Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7z2QhfTte8

The box art for Yakuza 5 Remastered is the same as the original's but only it's in color now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh and in further Yakuza news

Sega confirmed that Shin Yakuza is a PlayStation 4 game, and they're looking for a woman to be Kasuga Ichiban's partner in it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

I Before E posted:

They should just replace Taki's model with Tanahashi

i mean the taki's model looked like a scumbag, so i think minoru suzuki would be a better choice

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mikeycp posted:

i mean the taki's model looked like a scumbag, so i think minoru suzuki would be a better choice

I don't remember there being a Suzuki model but I wouldn't mind them putting him in there

Also gently caress yes the best yakuza game is coming to ps4

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, so I'm supposed to play that sort of crap Yakuza Online to know who this guy's deal is for 7?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait do you fight a loving bear in Y5? :stare:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crabtree posted:

Wait, so I'm supposed to play that sort of crap Yakuza Online to know who this guy's deal is for 7?

Probably not. I can't imagine that Shin won't gloss over it at the very least.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

You fight bears in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, maybe 5 came first

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot about that one Colosseum opponent in 0.

I don't recall the same thing in Kiwami though?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe I’m remembering wrong about it being in K.

0 was such an amazing experience. Nobody warned me about most of the stuff that happens in it, so not only did I not know there was a coliseum, I had no idea what kinds of kooks were gonna be in it, so when he showed up I was like sure ok

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd heard Yakuza was a tremendously entertaining series, really funny and cool but I had no idea of any of the greater details.

Playing 0 for the first time was like being one of those 2001: A Space Odyssey monkeys seeing the Monolith and figuring out how to make use of tools.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

I Before E posted:

I don't remember there being a Suzuki model but I wouldn't mind them putting him in there

there isn't one. i just didn't realize what you were saying.

i thought you just wanted tana because well...why wouldn't you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yak 0 was my first game of the series and I went in blind except for knowing about nugget

it was exquisite

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

numerrik posted:

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1107721286241837056

Sega is doing another survey if you want to let them know you don’t care about some rando’s coke problem and just want to play Judgement.

Yanki only and lol at that first question

Jerusalem posted:

Multiple times, yeah. Also get to shoot some.

Man, I would really like a sorta, survival lite game using Yakuza engine. Beachcombing, actually needing fish to eat, punching trees for fruit, maybe beating up some deer or something while the island illuminati plots to steal a Japanese princess with the help of a Yakuza clan or something equally idiotic to be revealed in the last third

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Jerusalem posted:

You fight one particular one multiple times, and can shoot as many as it takes to fill the void in your soul in hunting mode, too!

And they need to change out every yakuza in Judgment with Los Ingobernables.

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 20, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You can fight a second bear as well in that random-rear end substory, not that there is any real mechanical difference (nor mechanical differences in how to approach ANYONE playing as Saejima, to be honest).

God I thought about Saejima substories and remembered pratfall ramen and got myself mad again. My completionist tendancies make me hate that one so much.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
none of the substories in 5 are hard cept for the amon one, the hell you were you smoking.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's more that you get one chance to do that one, though Y5 (like the other Yakuza games) doesn't really make any distinction between failed/passed sidequests except the quality of the reward you get iirc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
choosing the funniest options for the worst rewards is the right way to do side stories.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's more that you get one chance to do that one, though Y5 (like the other Yakuza games) doesn't really make any distinction between failed/passed sidequests except the quality of the reward you get iirc

Its this plus you auto accept it if you walk near the chef, and I almost always immediately blunder into the first sliding salaryman, then realize I haven't saved since chapter start.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I got to Chapter 8 in Kiwami 1. For starters, what's the best way to go about getting to and staying at critical health? I've a few moves for that status that I wanna try, but I just fear eating poo poo from a botch.

And then secondly, can I just go back to Purgatory after the gangs attack it? Majima's active and I ain't waiting until Chapter 10 to keep grinding for Tiger Drop. Even if the max attack speed whenever in Dragon mode is hella tasty right about now.

And finally, what Time move is the one to beeline for? Yinglong's too far, so it's just Godspeed, Destruction, and Resolve.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i'd grind for tiger drop right now. pretty sure you can still go back at this point.

if i recall, its faster if you do the knock out arena one, you can learn to push the dudes out quickly by beelining to the wall and breaking it first with fast style and having them "fall" into it while they try and swing a weapon at you and you rack up the points because of a fast win.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yak 0 was my first game of the series and I went in blind except for knowing about nugget

it was exquisite

"I had a chicken once."

--Kazuma Kiryu

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Redoing the training in New Game+ is hilarious.

"Can you beat this man?"
instantly KO him with Tiger Drop
"Prodigious. I will now teach you... Tiger Drop!"

Edit: I finished Kiwami. There is no new Yakuza for me until Kiwami 2 releases on Steam. :negative:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 21, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: I finished Kiwami. There is no new Yakuza for me until Kiwami 2 releases on Steam. :negative:

You could play 4+5 on PS Now...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still have 4 and 5 from when they were PS+ games, but I let my subscription run out long ago and I keep pondering if it's gonna be cheaper to get discs or 3 months of Plus or Now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still have 4 and 5 from when they were PS+ games, but I let my subscription run out long ago and I keep pondering if it's gonna be cheaper to get discs or 3 months of Plus or Now.

Well 5's not available on disc (at least not in English) which helps narrow your choices down. :v: Could be best to outright re-buy them digitally so you own them for good, if you don't want to wait for the PS4 Remasters. Also 4 is one of those games where the disc and digital don't register the same save files, so if you've already played it some either digitally or via PS Now you'll need to get it digitally unless you restart.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have played the entire first chapter of 4 but that was so long ago I'm gonna restart for sure. Barely remember any of it. I did remember Saejima's introduction scene when it came up in 0 and was like, whoa, that was Majima.

Never knew that about 5, that's kinda crazy. Well I've got 3 to finish now, I'll do that first and maybe something comes up regarding the remasters in the meantime.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have played the entire first chapter of 4 but that was so long ago I'm gonna restart for sure. Barely remember any of it. I did remember Saejima's introduction scene when it came up in 0 and was like, whoa, that was Majima.

Never knew that about 5, that's kinda crazy. Well I've got 3 to finish now, I'll do that first and maybe something comes up regarding the remasters in the meantime.

5 only got a western release because it was the most requested title when Sony had a twitter campaign asking which games westerners wanted localized. SEGA had previously announced that there would never be another Yakuza game brought over due to their boneheaded decision to localize Dead Souls expecting it to sell better than 4.

It took Sony over a year to convince SEGA to let them localize and release it in North America, and SEGA was only willing to allow a digital release. It became the record holder for most digital PS3 preorders, and helped Atlus USA convince SEGA Japan to allow them to localize the PS4 games after the Atlus/SEGA merger and Atlus USA becoming SEGA USA and replacing the incompetent SEGA of America.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

julian assflange posted:

5 is probably where Kiryu peaks it’s insane how strong you get in that game

This is from a couple of pages ago, but I'd say endgame Kiwami 2 is pretty equitable: between Limit Breaking Attack all the way up to 300 and Extreme Heat Mode making you functionally invincible and unstoppable, I stopped engaging with any boss mechanics at that point and just punch rushed all of them in less than 30 seconds apiece

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Y4 is the one where Kiryu "seems" the most powerful, when you walk back into town in his chapter you just know that you're about to wreck poo poo. Not to mention the boss fight where you beat two of the game's other protagonists at the same time

That said, I love that they more or less canonically state that the only match for him is Saejima, who he fights twice in the series, ending in a draw both times. Majima is your rival but Saejima is the one guy who actually matches you, at least in strength.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Kiryu only gets stronger as he ages.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The one thing I liked the most about Y5's endgame was the villain talking about how he hated the stupid mythological machismo honor bullshit that all the Yakuza characters do and then everything that follows that is virtually all stupid mythological machismo honor bullshit with him getting extremely mad in the background

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 21, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Meallan posted:

Kiryu only gets stronger as he ages.

Old oji-san strength

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

univbee posted:

You could play 4+5 on PS Now...

Don't have it where I live :shrug:

The remasters and PC releases will come eventually, if those cowards at Sega would just get onto announcing the release dates already :mad:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Perfectly edited

https://twitter.com/Hiydrostorm/status/1108130115433758720

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

in 4 it takes like 10 seconds to turn Kiryu back into a monster after a long layoff, just goes to show just how strong he is

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
The new yakuza man is dressed in miles edgeworth clothes

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Aaaaand that's Majima Everywhere done, gently caress me the Tiger Drop expedites the gently caress out of it.

At least I got the famous QTE and the original music in the final fight. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/rggstudio/status/1109077293207416832?s=21

Sounds like Pierre Taki’s being replaced but it won’t impact the Western release date.