donald Trump won, the idea of "electability" being an actual concern is loving insane.

THANK YOU. This.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm lukewarm at best on Beto as candidate relative to the likes of Bernie or Warren, but this flatly isn't true. The past two Texas senate elections, before Beto vs Cruz, saw Cruz win 2012 by 16 percent and Cornyn win 2014 by 27 percent. This is where I remind you that Beto lost by about 2 percent.The average national swing was like 5-7 points, not 15 and sure as poo poo not 30.

There's plenty of reason not to trust Beto for Prez but "he lost a close one to a tea party darling in a state that hasn't even considered electing a statewide Dem in well over a decade" flatly isn't among them, and seeing it treated like one is getting intensely tedious.

Texas was R+9 in 2016 and R+2.6 in 2018

swing nationally was D+6.5 or so iirc btwn 2016 and 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TrixR4kids posted:

Agreed, which is why it's embarrassing (in terms of what it says about the electorate) that she isn't polling better.

Yup. You can never really lose underestimating the electorate. Even the D primary electorate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think Warren is fine, but she has two major problems to overcome.

First, because she sat on the sidelines during 2016 while Bernie was forming an electoral core for the nation's leftists to coalesce around, a perception has developed that she's less left or less authentic than he is. She's campaigning hard to the left, but it'll be hard for her to make up the perception gap, especially since the media doesn't have that much interest in leftist policy in general and isn't likely to focus on the details of the left candidates.

Second, as a result of DNAgate and other early responses to right-wing attacks, there's a perception that she isn't good at dealing with Trump or the rest of the modern far right and will therefore have trouble in a contested campaign. Whether she can clear up that impression remains to be seen.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1108716867198296065

Biden for Obama for 2020!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, drat you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What a selfless patriot.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Biden 2020: Make America 2008 Again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

cult member at airport posted:

Biden 2020: Make America 2008 Again

Yeah. Unironically. This is going to appeal to a lot of voters.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Shame we can't just drag Schweitzer into the Montana Senate race. Last I heard he was working with the O'Malley campaign in '16.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. Unironically. This is going to appeal to a lot of voters.

It really will.

As we're being robbed blind, the oceans rise to drown us all and people continue dropping dead for not having enough healthcare coverage, we'll be secure in knowing our decorum is safe!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think if Biden walking out and winning all the votes by default was such a sure thing his campaign wouldn't be throwing out so many dumbass gimmicks before he's even officially announced.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

I think if Biden walking out and winning all the votes by default was such a sure thing his campaign wouldn't be throwing out so many dumbass gimmicks before he's even officially announced.

Oh Biden would be throwing out gimmicks regardless that's Biden

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh Biden would be throwing out gimmicks regardless that's Biden

Typically his gimmicks are sexual harrasment and making GBS threads on the left. These sorts of weird political plays signify a campaign with no confidence outside of hoping risky unconventional methods can bear fruit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

Typically his gimmicks are sexual harrasment and making GBS threads on the left. These sorts of weird political plays signify a campaign with no confidence outside of hoping risky unconventional methods can bear fruit

I think that's just Biden. He has a long history of doing and saying really dumb poo poo while campaigning.

Maybe he's trying to position himself as a Maverick (note: this is completely consistent with the above thesis)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/1108805658294386688

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, seriously. Throw all your ideas about who can win right the gently caress out the window.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1108770812620926978

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lol I love Biden's attempt to explain his "joke"

quote:

It is during the ceremony that Heitkamp and her husband encounter one particularly outspoken male legislator, Vice President Joe Biden.

“Spread your legs, you’re gonna be frisked,” Biden jokes while Heitkamp and her family stand for photos.

“Drop your hands to your sides,” Biden continues, vamping on the photographer’s commands to Heitkamp’s husband, Darwin Lang, to keep his arms straight. “You say that to somebody in North Dakota, they think it’s a frisk. Drop your hands to your side, y’know?”

Biden turns to Lang, looking for someone who gets the joke.

“They think you’re in trouble, right? You drop your hands to the side...”

Lang remains stiff and nods his head ambivalently.

Biden shrugs it off with a big smile. “Ahhh, I’m a little formal, I know.”

And the punchline

quote:

Later, asked by The Huffington Post what he thinks of Heitkamp, the vice president responds with his typical bravado. “I think she’s incredible. I can hardly wait to work with her,” he declares, surrounded by a crowd of admirers. “You know why? She and I both speak plain English.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

God drat it Joe, there was a time when I liked your memes.