Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Don't worry, guys, EU's gonna come begging...

...aaaaaaaany second now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's the German car companies I'm most disappointed with...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/aqbyrne/status/1108803821818531844?s=19

How can any one person be this poo poo at negotiating?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

tarbrush posted:

Perhaps she read her best friend's best-selling book on negotiations, The Art of the Deal, and is applying its lessons?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Financial Times has this

How Theresa May decided she was willing to accept a no-deal Brexit

PM made momentous decision in the early hours of the morning after a day of acrimonious debate

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, Theresa May made a momentous choice. After a day of acrimonious debate in her cabinet and inner circle, the prime minister decided that she was willing to take Britain out of the EU without a deal.

At Thursday’s European Council meeting in Brussels, EU diplomats wondered whether Mrs May was bluffing, but those close to the prime minister said if she cannot secure her Brexit deal she is determined the UK should embark on a no-deal exit.

Since announcing on Wednesday that she would ask EU leaders for a short extension to the bloc’s Article 50 process — to delay Brexit from March 29 to June 30 — people who have spoken to the prime minister said she is reconciled to the implications of what happens if the UK parliament continues to reject her withdrawal agreement.

“The mood has hardened on no deal,” said one person close to the prime minister. One Eurosceptic Conservative MP who met Mrs May on Wednesday night said: “She didn’t seem concerned about leaving with no deal.”

The prime minister refused to rule out a no-deal Brexit as she arrived in Brussels, and in her preferred scenario this could happen on June 30.

It is a massive disaster, staggering incompetence. We are heading for no deal, which would be the first time a developed economy has essentially placed sanctions on itself

But French president Emmanuel Macron said that if the British parliament fails to approve Mrs May’s Brexit deal in a vote earmarked for next week, the UK would be heading for a no-deal exit on March 29. EU leaders were on Thursday discussing an Article 50 extension, conditional on MPs approving Mrs May’s withdrawal agreement.

There is, of course, a big question over whether Mrs May would ever be allowed to let the UK crash out of the EU in the face of massive political and business opposition.

If she loses what would be the third so-called meaningful vote by MPs on her deal next week, she would be under intense pressure to resign.

Senior Europhile Conservative MPs speculated they could ultimately join with Labour to bring down the government in a vote of no confidence and force a general election, rather than allow Mrs May to — in their view — crash the economy.

The House of Commons voted this month by 413 to 202 against the UK leaving the EU without an agreement. If Mrs May refused to heed this non-binding vote, MPs could try to seize control of the parliamentary agenda to change the law to stop a no-deal exit.

“It is a massive disaster, staggering incompetence,” said one influential Conservative MP. “She is trying to keep the party together in an extraordinarily stupid way. We are heading for no deal, which would be the first time a developed economy has essentially placed sanctions on itself.”

Under the prime minister’s scenario planning, MPs have until April 11 to agree an exit deal: that is the legal cut-off date when Britain would have to legislate to take part in May’s European Parliament elections. Mrs May is adamant Britain should not take part in those elections.

https://www.ft.com/content/c1bb68fa...c9-6917dce3dc62

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I bet Ken Clarke is regretting those 'bloody difficult woman' quotes right about now

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CactusWeasle posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1108782858565574658

So its "vote for this deal OR ELSE will have no option but to give you a much longer extension" ?

Everyone involved in this is poo poo for brains
It makes sense when you consider things from the perspective of the EU, vis-a-vis the upcoming EP elections. They're not opposing May's extension plan solely because it's too long, but because it extends past the current EP election cycle without committing to new elections. Given the earlier EU suggestion of a four year extension, they seem to want the UK to either get it over with OR to accept that it needs a lot more time to get its act together.

Actually, it's probably two different tendencies within the EU, with some preferring a clean break because they don't see the Brits ever resolving the contradictions and others wanting to delay because they figure those contradictions + demographic changes will prevent Brexit eventually. Well, there might also be a "We need more time to insulate ourselves from Brexit/lure more bankers out of the UK" contingent who'd be happy to extend even if they think the UK will Brexit eventually.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
All this hubbub only to extend Brexit for 13 days is hilariously pathetic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
such a massive oval office

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1108660548592377857

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JFairfax posted:

Financial Times has this

How Theresa May decided she was willing to accept a no-deal Brexit
"She is trying to keep the party together in an extraordinarily stupid way."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SKULL.GIF posted:

All this hubbub only to extend Brexit for 13 days is hilariously pathetic

isn't france gonna just veto it anyway

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Opferwurst posted:

I loving swear she will fly to Brussel next week and try to negotiate again. That woman is touched in the head

Theresa May is treating this like Groundhog Day, repeating the same motions over and over and over again until she works everything out just right!

except she's not actually reliving the same day

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

brugroffil posted:

Theresa May is treating this like Groundhog Day, repeating the same motions over and over and over again until she works everything out just right!

except she's not actually reliving the same day

You have to change the motions though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1108815969420488705

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Boo. No more Brelays.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Mar 21, 2019

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
britain can't even kill itself properly. pathetic.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I know May's deal is terrible and bad but given no deal has pretty much been the only alternative for months I admit if I were British I'd want Labour to vote for it. I know that's bad politics but I seeing estimates like no deal will cut 6% of GDP growth in the following 12 months. You are on the brink of inducing a recession worse than the Great Financial crisis for no reason. Like I know it sucks that the British public are being held hostage by racist maniacs but you still can't just shoot the hostages yourself.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Squalid posted:

I know May's deal is terrible and bad but given no deal has pretty much been the only alternative for months I admit if I were British I'd want Labour to vote for it. I know that's bad politics but I seeing estimates like no deal will cut 6% of GDP growth in the following 12 months. You are on the brink of inducing a recession worse than the Great Financial crisis for no reason. Like I know it sucks that the British public are being held hostage by racist maniacs but you still can't just shoot the hostages yourself.

It's funny though because no-deal really is the only way to achieve Brexit, the deal is EU membership with no power over anything in the EU.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Surely now with the mumblings about the EU, next week isnt "vote for my deal or its No Deal", when they will be fully aware its My Deal, OR the EU will consider a long extension? So why on earth would any MP vote for her 'bad' deal?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Thom12255 posted:

It's funny though because no-deal really is the only way to achieve Brexit, the deal is EU membership with no power over anything in the EU.

it's not that at all

this is the pre-negotiation agreement for EU membership with no power over anything in the EU. you wait until you see our deal, it's going to be amazing, just the best deal

CactusWeasle posted:

Surely now with the mumblings about the EU, next week isnt "vote for my deal or its No Deal", when they will be fully aware its No Deal, or the EU will consider a long extension? So why on earth would any MP vote for her 'bad' deal?

she tried to make the EU drive the car over the cliff and the EU responded by daring her to resign and giving parliament the ability to call her bluff

she's the least competent fascist in history. She's less capable than tUrpm or mussolini.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Squalid posted:

Except it's not the only alternative, no matter how hard May stamps her foot and screams that it is. We don't actually have to leave!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Except it's not the only alternative, no matter how hard May stamps her foot and screams that it is. We don't actually have to leave!

Except even Labour is too cowardly to embrace this alternative.

The UK is hosed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pook Good Mook posted:

The UK is hosed.

we deserve it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Best outcome at this point seems to be booting May, new elections and then a new government that can negotiate an EFTA type arrangement. De facto the UK would remain in the EU, but it would be enough of a symbolic change that the Gammons might be satisfied now that they saw what the alternatives are (also, UK loses its rebate and all democratic representation lol) I think that's what the EU is trying to achieve here

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

The UK is hosed.

labour will do it but it takes one vote to be done and every day of this means less chance of MPs getting shot

Opferwurst posted:

Best outcome at this point seems to be booting May, new elections and then a new government that can negotiate an EFTA type arrangement. De facto the UK would remain in the EU, but it would be enough of a symbolic change that the Gammons might be satisfied now that they saw what the alternatives are (also, UK loses its rebate and all democratic representation lol) I think that's what the EU is trying to achieve here

best outcome is the EU insist they aren't negotiating and we run a final vote on mays deal vs remain m8

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Spangly A posted:

labour will do it but it takes one vote to be done and every day of this means less chance of MPs getting shot

best outcome is the EU insist they aren't negotiating and we run a final vote on mays deal vs remain m8

Remain is gonna kill you, m8. At least 40% of Brits still want a brexti, Gammons are gonna howl and radicalize into Hypergammons

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

The UK is hosed.

Not their mess. This will take down the Tories. There's no reason it has to take down both our parties.

Opferwurst posted:

Remain is gonna kill you, m8. At least 40% of Brits still want a brexti, Gammons are gonna howl and radicalize into Hypergammons

Our lovely policestate is quite good at stopping riots. Let them bash some right wing heads for once. It's all the same to them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Opferwurst posted:

Nah, they're English, they'll do gently caress all other than moan about it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Opferwurst posted:

they're all 60 and there are very few guns in this country, i'll die tasting the victory wine

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh and those reasons too.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Our lovely policestate is quite good at stopping riots. Let them bash some right wing heads for once. It's all the same to them.

lol the head of uk counterterrorism says the papers are responsible for far-right terror, the biggest threat to the UK, and then some gammon attacks an mp to make it clear they're right

the specials busting up villages in kent is going to be loving great

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

tarbrush posted:

:trumppop:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I admit whenever I hear the elaborate theorycrafting for how Labour is going to stop Brexit despite being explicitly for it my eyes glaze over and it all just starts sounding like wishful thinking gibberish. British politics is infected with magical thinking, nothing seems real. Maybe you can grant the ghost of Gabriel Garcia Márquez citizenship and make it Prime Minister because it would definitely propose something more grounded in reality than your current leaders

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squalid posted:

despite being explicitly for it

my eyes glaze over whenever i see this take, personally

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

Don't worry, guys, EU's gonna come begging...

...aaaaaaaany second now.

they'll be moved by TIG's incredible integrity

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Squalid posted:

lol gently caress that. may and the tories will be remembered for a generation as the party that did this. labour absolutely should let them self destruct

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squalid posted:

I admit whenever I hear the elaborate theorycrafting for how Labour is going to stop Brexit despite being explicitly for it my eyes glaze over and it all just starts sounding like wishful thinking gibberish. British politics is infected with magical thinking, nothing seems real. Maybe you can grant the ghost of Gabriel Garcia Márquez citizenship and make it Prime Minister because it would definitely propose something more grounded in reality than your current leaders

you don’t actually understand anything about British politics if you think Labour wants no deal.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you don’t actually understand anything about British politics if you think Labour wants no deal.

the tv said they did though

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
GOD loving DAMMIT I PUT 33 BUCKS ON THIS poo poo YESTERDAY gently caress THIS poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol gently caress that. may and the tories will be remembered for a generation as the party that did this. labour absolutely should let them self destruct
May negotiated this with no Labour participation, she never once solicited their input or responded to their concerns, by her choice the whole thing belongs to her. Labour doesn't owe her a drat thing.