Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
SO ANYWAY I had some fun roleplaying my Tempest Cleric being turned sort of evil by Strahd last week. Mild mid/late games spoilers ahead.

Our DM gave me a somewhat homebrew version of the Tome of Strahd that cursed you after a week, giving some pretty bad debuffs. I asked him about it one on one and he basically said it was more something to consider in roleplay terms rather then my stats.

So we were heading to the Amber temple and my character starts to become a bit obsessed with continually reading the tome, ignoring the other party members or outright dismissing them verbally for interruptions. Upon getting to the temple our "that player" warforged eldritch knight steams ahead and opens a room containing a heap of berserking wildmen and a direwolf. This isnt really anything difficult to deal with at all but my cleric who usually is dealing heaps of spirit guardian damage is instead more interested in sitting away from the fight continuing to be enveloped by the tome.

After a few rounds of battle I get my cleric up and demand everyone shuts up and I cast gust of wind to just push them away. Then i subsequently ramped up to channeled divinity shatters and thunderwaves which actually then had collateral damage to a couple of teammates but resolved the fight very quickly.

Possibly ramped up faster then I originally wanted but it did trigger the Eldritch Knight to steal the Tome from my character and get it into a bag of holding which "broke the curse" after a little one on one PVP with him. My cleric then had a crisis of faith, running outside blasting everything in his way before spending 10 minutes praying to Thor in a thunderstorm, collapsing and then waking up with no memory of what happened. :v:

Good session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

On a completely unrelated note, if someone says "I use Athletics to make the rock no longer impede us," am I an rear end in a top hat to expect them to tell me whether they push, pull, smash, lift, roll, etc.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

On a completely unrelated note, if someone says "I use Athletics to make the rock no longer impede us," am I an rear end in a top hat to expect them to tell me whether they push, pull, smash, lift, roll, etc.

:thunk:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What is a fun martial class to combine with Ritual Caster?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Smashing Link posted:

What is a fun martial class to combine with Ritual Caster?

Barb. Since it doesn't conflict with raging, go hog wild.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat for trying to find a way to drag out this dumb discussion any further

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I'm going to be taking Ritual Caster on my divination wizard so he can learn cleric rituals like Augury/Commune/Divination.

Have you guys had trouble finding rituals after taking the feat? I'm worried about how difficult it will be to find what I want other than the two 1st level rituals I get for free. It's not like we typically find clerical spellbooks in treasure hoards, so I think I'd be limited to either finding a spell scroll of the spell I want, or finding a friendly NPC cleric of a high enough level to teach me the spell.

I checked with my DM before we started the campaign to make sure I'd eventually be exposed to some way to pursue my goal, but he warned that it might take a while. I hope he takes it easy on me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In all seriousness, whether they pushed the rock into the tunnel, pulled it to one side, yeeted it over the side of the cliff, or shattered it to gravel with their mighty thews all could have a pretty major impact depending on circumstances.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 21, 2019

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Anyone have low-level user-made/third-party adventure recommendations from DMs Guild? I see a few decent things on there but was curious if anyone in the thread has experience running some of the non-first party stuff that's available.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Nemo posted:

I'm going to be taking Ritual Caster on my divination wizard so he can learn cleric rituals like Augury/Commune/Divination.

Have you guys had trouble finding rituals after taking the feat? I'm worried about how difficult it will be to find what I want other than the two 1st level rituals I get for free. It's not like we typically find clerical spellbooks in treasure hoards, so I think I'd be limited to either finding a spell scroll of the spell I want, or finding a friendly NPC cleric of a high enough level to teach me the spell.

I checked with my DM before we started the campaign to make sure I'd eventually be exposed to some way to pursue my goal, but he warned that it might take a while. I hope he takes it easy on me.

In the campaign that I run, I have a player who runs a RC Barb, and there have been the occasional shops that deal in some common magic items and some low level scrolls (currently they are level 6 so I will have to adjust as we move forward). They usually have a small grocery list of what rituals they are interested in, and the way I tend to handle it is by providing some, maybe even most of what they are looking for, as well as a couple things they may not be immediately interested in. I give out money pretty generously and they play their character as a big spender so they usually invest in one of the extra scrolls so they have some room to play around with it.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Barb (Eagle Totem) was on my list so maybe I'll add Find Familiar to have an animal buddy. Thanks.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Epi Lepi posted:

If I want to be a fancy Elven Swordsman that's not a fighter how is the Kensei? Is it fun? Is it actually any good mechanically?

This got lost in the shitposts but for real I was looking for peoples thoughts on the Kensei. I know generally the question of "fancy swordsmen who's not a fighter" is bard but I'm curious as to other options.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

If I want to be a fancy Elven Swordsman that's not a fighter how is the Kensei? Is it fun? Is it actually any good mechanically?

I have no opinion on Kensei but Bladesinger is literally Fancy Elven Swordsman.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Epi Lepi posted:

This got lost in the shitposts but for real I was looking for peoples thoughts on the Kensei. I know generally the question of "fancy swordsmen who's not a fighter" is bard but I'm curious as to other options.

Kensei is okay. The archetype features are rather uninteresting (your weapon attack damage die go from 1d8 2h a stick to 1d10 2h a longsword, and you get better ranged attacks for a monk with 1d8+1d4 longbow with kensei shot), but it's not like monk is bad if you do a proper stat array.

Bladesinger is very strong, but needs to use Shadow Blade (rather than a magic sword) to truly shine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Epi Lepi posted:

If your GM allows guns you can play the guy from equilibrium.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Splicer posted:

If your GM allows guns you can play the guy from equilibrium.

Clerics are overpowered HEY WAIT A MINUTE

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't like Kensei/Monk as a class mechanically very much, personally. It's not underpowered, it just doesn't strike me as having a lot of cool moments or flashy abilities.

My vote for fancy swordsman is Hexblade Warlock. Cha for attacks (both melee and ranged) and for spellcasting (when you want to) makes the statline really easy, medium armor + shield + defensive spells (Shield, Armor of Agathys, Blur, Darkness) gives solid defensive options that make playing one feel different from other classes, and you still have some offensive punch. Invocations like Silent Image or Disguise Self at will are also very flavorful and surprisingly powerful to make you feel like the swordsman who also has weird powers.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Infinite Karma posted:

I don't like Kensei/Monk as a class mechanically very much, personally. It's not underpowered, it just doesn't strike me as having a lot of cool moments or flashy abilities.

My vote for fancy swordsman is Hexblade Warlock. Cha for attacks (both melee and ranged) and for spellcasting (when you want to) makes the statline really easy, medium armor + shield + defensive spells (Shield, Armor of Agathys, Blur, Darkness) gives solid defensive options that make playing one feel different from other classes, and you still have some offensive punch. Invocations like Silent Image or Disguise Self at will are also very flavorful and surprisingly powerful to make you feel like the swordsman who also has weird powers.
don't be the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo rear end in a top hat though, your party will hate you

But, seconding that Hexblade is wicked (:v:) fun!

e: Actually, on that note: I'm gonna reflavor the 6th level hexblade power, Accursed Specter, because it makes absolutely no sense for my character, who completely abhors undead (its name is fuckin' Wraithbane, ffs). The description starts with:

quote:

Starting at 6th level, you can curse the soul of a person you slay, temporarily binding it in your service. When you slay a humanoid, you can cause its spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter.
I'm fine with keeping the 'summon something that is equivalent to a specter when you kill a humanoid' bit (and so is the DM), but I'm not sure what other alternatives would make sense. My PC is CG and celestial-affiliated, if that helps. Do y'all have any fun ideas?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 21, 2019

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

don't be the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo rear end in a top hat though, your party will hate you

But, seconding that Hexblade is wicked (:v:) fun!

e: Actually, on that note: I'm gonna reflavor the 6th level hexblade power, Accursed Specter, because it makes absolutely no sense for my character, who completely abhors undead (its name is fuckin' Wraithbane, ffs). The description starts with:

I'm fine with keeping the 'summon something that is equivalent to a specter when you kill a humanoid' bit (and so is the DM), but I'm not sure what other alternatives would make sense. My PC is CG and celestial-affiliated, if that helps. Do y'all have any fun ideas?

angels, ghosts of the honored dead willingly helping you out, conjured imprints of the memory of felled opponents, swarms of bees

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Della Reese

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Why not go with summoning a low level Celestial/angel, then? Or a Reaper that sticks around after harvesting the soul.

Kaysette posted:

Della Reese

Definitely this.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Toshimo posted:

I have no opinion on Kensei but Bladesinger is literally Fancy Elven Swordsman.

I’ve seen people talk about bladesinger being pretty good. I thought it looked neat but I not amazing. I see it as a wizard that can defend itself in melee if needed but then again it’s been a while since I’ve looked at the class features.

What makes them good? How should stats be allocated for effectiveness? What kind of AC can they get? What is the effective way to use them? I thought about using them in my campaign as elite troops for the elves in my setting.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Kaysette posted:

Della Reese
lol bless clint mcelroy

Farg posted:

angels, ghosts of the honored dead willingly helping you out, conjured imprints of the memory of felled opponents, swarms of bees

GoGoGadget posted:

Why not go with summoning a low level Celestial/angel, then? Or a Reaper that sticks around after harvesting the soul.
Thanks! I was thinking low-level celestial, but got stuck on how it would make sense that killing someone would do it. Presumably for flavor reasons I'd only activate it after killing a "bad person" (since it's not like this character would murder innocent bystanders) so I guess it could be related to that, like a reward from his celestial pseudo-patron* or something for vanquishing a foe

* the Empyrean who created my PC

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Thanks! I was thinking low-level celestial, but got stuck on how it would make sense that killing someone would do it. Presumably for flavor reasons I'd only activate it after killing a "bad person" (since it's not like this character would murder innocent bystanders) so I guess it could be related to that, like a reward from his celestial pseudo-patron* or something for vanquishing a foe

Maybe the Celestial patron/Hexblade redeems the bad person's spirit, in return for the bad person carrying out a service in its name? And the Hexblade (as in the patron) manifests through the enlisted spirit to help it fight (if you still had the summon be mechanically a Spectre). Or the Patron turns the dead bad guy into that low-level Celestial to start its term of service?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Maybe your blade can coalesce a patronus-like spirit out of the victim's good memories or redemptive potential? It dissipates after your next long rest anyway, so it's not like you'd be holding anything hostage for too long.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nash posted:

I’ve seen people talk about bladesinger being pretty good. I thought it looked neat but I not amazing. I see it as a wizard that can defend itself in melee if needed but then again it’s been a while since I’ve looked at the class features.

What makes them good? How should stats be allocated for effectiveness? What kind of AC can they get? What is the effective way to use them? I thought about using them in my campaign as elite troops for the elves in my setting.

They get to add their int mod to AC and concentration checks, which is kinda nuts. They can do it on top of mage armor for 19 AC at level 2 or whatever if they have 16s in dex and int, and it will get higher as they raise the stat they're gonna raise anyway.

I wouldn't play one as a melee dude, bladesong seems like a nice buff no matter what.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nash posted:

How should stats be allocated for effectiveness?

Int > Dex > Con

Dump the rest.

Nash posted:

What kind of AC can they get?

They start with 13 (Mage Armor) + 3 (Dex) + 3 (Int) = 19, and work their way up to the high 20s. If need be, they can Shield to go up to the low 30s.

Nash posted:

What is the effective way to use them?

They can either be tougher traditional casters, or melee hitters with a bunch of utility.

If you go 8/17/15/16/8/8, you can take Resilient(Con) and Elvish Accuracy (Dex) with your first 2 ASIs and go nuts with swinging your Shadow Blade with triple advantage for scaling d8s of damage.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Conspiratiorist posted:

Kensei is okay. The archetype features are rather uninteresting (your weapon attack damage die go from 1d8 2h a stick to 1d10 2h a longsword, and you get better ranged attacks for a monk with 1d8+1d4 longbow with kensei shot), but it's not like monk is bad if you do a proper stat array.

Bladesinger is very strong, but needs to use Shadow Blade (rather than a magic sword) to truly shine.
Can confirm on Kensei. I choose it more out of flavor than anything else. I'm sure my Kensei Hexblades would be better as just Hexblades but I read too much K6BD.

The key thing for the Kensei is that it lets you cheat what constitutes a monk weapon, and that you can use dexterity instead of strength once you've assigned something as your kensei weapon to get what are essentially RAW long swords with finesse, or for that matter anything else as long as it isn't heavy (awww) and special.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I want to play a great old one warlock of Hadar in a heavy rp game, what can I pick in way of feats or races or whatever else to be more mechanically fun? The invocations for Disguise Self and Silent Image are a no-brainer.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nash posted:

They're good because they're a full mage until they decide they want to be a perfectly good (and tanky) melee combatant. Int>Dex>Con for stats. AC is light armor+Dex+Int when bladesinging, so quite high. The most effect thing for them to do is to play them as a normal mage until you want to conserve spells, then cast Shadow Blade and head into melee.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My current group has finished Phandelver and we're moving on to other things. Originally I'd intended to run Dungeon of the Mad Mage due to them being old school 1e players and I thought a mega dungeon would land well, but my feeling having run Wave Echo Cave is that they actually enjoyed the overland stuff and small dungeons of the earlier chapters more than the Cave which took up a full session of relentless combats.

So, I'm looking at Tomb of Annhilation instead. The Party's level 5 already, am I right in guessing that the party won't be at too high a risk of death in the jungle exploration stuff if they play sensibly, and I only need to get nervous from Omu onwards? They do have two clerics so healing is more available than for your average party.

Also, Omu seems to reference Dwellers of the Forbidden City, which I've never played but my players have (albeit over thirty years ago). Does the similarity actually go any deeper than "is a jungle ruin" and "has some yuan ti"?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Reveilled posted:

My current group has finished Phandelver and we're moving on to other things. Originally I'd intended to run Dungeon of the Mad Mage due to them being old school 1e players and I thought a mega dungeon would land well, but my feeling having run Wave Echo Cave is that they actually enjoyed the overland stuff and small dungeons of the earlier chapters more than the Cave which took up a full session of relentless combats.

So, I'm looking at Tomb of Annhilation instead. The Party's level 5 already, am I right in guessing that the party won't be at too high a risk of death in the jungle exploration stuff if they play sensibly, and I only need to get nervous from Omu onwards? They do have two clerics so healing is more available than for your average party.

Also, Omu seems to reference Dwellers of the Forbidden City, which I've never played but my players have (albeit over thirty years ago). Does the similarity actually go any deeper than "is a jungle ruin" and "has some yuan ti"?

Just make sure if anyone died and was ressurected in lost mines if you're running tomb of annihilation you'll need to think up a reason to handwave why that npc is suddenly withering, else it might feel kind of cheap to that player.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Just make sure if anyone died and was ressurected in lost mines if you're running tomb of annihilation you'll need to think up a reason to handwave why that npc is suddenly withering, else it might feel kind of cheap to that player.

Luckily nobody died, though some got close in the fight with the Flameskull, the secret true boss of Wave Echo Cave. That said, the group stopped one room short of full-clearing the cave, and so we'll be opening the next session with the wraith fight and then conclusions in Phandelver, so I'm considering reworking the wraith so that instead of draining max HP equal to damage taken it takes off some smaller amount like five or six HP so that "why aren't our wounds healing" can be a suitable adventure hook without putting some players down half their HP, along with putting the incomplete Chult map in the wraith's room as the "map to a dungeon of your own design".

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nash posted:

INT > DEX > CON, or DEX > INT > CON

They can be played as either standard Wizards with a very strong AC and Concentration buff (as previously mentioned, they can very easily get up to AC 19 at level 2, and also have Shield available), but XGtE also opened up the option of using Shadow Blade. See, it used to be very iffy for them to actually wield weapons because why? They're Wizards so cast spells instead. But Shadow Blade lets you, as a Bonus Action, create a 2d8+MOD finesse weapon that deals Psychic damage, and gains Advantage to hit targets in Dim Light or Darkness, and on a 3rd level cast the damage goes up to 3d8+MOD. And at level 6 Bladesinger gets Extra Attack, so I don't think I need to say much more.

High Elf, 17 DEX 14 CON 16 INT, Elven Accuracy (DEX) at level 4, at 6 you can go to town.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In our upcoming PHB-only level 3 adventure, we have:

Elf Wizard
Half-orc Fighter
Half-elf Bard
*something* Barbarian
*something* Revised Ranger

I waited till last to figure out what we needed and everyone said "Healing!" Since real healing is a fool's game, I'm now playing a Human Paladin of Kord with PAM, a spear, and shield.

He converts people by yelling "The power of Kord compels you!" while punching them. Every LoH will be a slap in the face with a demand to wake up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Toshimo posted:

Hey! All of you shut the gently caress up for a minute.

We aren't getting anywhere with this as, right or wrong, neither side is budging. This has gone on for several pages and the thread is now a lovely cesspool and nobody is happy.

So, here's the deal. Take that poo poo to the "How do I DM?" thread or the "Terrible Table Stories" thread or somewhere else you can poo poo up, but there is nothing more to be done here.

But, this is the end of that poo poo here. I'm not a mod, but I will just start reporting every post that tried to drag this poo poo on until Ettin probated me or probated you because we are well past the point where adults would have agreed to disagree and the thread can't hardly have substantive discussion elsewise.

We're getting a lot of reports from this thread from a lot of people who are tired of the derail and bullshit. I've already dropped one sixer for someone who decided "sperg" was still something people could make fun of (it's not), and if people continue to poo poo up this thread I'll drop more. Thank you to those who did give us a heads up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You're 4 days too late.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
We can report stuff earlier next time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Please do. I try to check the queue daily but it's not always feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lol bless clint mcelroy

Creatures of strong emotions, empyreans were capable of altering their surroundings according to their moods. The environment around an empyrean physically manifested the empyrean's emotions. [snip] while radiant sunlight, bird song, and playful small animals would manifest around a happy empyrean.

So an explosion of bees and squirrels as a physical and somewhat involuntary representation of your empyrean's approval would be pretty in flavour.