Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's a quiet denouement to the clone saga.

As I feared, all of trauma regarding losing a child was just brushed aside and everything's back to normal. They try to justify it with a one month time skip and some really trite speeches, but it plays really poorly. This is very much a "We're putting everything back to normal and ignoring all the consequences" issue.

I think I posted already about how the shittiest comics were the ones that tried explain bad continuity. The Osborne Journal is an entire book dedicated to trying to justify how it could have been Norman Osborne who did the clone saga. Naturally, its excuses are paper thin, don't make a bit of sense, and in the end don't really matter. Osborne killed a homeless guy outside the morgue and gave him a glider to the heart wound so no one would know the difference? Also, JJJ knows Norman Osborne is the Green Goblin (he even calls Norm in the costume that in the story arc), but Harry Osborne bribed the coroner to prevent anyone from finding out? And hey, a lengthy, "Here's why all of the exposition you got from people who had no reason to lie was actually all lies," section.

So everyone is already familiar with the Life of Reilly web series that broke down the clone saga with way more detail than I did and included a lot of behind the scenes information on the editorial chaos involved (though it didn't take a clever reader to be able to spot that). Which meant I had already heard of a lot of the options for ending the clone saga presented in 101 Ways to End the Clone Saga, but having them laid out wasn't bad. Here's what I thought of each:

• Just come out and say "Hi, I'm the real Peter Parker and this guy was my clone!" - Quick, painless, and easy to undo later. However, it's also lacking in drama.
  • There's one Peter Parker, but he has amnesia! - :rolleyes: This isn't a resolution, this is a set up to drag the story out further.
  • Time loop! -Then why isn't Ben five years older? Why didn't he have a full set of memories? Why fork at the original clone saga where it would have maximum disruption instead of anywhere else since you'd have the choice to do it whenever?
  • Traveller did a time loop - gently caress Traveller.
  • Sold his marriage to Mephisto - :mad:
  • Ben keels over dead - Anti-climactic, but at least its over.
  • Traveller is the one time looping and he did it - I reiterate: gently caress Traveller.
  • It was all virtual reality - I'll take Mephisto over this one, thanks.
  • Ben dies during Onslaught - Actually makes sense given how they handled the event.

Now that it's really over I have to give some final thoughts on the clone saga: it's bad but not nearly as bad as its reputation. I'm sure it helps that I've been reading it for sixteen days now instead of as it came out and dragged on for years. If I had been reading it in the 90's I would have dropped the Spider-books hard early on in the process (actually, I dropped them about a year before the clone saga started because of how bad they had gotten then).

The biggest problem with the clone saga is the first half really is as bad as the reputation. Just about everything up until Ben is Spider-Man is terrible. Dancing around Pete and Ben and which is the original, the eternal crossovers, the need to make the new versions of characters "better" than the old ones. Even the art was worse at that point showing the worst excesses of the "hire anyone with a sketchy style" 90's art. Trying to ride the clone saga as an event for almost a full year was a lovely thing to do to readers.

Once Ben is Spider-Man, you still aren't getting great comics but they're more readable. A lot of the more toxic aspects of the books vanish and that helps. It never reaches the point where I'd say, "This is a comic that people should be reading," but I could see how someone might enjoy those issues. Well, until the resolution which I hated.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to be an idea guy, but the clone saga would have been better if they hadn't insisted on Peter being a clone. In my mind, the fun way to do this would be if for six months before the main event, Spider-Man was off in some issues. He fumbled encounters with people he knew, made easy mistakes, there might be scenes where Peter is talking with MJ about something that has some strange undercurrents. Then there's the big moment where Peter and Spider-Man are standing right next to each other in public, readers are going, "What the gently caress?" and then in private Spider-Man takes off the mask and it's also Peter. There's been two of them running around for six months and the big event is a flashback to the clone coming back for Aunt May's sickness and death, Pete and Ben deciding to work together, and some of the recent Spider-books have been about the clone. Then maybe Peter has to give up his spider-powers to save Ben's life and you've got a new, freewheeling Spider-Man running around, Pete still there as a supporting character, and it's reasonable to run with this for as long as they like. It gives both a big reveal for the clone while at the same time preventing the open hostility to the idea of a Spider-clone that there was at the time, especially since there's no need for readers to feel threatened that Peter Parker Spider-Man is gone forever. Basically, it lets Ben have a chance.

Reading the creator's comments at the end of this last volume of the clone saga, it seems like a lot of them had an attitude of "any publicity is good publicity". And that's really the final word on the clone saga, it was a scream for attention which they got. And that attention was followed by drastically diminishing returns as they rapidly burned through any goodwill they had left.

In the end all I can say is that I'm confident reading every single Spider-Man book released for a two year period was still better than reading every single X-book released at that same time (actually, scratch that. Age of Apocalypse took place during this period so there would be four months with readable X-books).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now go read the mini series that reimagines it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Now go read the mini series that reimagines it.

Way to spoil the twist ending, dude.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
At the point that you covered a comic literally titled The Osborn Journal I was kind of hoping you'd finally remember how Nouraieouman Ousuybourney spells his name but hey

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

At the point that you covered a comic literally titled The Osborn Journal I was kind of hoping you'd finally remember how Nouraieouman Ousuybourney spells his name but hey

do i even want to know

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe it was Robert Osborne's journal and all his hard work cloning Peter Parker was just a roundabout way of bringing Joan Crawford back.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Alaois posted:

do i even want to know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Osborn

Random Stranger posted:

Oh my god, Norman Osborne is alive! Okay, time to get to this: I hate the revival of Osborne.

Random Stranger posted:

The Osborne Journal is an entire book dedicated to trying to justify how it could have been Norman Osborne who did the clone saga. Naturally, its excuses are paper thin, don't make a bit of sense, and in the end don't really matter. Osborne killed a homeless guy outside the morgue and gave him a glider to the heart wound so no one would know the difference? Also, JJJ knows Norman Osborne is the Green Goblin (he even calls Norm in the costume that in the story arc), but Harry Osborne bribed the coroner to prevent anyone from finding out? And hey, a lengthy, "Here's why all of the exposition you got from people who had no reason to lie was actually all lies," section.

Random Stranger is hardly the only person who ends up talking about Norman Osborne and Harry Osbourne and the Osburne Family of Goblins but it's weird in that it happens so often. I guess you catch a Damien Wayne or Lex Luther once in a blue moon, but very few Ben Rileys or Gwynn Staceys or Nick Furie or Jimi Olsons or Jeanne Grays. And in this case again, "Osborn" was literally in the title of the book he was recapping. People get pissy about Spiderman or Ironman, I generally liked reading RS's whole revisiting of the Clone Saga but this is like that pebble in the otherwise comfortable loafers of a post.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not even going to mention fan favorite X-Man Rouge?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hilariously, in Steve Ditko's Mr. A, there's a villain called Count Rogue and fully half of the time it's spelled Rouge.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If I were the writer of X-Men I'd 100% introduce a mutant called Rouge with, I don't know, the power of apparently having great cheekbones always looking fresh-faced.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There was a bad guy in Ambush Bug named Villian The Villain and to this day I think that's the only reason I consistently spell that word correctly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Osborn

Random Stranger is hardly the only person who ends up talking about Norman Osborne and Harry Osbourne and the Osburne Family of Goblins but it's weird in that it happens so often. I guess you catch a Damien Wayne or Lex Luther once in a blue moon, but very few Ben Rileys or Gwynn Staceys or Nick Furie or Jimi Olsons or Jeanne Grays. And in this case again, "Osborn" was literally in the title of the book he was recapping. People get pissy about Spiderman or Ironman, I generally liked reading RS's whole revisiting of the Clone Saga but this is like that pebble in the otherwise comfortable loafers of a post.

okay i was bracing for another Bar-Torr post

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So much teeth.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Your suggestion for how to handle the Clone Saga actually sounds a lot like how they ended the What If? Spider-Man's Clone Lived story from the 80s, Random Stranger. Maybe you should give that a look as well.

And What If? #105, that feels like the denouement the Clone Saga really deserved.

I seem to recall DeFalco actually intended to bring baby May back later in his run, dropping a lot of hints that were unceremoniously ejected when they took the book off him and gave it to Byrne, who insisted on bringing Aunt May back (despite the aforementioned Osborn Journal explictily saying that Norman had nothing to do with Aunt May's death/'death'). MJ doesn't even really react to finding out that Aunt May's alive (and that all of the information that indicated it was baby May being held prisoner were false) at all.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
The era of Spider Man between the end of the clone saga and when Byrne took over was a pretty fun era I must say, at least I thought so when I was a kid...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All I remember from the post clone saga pre JMS days was the unceasing attempts to undo the marriage that never went anywhere because the fans loving hated it and every writer kept realizing it was impossible to write a love interest for Peter if MJ is just "maybe dead" instead of divorced or actually dead. Much like the whole clone thing, the editorial attempts to pretend the marriage never happened actively hampered the storytelling in a way that just confronting it would've solved.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone help be figure out what I need to buy if I want to own everything related to Megg, Mogg and Owl that's published right now?

I got Megahex and One More Year from the library, and there's a "Megg's Coven" book advertised in there, but I can't find that on Amazon. There's some really expensive paperbacks--but I don't know if those are included in one of the other editions or what.

I really enjoyed them so I want to buy those two, but I don't really know what else to get. I see Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam and Bad Gateway--but then also a bunch of other ones, like Happy loving Birthday, Special K, Life Zone, Worst Behavior, Magical Ecstasy Trip, Maximal Spleen...are all of these unique content or are some of those already compiled in a different version with a different title? Like, I remember reading about Owl's birthday in one of the ones from the library--is Happy loving Birthday something else?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally encountered Mantis and her first real big story with the Avengers.

Steve Englehart is fine, but holy poo poo this is awful. It’s like Deathstroke in Identity Crisis. Thor may be a god, but she knows martial arts!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mantis was a truly horrible character until Abnett and Lanning fixed her in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So in 2009 DeFalco and Mackie took another crack at the clone saga, trying to rework it into something that fit six issues and did the concepts better. They both succeeded and failed.

The biggest problem is that even pairing down the story, they're trying to fit too much into too little space. There's no room for any event to breathe, no room to focus on things, just dashing from one event to the next. This is less of a story and more of a story outline.

On the other hand, there's a lot of things that are done right. There isn't two hundred pages of mutual antagonism between Ben and Peter. When the twist in the story comes, it's the Jackal who says Peter is the clone and Ben is the real one which makes it clear that it isn't necessarily to be trusted. And their response to the possibility that they've gotten it backward all these years is, "So what?" The transition from Spider-Peter to Spider-Ben was better. And Norman is just another clone.

The final resolution didn't sit well with me. Norman may not have thought much of Harry but that's not enough reason for him to side with Peter against his son. Of all the emotional beats in the story, this one missed the mark the hardest.

Okay, that's it. No more clones. My foot is down.

Edge & Christian posted:

My braine just likes the letter "e", okaye?

Jordan7hm posted:

Finally encountered Mantis and her first real big story with the Avengers.

Steve Englehart is fine, but holy poo poo this is awful. It’s like Deathstroke in Identity Crisis. Thor may be a god, but she knows martial arts!!!

This one is very sorry that you have to deal with Mantis. IIRC, you've got a few years before the Celestial Madonna saga wraps up as well so she'll be there a lot longer than you'd like.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone help be figure out what I need to buy if I want to own everything related to Megg, Mogg and Owl that's published right now?

I got Megahex and One More Year from the library, and there's a "Megg's Coven" book advertised in there, but I can't find that on Amazon. There's some really expensive paperbacks--but I don't know if those are included in one of the other editions or what.

I really enjoyed them so I want to buy those two, but I don't really know what else to get. I see Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam and Bad Gateway--but then also a bunch of other ones, like Happy loving Birthday, Special K, Life Zone, Worst Behavior, Magical Ecstasy Trip, Maximal Spleen...are all of these unique content or are some of those already compiled in a different version with a different title? Like, I remember reading about Owl's birthday in one of the ones from the library--is Happy loving Birthday something else?

I have vague memories of Amsterdam containing Owls birthday. I think Amsterdam is part of the same comprehensive collection series that you have the first two books of. Not familiar with bad gateway.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zachack posted:

I have vague memories of Amsterdam containing Owls birthday. I think Amsterdam is part of the same comprehensive collection series that you have the first two books of. Not familiar with bad gateway.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying trying to track the stuff down and I feel it shouldn't be. All it would take is some little blurb saying that the present work contains work x, work y, and work z in their entirety along with new work or whatever.

I don't recall any actual visit to Amsterdam in the two I read, so it's like if the Amsterdam book contains stuff I've already read in a different book but also other new stuff too, that's really annoying.

The only books on Fantagraphics's site are Bad Gateway, Megahex, One More Year, and Amsterdam, along with two mini ones called Minihex and Inessential Garbage. So I have no idea where all those other books on Amazon fit in.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, it's kind of annoying trying to track the stuff down and I feel it shouldn't be. All it would take is some little blurb saying that the present work contains work x, work y, and work z in their entirety along with new work or whatever.

I don't recall any actual visit to Amsterdam in the two I read, so it's like if the Amsterdam book contains stuff I've already read in a different book but also other new stuff too, that's really annoying.

The only books on Fantagraphics's site are Bad Gateway, Megahex, One More Year, and Amsterdam, along with two mini ones called Minihex and Inessential Garbage. So I have no idea where all those other books on Amazon fit in.

Megahex, One More Year, and Amsterdam do not overlap.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My understanding is that Megahex/Amsterdam/One More Year are meant to be the 'complete' Megg and Mogg in the sense that Hanselmann has curated, revised, added to, rearranged, etc. all of the stories he's done 2010(?)-2017 into a "box set", but that there's a decent amount of one-offs and minicomics and other things that he didn't feel like collecting, hence the free-with-purchase minicomics with names like "Inessential Garbage". They're designed to be three parts of a series of collections so there shouldn't be any overlap between the three.

Bad Gateway is (I think) the first Big Megg and Mogg Story Written To Be Read All Together In One Graphic Novel. It's described in the press release about it as "Megg's Coven Book One" so I'm guessing it just changed names between being mentioned in One More Year and now.

Of the other books you mentioned, Life Zone and Worst Behavior were shorter limited editions that according to interviews are collected in full in One More Year.

Maximal Spleen, Happy loving Birthday and Magical Ecstasy Trip are albums published in France (in French) that appear to be material collected in the three Fantagraphics editions. Special K is the same, except Italian.

So basically getting the three (soon to be four) Fantagraphics books should be the most complete (and non-overlapping) way of reading everything, though you might be missing odds and ends.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

My understanding is that Megahex/Amsterdam/One More Year are meant to be the 'complete' Megg and Mogg in the sense that Hanselmann has curated, revised, added to, rearranged, etc. all of the stories he's done 2010(?)-2017 into a "box set", but that there's a decent amount of one-offs and minicomics and other things that he didn't feel like collecting, hence the free-with-purchase minicomics with names like "Inessential Garbage". They're designed to be three parts of a series of collections so there shouldn't be any overlap between the three.

Bad Gateway is (I think) the first Big Megg and Mogg Story Written To Be Read All Together In One Graphic Novel. It's described in the press release about it as "Megg's Coven Book One" so I'm guessing it just changed names between being mentioned in One More Year and now.

Of the other books you mentioned, Life Zone and Worst Behavior were shorter limited editions that according to interviews are collected in full in One More Year.

Maximal Spleen, Happy loving Birthday and Magical Ecstasy Trip are albums published in France (in French) that appear to be material collected in the three Fantagraphics editions. Special K is the same, except Italian.

So basically getting the three (soon to be four) Fantagraphics books should be the most complete (and non-overlapping) way of reading everything, though you might be missing odds and ends.

Thank you!!

That's like the best possible answer, I was getting depressed that there were random comics that were like over a hundred dollars I wouldn't be able to read. It looks like if I order from Fantagraphics directly I can get the mini comics too!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

My braine just likes the letter "e", okaye?

Maybe Osborne was ye Greene Gobline of 1602?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Esplanade posted:

Maybe Osborne was ye Greene Gobline of 1602?
He was, I just checked.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Principal Hellmann posted:

The era of Spider Man between the end of the clone saga and when Byrne took over was a pretty fun era I must say, at least I thought so when I was a kid...

It varied. DeFalco's Amazing and Mackie's Peter Parker were kind of blah (especially the latter), but 'Ringo and DeZago on Sensational were aces, and DeMatteis and Luke Ross on Spectacular were pretty cool too. (That run on Spectacular has maybe my favorite MJ story, the one where she literally beats Peter's secret identity out of Chameleon's brain with a baseball bat.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I need this 1 shot in my life.

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1109128579324018688?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh, and this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/davaja/status/1109019692835000320?s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So -- You Want to Collect Comics? posted:

My intention here is to put together a basic list to give the new collector some idea of what comprises a well-rounded collection.

Superman #2 - This was the best issue.
Action #15 thru 20 - Any of these.

Batman #4 - Easier to get than some of the earliest ones, and has some fine art by Bob Kane.
Detective #33 - 37 - May be hard to find but good examples of Batman before the time of Robin.

Capt. America #1 thru 10 - More Simon and Kirby. Be careful, though; these two gave up ol' Cap after issue #10. Only one of these is needed, but you'll probably want more after seeing it.

Marvel Comics #1 thru 20 - Try to get at least 4 or 5 of these.

From a 1962 fanzine in which a starter collection consists of books that would total around a million dollars today as a low end estimate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1109134168221315073

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Bloody hero taxi driver.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tag yourself
(Thread)
https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109536897108459520?s=19

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jokes on you, I've never read a Grant Morrison comic

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Huh, what should your favorite Grant Morrison comic be? I confess I've never really been blown away by anything he's done except All Star Superman.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I really liked his JLA run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JLA and DC One Million are some of the only things I can think of off the top of my head that I really like by Morrison. I'm just not a Morrison fan. I like All Star Superman in a different way. It's a great love letter to Superman history but it's not something I think of immediately as an all time great Superman story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

We3

(And shut-up, my cat's not ugly)

His New X-Men was also probably the best X-Men run since Claremont, though I don't like how it treats Magneto at the end.

It's all just in good fun, I found the thread through Warren Ellis tweeting this

https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/1109804166153678850?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I had frosted tips at the height of their popularity, thank you VERY much. <:mad:>

https://twitter.com/KellyKanayama/status/1109580547867754496