Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Affi posted:

So I just did a legendary run with self imposed ironman. And I juuuust pull myself out of a real tailspin where I just took snipers and rookies on a mission and actually beat it (lost heavy map, psi storm sitrep and I had the order for one shotting lost) because all my good troops were injured only to realise comm stations take forever to build and the next black site is way far away.

My build order was also shot to poo poo obviously because for some reason I was trying to get down to a power coupling instead of building the aforementioned commstation...

Anyway. I have one blip left on the project and one regions I need to contact before a blacksite , resistance comms take 16 days ish.

Doable or restart? How long is the doomsday timer?

(I thought I would have covert ops to help reduce avatar progress :( )

I believe the Doomsday timer starts at... 21 days or so? But if you clear a pip, then it fulls again, it picks up wherever it left off (or at 7 days, whichever is longer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Okay so 21 days plus however long it takes for the next blip is almost doable.

I could get lucky with a new covert ops too. I could also probably kill the warlock in about two months.

Ugh. I should’ve built smarter but I’m so happy with my early mag weaps and power armor..

So resistance comms done in 16-17 days. Doomsday clock has probably started then then 7 days to contact blacksite region. Uhmmmm. So it’s possible. Then one blip down and then I need to build a radio tower and contact two more regions to get to the next one.

It’s going to be hilariously lucky if I make it.

If I need to restart I’ll do a reaper start I guess but what build order should I do?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Is that 16ish days with the Skirmishers speeding building up?

e: this is what I said a billion years ago but I bet it still works

aegof posted:

My building order goes: GTS and Resistance Ring, for the all-important squad size upgrades and steady flow of neat stuff the Ring gets you.
After that, Infirmary, Training Center and Proving Grounds, in whatever order pleases you. Infirmary to keep soldiers fighting, TC to make them better fighters, and PG to get cool gear.
Power and Resistance Comms as necessary, supplementing with Ring and scan site rewards. Try to contact as many regions with blacksites as you can, even if you're not going to blow it up right away.

Put your Shadow Chamber and Psi Lab on exposed power coils if at all possible.

aegof fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 22, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah for legendary i definitely lean toward GTS to start over the Ring as your first build. starting with GTS means you will have the first squad size update before the first Chosen encounter, which imo is really important because if you manage to kill the first Chosen, that is a very clear sign that the snowball has started to roll downhill. if the Chosen retreats or, worse, manages to grab one of your dudes, then you've shown that the game has an ace it can play to stall your forward progress, which is a terrifying prospect on Legend.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

aegof posted:

Is that 16ish days with the Skirmishers speeding building up?

e: this is what I said a billion years ago but I bet it still works

Yeah that’s what I’m doing except I stupidly wanted to put a power relay over a coupling and put a workshop in the middle and I’m just now realising that’s loving dumb because I spent a month not building and only digging.

Right I could scan at the skirmishers too. Might help!

Affi fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 22, 2019

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
XCOM 2 is free this weekend and the dlc is heavily discounted.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/22/xcom-2-free-download/

You too can inflict the horrors of :xcom: on your friends!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

But TFTD isn’t included in the free offer :confused:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BlazetheInferno posted:

I believe the Doomsday timer starts at... 21 days or so? But if you clear a pip, then it fulls again, it picks up wherever it left off (or at 7 days, whichever is longer).

That got changed, I think only replenishes now up to 48 hours? Something tiny, since people kept abusing the longer reset timer by running it down. Not that it matters, in WotC you have infinite anti-AVATAR project options, and can play perpetually.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

A Templar of mine came down with a case of Compulsive Reloader. It would still be a problem if she came down with a second negative trait and prolonged her therapy sessions, but I thought it was funny.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serephina posted:

That got changed, I think only replenishes now up to 48 hours? Something tiny, since people kept abusing the longer reset timer by running it down. Not that it matters, in WotC you have infinite anti-AVATAR project options, and can play perpetually.

Nah it got changed to reset to 7 days. On release it always went to around a month so it was super easy to cheese. It's still easy to cheese, but you can't just rest easy if the avatar project is nearly done now, you have to have a clear plan for reducing it.

I know this because I'm in a playthrough right now and I've let it tick to full like 5 times :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've got my master volume set at half because for whatever reason this game's a lot louder than other stuff on my system. The thing is, when I start the game up the volume is at full until I go back into the options and jiggle the volume slider (don't need to move it much, move it at all and the game says "oh yeah I'm supposed to be at 50%"). Have other people had this issue and is there a fix other than jiggling it every time?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bruceski posted:

I've got my master volume set at half because for whatever reason this game's a lot louder than other stuff on my system. The thing is, when I start the game up the volume is at full until I go back into the options and jiggle the volume slider (don't need to move it much, move it at all and the game says "oh yeah I'm supposed to be at 50%"). Have other people had this issue and is there a fix other than jiggling it every time?

Yeah it's kinda dumb. If you mute the in-game sound the intro splash screens will still be loud as gently caress because it doesn't load the settings until the menu. I eventually gave up and used windows audio mixer/controls to set the level.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I haven't kept up with the thread and didn't know there was new DLC before today, but I was happy to see that the photobooth is as goofy as ever!

This was randomly generated. I love it!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
EW/LW question: has anyone successfully applied mods through UPKUtils on Linux? I've got the software installed, and I've even gotten it to run without errors by manually pointing it at my UPK folder, but none of the mods seem to actually apply. The Linux version of LW works fine and things like cfg file edits are the same, but I am DYING not having the Alien Sightlines and Sight Range mods from my Windows games :(

edit:
Speaking of Windows mods I need ported/hacked to Linux, I just discovered this music mod for EW and LW that lets you dump MP3s into categorized folders and then pulls from them for the game music. Sure, you could fill up the CombatMusic folder with AC/DC like the real Ironman does, but I took the tracks from that OST remix album posted earlier and sprinkled them around instead. Having John Carpenter new retro wave synth rock come in when aliens activate is amaaaaaaaaaaazing :dance:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 28, 2019

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I picked up WOTC (and Resistance Warrior Pack) during the sale and I can't believe I've slept on the expansion for so long. I love it so much. I love the new units and making goofy photos. I love modding in clothing stuff, to the point where sometimes a session will be an hour of making stuff for the character pool. I have to pick up the not-on-sale thing at some point, too. I killed the Assassin last night (in retrospect I put off the resistance ring way too long so it got dangerously close to a full bar for her).

Is there an updated music mod or will the old one work fine? I was having some difficulty with it, but frankly I think I just made a mistake with loading the mods at the start instead of doing an initial vanilla session.

Also can I take new friendship photos?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 31, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mikedawson posted:

I picked up WOTC (and Resistance Warrior Pack) during the sale and I can't believe I've slept on the expansion for so long. I love it so much. I love the new units and making goofy photos. I love modding in clothing stuff, to the point where sometimes a session will be an hour of making stuff for the character pool. I have to pick up the not-on-sale thing at some point, too. I killed the Assassin last night (in retrospect I put off the resistance ring way too long so it got dangerously close to a full bar for her).

Is there an updated music mod or will the old one work fine? I was having some difficulty with it, but frankly I think I just made a mistake with loading the mods at the start instead of doing an initial vanilla session.

Also can I take new friendship photos?

You can go into the photo booth at any time

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Another, not-too-big-a-deal mistake I made was upgrading the resistance ring twice, not because they're bad upgrades, but because I mistook "multiple orders" for "have multiple covert ops missions running at the same time".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IMO that's not really a mistake at all if you have good orders to pick from, since some of the Resistance orders are real game-changers, but yeah allocating so many supplies/so much power to it isn't usually a great idea early on unless you've got a really busted combination of order cards on hand.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mikedawson posted:

Another, not-too-big-a-deal mistake I made was upgrading the resistance ring twice, not because they're bad upgrades, but because I mistook "multiple orders" for "have multiple covert ops missions running at the same time".

There is a mod that lets you run multiple ops at once.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Multiple ops feels like it’d be very overpowered unless the rewards are busted down to compensate.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
So, I haven't touched XCOM2 since beating it on release, but I have all the DLC and Beaglerush's new campaign is making me interested again. I like a lot of the stuff that all the DLC added, but I'm a little reluctant to play it unmodded since 1) the Grenadier never got nerfed or split into two separate classes based around the grenade launcher and minigun respectively, 2) Psi trooper progression doesn't gel much with how the rest of the classes work, 3) the game difficulty is still based off of an assumption that all of your front-line soldiers are constantly there from the beginning, with ties into 4) soldier progressions are back-ended in their power levels, making losses highly punitive or new soldiers always second-string, and lastly, 5) the new resistance faction classes kind of seem too exclusionary or fancy in how they work compared to regular soldiers.

I really like the concepts behind Beagle's Operator class and the other things he's trying out*, but I know that it's all still very experimental and a lot of it's based around a "real-life SpecOps" aesthetic. Are there any mods out there that fix those specific issues I brought up above while keeping a little of the original game's style, or should I first just play unmodded WOTC?

*(One idea on how to improve the Operator class is to not just have innate abilities on each weapons, but have other more powerful or unbalanced late-game abilities unlocked from equipping scavenged weapon mods under a revised system, which I think is still doable in-game. Also, I can't find mods that straight up de-special-ize the other resistance factions into semi-normal soldiers and/or unlocks stuff like the faction-specific weapons and armor or TLC weapons for everyone, dammit!)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i too am jumping back into xcom2 because of beaglerush. anyone know a of a mod that automatically assigns cosmetic sets to certain armor tiers? i like the odst armor mod but i'd rather not have to set it on every soldier manually once i get predator armor.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Spiderfist Island posted:

So, I haven't touched XCOM2 since beating it on release, but I have all the DLC and Beaglerush's new campaign is making me interested again. I like a lot of the stuff that all the DLC added, but I'm a little reluctant to play it unmodded since 1) the Grenadier never got nerfed or split into two separate classes based around the grenade launcher and minigun respectively, 2) Psi trooper progression doesn't gel much with how the rest of the classes work, 3) the game difficulty is still based off of an assumption that all of your front-line soldiers are constantly there from the beginning, with ties into 4) soldier progressions are back-ended in their power levels, making losses highly punitive or new soldiers always second-string, and lastly, 5) the new resistance faction classes kind of seem too exclusionary or fancy in how they work compared to regular soldiers.

I really like the concepts behind Beagle's Operator class and the other things he's trying out*, but I know that it's all still very experimental and a lot of it's based around a "real-life SpecOps" aesthetic. Are there any mods out there that fix those specific issues I brought up above while keeping a little of the original game's style, or should I first just play unmodded WOTC?

*(One idea on how to improve the Operator class is to not just have innate abilities on each weapons, but have other more powerful or unbalanced late-game abilities unlocked from equipping scavenged weapon mods under a revised system, which I think is still doable in-game. Also, I can't find mods that straight up de-special-ize the other resistance factions into semi-normal soldiers and/or unlocks stuff like the faction-specific weapons and armor or TLC weapons for everyone, dammit!)

1. That is a very strange thing to be concerned about. I've never really felt that Grenadiers had overpowered duality, and certainly in WotC the spotlight is definitely not on them.
2. WotC + all DLCs introduce a lot of opportunity cost and parallel advancement trees. There are a lot of routes you can go in terms of spending supplies, with PSI being its own branch. In base game, you eventually got PSI 'because why not', but faster PSI now comes with a very severe cost of not being able to play with your other toys in time. This ties into point #1 above, the spotlight is elsewhere. You can still make them, but they're no longer OP as other units can now mimic their 'get all skills' shtick. Not to mention the fatigue mechanic really punishes leaning on one or two super-troopers.
3+4. WotC almost enforces a much wider roster, generally two 'main' teams with surplus for injuries. This helps address the power snowball.
5. They really, really, really aren't exclusionary. Reapers and Skirmishers are explicitly team players, and Templars are at their strongest just 'Sword Rangers who are doing it Right'.

Going from base game to WotC + all DLCs is a HUGE step up, they improved and added so many things. I'd stay away from any gameplay mods at all for the first run and just use quality of life stuff like GotchaAgain and numerical hp bars etc. You're really overthinking this, it's good content, just play it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

psi is really the stopgap when you get deep into the fatigue system. They’re there to fill in the gaps when you can’t bring your A or B team due to injuries or tiredness. They keep cooking and hopefully have a good set that makes up for whatever you’re missing. At least that’s how I see them. They’re not as good as everyone else but they do their part and if you equip them right they’re pretty drat useful. Just not as useful as the main classes.

Grenadiers are my least favorite class since most of their utility can be achieved by everyone. But I think a lot of that is the AIs inherent sense of spacing so once they scatter unless you’re specced for it their guaranteed damage isn’t super useful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Serephina posted:

Going from base game to WotC + all DLCs is a HUGE step up, they improved and added so many things. I'd stay away from any gameplay mods at all for the first run and just use quality of life stuff like GotchaAgain and numerical hp bars etc. You're really overthinking this, it's good content, just play it.

WOTC with DLCs is so full I'm thinking of doing another game specifically beelining for things I didn't use last time. And leaving the Chosen alive, the game gets really boring when they're gone and you have this massive arsenal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Psi Operatives are absolutely ratfuck insane in WotC, largely because of Solace, Inspire, and their access to guaranteed damage on a cooldown. Keep them simmering in the training cells and then pull 'em out whenever you're expecting to encounter a Chosen (particularly for Retaliation missions). The Warlock especially is a complete punching bag if you have someone with Solace on the team.

They're not Reaper-level busted, but they are a straight up hard counter to many of the Chosen's nastier tricks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Relatively speaking, I feel they're less OP than they where in the base game. Everyone else got such huge boosts that a fully loaded psi trooper is merely 'great' instead of 'bonkers'.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

Relatively speaking, I feel they're less OP than they where in the base game. Everyone else got such huge boosts that a fully loaded psi trooper is merely 'great' instead of 'bonkers'.

I'll completely agree with this, but what I'm getting at is that they're consistently "merely great" and then become absolutely nuts (assuming they have Solace) once a Chosen comes into play. Also, Inspire is just as insane as it always was - being able to give extra actions to your best soldier multiple times per mission is ridiculously good (which is another reason I think Skirmishers are slightly undervalued - they get their own Inspire equivalent and it owns).

I actually think Psi Operatives are in a good place, balance-/cost-wise, now - they're powerful specialist units that you have to actively go for, but that are worth the investment if you have a reason to go for them in the first place. I usually leave them until later, but if you run into an exceptionally lovely Chosen (I've got a teleporting Warlock with regeneration and kinetic shielding) they're worth rushing early because, as I said before, they can be a hard counter to some of the nastier tricks. Also, using Inspire on the faction hero the Chosen is weak to lets you alpha-strike pretty hard!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 2, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, not gonna argue that they're unquestionably good. I just have made a point to never even MAKE the psi chamber in my past few games; every since doing my 'Who Needs Tygan' run I just am so farking sick of seeing them that the game's a pleasure using the other [four plus bots plus heroes is..] eight classes. Nah gently caress 'em, psi is overplayed and I'll just use the fun guys instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While it’s fun to watch I normally never want to touch the mod sets beagle plays with myself, but the current set of XCOM 2 mods he’s using looks really fun. I’ll definitely make some personal tweaks to it if I use it myself though (lol at lost swarms dropping a solid 6x6 box of lost somewhere that fans out and slaps all the advent to death)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I almost wish you needed a Psilab to finish the game, something like needing to focus the portal before you pop through to fight the end boss.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
these chosen guys sure are dicks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I feel like no one ever mentions how good Stasis is. The ability to shutdown a Sectopod or Gatekeeper or even one of the chosen for an entire turn while your squad mops up the rest of them is so incredibly useful

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

these chosen guys sure are dicks

I dunno the hunter seems like a pretty cool guy

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I feel like no one ever mentions how good Stasis is. The ability to shutdown a Sectopod or Gatekeeper or even one of the chosen for an entire turn while your squad mops up the rest of them is so incredibly useful

Yeah, that's a real useful power too. I mostly talk about Solace and Inspire because they can be hilariously massive force multipliers, but the entire arsenal of Psi Operative powers is just really useful and versatile as a whole. Dominate is probably my favourite, just because of how funny and satisfying it is to be able to make a Berserker turn around and punch the poo poo out of its own pod.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stasis is pound for pound the best ability in the game, imho.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I try not to use domination because it feels a bit too much. At least hacking wears off.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

It's me. I'm the one dominating the andromedon and then hacking its shell once it dies.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Figured I should post some photos. God bless the photo pose mod.

I want to screw around with more of these, maybe make some PSA style posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ok bottom text got me