Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's that a pothole protest?

That's what I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What's the consensus on 6th gen Accord Coupé V6's? They are pretty cool.

VVV: Still though, aren't the auto's pretty much the only weakness in that era Hondas?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 21, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Get it cheap enough that a transmission replacement doesn't make it a bad deal. They eat miles like nobody's business, and aren't too bad at gas. I like them a lot.

E: I was thinking of seventh gen, ignore me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA THS LOOKS AWESOME

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA THS LOOKS AWESOME

poo poo yes, the Matrix reference at 1:15 is choice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Text ALLPRO to 656938 $50 off $250 Lowe’s coupon if anyone needs it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Javid posted:

Too bad he's running against Bernie, lol.

It may or may not be legitimate, but any seller who thinks it's remotely acceptable to attempt to sell a used car, much less a HOUSE, under those conditions, is most likely a piece of poo poo I want nothing to do with ever.

I'd be curious as to what's actually going on there. My first thoughts are either squatters or a title dispute.

I would not buy into either of these in a million years.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, there's no answer to that question that isn't a massive red flag. The tenants are, best case, oblivious to the fact that their house is being sold out from under them. Worse case, they're hostile, and if you buy it that is now your problem.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the other hand, if it's in Detroit, the house is $500, so maybe it's worth the risk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I hung an old cheap T8 2 tube shop light in the garage awhile back, and used a cheater socket to plug it into the ceiling lamp socket. Not only was it too far toward the middle of the garage, but it just.... isn't that bright. It seemed a lot brighter in my old place, but it was only lighting a 4x12 laundry room.

Enter the :20bux: contender.

Cheater socket has 2 outlets. Yeah, they're not grounded with it, (a) but I'm not gonna be touching the fixtures and (b) I don't think it's nearly as much of a concern with an LED fixture. They're switched via the existing wall switch, since they're both plugged into the old school porcelain ceiling socket. I'd love to replace it with a socket with an integrated (3 pin) outlet, but it turns out all of the lighting for all 5 garages is on one circuit - and I have no way to kill the power that feeds through, so I"d be working on a live circuit. Nope, I'll stick with cheater sockets.

It's 3200 lumens, which in theory, should be a little brighter than a single T8 32 watt tube (existing shop light is 2 x 32w T8), but it seems like it just throws a shitload more usable light. Probably because it's actually firing all of those photons down, instead of in a 360 degree arc. Also because it's actually toward the front and high up, instead of hanging off of the garage door opener mount. Yes, I'll zip tie the cords a bit higher up, but I'm shorter than most guys I know (5'7ish), I can barely touch the cord for the new lamp.

Combined, these should be pulling about, if not less, than the 100 watt bulb that was in there before, and the place is new enough that everything is on 20 amp circuits (I THINK lighting is mixed with the door openers, with the wall sockets on a different breaker, again shared with all 5 garages - not 100% on that, but GF has been running a full size fridge out there for nearly a year without tripping anything). Probably gonna get 1 or 2 more of these lights and hang them along the sides of the door - I have a shelving unit on the right side that holds all my tools (also going to mount some pegboard next week, I'd love to eliminate the shelving unit or repurpose it for other commonly used things). NOT the shelving unit visible, that's some of GF's poo poo that she refuses to move to storage. :argh: And frankly it'd just be nice to have a shitload of light in there anyway. God knows I spend enough time out there wrenching on my pile of poo poo.

e: anyone in Austin want a really lovely armoire or an old Laz-y-boy from the 80s (in excellent shape)? Both are in the garage (armoire obviously visible, recliner sitting in front of the fridge buried under other poo poo), both need to be dealt with. Free if you can haul either of them away. :kimchi:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 22, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why is the President so angry at a dead guy?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

nm posted:

The only manual rental car I ever got was a Toyota Corolla in New Zealand, so I'm jealous.

Everyone knows that’s the fastest car in the world.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

That's a nice looking light, I bought some high-watt LED floods to light my garage horrible wet shack, and I likely would have gone with those units if I had seen that post. Grounding is Good, but you're adapting to an apartment, whatever you can hack in to the existing architecture and keep your security deposit with is the Name of the Game.

I walked 5 miles in the ridiculous pouring rain to get curried goat from a legit Jamaican restaurant in DC last night (I'm visiting for work) it was soooooo loving worth it, the Caribbean food around here is the best I've ever had, simply amazing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Because he's got brain worms

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Because he got snubbed by the head of the good old boys club and nobody snubs Donald J. Trump and dies to tell about it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

STR posted:

Enter the :20bux: contender.

Cheater socket has 2 outlets. Yeah, they're not grounded with it, (a) but I'm not gonna be touching the fixtures and (b) I don't think it's nearly as much of a concern with an LED fixture.

Not sure exactly what a "Polycarbonate construction in natural aluminum finish" means exactly, but if any part of the housing is metal it needs to be grounded. The light source really doesn't mean anything with regard to the equipment grounding conductor. If a connection inside comes loose and is touching the housing, it's just gonna sit there hot, because the ground is now open. There's no fault current path for the breaker to trip. Not a great situation in a wet exterior garage location.

If you want to use the cheater plug, you should really find a light with a plastic housing and a 2 prong power cord.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

Because people actually liked McCain.

Not even Trump's own family actually likes him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Not even Trump's own family actually likes him.

At this point I'm not sure what the bigger grift is - the cheeto, or everyone around him using his ineptitude to their own advantage.

It's academic, really, since the rest of us are hosed either way.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I would like to light my workshop with LEDs but PO left a whole other fluorescent fixture I’ve not gotten around to mounting in 10 years and like a 20 year supply of replacement fluorescent tubes. I really hope to make some good progress this spring and summer now that I’m not drinking, plus I am about to have 4 cars at the house again I got work to do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I have 4 x 4’ T8 fixtures, and an 8’ T12 fixture in my garage. The T8s are nice ones from when Lowe’s put a bunch on clearance, and replaced Home Depot $7 T12 fixtures that had the worlds cheapest “ballast” possible, and would barely light if the temp got below, say 50F. I bought a box of T8 tubes for cheap from the Habitat For Humanity ReStore, so I’ll keep using those until they run out and then switch to LED replacements. Either tubes or entire fixtures, whichever is cheaper. Ditto on the 8-footer. So far, it’s been on the same two tubes for over a decade!
I did repurpose two of the T12 fixtures for my shed, and another two I converted to direct wire LED (which is why I know how the ballast, if it could even be called that, was wired) and screwed them to the back of my garage door so I have light under the door when it is open. Works great!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tremek posted:

poo poo yes, the Matrix reference at 1:15 is choice.

I was waiting for him to do it in the two previous films...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just in case you all thought about being productive today:

http://traffic-simulation.de/offramp.html

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a pretty cool find.

I was thinking about being productive today, but the machine I'm loading now full of automotive software is a tablet ruggedized beast from 2004 that is powered by a Pentium 3-866 with 512mb of ram with a 20GB ide drive. I started installing Win XP tablet edition 20-30 minutes ago and it's still not even to the point where I can wipe the drive and install a fresh copy, all the while the usb cd drive is making a poo poo ton of noise like it's the little engine that could screaming I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN... Presumably the usb on this thing is 1.0/1.1, definitely not 2.0 since the only thing the chipset (830m) specs has to say about USB is "supported."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I have 4x 4' 34W T8 fluorescent fixtures in our basement murder room and recently popped out the bulbs to replace with some LEDs ... and only one of each pair will light when the LEDs are in.

It's still really loving bright with only two tubes, so I left it. I have no idea why it's doing it, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Popped one breaker today, did not see that I had two switches making contact when I flipped the breaker.

Wiring sucks, I'm nearly finished but these 3 and 4 way toggles are driving me crazy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Popped one breaker today, did not see that I had two switches making contact when I flipped the breaker.

Wiring sucks, I'm nearly finished but these 3 and 4 way toggles are driving me crazy.

I like to consider myself fairly not-dumb, but 3 and 4 way switches make me feel like an idiot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just hire electricians now after a bad experience with electricity when i almost killed myself :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All I'm doing is swapping amond for white. But yeah, having one light controlled by 3 switches and I put in the correct switches and now two work and one doesn't. UGH.

And downstairs I can't sort out either 3 way despite swapping wire for wire to the new switches. Didn't help that the updated stuff has the posts in different places than the 35 year old stuff. Probably gonna call an electrician to do this room if I can't sort it out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Remember to touch the wires with the back of your hand.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

All I'm doing is swapping amond for white. But yeah, having one light controlled by 3 switches and I put in the correct switches and now two work and one doesn't. UGH.

And downstairs I can't sort out either 3 way despite swapping wire for wire to the new switches. Didn't help that the updated stuff has the posts in different places than the 35 year old stuff. Probably gonna call an electrician to do this room if I can't sort it out.

I have a similar clusterfuck in my upstairs hallway (5 goddamn total switches controlling two ceiling-mounted hallway lights) and I simplified by bypassing 4 of the 5 switches and installing a Lutron Caseta dimmer as the actual switch, and using remotes mounted in the wall that look and function like switches, but aren't connected to anything behind the wall plate - for the rest. More expensive yes but it's also a smart switch and now I don't have to deal with sorting out the rest of the insane wiring.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've gone to using remotes for ceiling fans and it has made it so much easier

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys were supposed to say I was dumb for not knowing how to do this, not make me feel better.

I'm so confused.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

3 way switches are the worst. Of all the things I do without problem, those motherfuckers get me every time.

:siren: I'm back from Hawaii and have some Turo thoughts, but first I need some info on a project. My brother just bought a house that has a NetStreams interconnected streaming/automation system. BUT... it's a mess. From the seller, it was never fully setup. It has a couple in-wall touch screens, about a dozen 1-gang speakers in-wall, a couple in-wall amplifiers, a couple main power amps and a media box.

I don't know if it has all the parts to make it work, and it looks like the overarching software may be dealer-only. So I'm struggling with how to get it fully functional (should be able to stream music throughout the house / use it as an intercom, at least).

Any ideas on where to start, or what subforum here may have some info?

Edit: Just posted a thread in Haus of Tech Support, hopefully someone knows about this system.

Edit2: Turo is interesting. I was in Waikiki, where the cost of a bare-bones econobox was over $120/day after taxes and fees (PLUS you needed a place to park, my hotel charged $40/day for a parking space). Instead, I rented a 2012 Camaro SS Convertible that was pretty loaded (head-up, Boston sound, etc) for $71.50/day bottom line. It was a great ride. It wasn't perfect (rode hard and put away wet... I could go through at least 5 things wrong with it, but it operated as a functional car without issue). It was dirty on the outside and a little beat up, but who cares. It was a convertible with an LS motor to cruise around Oahu. Added bonus was that it was kept in a parking garage across the street from my hotel, so no parking fees.

The rental experience was a bit sketchy. This particular owner had the car set up to remotely unlock and the key was inside. That was nice, but before I got to the car, I watched the owner's video on how to get to the garage: https://www.gotomyparking.com And in real life, the stairway was more of a deathtrap than it looks like in the video. Other than that, though, it was fine.

Waikiki was a terrible place to drive, jammed roads and lovely design, but once out of the city, the car was a blast. (No, I didn't do a burnout. It wasn't my car.)

I had that car for a couple days. Then I rented a Ford Flex from the same owner for $54/day. It was gutless, but again, did everything we needed (take 6 people around the island) without problem.

Overall, super positive experience with Turo. I'll use it again.

everdave posted:

Back to AI, I think it is both awesome and terrifying how some of these threads are. Kaker starts the Japanese import thread and BOOM I am on my 4th import. Baja gets the cayenne and now people are out looking for one. Meatpimp and his Beemer and now people are dragging forgotten ones home. I love it.

I haven't read Kaker's thread in months, simply because if I keep reading it, I will buy things. Excellent thread.
I have been keeping up with Bajaha and I have been looking at Craigslist for one.
I have been reading meatpimp's BMW thread and think he should sell it. (even though the motherfucker started right up and has done nothing but purr and transport me quickly since I got home a few days ago)
I have been reading Kimbo's Merc thread and see that we're sick enough that others are actually buying those economic torture devices.

AI is the best.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 22, 2019

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

+1 on 3/4 way switch wiring suuuuuuuuucks

I am now using Lutron smart switches and their little remote units for all 3-ways in my house because they’re brain-dead easy to use and also I like being able to dim everything.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

+1 on 3/4 way switch wiring suuuuuuuuucks

I am now using Lutron smart switches and their little remote units for all 3-ways in my house because they’re brain-dead easy to use and also I like being able to dim everything.

This. I'm also using them on my exterior lights as I have set up triggers in HomeAssistant to command them on at sunset and off at sunrise, which of course varies daily. It's kind of a dumb thing but I really like not having to think about turning the exterior lights on and off.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hey look at me I'm every road around here

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tremek posted:

This. I'm also using them on my exterior lights as I have set up triggers in HomeAssistant to command them on at sunset and off at sunrise, which of course varies daily. It's kind of a dumb thing but I really like not having to think about turning the exterior lights on and off.

loving THIS. We moved to a kinda posher place a year ago or so and one thing that baffles me is all the exterior lights burning away at noon in June. I’m halfway convinced it’s a signal for the Freemasons or the other members of that swingers’ club or something. It’s 2019, automate that poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
3 and 4 way switches are cake and you guys are silly for not understanding them.

3 way is an spdt switch. It connects one wire (common) to one of two other wires (no, nc.)

To use two of them you wire the no/nc on each switch to each other and hook the commons on the two switches to whatever you would normally connect to the two screws on a regular switch.

4 way is a dpdt switch that's been connected internally so that it either crosses a pair of wires or doesn't. You put it in between two 3way switches. You can put any number of 4 way switches in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

3 and 4 way switches are cake and you guys are silly for not understanding them.

3 way is an spdt switch. It connects one wire (common) to one of two other wires (no, nc.)

To use two of them you wire the no/nc on each switch to each other and hook the commons on the two switches to whatever you would normally connect to the two screws on a regular switch.

4 way is a dpdt switch that's been connected internally so that it either crosses a pair of wires or doesn't. You put it in between two 3way switches. You can put any number of 4 way switches in there.

All of this is a foreign language. I'll take some pics tomorrow and maybe you can walk me through the fuckery I have wrought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

Let's assume for a moment that most of us trying to decipher replacing these switches didn't wire the house when there wasn't any drywall or siding or insulation, and instead, we're trying to replace existing switches where it's not clear what the wiring pathing is, or whether switch A is wired to B to C to D or if it's A to D to C to B, etc etc etc.

In practice I believe you would agree that these scenarios are slightly more complex to figure out.