Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The LibDems only have a firm issue on the EU until they can trade it for a 5p tax on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

A home office minister in the house right now is urging MPs to use the hashtag #knifefree.

covefeferee

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Graun live quoting Peston:

He's goddamn right

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

A home office minister in the house right now is urging MPs to use the hashtag #knifefree.
Ah, finally, the solution to knife crime.

Or is this a pledge to stop stabbing each other in the back?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

hi i'm here for my free knife

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, finally, the solution to knife crime.

Or is this a pledge to stop stabbing each other in the back?

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a knife is a good guy with a knife

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pistol_Pete posted:

Perhaps this will be the crisis that finally breaks our antiquated, adversarial two-party system?

hi! interesting question. however once you read some more thinkpieces I think you will find that systems are never responsible for anything, and it is all the fault of individuals. Primarily Jeremy Corbyn. look at his stupid little face. No, once he goes we can all get back to normal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

moostaffa posted:

I dunno, a good guy with a stick longer than arm's length works pretty well too.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
excited for MV3 through to MV9

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1109078676946251776?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I dunno, a good guy with a stick longer than arm's length works pretty well too.

What if the stick had a knife on the end of it? #phillipofmacedon #sarissa #bringbackthephalanx #16footistheoptimallengthforapike

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

moostaffa posted:

Someone post the That's Not A Knife, This Is A Knife clip

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Flayer posted:

Most voters being Lab and Con is a symptom of FPTP, not the voters fault. The smaller parties also have a lot more leeway to decisively come down on an issue because they won't ever be in power and don't have to appeal to such a broad base - another issue with FPTP.

Just to note this doesn't apply to the SNP, as they are in government in Scotland and, awkwardly, sort of consider that their main base. Next elections are 2022 and the Yes / No balance of that Parliament remains on a knife edge, should they try and just hold on through the madness until '22

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What if the stick had a knife on the end of it? #phillipofmacedon #sarissa #bringbackthephalanx #16footistheoptimallengthforapike
I'm committed to ending halberd crime on our streets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing that can beat a pike is a longer pike.

Which is why we need to develop the strategic pike, a pike that can reach all the way to france and poke macron in the bum.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

OwlFancier posted:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Barry Foster posted:

He's goddamn right

He's NOT goddamn right, because he's doing what the legacy media has been doing from the start - pinning this on every MP and politician as if they have failed to get their heads together and SORT IT AAAAAAAAHT, instead of what the actual problem is which is solely the failing of a Tory Prime Minister who has refused to allow anyone else to be part of the process and a Tory party who refuse to take power away from her.

If parliament can take control of the situation away from Theresa May, there is probably a parliamentary majority for a Brexit softer than the current one. But this depends entirely on the Tory party being willing to give up what they currently have.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

On that petition: nothing will come of it because lol, but honestly at this stage an A50 revocation and effective cancelling of Brexit would just feel anticlimactic

You really want the anticlimactic option; All other alternatives will climax in suffering,

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing that can beat a pike is a longer pike.
Now we're into the realms of developing bigger shield territory, the Romans made Hoplites obsolete after all.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

how would this even work actually

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Whats the point of stabbing the sky? dragons?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nuclear Spoon posted:

how would this even work actually
Why are you even considering that it will work

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

May's deal modified for a customs union would not be the worst thing. It might be the third worst thing, after her deal without a CU and No Deal, but it's a step towards Norway+.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whats the point of stabbing the sky? dragons?

Partly as an arrow shield, and partly because it's a lot easier to hold a sixteen-foot sarissa mostly upright, if you're in a middle rank that can't reach the target. Guy in front of you dies, you take a step forward and bring it down. This is fantastic until you meet an enemy with technological innovations like 'flanking'

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Does it matter what the Government allows MPs to vote on if Bercow can just tell them (the Government) to gently caress off and they'll vote on what he says they can?

(genuine question, I may be overestimating the Speakers role in voting)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

MikeCrotch posted:

He's NOT goddamn right, because he's doing what the legacy media has been doing from the start - pinning this on every MP and politician as if they have failed to get their heads together and SORT IT AAAAAAAAHT, instead of what the actual problem is which is solely the failing of a Tory Prime Minister who has refused to allow anyone else to be part of the process and a Tory party who refuse to take power away from her.

If parliament can take control of the situation away from Theresa May, there is probably a parliamentary majority for a Brexit softer than the current one. But this depends entirely on the Tory party being willing to give up what they currently have.

this is accurate imo

parliament has done its best with what they have available, the problem is the atrocious failure of leadership from the part of the government

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obliterati posted:

Partly as an arrow shield, and partly because it's a lot easier to hold a sixteen-foot sarissa mostly upright, if you're in a middle rank that can't reach the target. Guy in front of you dies, you take a step forward and bring it down. This is fantastic until you meet an enemy with technological innovations like 'flanking'

Being fair it's quite hard to flank people when you are also a giant square of men with sixteen foot pikes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Someone in here said that he's pretty iffy about race when he comments on the subject.

Always nice to get a quick milkshake duck before I look at any more of his work.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

OwlFancier posted:

Being fair it's quite hard to flank people when you are also a giant square of men with sixteen foot pikes.

Don't get me wrong mate I love me a Macedonian phalanx, I'm just not standing on either edge

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1109077848210456576

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh number 10's in panic mode? nice of them to join us

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1109078337018888192

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

may's attempt at pinning this whole miserable process on parliament must be categorically refuted at every turn by anyone who's not a bug-eyed nationalist

it is dangerously antidemocratic argumentation in a situation where parliament has actually done a pretty good job of voicing reasonable concerns

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Tesseraction posted:

Macron found shot in the Elysee

:prepop:

My reaction when I'm threatened

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obliterati posted:

Don't get me wrong mate I love me a Macedonian phalanx, I'm just not standing on either edge

If rome 2 total war taught me anything it's that the macedonians would have done a lot better if they just made them 3 ranks deep, as wide as possible, and put them in a huge line across the battlefield so you can't go round them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
7 votes sound really fun, but why on earth would the government start caring about what parliament wants now of all times. is it genuinely a new idea that has only just occurred to them that they might need to think about it

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Looking forward to seven No votes in a row.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Tesseraction posted:

oh number 10's in panic mode? nice of them to join us

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1109078337018888192

My read is that May's whole idea was to run all the way up to the deadline, with just no deal/her deal/revocation on offer. The pressure to crash out would force MPs to vote through her deal.

And then the EU just... moved the deadline. And it's all gone to bits.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Obliterati posted:

presumably in an ideal world you have some form of irregulars screening the flanks of your massive, unwieldy block of men with long pointy sticks

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Wachter posted:

hi i'm here for my free knife

who's back and what party do you represent

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

OwlFancier posted:

If rome 2 total war taught me anything it's that the macedonians would have done a lot better if they just made them 3 ranks deep, as wide as possible, and put them in a huge line across the battlefield so you can't go round them.

I feel like this is the hard counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

GC_ChrisReeves posted:

Looking forward to seven No votes in a row.

Probably, but the number of Ayes is going to differ and that'll reveal the ordering we should've discovered two loving years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if some combo of CU/single market/FTA made it over the line mind you. I expect May's deal to be bottom of the pile, followed by no deal, followed by second ref.