Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the Armour King definitely remembers the arse-end of the Second Empire, it's just that he's got robo-autism and didn't pay much of it any mind except the bits that had something to do with armour. Or maybe he has some kind of PTSD and has retreated into the armour business to escape :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Considering some of the poo poo the (skeleton-ruled) Second Empire got up to, they all have a pretty vested interest in convincing that they totally for-reals had nothing at all to do with and if they did, they committed personality suicide and don't remember. At all.

Just to give that context, the place got so bad that even parts of its own skeleton ruling class ended up rebelling against it. Mad Cat-Lon is still salty about it when you meet him.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Not sure if this is a spoiler free thread for lore But if you talk to the scholar Iyo in Worlds End as a Skeleton and ask about the first extinction he says "Lets drop this charade you know what happened" whereas if you talk to him as another race he just gives some bullshit answers, that sound plausible.

I think what happened in my head cannon on a sequence of events.

Kenshi was settled by seed ships crewed by Skeletons who terraformed the planet somewhat. Then raised the first few generations of settlers and generally served the humans. The First Empire was connected to some kind of interstellar polity, but this broke down possibly in a big war that was partially fought on the planet. After the war Skeletons rebelled against the Humans who possibly tried to genocide them at Obedience (which is spooky af). This war between humans and skeletons is what hosed up Kenshi's ecosystem mostly and the Skeletons "won" but at big cost. Eventually they rebuilt a Second Empire out of the ashes with them in charge and Hivers/Shek were attempts to I dunno do some kind of human engineering to create a warrior race and also a disposable workforce? Maybe the Hivers were stranded aliens from the big war?. Cat-Lon was just the last regent etc. of the Empire and became increasingly despotic until it broke down into anarchy until the modern nations like the UC arose after an interegnum.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

LMAO that the pathfiding in this game is a commercial product that someone is selling, in and of itself. I wanna know who the developer is. Have they no shame? Have they no decency?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's probably done by apple maps or something

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I can command my squad of 20-ish guys to travel to a location that is at least 50 metres removed in height and 10 kilometres of real-world distance away and have them all arrive mostly at the same time, most of the time.

I mean, it has its hiccups, but I think that's pretty impressive, given the sheer variety of the topography.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Weird thing I've noticed about the slave situation - if you free a slave from their shackles and cage, it triggers some sort of Detroit Become Human sentience poo poo where all of a sudden they will stop doing anything except escaping. I think all my loving with guard inventories and putting shackles on them and stuff have also bugged out the AI a bit, to where a lot of times it will take them a while to...anything. A lot of times they won't even try to recapture you if you get out of your shackles, they'll just stand there. They will also just let you bleed out unless another non-bugged guard rolls by and helps you out. But, because of these two interactions of "prisoner constantly tries to escape" and "guards won't re-shackle prisoners," I have accidentally condemned maybe four or five prisoners to an endless beating where they will go unconscious, wake up, try to make a run for it, only to be immediately hacked with a sword and not healed. One poor fucker is now down an arm and a leg and STILL keeps trying to get out. I'm waiting until my MA is high enough to actually defeat the guards who I haven't crippled to leave, but man I hope he lasts that long so I can carry his rear end out of here.

A possible solution to this problem is to just re-enslave the NPC by putting them in a cage, thus making them also a priority for healing. Genius, I though to myself. Unfortunately, escaping from slavejail is a crime. Attacking guards is a crime. Theft is a crime. And all those crime add up, and re-capturing a slave will give you whatever bounty the Holy Order put on their head. The bounty on Mr Cripple I mentioned earlier?

99,000 cats.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Take Kenshi and apply a bit of Alpha Centauri to it with factions adjusting to your group and each other's tech and civil choices

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

I can command my squad of 20-ish guys to travel to a location that is at least 50 metres removed in height and 10 kilometres of real-world distance away and have them all arrive mostly at the same time, most of the time.

I mean, it has its hiccups, but I think that's pretty impressive, given the sheer variety of the topography.

Hopefully the new one will not have my pack animals take a different route than everyone else because they're "bigger".....Also, I'm so sick of them getting stuck in a house and having to pick them up in order to get them through a door that they're not supposed to be able to fit through to begin with

vv thats why they follow me in the houses vvv :(

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 21, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A personal recommendation I would give in that regard, by the way, would be to manually set everything except for the leader of the group as following the leader rather than instructing them to travel to the target point individually. This is actually what the "squad formation" option in AI menu refers to - when you see those military patrols in nice, clean box shapes, that's what the military selection gives you for following a leader and then just direction that leader somewhere. Nomads, of course, use the caravan setting.

It's substantially slower a lot of the time, but it's basically 100% reliable, because the followers always reorient back on the lead character, especially if you make it a job.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kenshi 2 hell yes I thought maybe he was going to go make some other game with his Kenshi windfall but nope!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Anyone know if player built walls block spawns of nests? Found a sweet little spot with an iron and copper node feet away from each other and 50% stone at the entrance to the Grid, but it has a nest icon right smack dab in the middle of where I want to build.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OgNar posted:

Anyone know if player built walls block spawns of nests? Found a sweet little spot with an iron and copper node feet away from each other and 50% stone at the entrance to the Grid, but it has a nest icon right smack dab in the middle of where I want to build.
Nests have populations of animals defending them and can be permanently wiped out like bandit camps, although I'm not really 100% on what the condition for that is - usually they just go away when you've killed enough stuff. Once you do that, they don't respawn.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Kenshi 2 hell yes I thought maybe he was going to go make some other game with his Kenshi windfall but nope!

He should buy up the game files of B.C. from whatever is left of Lionhead and finish making it in the Kenshi engine.

The game graphics wouldn't even need to be updated.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone have recommendations for cool mods? i installed something called Hive Expanded cause i want to play as some hive dudes, gonna see how that goes. i'd prefer like well balanced mods but I would like some alternate starts, and i always like to play as weird monsters and poo poo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

when I update Clown Mod I think I might add in the ability to spawn as Steady. Gotta' figure out how to prevent him from spawning in normally when I do that, though.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Give the clown his own faction and set it hostile to the player clown spawn option. Clown v Clown deathmatch in Clownsteady.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been digging a bit more into the combat mechanics and especifically heavy weapons. As far as I know, dexterity alone sets your base attack speed, but to be able to properly wield a weapon and attack at normal speed you need, at least, as much strength as double the weapon's weight. Is this correct? Because weight seems directly proportional to the weapon's quality and for the higher weapon grades you can find something like this:

If I'm understanding this correctly, nobody can attack normally with this one because the required strength exceeds 100, which is the attribute cap. Fragment axes are awesome in paper if you consider the pure damage and reach, but goddamit their attribute requirements are absurdly high.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been digging a bit more into the combat mechanics and especifically heavy weapons. As far as I know, dexterity alone sets your base attack speed, but to be able to properly wield a weapon and attack at normal speed you need, at least, as much strength as double the weapon's weight. Is this correct? Because weight seems directly proportional to the weapon's quality and for the higher weapon grades you can find something like this:

If I'm understanding this correctly, nobody can attack normally with this one because the required strength exceeds 100, which is the attribute cap. Fragment axes are awesome in paper if you consider the pure damage and reach, but goddamit their attribute requirements are absurdly high.

If I recall correctly, robotic limb fuckery lets you go above the cap.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

They are doable with those industrial lifter robot arms (they can bring strength over 100) but then once you start taking damage and your strength drops you have a problem.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Oh, I forgot about the robot limbs, however to use high grade fragment axes or planks it still means a ton of strength grinding. I don't know how people grinds 90+ skills without mods, it seems like a giant hassle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Part of the schtick is you swing once and several targets are now missing the use of limbs or knocked out so the following swing being a little slow won't be a big deal.

For sustained attrition fights against things that won't fold in half when hit with a frag axe, there are better choices. You get a team so it's not like everybody needs a gently caress off frag axe.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
But fragment axes impresses shek ladies!

Just look at the size of those stats!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Shek weapons are entirely dick measuring contest weapons anyway. They're not built for effectiveness.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So I play games like this in a generally law-abiding way. I feel skeezy when the things I loot off the dead are listed as stolen, even if it's only considered a crime to loot official citizens of the big three. Just to get my hand in the game, I set up one of my martial artists in stealth gear and trained him to a modest level of competence (Needing to steal a cup and set of tools to make the thievery training object, which struck me as fitting).

My first target was a Holy Nation armory, where I found a few thousand cats worth of armor and 40k cash value in blueprints. I don't think I'll really have a problem resorting to crime in the future.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

In Kenshi, crime pays (a whole loving hell of a lot).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Nests have populations of animals defending them and can be permanently wiped out like bandit camps, although I'm not really 100% on what the condition for that is - usually they just go away when you've killed enough stuff. Once you do that, they don't respawn.

can you actually wipe out animal nests? the hive village closest to my base had a beak thing nest spawn fairly close to it and it's basically depopulated the place of hive soldiers, I've led a few expeditions to take it out but loving beak things are a pain in the rear end and I can't seem to make it stick despite putting half my squad into bedrest. Last time I went to town they'd busted into the robotics shop and eaten the trader, I'm worried they'll do the same to the general store trader (best buddy, loves to trade) if I don't wipe them out entirely

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had any luck with the Reactive World beta? I wanna obliterate the Samurai Abstinence Patrol and demolish the United Cities.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

can you actually wipe out animal nests? the hive village closest to my base had a beak thing nest spawn fairly close to it and it's basically depopulated the place of hive soldiers, I've led a few expeditions to take it out but loving beak things are a pain in the rear end and I can't seem to make it stick despite putting half my squad into bedrest. Last time I went to town they'd busted into the robotics shop and eaten the trader, I'm worried they'll do the same to the general store trader (best buddy, loves to trade) if I don't wipe them out entirely
Yeah, you absolutely can. I regularly get messages to the tune of "Fog-Man Death Yard #xyz has been wiped out" whenever I travel through the Fog Islands and I once wiped out a River Raptor nest that I had accidentally enclosed within my outpost's walls. It doesn't even have to be you doing it, something just has to be wiping the population out, possibly repeatedly.

If you have difficulty getting rid of one particular nest in specific, consider the possibility that there are still associated Beak Things running around the rest of the zone and that you can't make it stick because they're just not actually all there. Nests are spread around the map at the beginning of the game based on a random seed, they don't pop into existence dynamically. Once you've gotten rid of one, it'll stay gone.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone know how to remove the taint of faction armour from, well, armour? I've got the armour of Lord Phoenix and his lackeys, and I want to wear them for bragging points without having to fear my Shek buddies and the UC trying to chop me up.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
This nice thing about Beak Things is their attack has a wind-up. You can micro-manage your dudes to run out of the attack zone while others attack from the back. I actually find them one of the 'easier' hard mobs to take out...if a bit player-action intensive.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yeah, after my initial terrifying encounters with beak things I like them now that I have a squad that can murder them without breaking a sweat. They're very useful for meat, leather, and training toughness on hapless new recruits. I like how even after reaching the point of the game where you can handle virtually any challenges you can still kind of reset back to the old days by sending out a squad of scrubs to get repeatedly beat down until they build up their skills and get added to the wrecking crew, with the added advantage that if they get squad wiped by cannibals or beak things you can just have your heavy hitters swoop in and rescue them.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I like having the nest there to go on beak hunts because it's easy to get them to blast your guys limbs off or at least kick their asses enough for some good toughness xp, plus unlimited meat for meatwraps and leather for armor, plus when I first noticed it I snuck a guy in for a good 40k worth of eggs, I'd be fine with them if they'd quit eating my hive buddies. They're definitely way less scary than when I was trying to run my whole group over Shem towards the start of the game but it's still a pain to fight a shitload of them at once, I think I just need more crossbow guys

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I think I just need more crossbow guys

More crossbow guys solves all problems except the problem of your crossbow guys shooting your other guys and their fellow crossbow guys full of crossbow bolts

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I think Stones perception is bugged. It stays at 0 and I know he's the fucker who keeps pegging everyone in the back.
Heft and Green both have perception in the 20s and I got Stone first.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The stat for not shooting your own people is "precision shooting" and you level it by shooting your own people. Give 'em a toothpick and set them behind your melee group and it'll get into the sixties pretty fast

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clark Nova posted:

The stat for not shooting your own people is "precision shooting" and you level it by shooting your own people. Give 'em a toothpick and set them behind your melee group and it'll get into the sixties pretty fast

Someone make a "That's Kenshi!" smilie already

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, I kinda wish there was some sort of fast(er) travel in this game. I busted out of Rebirth (again) with like 35 MA and 50 STR, and overall just busted-rear end stats. Went to the Hub, made a chest to drop some stuff for later, and began a BIG trek up to the north. Met the Armor King, went through the Cannibal Plains where some roaming tech hunters helped me clear out the Suspicious Tower, recruited Burns, and got a TON of loot from the northernmost coast. Problem is, there's still a bunch of loot up there I need to snag from all the outposts, but even five people and three backpacks couldn't lug it all back to World's End. So, I'm considering buying a Garu for packmuleing, but the only place where I know to buy them is from a town preeeeeeeety drat far away near the Swamplands. I could just send one person and let the rest of the team head north, but I don't want to have to micromanage the guy all the time in case he gets attacked by roaming bandits or something on this huge trek, and then there's the trip back with the Garu. it also makes me wary of buying real estate in towns wondering if I'll ever reasonably come back, which is primarily what's stopping me from just setting up shop in World's End for a long while.

I'm also unsure what to do with my cash other than continually buying as many one-time-payment units as I can find. I found a fishing village full of people who want like 4k cats to join, but most of them have awful stats and are meant to be base laborers, but I'm definitely not at a point where I can make a base. I suppose the only reason I'd need to establish myself outside of a town is for mining and farming, but for now I could just buy up raw materials in town and convert them into chainmail or something. But again, I'm worried about choosing a town to settle down in because it need to have enough empty houses for all my poo poo (Hub is ideal) but also enough vendors to keep me stocked (Hub is not ideal)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/gc5c94484465c42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man, I kinda wish there was some sort of fast(er) travel in this game. I busted out of Rebirth (again) with like 35 MA and 50 STR, and overall just busted-rear end stats. Went to the Hub, made a chest to drop some stuff for later, and began a BIG trek up to the north. Met the Armor King, went through the Cannibal Plains where some roaming tech hunters helped me clear out the Suspicious Tower, recruited Burns, and got a TON of loot from the northernmost coast. Problem is, there's still a bunch of loot up there I need to snag from all the outposts, but even five people and three backpacks couldn't lug it all back to World's End. So, I'm considering buying a Garu for packmuleing, but the only place where I know to buy them is from a town preeeeeeeety drat far away near the Swamplands. I could just send one person and let the rest of the team head north, but I don't want to have to micromanage the guy all the time in case he gets attacked by roaming bandits or something on this huge trek, and then there's the trip back with the Garu. it also makes me wary of buying real estate in towns wondering if I'll ever reasonably come back, which is primarily what's stopping me from just setting up shop in World's End for a long while.

I'm also unsure what to do with my cash other than continually buying as many one-time-payment units as I can find. I found a fishing village full of people who want like 4k cats to join, but most of them have awful stats and are meant to be base laborers, but I'm definitely not at a point where I can make a base. I suppose the only reason I'd need to establish myself outside of a town is for mining and farming, but for now I could just buy up raw materials in town and convert them into chainmail or something. But again, I'm worried about choosing a town to settle down in because it need to have enough empty houses for all my poo poo (Hub is ideal) but also enough vendors to keep me stocked (Hub is not ideal)

Pretty sure there is an animal trader in the SW city in the desert. Stoat or maybe Heng.