Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wish. I'm fully vaccinated but my immune system is so completely hosed from illness and heavy medications and such that I'll probably die of measles anyway if I'm exposed. There's been cases in my city in the past week and I'm really honestly afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I wish. I'm fully vaccinated but my immune system is so completely hosed from illness and heavy medications and such that I'll probably die of measles anyway if I'm exposed. There's been cases in my city in the past week and I'm really honestly afraid.

Maybe you should start to live in a bubble

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who knew that the solution the Fermi Paradox and theories about the Great Filter is mommy blogs.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, even serious side effects to chicken pox aside, chicken pox loving sucks. I think a lot of people got chicken pox young enough that they don't really remember it, and in general, the younger you are the milder it is. I was five, and I had it [i]bad/i]. It was a week of anti-itch baths and calamine lotion and DON'T SCRATCH. I had blisters in unmentionable places. I cannot stand the smell of instant oatmeal to this day, thirty years later, because it smells like the oatmeal baths my mother made me take for the brief, brief relief. Instant oatmeal smells like misery and sickness to me.

My mother somehow had chicken pox twice, once as a child and once as an adult.

Chicken pox is a herpes virus, and like other herpes viruses it reproduces by inserting its genetic material into the DNA of the cell its infected, so when that cell (and all daughter cells) divide, it copies the viral DNA along with it, causing a spread of viral DNA lying dormant in your body for forty, fifty, sixty years, until suddenly the time bomb goes off because your immune system is weakening and now you have shingles and if it's in the wrong spot and/or you're too slow getting to a doctor, you lose a goddamn eye to it or something.

It's awful and miserable and even if it's a "relatively mild disease," why would you make your kids go through that if they don't have to

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Who knew that the solution the Fermi Paradox and theories about the Great Filter is mommy blogs.

Firmly believe the internet is a no-joke net negative for the species.

We cannot trust most people with the task of building their own reality, which is what the web has enabled. The positive effects of this are genuinely good, allowing small chunks of the population with similar issues to band together in ways that would've been difficult to impossible previously. But the negative effects are probably literally going to kill most of us, not just talking about antivax, of course.

Someone above said a plague would fix this, but it would likely make it worse. They would continue to invent their own reality and blame the plague on vaccines, or say the medical community invented it to discredit antivax, , govt did it, false flag, etc. Anything and everything would be said/written/thought to protect themselves from the ultimate harm: having believed strongly, and been wrong.

A plague that killed antivaxxers kids would not snap them out. We would need a plague to kill the antivaxxers themselves.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The Munchausen by Proxy speech in True Detective springs to mind

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Anti-vaxxer jokes are the moral equivalent to dead baby jokes and people who insist on making them are just trying to justify being a 13 year old Newgrounds style shitbag.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Source your quotes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Aren’t anti vaxxer jokes literally dead baby jokes?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Anti-vaxxer jokes are the moral equivalent to dead baby jokes and people who insist on making them are just trying to justify being a 13 year old Newgrounds style shitbag.

Much like their children, anti-vax jokes never get old.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

They wouldn't be if antivaxxers were right

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember getting the chickenpox vaccine when apparently it was relatively new, and the doctor saying "we think this is about 60% effective." My older brother went to a concert and got it, spreading it to my older sister when she was back from college on Christmas break because they weren't vaccinated. On a long drive home from my grandparents, I sat in a small car with both of them and didnt get infected. Vaccines own.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Edit: nope, mom says I was vaccinated and it didn't apparently work.

Anyway I got chicken pox twice-- once as a baby, then a second time in 7th grade. The first place it showed up was my crotch, which was horribly painful, and I was sick for weeks. I can't wait to get shingles!

Anyone forcing their kid to go through preventable diseases should have their kid taken away. gently caress that.

E: and we do need to stop being kind to parents that lose a kid because they refused to vaccinate. Shame the gently caress out of them.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Mar 21, 2019

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
the problem is that vaccines are so effective that they've erased what the terrible diseases they protect from from the public conscious. I'm pretty sure that even if vaccines did cause autism at a .001% chance or whatever (they don't) it would still be totally worth it compared to, you know, dying in an iron lung with all your limbs crippled and rotting or whatever horrible poo poo our great grandparents had to deal with.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Scathach posted:

Edit: nope, mom says I was vaccinated and it didn't apparently work.

Anyway I got chicken pox twice-- once as a baby, then a second time in 7th grade. The first place it showed up was my crotch, which was horribly painful, and I was sick for weeks. I can't wait to get shingles!

Anyone forcing their kid to go through preventable diseases should have their kid taken away. gently caress that.

E: and we do need to stop being kind to parents that lose a kid because they refused to vaccinate. Shame the gently caress out of them.

I got chickenpox fairly young, and then shingles in 2nd or 3rd grade. Which means I’m basically guaranteed to get shingles at some point again, which only get worse with age. Yayyy...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's the oldest you could generally be diagnosed with autism? Why can't the anti-vaxxers at least get to that point and then vaxinate if the possibility (which is bullshit, obvious) is then reduced to essentially 0. It's because they're idiots I know, but jeez... they could at least meet in the middle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait'll they come up with a vaccine against autism

<mr_burns_diseases_door.gif>

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Because then they'd say vaccines cause something else, like Alzheimer's. They'll move the goalposts because they're absolutely insane and stupid as gently caress.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

New Wave Jose posted:

Maybe you should start to live in a bubble

I did for 2 months when I was too sick to do anything, but now I'm broke and not dying so back to work I go.

I got chicken pox at 13 and it was nasty. Nasty. I had them on my eyeballs and inside my mouth and throat. The vaccine didn't exist back then. I even went to pox parties where my mom exposed me to sick kids so I could get it when I was younger when it wasn't as bad, but it didn't work when I was in my single digit age.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's the oldest you could generally be diagnosed with autism? Why can't the anti-vaxxers at least get to that point and then vaxinate if the possibility (which is bullshit, obvious) is then reduced to essentially 0. It's because they're idiots I know, but jeez... they could at least meet in the middle.

Amy Schumer's husband just got diagnosed at like 30 or 40 or something. There's technically no cap.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

CharlestheHammer posted:

yes. that's my point. they are morally equivalent.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's easier to detect early due to it generally having slow development regarding walking or talking as a symptom compared to the more vague symptoms as a person grows.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Actally, Anti vax jokes are morally equivalent to dumb parent jokes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Actally, Anti vax jokes are morally equivalent to dumb parent jokes.

No they’re not. If anything the problem is that antivaxxers won’t shut the gently caress up, not that they’re completely silent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCOpjr9Rzw

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

No they’re not. If anything the problem is that antivaxxers won’t shut the gently caress up, not that they’re completely silent.

:dadjoke:

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
in THIS house
we
BELIEVE
in
MAHOMNAD

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
This was one of the better responses I've found to Anti-Vaxx. The fact that your kid might survive a childhood illness does not mean you shouldn't vaccinate.

Content:

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008
MAHO
MAHOMNAD
I want to be
a MAHOMNAD

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I nearly lost my job today because of an antivaxxer. She called to change her doctor to someone who "wouldn't shame her for her beliefs" regarding vaccination, and the whole time I had to bite back my rage while she went on about lead in vaccines and autism and bodily autonomy. If I replied the way I wanted, I would have been fired.

So I assigned her a new doctor and wished her a good day. I was polite, professional, and possibly complicit in the death of a child.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OH NO POLYSORBATE 80 & 20 :supaburn:

VACCINES CONTAIN DIHYDROGEN loving MONOXIDE

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

:derp: OMG CHEMICALS IN MY BABY :derp:

Dr's offices need posters like this so all the anti-vax people feel extra stupid

Yesterday my local newspaper had an article about spring cleaning and getting toxins out of your house. It was written by some dumbass naturopath and full of ridiculous advice. I can't believe they even put it in the paper.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Obviously anti vaccination movements are dangerous and stupid but the ubiquity of boring dunks on them literally everywhere on the internet is irritating as hell

Anti antivaxx image macros are like catnip on Reddit for thousands of people to feel smug about their rationality and smarts in between posting about how women need to make less money and Stephen Pinker is the only one who understands capitalism and it’s virtue and it seems like it’s an easy touchstone for idiots to feel validated

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

I think we also need to less kind to parents who lose children because of this. I’m talking legal consequences and heavy social shaming. You feel bad? Well good, because you’re the reason that child is dead. Live with that loving guilt the rest of your life, and don’t ever forget it.

I know that’s not productive but this topic makes me very angry

It's no different than those people who try to pray away their kids diabetes.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1583169/Diabetic-girl-dies-as-parents-pray-instead-of-calling-for-medical-aid.html

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

quote:

Police are now preparing a report for prosecutors. However, legal action against the parents may be prevented by a Wisconsin state statute against failing to act to protect children from bodily harm.

The statute contains an exemption for what it refers to as "treatment through prayer". Mrs Neumann, whose husband is a former policeman, said they had never expected her daughter to die. She suffered from diabetic ketoacidosis, which left her with too little insulin.

She said her family believed in the Bible and that healing came from God. But she insisted that they were not "crazy religious people" and had nothing against doctors.

Wow it's like they couldn't be shittier if they tried. And a disgusted lol at the law in question.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm not a crazy religious person and once the angels sound their trumpets and God casts the sinners into Hell while opening the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN for us true believers you're going to regret your narrow-minded prejudices.

I want to ask people like this if they think God is pleased with how they're using the brain He provided.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you want to do Athiest Inquisitions just know that no matter how compelling your arguments and ironclad your logic, it will end with the person saying "Look it's a matter of faith" and you lose.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ChaseSP posted:

It's easier to detect early due to it generally having slow development regarding walking or talking as a symptom compared to the more vague symptoms as a person grows.

It's especially stupid as autism diagnoses have really only gone up because we started looking for it. Most autistic people are high functioning and just kind of awkward or face blind or whatever. They also have a tendency to make good engineers so why would we want to cure autism? The totally crippling autism that anti-vaxxers are terrified of is actually pretty rare.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

If you want to do Athiest Inquisitions just know that no matter how compelling your arguments and ironclad your logic, it will end with the person saying "Look it's a matter of faith" and you lose.

I’m reminded of that old joke about the flood and the guy on the roof where people keep coming by to save him and he says he trusts that God will do it and then he does and God was like I sent a half a dozen loving you dumb poo poo, Christ almighty and then Jesus is like what and Gods like no not you and then the guy tries to turn it into a whos on first bit even though it’s not really like that and finally god has enough of his poo poo and sends him to hell where he reads my posts for eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Frog Act posted:

Obviously anti vaccination movements are dangerous and stupid but the ubiquity of boring dunks on them literally everywhere on the internet is irritating as hell

Anti antivaxx image macros are like catnip on Reddit for thousands of people to feel smug about their rationality and smarts in between posting about how women need to make less money and Stephen Pinker is the only one who understands capitalism and it’s virtue and it seems like it’s an easy touchstone for idiots to feel validated

this. this is why i'm actually upset. it's the Rick & Morty of memes: stupid, low-hanging, incredibly obvious poo poo. you just find/replace "dead baby" with "antivax baby" and it's the same goddamn bullshit.