Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

succ posted:

I'm not sure if the translation is bad but the characters in the Three Body Problem series are loving AWFUL. Such bad writing.

The themes and ideas are revolutionary for sci-fi and kept me reading until the last book. I recommend it for that alone.

EVERYONE IS 'FAMOUS'! poo poo broke my brain in the 25% of the first book in the series I read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I'm going to try reading Cryptonomicon again. I made it bout halfway through when I was in high school and I feel like I want to try again.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

im on the net me boys posted:

I'm going to try reading Cryptonomicon again. I made it bout halfway through when I was in high school and I feel like I want to try again.

First page: is a coolie a type of bird?
Next couple of pages: no that doesn't seem right
Dictionary: oh

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Cryptonomicon memory is that it was kind of reactionary in presenting STEMboy programmers and engineers as the vanguard of the future and demonstrating the filthy humanities scholars of academe as weak and disrespectful of the Greatest Generation, plus so dumb that they thought poor people wouldn’t be able to afford internet access.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I finished The Farthest Shore today, completing the first Earthsea trilogy. I won't spoil much about it beyond it's a great twist on the Merlin-and-Arthur story, but I do want to quote this part of the foreword by Le Guin which I enjoyed and appreciated:

Ursula K. Le Guin posted:

IT WOULD BE LOVELY IF writing a story was like getting into a little boat that drifted off and took me to the promised land, or climbing on a dragon’s back and flying off to Selidor. But it’s only as a reader that I can do that. As a writer, to take full responsibility without claiming total control requires a lot of work, a lot of groping and testing, flexibility, caution, watchfulness. I have no chart to follow, so I have to be constantly alert. The boat needs steering. There have to be long conversations with the dragon I ride. But however watchful and aware I am, I know I can never be fully aware of the currents that carry the boat, of where the winds beneath the dragon’s wings are blowing.

A writer lives and works in the world she was born into, and no matter how firm her own purpose, or how seemingly far from the present day her subject, she and her work are subject to the changing winds and currents of that world.

I was a child during the Great Depression, and eleven years old when America entered the Second World War. I wrote this book soon after the Sixties—a time of high tides and high winds, of great hope and wild folly, when for a while it seemed a more generous vision might replace the sour dream of profiteering and consumerism that has been the bane of my country.

As I look back at the book now, I see how it reflects that time. Along with the active movement to free America from racist injustice and from militarism, there was a real vision of getting free from compulsive materialism, the confusion of goods with good. Yet already we were watching much of that vision blur off into wishful thinking or become drug-dependent.

Being an irreligious puritan and a rational mystic, I think it’s irresponsible to let a belief think for you or a chemical dream for you.

So the book’s dark themes of loss and betrayal took shape. So Ged and Arren had to come to Hort Town, and drug addiction and slavery are seen for the first time in the Archipelago. Evil, in this book, has an immediate, ugly, human shape, because I saw evil not as some horde of foreign demons with bad teeth and superweapons but as an insidious and ever-present enemy in my own daily life in my own country: the ruinous irresponsibility of greed.

We are frequently told that greed for endless increase of material goods is natural and universal—as is greed for endless life. We are all supposed to agree that you can’t be too rich or live too long.

The desire to live is certainly natural and universal, since it’s the basic directive of living creatures: once born, our job and our desire is to try to stay alive.

But is that the same as a desire to stay alive forever, to be immortal? Or is it just that we can’t imagine not being, so we invent an endless existence called immortality?

Knowing that everything on earth has an end, we know the afterlife can’t be on earth, so it has to be somewhere else—a totally other place where the living can’t come and where nothing can ever change. To me, the imagery of the various afterlives and underworlds, the heavens and hells, appears marvelous and powerful, but I can’t believe in any of them except as I “believe” in any imaginative creation as a hint, an indication, a sign of something more than can be said or shown. The idea of individual immortality, an endless ego-existence, is more dreadful to me than the idea of letting go the self in death to rejoin shared, eternal being. I see life as a shared gift, received from others and passed on to others, and living and dying as one process, in which lies both our suffering and our reward. Without mortality to purchase it, how can we have the consciousness of eternity? I think the price is worth paying.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Correction -- that's the afterword, not foreword. To add to this, I find it real interesting that in the 60s Le Guin was able to express so much of the same sentiment that drives us today in CSPAM:

quote:

the sour dream of profiteering and consumerism that has been the bane of my country.

quote:

evil not as some horde of foreign demons with bad teeth and superweapons but as an insidious and ever-present enemy in my own daily life in my own country: the ruinous irresponsibility of greed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

anyone happen to read "Too Beautiful For Words"? its apparently a book based on the coup's Me and Jesus the Pimp in a '79 Granada Last Night

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Correction -- that's the afterword, not foreword. To add to this, I find it real interesting that in the 60s Le Guin was able to express so much of the same sentiment that drives us today in CSPAM:

Yeah, Le Guin is my favorite American writer in history for a reason. She really hated capitalism lol

A lot of her asides and contributions to things are like this. You read her stories and think that she thought very deeply about everything going on here, then you read her non-fiction and realize that isn't even the half of it lol. I was very upset when she passed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lol i was listening to a sci-fi podcast talking about octavia butler and one of the hosts said her work was so depressing that when he read it as a kid he asked his mom if they could mail her cookies to cheer her up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I started reading Tehanu, the fourth Earthsea book and apparently written several years after The Farthest Shore, and Le Guin seems to have discovered academic feminism between these two books because Tehanu is about Tenar-from-book-2's later life and how much the Earthsea society actually loving sucks for women and it's like explicitly spelled out and addressed instead of obliquely referenced

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol Tehanu is just a gigantic poo poo on men, this rules

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol Tehanu is just a gigantic poo poo on men, this rules

Once you finish with that, read The Matter of Seggri if you haven't already. It's a bit of a gut punch in terms of role reversal and an examination of privilege versus freedom as well as flipping the current world theme you're in on its head. It's easily the #1 pick of mine for "short story that I've thought back on the most"

Also it's short and available for free online!

I love Le Guin but have never read any of the Earthsea books, maybe I should remedy that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

I love Le Guin but have never read any of the Earthsea books, maybe I should remedy that

the first three books are a fairly standard (with the le guin twist on them) merlin and-then-arthur travels, then tehanu goes "what if all of these people were loving garbage and actually women had the answers all along"

I'll try out matter of seggri and lathe of heaven once I finish books 4 and 5 of earthsea

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tomorrow morning if I'm not too busy I'll post excerpts from Tehanu because they're like, good, but also depressing because this is how it is for people in our society even 30 years after she wrote this, but also good because it's a clear-eyed depiction of how it actually is to interact with men

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

GalacticAcid posted:

Started Debt, the IMF, and the World Bank: Sixty Questions, Sixty Answers by Éric Toussaint and Damien Millet this morning. I'll update when I finish.

is this good?

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

there's a lot of novel recommends itt, does anyone have some cspam non fiction i got a buncha poo poo saved from the old lf book thread but i need more recommends

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

IDONTPOST posted:

there's a lot of novel recommends itt, does anyone have some cspam non fiction i got a buncha poo poo saved from the old lf book thread but i need more recommends

Did you read The New Jim Crow yet? If so, have you read it again

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

IDONTPOST posted:

what kinds of topics are you interested in?

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Finicums Wake posted:

what kinds of topics are you interested in?

im looking for anything non marxism related as i got a poo poo of those qued up from the lf days, i just read year of meteors which i think was recommended here, so im just looking for anything non fiction that's not reactionary trash.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm gonna interpret "non-marxism" to mean, more broadly, books not about politcal-economy.

for criticisms of american foreign policy, william blum's killing hope is insanely good. rajiv chandrasekaran's book on iraq, imperial life in the emerald city, is worth checking out as well.

if you're interested in 20th century history, rick perlstein wrote a trilogy of books covering the conservative movement that's often reccomended on these forums. the first, before the storm, centers around the barry goldwater campaign.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this pic actually made me yell out loud in anger, see if you can spot why:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ah, The Grapes of Wrath, where in the end they’re able to get those grapes through hard work and live easy eating them for the rest of their days.

Also if we’re talking movie Wonder Woman, she probably belongs closer to the right side given her attitude re: dropping white phosphorus onto Palestinian elementary schools.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm reading A Scanner Darkly right now and its real good

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

IDONTPOST posted:

"white trash" by nancy isenberg is an interesting bit of American history and a helpful reminder that there is no war but class war and a bit of a study into poor white folks and how the monied class hosed up some real solidarity back in the day

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

only 1/5 of the way through How We Get Free and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna end up highlighting this entire book, extremely good, blunt, concise, and convincing

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Epic High Five posted:

this pic actually made me yell out loud in anger, see if you can spot why:

At first I was like "wow calling 1984 a David and Goliath story is dumb as hell," and then I kept reading and lol

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

it’s non-fiction and massively long (1100 pages) but I’m on page 1040 and I can really really recommend The Executioner’s Song. it’s not really political, per se, but it’s politically adjacent and suuuuuper loving good. I highly recommend it to all cspammers who need a massive book to read. really loving great. easily the best nonfiction read in the last few years.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Pathos posted:

it’s non-fiction and massively long (1100 pages) but I’m on page 1040 and I can really really recommend The Executioner’s Song. it’s not really political, per se, but it’s politically adjacent and suuuuuper loving good. I highly recommend it to all cspammers who need a massive book to read. really loving great. easily the best nonfiction read in the last few years.

I commute around 3 hours a day. Massive nonfiction audiobooks are extremely my poo poo. I just used an audible credit on it. Thanks!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah it's good imo

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Eat This Glob posted:

I commute around 3 hours a day. Massive nonfiction audiobooks are extremely my poo poo. I just used an audible credit on it. Thanks!

awesome! let me know what you think of it when you finish it in 6 months

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

about 1/4 of the way through and Dune Messiah so far is good but lacks the spark that the original had, probably just the fact that the world is now established in a serious way

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
lmao just wait until you get to God Emperor

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm finally reading Invisible Bridge (Perlstein's third book on American conservatism) and it's great. Really makes it seem like Trump is largely Reagan 2.0: This Time He Grew Up with gently caress You Money

Perlstein submitted the manuscript for his final book recently so we'll have another huge depressing tome in 6-12 months I guess

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

I'm reading A Scanner Darkly right now and its real good

I just started this having never seen the movie and now I think I gotta see the movie

also what is the deal with PK Dick and the wiry brunette femme fatale character in all 3 of his books I've read so far, you'd think he has a type

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Reading multiple books by the same sci fi author will invariably give you way more details about their hosed up brain than you probably ever cared to know.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Helsing posted:

Reading multiple books by the same sci fi author will invariably give you way more details about their hosed up brain than you probably ever cared to know.

scanner darkly is pretty much pkd telling you exactly how much his brain is hosed up

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

scanner darkly is pretty much pkd telling you exactly how much his brain is hosed up

yeah it owns

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Helsing posted:

this is especially true with PKD

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

OR Books is having a half off sale until May 5 to celebrate May Day. It applies to everything and you don't need a code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I picked up Everything was Forever, Until it was no No More: The Last Soviet Generation and wow, this book is an incredible eye opener for someone venturing into a lot of Postwar history recently and trying to come to terms with how badly I was brain washed, as an American, with my views on the USSR. I had always been able to decouple the idea of US Government, the Republic, and American People, but not so for the USSR's government, Communism, and the Soviet people until very very recently, and finding this book as I'm starting to rebuild the concept in my mind feels like incredible good luck.