Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1109178567894724610?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if this happens again....how does the program ever recover? Like why would anybody ever want to play for Tony Bennett ever again?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ahahahaha no loving way

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
*bursts into threat* IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN

EDIT: I'm a Wisconsin/VCU fan but live in the Charlottesville area and was going to head downtown in about an hour but I'm not sure if I should now

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
In general across sports playing "low event" or "slow" tends to magnify the impact of luck / variance on the outcome of the game. This is more pronounced in sports like hockey or soccer where the game result can easily be 1-0, but it's also true to a lesser extent in basketball.

I mean, if you believe your players are talented, you should give them as much opportunity as possible to capitalize on that talent within the game..

Hairy Nude
Aug 14, 2006
More gangsta, less angsta.
Tony Bennett has to get fired if UVA loses here, right?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

marioinblack posted:

On the contrary, you should pick them every year if your wizard powers lead to hilarious 16 seed upsets.

Kiimo should start picking Kansas imo

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Not real until the 538 lines cross.
Uc-irvine just got real though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

UVA had a very good albeit very slow offense this year, but generally this has been mostly true recently

I posted this while watching K-State (although I admit it's incredibly silly to characterize UCI as a 10,000 person agriculture school, apologies to my stepdad, a UCI alum, if he ever figures out how to use the internet), it just happened to luckily align with what's happening to Virgina

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Thranguy posted:

Yeah, on a run and up 8 w/ 6 to go.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the fix is in

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My Stepdad: But Rick . . . . what about the disc golf we played . .. what about the giant university library I forced you to use for 5th grade research projects . . .. what about the old gym on the campus where I taught you that basketball was good . . . why have you betrayed UCI. . . .

I'm sorry .. .

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Hairy Nude posted:

Tony Bennett has to get fired if UVA loses here, right?

This may be the strange situation where you have to fire the guy even though you know it's a horrible mistake and your program will never recover.

But they are starting to claw back now.. go UVA! leave the 16 seed upset this year to Duke!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Boy do I feel good about being the only person in my office pool to have UVA winning the whole thing right now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

also as someone who witnessed the historic upset last year, I'll be a little annoyed if they lose again when I had the opportunity to be there but work got in the way :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I posted this while watching K-State (although I admit it's incredibly silly to characterize UCI as a 10,000 person agriculture school, apologies to my stepdad, a UCI alum, if he ever figures out how to use the internet), it just happened to luckily align with what's happening to Virgina

I now very desperately want to see a UCI student work on a farm

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It's not freakish 3-point shooting today, it's turnovers, which seems to say that UVA is spooked as hell. They got down 14 already, which is the most they've been down all season, but they've pulled back double digits against better teams. But if they play frantic even a two-possession lead could get back out of hand in the second half, when it's usually UVA doing the steamrolling.

Also why would you fire a guy who routinely wins 28-30 games a season in the ACC?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

Kiimo should start picking Kansas imo

I have them losing to Auburn.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thranguy posted:

it's so close. i want to believe

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

elentar posted:

Also why would you fire a guy who routinely wins 28-30 games a season in the ACC?

I agree that there are no good reasons to fire him, but if there's a massive backlash from upset donors that might get the job done.

Last year they didn't really speed up their pace until it was basically too late and they were down by 20. I expect this year they might open things up a bit more? or is that just not an option for Tony Bennett?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I need this to happen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My UCLA friends immediately and unilaterally have jumped off the Tony Bennett train, moments before it crashes.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Starsfan posted:

I agree that there are no good reasons to fire him, but if there's a massive backlash from upset donors that might get the job done.

Last year they didn't really speed up their pace until it was basically too late and they were down by 20. I expect this year they might open things up a bit more? or is that just not an option for Tony Bennett?

The donors love Bennett to loving death, as they should. Outside of the Ralph Sampson years, UVA has never been a force in basketball, and without him they would go back to being middle of the pack at best.

This is actually one of their best offensive years, and they didn't have a catastrophic late-season injury for the first time in forever, so as long as it's single digits or so at halftime it's pretty manageable.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

kiimo posted:

I have them losing to Auburn.

Same :hfive:, which probably means this year they put it all together and clown on everybody

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely believe Tony Bennett will never win a national title as a head coach.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Anteaters very well may pull this one out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

Same :hfive:, which probably means this year they put it all together and clown on everybody

I think you and I would have dissimilar feelings about this happening

rock chalk

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Going 30-some years without a 1-seed losing, only to have the same 1 seed lose two years in a row would be loving hilarious.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
passed to the bench lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
These fuckers aren't doing it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Zot Zot motherfuckers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
UC Irvine Nature Center the only "nature" center dumb enough to tear out its wetland area and put in some lovely and ugly ponds, "for the children". I will never forgive you!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Colgate is about to do everything they can to deny interior passes

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
give me all the upsets

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I genuinely believe Tony Bennett will never win a national title as a head coach.

Maybe, but if you can be top 5 every year that's still pretty good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

K-State goin down.

Hope nobody picked them without Wade, they're a pale imitation without him

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

My Stepdad: But Rick . . . . what about the disc golf we played . .. what about the giant university library I forced you to use for 5th grade research projects . . .. what about the old gym on the campus where I taught you that basketball was good . . . why have you betrayed UCI. . . .

I'm sorry .. .

Hospital delivered me, so go Anteaters.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
MAX HAZZARD

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
bring forth more chaos! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

gently caress uci gently caress refs gently caress everything !!!!