Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

why would a nonce stop a nonce?

Healthy competition in the nonce market. the invisible nonce hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

When I was a young boy
My father took me on down to Donny
To pee on postcore bands

what the gently caress even is postcore? too many super specific sub genres is what's killing music :corsair:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So the settled status guidance has been updated, if any other fellow euros want to have a look.

It doesn't look too bad, but I half expect to be told to gently caress off because of some technicality or another. Also obviously anyone who it concerns may really want to save/hunt down documents that can be used as evidence of residence

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

what the gently caress even is postcore? too many super specific sub genres is what's killing music :corsair:

Post-hardcore. Bands using some of the dynamics/timbre/aesthetics of hardcore without necessarily adhering to the song structure or common lyrical themes

Fugazi have been around for a long time now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Also, I'd kind of thought that Uri Geller was already dead?

That's also heresy, the Urimperor of Mankind sits eternal atop His golden throne, broadcasting His psychic beacon into the immaterium to guide the ships of His loyal followers through the daemon haunted wastes of communism and brexit. It is His will that shields us from the ruinous powers of jam granddads and slightly unhinged prime ministers. Why do you think it's called a Geller field?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

Post-hardcore. Bands using some of the dynamics/timbre/aesthetics of hardcore without necessarily adhering to the song structure or common lyrical themes

e: had an email from work warning staff to make backup arrangements for getting in and out of London since they're expecting 1m+ to turn out for that March

kecske fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 22, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Look if you're just going to pissbottle my very reasonable explanation then I'm gonna take my baritone Telecaster and go home

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

If Corbyn does become PM I need to put aside a bit of brain-space to appreciate the fact that, alongside everything else, he will be humiliating Uri Gellar.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Indeterminacy posted:

Not to get all Irish Politics Megathread on us, but I'm not so sure this is necessarily true. If they're smart about this, Fine Gael could potentially steal a march on both Sinn Fein and the DUP by presenting their liberalism as a non-Nationalist pro-Unification position.

Yes, I know, liberalism bad, but it would probably effectively draw in the protestant middle classes who've been turned away from Unionism by the Tory/DUP politicking and social conservatism.

Isn't that just the Alliance Party though? They don't seem to be sapping numbers from anyone.

Also, despite being as West Brit as they come there is literally no way FG will attempt to canvas up north in the next decade outside of a sudden reunification. Even then I'd doubt it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i need to know more about htis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_About_Uri_Geller

But basically google 'Uri Geller James Randi' and you will see a few articles about it.
Uri got his manager in on the scientific experiments to pre-bend spoons or fake whatever, conning the scientists who thought they are on a new frontier.
So in turn got uni money to buy Uri to experiment on.
Uri is so sue happy these days himself if you mention it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kustomkarkommando posted:

(you could make a point such a transition period would not have been necessary if we had speedily concluded a withdrawal agreement and progressed to future relationship talks before the article 50 window closed but that's pretty moot now)

The EU has said they won't start negotiations on the future relationship until we're no longer a member, so I don't think that would make a difference - we'd still have to wait until March 29 to start that process.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Indeterminacy posted:

Not to get all Irish Politics Megathread on us, but I'm not so sure this is necessarily true. If they're smart about this, Fine Gael could potentially steal a march on both Sinn Fein and the DUP by presenting their liberalism as a non-Nationalist pro-Unification position.

Yes, I know, liberalism bad, but it would probably effectively draw in the protestant middle classes who've been turned away from Unionism by the Tory/DUP politicking and social conservatism.

I do agree that FG could help push unification among Alliance/garden-centre Unionists but their organisation North of the border verges on the non-existent currently - they did recently open a youth branch at queen's (something FF did a long time ago) and made noises about further organisation but they are a long way behind. It's hard to avoid that if the a border poll was called tomorrow SF would be the prime movers on the ground which is one of the reasons the whole Think32 thing is kicking into gear to develop a platform to stimulate a debate to broaden the unification platform into something more civic.

And of course FGs usefulness lasts as long as they stay in government and I think that the the DUP are well aware that if SF get into the cabinet then some of those middle ground voters who currently see Dublin as the solution to the moribound SF/DUP status quo might feel a bit iffy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Why do you think it's called a Geller field?

1980's GW were totally thinking of him when they improvised that particular bit of 40k lore.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
This world loving sucks yo but food is so good. If we photosynthesised or some poo poo we would have wiped ourselves off the map a long time ago I reckon

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

If Corbyn does become PM I need to put aside a bit of brain-space to appreciate the fact that, alongside everything else, he will be humiliating Uri Gellar.

Is that alongside everything else corbyn will be doing, he will be humiliating uri geller, or alongside everything else humiliating uri geller, corbyn will be doing it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

1980's GW were totally thinking of him when they improvised that particular bit of 40k lore.

I was actually sort of half assuming that given all the other poo poo in 40k.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I was actually sort of half assuming that given all the other poo poo in 40k.

And the Emperor's true name is: Sir Cliff Richard

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Is that alongside everything else corbyn will be doing, he will be humiliating uri geller, or alongside everything else humiliating uri geller, corbyn will be doing it?

Given his penchant for extremely public humiliation, it's no surprise he's a massive Tory

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, maybe shouldn't post that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 22, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1109152767371890691

Tom, you worthless prick.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I missed this if anyone posted it but it's a very good behind the scenes of people's vote

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1109124300748017665?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Surely if he votes for the deal, along with enough others for it to pass, then we don't need a referendum? We'll be ready to leave.

Also about the settled status thing, if you are a foreign but own a house here does that factor in to your chances of being allowed to stay?

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Jose posted:

I missed this if anyone posted it but it's a very good behind the scenes of people's vote

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1109124300748017665?s=19
Great point about focus on process over result favouring old establishment fixers. This's what has always bothered me about the People's Vote thing. I don't particularly want to vote again, and the vote is not fundamentally why I care; I just want this shitstorm to end so I don't have to worry about my family. But that's not necessarily the view of the people doing the organization, and this lack of solidarity sometimes leaks through in the decisions and tactics they use.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
JFC, like Theresa May's word means ANYTHING. loving idiot.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh this is about the only likely situation where you get a second ref

this isn't a bad move, honestly

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been thinking about No Deal Brexit and the narrative of what a horrible thing it will be.

What concerns me is that I don't think No Deal will be this spectacular disaster. Rather it's going to look like austerity: the poor, the weak and the disadvantaged slowly dying off at an accelerated but preventable rate, obfuscating direct responsibility. Which means that the political and media narrative will be "oh, it wasn't such a big problem after all", especially after hyping up what a mess it will be; it will be a disaster, but a slow and quiet one, like climate change.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Currently listening to an audiobook about the French revolution and she's explaining about political sides like "right wing" "left wing" and "Liberal" etc

She explains how these beliefs were very different back then than what they are today.

For example "right wing" represented pro-monarchy, patriarchy (father controlled the house hold), authoritarianism and strong support for the church.

Left wing pretty much went full on democracy, abolish slavery, take down the nobles, confiscate church lands and take away political power from the church, rights for women etc

Meanwhile Liberals didn't think that democracy should go quite so far as to offer representation to non-land owners, Liberals supported some social rights but also believed in a strong rule of law and protection of private property (more specifically the property held and generated by the rich through enslavement of the poor)

And I'm like "lady, nothing has changed at all"

Edit: also apparently "the terror" was a drop in the ocean compared to the thousands of pro-revolution people who got flat our murdered on the spot for going near regions of France that were pro-monarchy. Like monarchist villages would out right purge themselves of people who expressed support for the new constitution.

Edit2: George Washington was also kind of a dick towards France. France bankrupted itself supporting the American revolution. So France sent a diplomat to the US to negotiate some points that could help France and it went like this.

France: hey US. We went broke helping you out. Have you considered maybe working on repaying that that war debt to us?
Washington: Na
France: Okay how about an improvement in our current trade deal?
Washington: Na
France: Okay okay. How about we sign a treaty where we promise not to attack one another?
Washington: Hmmm you and the Brits are always at one another's throats and the Brits might be useful trade partners one day so I'm going to pass.

It ended with the French concluding that the only thing the Americans valued was money.

Katt fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 22, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh this is about the only likely situation where you get a second ref

this isn't a bad move, honestly

It's absolutely a bad move.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Joke's on her at this rate we're gonna leave in summer and the country will literally all go on fire instantly.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just watched this vid and thought it was good and thread-appropriate. This guy's channel is p good in general I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CI2vk3ugk

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

And I'm like "lady, nothing has changed at all"
We succeeded in getting a 5 sou tax on burlap sacks in exchange for tougher purges of republicans.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wales is cinders at this point.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/ceteraIM/status/1109100873118945282?s=20

btw we're probably headed for another global recession on top of Brexit, so that's cool.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

btw we're probably headed for another global recession on top of Brexit, so that's cool.

I mean yeah, hasn't that been obvious for a while? The banks have been back to their old tricks for quite some time

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

TheRat posted:

I mean yeah, hasn't that been obvious for a while? The banks have been back to their old tricks for quite some time

Well yeah but this is apparently a really strong indicator that one is coming imminently.

https://twitter.com/johnauthers/status/1109108956142682114?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Probably good news for would be leftists because "launch all capitalists into the sun" is gonna be real goddamn popular policy soon.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This is one of my absolute favourite absurd Simpsons moments, this is just perfect.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Probably good news for would be leftists because "launch all capitalists into the sun" is gonna be real goddamn popular policy soon.

Lol no it won't, it'll be the fault of immigrants and there'll probably be a new war somewhere as a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

No, it will be a time to make tough choices on how much to accelerate the deaths of the poor