Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't think you get quad channel RAM until you go to LGA2066.

Whoops, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Vintersorg posted:

Guy at work bought a Dell Precision 3000 series with 32GB of RAM and Xeon 2186G. We don't support those and asked why since we support Dell Latitudes. He said the Lat's can't do what this does but from the things I am reading the i7 8700 is just as good.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/418/Intel_Core_i7_i7-8700K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E_E-2186G.html

Is the $1000+ CAD for the Xeon in this case worth it (that was the quote from Dell)?

Does he need ECC for his workload Y/N?

e: FYI the CPU in question only has 2 memory controllers
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134855/intel-xeon-e-2186g-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 21, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only reason for it is if it absolutely can't fail instead of probably won't fail with the consumer hardware.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

craig588 posted:

The only reason for it is if it absolutely can't fail instead of probably won't fail with the consumer hardware.

Yeah, I am trying to find out why he needs this so bad - like he's getting REALLY confrontational.

"I'm not looking to explain to you what I do, how I do it, or why I do it that way."

Also didn't mean Latitudes... Optiplex, that changes things prob.

So a Dell Opti 7060 vs Dell Prec 3630

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vintersorg posted:

"I'm not looking to explain to you what I do, how I do it, or why I do it that way."

LOL, goes right in the GET hosed file.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sounds like he just wants the expensive poo poo. Any way to hook him up with a C2D?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You might be able to solve it really quick by saying you can support it, but the budget doesn't cover it and he has to buy it himself. I've heard so many stories of a new guy coming in, requesting 5,000 dollars of hardware and then leaving in a month.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

craig588 posted:

You might be able to solve it really quick by saying you can support it, but the budget doesn't cover it and he has to buy it himself. I've heard so many stories of a new guy coming in, requesting 5,000 dollars of hardware and then leaving in a month.

The viability of this plan is determined by what happens to that requested hardware when they bail or are fired. :getin:

Sometimes, you're just shopping for yourself!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I am trying to find out why he needs this so bad - like he's getting REALLY confrontational.

Also didn't mean Latitudes... Optiplex, that changes things prob.

So a Dell Opti 7060 vs Dell Prec 3630
buy the optiplex and give him a wedgie

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Vintersorg posted:

Guy at work bought a Dell Precision 3000 series with 32GB of RAM and Xeon 2186G. We don't support those and asked why since we support Dell Latitudes EDIT: OPTIPLEX . He said the Lat's can't do what this does but from the things I am reading the i7 8700 is just as good.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/418/Intel_Core_i7_i7-8700K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E_E-2186G.html

You should use Intel ARK for Intel to Intel comparisons, it highlights differences so you can tell exactly what’s up. Sometimes the minor things have false diffs because they’re listed in slightly different ways or the database isn’t perfectly accurate, but overall it’s pretty good.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=134855,126684

The silicon design should be identical between this pair of models. Intel is just charging a lot of money for enabling ECC in an unnoticeably better speed bin and branding the result as a Xeon.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

buy the optiplex and give him a wedgie

It sounds like the hardware’s bought and the guy is complaining that he’s not getting support for a machine IT didn’t spec and buy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

BobHoward posted:

It sounds like the hardware’s bought and the guy is complaining that he’s not getting support for a machine IT didn’t spec and buy

Reply to the guy with Dell's return policy.

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/terms-conditions/art-us-return-policy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Return policy and the wedgie imo

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

He's already played his card of being an rear end in a top hat. I don't think anything more than spouting company policy and directing him to his boss is needed...unless he's a c-level.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Pretty much this.

My lead told me this thing is not touching the network drives at all. At best he can get a IP address.

He hasn't responded back to me yet so right now it's just sitting around with Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks for the ARK site and all the other info. :)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh poo poo I think my launch week Z77-M-Pro just died.

It's been on all day since ~April-May 2012 and lugging around a 2500k pushing 4.4-4.6 for more than half of that. It should have been dead years ago. CPU tested fine in a spare HP workstation I have lying around.

Picking up a spare z68 at some point over the weekend. SANDY BRIDGE WILL LIVE ON.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Sandy Bridge forever. My 4.4 2500K got kicked out of the top spot by a six-core, but it lives on with a GT 1030 as an overpowered HTPC and will probably have that role until it dies or the P8Z68-V it rests in does.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sell it and buy an nvidia shield. Htpc thread convinced me of same and they are right and also it's profitable.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

LRADIKAL posted:

Sell it and buy an nvidia shield. Htpc thread convinced me of same and they are right and also it's profitable.

Have both and turn it into a NAS like I'm doing with my old desktop when Threadripper 3000 series comes around :science:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can have a much lower power using NAS using a Raspberry Pi. There probably are even lower power options, but I'm lazy and had a Pi so I used that. I don't turn off my NAS most of the time. It averages using just a few watts.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
A 2500k is a very inefficient media center or NAS. Since people still pay decent money for them, it's worth going to a shield TV or Synology (or whatever brand) respectively. It's fun to set the stuff up yourself, but the custom boxes are by far more practical and energy efficient. Also they are smaller and quieter.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LRADIKAL posted:

A 2500k is a very inefficient media center or NAS. Since people still pay decent money for them, it's worth going to a shield TV or Synology (or whatever brand) respectively. It's fun to set the stuff up yourself, but the custom boxes are by far more practical and energy efficient. Also they are smaller and quieter.

I personally would never use an 'appliance' as a media centre, they lock you in to all kinds of bullshit, and convince people that transcoding video on-the-fly is actually a reasonable use of resources.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Shield runs Amazon, YouTube, Netflix, all that stuff, also functions as Chromecast, and can run Kodi and Plex. You can steam steam, and nvidia stream, it also supports USB and Bluetooth game controllers. All without sideloading or any of that. If you're lucky the HDMI-CEC will work perfectly, too. It can even do file and Plex serving. It's really hard to beat, especially for the price.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

craig588 posted:

You can have a much lower power using NAS using a Raspberry Pi

Sure, if you want a "NAS" that struggles to match the speed of your hard drive in 1998 for transfer.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just have 3 4TB HDs hooked up with no RAID or anything and replace them when SMART warnings come up. They do about 100MB/s sequentially which is fine for the type of consumer stuff I do. I just have my blurays and all my old games stored there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

craig588 posted:

I just have 3 4TB HDs hooked up with no RAID or anything and replace them when SMART warnings come up. They do about 100MB/s sequentially which is fine for the type of consumer stuff I do. I just have my blurays and all my old games stored there.

A Raspberry Pi absolutely cannot push 100 megabytes per second off USB, it can't even read off of the disks faster than ~35 megabytes per second and that's only if you're not also transferring to the network. Because it's USB 2.0, and USB 2.0 splitting its bandwidth between the disks, the ethernet, etc at that.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It might be caching or something. The Windows file transfer box regularly reads around 100MB/s so it's at least tricking whatever that measures.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

LRADIKAL posted:

If you're lucky the HDMI-CEC will work perfectly, too.

This actually has been a biiiiig plus for me since controlling it from my x900f's remote has been really nice and 98% problem free. Having the play, pause, fast forward, etc buttons all work and being able to navigate with the menu navigation buttons has been great. Only issues have been it ignoring the controller and/or lagging behind with commands from the tv remote when the shield tv wakes up from sleep mode. I did have to turn off "control tv power state" stuff and some of the "swap to this hdmi input" stuff though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hmm, I do the opposite. I have an amp that auto senses, and I don't use any of my TVs smart functions, so the shield remote controls everything. Another neat thing is my Google home can turn on and off the TV via the shield as well.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I personally would never use an 'appliance' as a media centre, they lock you in to all kinds of bullshit, and convince people that transcoding video on-the-fly is actually a reasonable use of resources.

I have an HTPC too, but they really are obsolete right now unless you want to watch weird pirate streams that only load in a browser. Even then, you can use a Chromecast. A shield does just about everything, uses less power, and you don't have to use a hodgepodge of software to get your old MCE remote working properly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

craig588 posted:

It might be caching or something. The Windows file transfer box regularly reads around 100MB/s so it's at least tricking whatever that measures.

How are you connecting these drives to the rpi? This doesn’t make much sense

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
If you want a Pi that actually supports modern interfaces, check out the new Jetson Nano. It's basically a Shield with 4gb ram, 2/3 the clocks and half the gpu cores, for half the price.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-jetson-nano&num=1

You get HDMI 2.0, gigabit Ethernet, and 4 USB 3.0. The quad A57s roll all over the CPU in the Pi, as does the Maxwell GPU.

Pi's crappy shared USB 2.0 was fine when it was released EIGHTyears ago, but it's really limiting today. You can't overclock your way out of that corner.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 23, 2019

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

LRADIKAL posted:

It's probably not that bad for a NAS, based on my experience with the previous generation. I use an X3440 with an Supermicro X8SIL-F and checking just now, the whole system with 4 HDDs and an SSD included uses under 60W. The drives have to be 2/3 of that so I don't think it's possible to do much better. It's definitely larger than a Synology would be, but I don't really care since I have it stuck in the back of a walk-in closet. Noise isn't an issue with some cheap Arctic PWM fans.

The aftermarket solutions have their advantages, but even coming from my old X58 system that used 70W with one drive it would take a long time to pay off a 6-drive Synology with lower electric bills. The Shield's not much better, since it is cheaper but my HTPC can sleep and use <5W when it's not in use.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Don Dongington posted:

Oh poo poo I think my launch week Z77-M-Pro just died.

It's been on all day since ~April-May 2012 and lugging around a 2500k pushing 4.4-4.6 for more than half of that. It should have been dead years ago. CPU tested fine in a spare HP workstation I have lying around.

Picking up a spare z68 at some point over the weekend. SANDY BRIDGE WILL LIVE ON.

Update: as a Hail Mary Pass last night, I dug out my dad's old PC with an Asus Z77-M that I'd written off as dead but not gotten around to throwing out yet in it. Well as it turns out,

WE'RE BACK BABY

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Don Dongington posted:

Update: as a Hail Mary Pass last night, I dug out my dad's old PC with an Asus Z77-M that I'd written off as dead but not gotten around to throwing out yet in it. Well as it turns out,

WE'RE BACK BABY

Sandy Bridge can never die.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MagusDraco posted:

Sandy Bridge can never die.

The Honda Civic of Intel eras.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I've lined up a spare Z68 board if this one dies as well. If I recall, those are even more reliable.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

How are you connecting these drives to the rpi? This doesn’t make much sense

I have some generic USB adapters for 2 WD Reds and 1 Seagate Ironwolf. Nothing name brand, but it works for me with the type of consumer workloads I have. Of course if you have something specific in mind a dedicated box will be better, but to just appear as one big drive that doesn't know anything that I move single multi gigabyte files to it works great.

Edit: I just did a file transfer to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong and it was 160MB/s which seemed high so I went to my hallway and at some point I bought a Drobo for my house and forgot about it. Sorry for the confusion.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 23, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Telyra posted:

The Honda Civic of Intel eras.

I'm still gaming on a 2500k@4.2 with an almost 8 year-old P67 board and 8GB DDR3 :corsair: but with an SSD and a GTX1070.:pcgaming:

Right now I'm torn between upgrading next month or waiting a few more months for Zen 2.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 23, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

craig588 posted:

I have some generic USB adapters for 2 WD Reds and 1 Seagate Ironwolf. Nothing name brand, but it works for me with the type of consumer workloads I have. Of course if you have something specific in mind a dedicated box will be better, but to just appear as one big drive that doesn't know anything that I move single multi gigabyte files to it works great.

Edit: I just did a file transfer to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong and it was 160MB/s which seemed high so I went to my hallway and at some point I bought a Drobo for my house and forgot about it. Sorry for the confusion.

LOL, wtf...

Just a reminder everyone, take a physical look at your equipment to make sure that you are talking about the right product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know why I didn't remember it. I got it free when a friend bought a building and it was included with the stuff inside. I had to think about it for a while because I didn't remember buying it. I didn't specifically need it, but I set it up since I had it. It speaks well to their quality that it's been there for so long and I've needed to do nothing to it that I forgot I even owned it.