Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

where the red fern gropes posted:

featured contracts are out and they legit picked the one where you have to kill carlton smith with a push accident
In all fairness, they also featured that contract we came up with where there's no exit from Colorado unless you do the Rep Tires easter egg. You know, the contract that was your idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I like the Sniper Assassin poo poo and I'm glad to be playing it.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I thought Himmelstein was a bit limited in how it turned into ‘lure bodyguard near water feature, shoot him in’ over and over.

Hopefully this new one has some more varied ways of assassinating and hiding bodies.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Nakar posted:

In all fairness, they also featured that contract we came up with where there's no exit from Colorado unless you do the Rep Tires easter egg. You know, the contract that was your idea?
I feel almost tempted now to submit an impossible to SA Miami contract featuring the STIG exit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The mobile game is a little easier tbh, since guards don't auto-alert off of accident kills; they'll come and look at the body if it's seen and then leave, like in the main game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wait, do easter egg exits break Contracts or what?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So examining the new Featureds:

• The Sapienza Cleaver contract is absolute rear end, a "cute" contract you have to execute in around one minute or else you've already hosed up because the NPC routines do not seem to ever take them back to where they need to be if you fail to do this. It's one I might legitimately not finish because it really is that bad, and I normally finish everything.
  • The other Sapienza contract is... fine. :geno: At least it's vaguely interesting to do Suit Only.
  • The Santa Fortuna one is legitimately interesting. Entirely possible with no mastery but a little time-consuming. Speedrunning it will take shenanigans, which I like.
  • The Mumbai contract is an Urben puzzle contract which you'll either love or hate probably.
  • It is theoretically possible to do the Carlton Smith Fall Accident contract with no mastery unlocks, but the process for doing so would be absolutely insane: You need the fire extinguisher from the security room to launch him off the morgue tray, which is the easy part. The hard part is actually getting the morgue tray open. EDIT: Disregard, I have found a way that's much easier.

Mantis42 posted:

It's because they don't break contracts that they're particularly interesting.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 23, 2019

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

The particular easter egg exit I'm talking about has "Kill Siera and Robert Knox as the pale rider" as its unlock condition, but you can set up a contract that uses that exit but doesn't have them marked as targets.

E: Additionally since the game doesn't really tell you what the required exit is until you've killed all your targets, and even then will only show this particular one if it's currently unlocked, it'd just look impossible to complete to a lot of people.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Okay nevermind my brilliant Agent Smith plan doesn't work because they nerfed Fire Extinguishers so badly that it can't even launch him off the tray like a Concussion Duck can. Thanks a loving lot, otherwise this poo poo was absolutely perfect.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Whoever makes a Featured Contract with required conditions prevents me from just blowing everybody away with the Striker in a minute to get progress for the challenges. Thus, they are war criminals of the highest order.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, maybe I'm paranoid, but as I was following the Maelstrom in Mumbai around the streets, I did notice the 'Holy man' was also always around him always. Was he following him? Is there a subplot about him that I don't know?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Turin Turambar posted:

So, maybe I'm paranoid, but as I was following the Maelstrom in Mumbai around the streets, I did notice the 'Holy man' was also always around him always. Was he following him? Is there a subplot about him that I don't know?
They have coincidentally similar routes and look alike but don't interact. Tbe holy man does nothing as far as I know, aside from being a disguise.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Tell us more about the Smith challenge, Nakar.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell us more about the Smith challenge, Nakar.
Not much to say, you just follow a guard into the security room and knock both of them out for the FE and cameras. Sneak to the helipad area for a crowbar and come back to open the locker which has a scrambler in it. Knock out everyone in the morgue, open the tray, place or throw the FE, shoot with a guard gun. It should work but doesn't because of the FE nerf, or it can work but is too RNG for me to repeatedly dedicate 5-7 minutes to setting up.

Might test to see if the propane tank can move him at all without killing him. Hokkaido is funny in only having one of each explodable, so I can't use multiple FEs to try and do it.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Concussion rubber duck is the answer.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nakar posted:

They have coincidentally similar routes and look alike but don't interact. Tbe holy man does nothing as far as I know, aside from being a disguise.

The Holy Man stops and waits when the Maelstrom stops somewhere, then only begins following him again when he starts moving.

Seems kind of bodyguardy to me, but I've never attacked him out in the open.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tailing him maybe? The Maelstrom *is* a criminal, maybe the holy man wants to get a look at what he's up to?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assumed that it was intended to leave you wondering if you were unaware of who the Maelstrom was, which only really works for a first time run where you might see this conspicuous dude moving about seemingly freely through the slums and think he's the bad guy, with the twist being he's just a completely normal looking dude who doesn't stand out in any way apart from his incredible voice.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Could be! There's really not much of a clue what their relationship may be, but they do seem to have one, be it one-sided or not, rather than a complete coincidence.

I mean, unless it was a completely unintentional mistake on IOI's part to sync them up so...well, intentionally.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I do notice sometimes the Holy Man walks through crows territory with no issues, though if you wear the holy man disguise in crows territory its trespassing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As great as Mumbai is, it also has a few 'filler', checklist-y challenges that made me think they were out of time and money with Hitman 2 (apart from more obvious things like the 'still' cutscenes approach). Even more, I was surprised to see four challenges repeated in the next mission:
-Kill a target with electricity
-Kill all targets with electricity
-Kill a target with a sniper rifle from x mission-specific point
-Kill all targets with a sniper rifle from x mission-specific point

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think those are mostly fine. Electrical kills are non-obvious for the Mumbai and Whittleton Creek targets, and the sniper achievements are substantively different: You need to figure out how to get every target in line of sight from the sniper perch in Mumbai, and the trick in Whittleton Creek isn't how to get the targets from the treehouse so much as how to get them close enough to each other to kill them in one shot.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

good point

i might make one where you have to drown smith instead

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

good point

i might make one where you have to drown smith instead

here it is

PC

1-10-3086894-95

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here's the patch notes for tomorrow update: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-march-update/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

We’ve fixed an issue that was preventing unconscious NPC’s from dying when a disco ball was dropped on them.

quote:

Silent Assassin Status: We expect to release changes to how the Silent Assassin rating is awarded and calculated in our next major update. At that time, we’ll detail the changes and conditions.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Silent Assassin Status: We expect to release changes to how the Silent Assassin rating is awarded and calculated in our next major update. At that time, we’ll detail the changes and conditions.

?????????

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
"We’ve added the Himmelstein and Hantu Port locations to the Career/Statistics menu. The progression of each of the 3 rifles will be displayed (47, Stone and Knight)."

Is there seriously separate XP bars for the 2 MP characters? I've not played that online and thought it'd take like 50 playthroughs to max it out once, I can't imagine doing it 3 total times.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

elf help book posted:

?????????

Are they finally fixing the trespassing thing after 3 months?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They have several bug fixes for the sniping new system, let's cross our fingers.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Turin Turambar posted:

They have several bug fixes for the sniping new system, let's cross our fingers.
I've done all the sniping challenges so I'm secretly hoping they've somehow broken it even more. :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

elf help book posted:

"We’ve added the Himmelstein and Hantu Port locations to the Career/Statistics menu. The progression of each of the 3 rifles will be displayed (47, Stone and Knight)."

Is there seriously separate XP bars for the 2 MP characters? I've not played that online and thought it'd take like 50 playthroughs to max it out once, I can't imagine doing it 3 total times.

Oh you bet they both have separate XP, and it takes way more tha 50 playthroughs. Top multiplayer score I've seen on the leaderboards is a bit shy of 4 million, and you are never going to get that pairing up with randos. I've managed to get about to 12 on both but it's just such a loving chore because of how bad the pubbies are. Sure do love lining up my first shot and having my buddy start gunning down civilians for shits and giggles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
How's the feather duster?

Shame there's no french maid 47 outfit.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
👏 Let 👏 47 👏 wear 👏 female 👏 disguises 👏

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just let us play female 47. Make it hard mode since there's fewer female disguises around.

Heck, let us play Diana with gravel-voice 47 in her ear going "THAT is your target

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Nakar posted:

So examining the new Featureds:

[list][*]The Sapienza Cleaver contract is absolute rear end, a "cute" contract you have to execute in around one minute or else you've already hosed up because the NPC routines do not seem to ever take them back to where they need to be if you fail to do this. It's one I might legitimately not finish because it really is that bad, and I normally finish everything.
[*]The Mumbai contract is an Urben puzzle contract which you'll either love or hate probably.

Mumbai was extremely easy, just killing two relatively isolated targets and dropping a pipe on two others from crane controls, not even a puzzle.
The Green Butcher seems to leave one of the targets immobile in the middle of the square all the time in full view of at least 5 people, just exploded him with propane tank in the end.
Went back and did some of the ones I skipped to get to 25, although they're a real trashfire - Love in the fast Lane(roll a random on 2 out of 4 targets that after panic and guard dragging away a corpse leaves them in a good position for next kill, also listen to a long conversation between these two targets every time you retry) and Heartbreak hotel(5 targets on different floors in Bangkok and ever being noticed is an instant failure)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

HenryEx posted:

Just let us play female 47. Make it hard mode since there's fewer female disguises around.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Love in the fast Lane(roll a random on 2 out of 4 targets that after panic and guard dragging away a corpse leaves them in a good position for next kill, also listen to a long conversation between these two targets every time you retry)
This one I actually enjoyed, I'd recommend experimenting with making Moses Lee lose the race and seeing what the targets that aren't Thierry do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HenryEx posted:

Heck, let us play Diana with gravel-voice 47 in her ear going "THAT is your target

"Excellent work Diana, 75% of what I would have been paid has been wired to your account."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I feel like there's something wrong with her face....

Huh. Must be getting tired.