Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MikeyTsi posted:

I couldn't remove the concrete for most of them when I did the back run of fence. Fortunately the last install was done without any concept of spacing, so I was able to just space the posts with some order when I did it and avoided the ones that were stuck in the ground.

I actually have a friend who owns fencing company, so he loaned me a tool that's basically an A-frame (like a swing-set but 4 feet tall and made of thick steel pipe) with a big gently caress-off chain and and a small ratcheting block and tackle. You dig around the post enough to wrap the chain around, and then crank and crank and crank. Then you crank some more. Eventually you have *most* of a cylinder of cement (the rest is chunks easy to get out) and a fairly pristine hole to re-use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually have a friend who owns fencing company, so he loaned me a tool that's basically an A-frame (like a swing-set but 4 feet tall and made of thick steel pipe) with a big gently caress-off chain and and a small ratcheting block and tackle. You dig around the post enough to wrap the chain around, and then crank and crank and crank. Then you crank some more. Eventually you have *most* of a cylinder of cement (the rest is chunks easy to get out) and a fairly pristine hole to re-use.

Yeah, you can sort of recreate that idea with bolts sunk in connected to a chain, then a tire then connect to a vehicle for a puller.

Or I could get a jackhammer, it'll blast through the wood core pretty quickly then you can use that area to split the cement in to a few pieces that you can then pull out.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You've got an engine hoist, right?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wrar posted:

You've got an engine hoist, right?

Nope. The one I used for the car was borrowed.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp v.2

And on another sad note:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that sucks pal and the fence

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Looks like I'm behind on stuff, so let's start getting caught up.

When you last saw our intrepid home-owner, he'd just discovered that a windstorm had ripped one of his gates off its hinges. Let's see what he's done to repair that.

Picked up some heavy duty hinges and some stainless bolts so I could mount all the way through. I think this works a bit better:

Pretty good here:

Kinda hosed that one up a bit tho.

Shifted the gate out a bit so I'll need to trim this. Also need to get some bolts to mount a new latch, need to re-drill one hole for the hinge, and I need to pick up a metal blade for my sawzall so I can trim some bolts down.

All in all it's an acceptable repair. Given the above post I'm looking at rebuilding this fence in a few months so I'll build and mount a new gate then with better frame bracing. I'm also debating mounting a piece of wood on the side of the house to act as a stop so the gate can't be forced to swing in by wind any more.

Now I need to repair the other gate, the two main posts are pulling apart and it's causing the gate to not be "true" and scrape on the ground. I'll probably be able to strap them to get them at the right angle then reinstall rails to get them to stay together like they should. That's another "old" part as well so I'll eventually rebuild that too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

that sucks pal and the fence

Yeah. I mean, he was 18, but he was stupidly healthy until he suddenly,... wasn't.

Basically on Friday he stopped having as much interest in food. That got progressively worse over the weekend and he started giving more sounds of distress. By Sunday night/Monday morning he was showing visible signs of weakness. Given how he was behaving I assumed he had a green tooth or an abscess, since he was tempted by food, would take a few bites, then stop and yowl. I took him in to pet ER and the diagnosis turned out to be kidney failure. Had to say good-bye that night.

I've got him in the freezer right now, I'm working on locating a place that can clean the bones and then I'm going to have him articulated.

Lily (his sister) has been considerably more vocal since that, I'm wondering if she's missing having another cat around the house. I'll eventually end up with another feline or few but it doesn't seem like quite the right time yet.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also finally got this project done:

I can post more if there are any other nerds around that are interested but in short:

- Moved my server to my office
- Installed 6x 2TB drives in server (2xRAID1 for OS and BitTorrent drop, 4xRAID5 for data volume)
- Got my drive bay up and running again, that's running 11x2TB RAID5 + 1 hotspare. I've migrated all of my non-redundant stuff (Movies, TV shows, game files, ebooks, etc) to this and the internal data volume.

The server will still eventually move to the shed, but there's a lot of stuff I need to do before that's reasonable. At least now it's behind a door instead of the utility room so I've freed up some space there and things are a bit more quiet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i was right with your feels right up until the

MikeyTsi posted:

I've got him in the freezer right now, I'm working on locating a place that can clean the bones and then I'm going to have him articulated.

are you making a taxidermist action figure of your cat made with real cat?

i only ask this because i had a good cat bud for like ever and died much like yours and oh my god i built him a flower garden not put him up on the mantle

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
also have you tried a rebuild at that data set size? it usually will take forever at that volume at raid 5

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also, did some more stuff.

We managed to freecycle the washing machine, but that still left me with an old dryer and dishwasher sitting around to get rid of. So time for a dump/recycling trip.

After loading up the two appliances we had a goodly amount of space left in the truck, so we decided to start clearing out the wood pile.

I have to clear out ALL of this so I can repair the back wall and get the stump out that's back there.

After that, decided to do something about that bad section of drywall in the master closet, we want to start using it and I need to get it repaired for refinance inspection.

Yeah, this piece was shot.

Looks okay in here though.

Some damage on the pieces it was in contact with, but I'm not seeing sag and they should be salvageable.

Pieced this together and used it as a template for the new piece. In retrospect probably not the best decision,....

But it got me close enough.

I need to run in some more screws and pick up some of that tape poo poo so I can spackle those gaps, but it's mostly done. Once I finish that I'll paint and deep-clean the carpet so I can get the rest of the musty smell out of there, and then I can try to get the closet organizers back in place.

Some of you probably already know I'm really in to POP figures, to the point where I'm now out of space. So I installed a new shelf to help with my habit.

Should still be enough space to put eventual catways above there.

This more or less catches up, I've also been working on rebuilding my music collection while I still try to get my bad drive working, I've been going through and shredding a bunch of my mother's old documents (seriously, who keeps tax returns from 2003?), and I'm starting a photo scan project so I can archive a poo poo-ton of old photos she had around.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

i was right with your feels right up until the

are you making a taxidermist action figure of your cat made with real cat?

i only ask this because i had a good cat bud for like ever and died much like yours and oh my god i built him a flower garden not put him up on the mantle

No, I'm going to have his skeleton articulated.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

also have you tried a rebuild at that data set size? it usually will take forever at that volume at raid 5

It's only 2TB drives dude, rebuilding (which it will do automatically from the hotspare) doesn't really take that long. And yes, I'm pretty familiar with RAID.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why do you want your buddys skeleton?

i figured you were most folks dont bother with backups at all much less a mirrored primary set plus redundant storage, i just hate waiting for a set to rebuild is all

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

why do you want your buddys skeleton?

i figured you were most folks dont bother with backups at all much less a mirrored primary set plus redundant storage, i just hate waiting for a set to rebuild is all

Why didn't you want your buddy's skeleton?

People do things in their own way, I'm not really sure I can explain it to you.

I mean, I've got the hardware so I might as well. And I'm not losing a whole lot of capacity for the sake of redundancy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fair enough it just seemed rather macabre is all, i mean if you have your reasons fine :shrug:

eh i tend to throw out/recycle or pass along old rear end gear it tends to pile up and make the ladyfrog mad i dont need 5 nines of uptime i just post cat/dog pictures

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

fair enough it just seemed rather macabre is all, i mean if you have your reasons fine :shrug:

eh i tend to throw out/recycle or pass along old rear end gear it tends to pile up and make the ladyfrog mad i dont need 5 nines of uptime i just post cat/dog pictures

On the other hand, 18TB filestore for my media. I'm not chasing uptime, I just don't want to have to replace 2000 movies among other things.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Apparently when BoA decided to sell off my loan they "neglected" to tell the receiving company that they were buying a loan for someone that was deceased, the receiving company didn't do any due diligence whatsoever, and now I have go through all the authorization bullshit again so they can officially recognize that I'm someone they can talk to about the loan.

So, that's rad. At least they don't have any problems taking payments from me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus. Bank bureaucracy is the devil.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, it makes sense why the documentation and poo poo is necessary, but I ALREADY loving DID IT ONCE.

Technically twice now that I think about it, BoA hosed up the first time I sent them paperwork and never registered poo poo.

MikeyTsi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 25, 2019

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Time for some temp fence repair.

Did you know you can fit 8' posts in a Honda Accord? You can!

Bought some post spikes so I wouldn't have to worry about auguring the ground or concrete or anything like that, as this is just going to be temporary until I can tear this side of the fence down and rebuild it later this year.

Bought some 1/2"x8" lag bolts and appropriate hardware and a 1/2" long-rear end drill bit. Got the fence pushed more or less up against it and drilled holes through the post and the rail, then got the fence realigned and ran the bolts through and tightened things down.

All in all, not my best work (you can see that the posts aren't entirely straight or true), but should be good enough to keep poo poo from blowing down until I can get it rebuilt.

Looks like whomever built this fence was either too dumb to understand how the clips are supposed to work or were too fuckin' lazy to do it right. Unfortunately it looks like these are N8 (I have a box of N10), so getting these parts back together right so they're stable will have to wait for another weekend.

Picked up some seam tape while I was out as well so should be able to wrap up the closet ceiling repair soon so I can get that room painted and get the shelving back up.

Bonus: Engaged in a feline acquisition over the weekend as well.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

That's a cute fence cat.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah big stuff in little cars

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Riley has cancer.

I've got about another week with him.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
are you fostering terminal cats?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

are you fostering terminal cats?

My dog, dude. He's been in at least a few of the photos acting in a supervisory capacity.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Haven't really been able to force myself to do much on the house, but my stalking Second Use bore some fruit recently:

If I can force myself to I may get this and the disposal that's been sitting installed this weekend. We'll see. I also need to finish the ceiling repair in the closet and I really should mow my drat lawn.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

(To find out why I didn't work on the house before, check out my auto thread).

In this week's "I can't catch a fuckin' break":

Decided I was going to try to get the lawn mowed over the weekend, because I haven't done it since last year, don'tjudgeme am a totally responsible adult that cares about lawn maintenance. So on Saturday I head out to the back yard and pull the electric mower out.

It starts and runs, for about 2 minutes, then starts doing the "my battery is dead" spinning up and down. I'd just pulled the battery out of the charger and it's showing a full charge.

Okay then. Pull the second battery out, and put that in. Same fuckin' thing. Well, that's super, maybe something's wrong with the mower.

No biggie, I'll just pull out the one gas mower I have that was working last season,.... Well, gently caress. That won't start either. I grab some tools and pull the gas line (spilling gas all over my hand in the process, natch), and try to clean out the line a bit. I connect the line again and it starts, for a good 3 count before it dies and won't start again.

By this time I decide it's time to "gently caress it", so I give up for the day. I pull the charger out of the shed and plug it inside the house because why not.

So, just so we're clear. At this count, I have FOUR lawnmowers, NONE of which currently work. I may have a problem.

We get to Sunday. I decide I'm going to give the electric one more shot, so I grab the battery and try again. This time it's successful, sort of; I get about 15-20 minutes before the battery stops working.

So my day consists of:
- Run the mower until it dies (I have to mow at an angle because since I haven't mowed in like 5 months the grass is at a stage best described as "jungle" and it's the only way to keep it running for more than 5 seconds without clogging and dying (it lasts about 2 minutes this way until I gently caress up and have to start it again). This is not great for my back.
- Go inside, put the battery on the charger, and play Assassin's Creed Origins until the battery is charged and I can go back out again.

By doing the above winning method I was finally able to finish a first sweep of the back yard by about 20:00. It's not GREAT, but it's not a jungle and I should be able to get a reasonable pass with the mower at full height provided I do it soon. I'll probably go back out tonight and do another sweep to get it at a good baseline and try to get most of the clippings picked up.

So, I probably need new batteries, I may spring for a 5A, that way I should hopefully only need one. I should also get my "new" mower working (it probably needs the metering jet cleaned out and/or a good carb clean), and get rid of the other two gas mowers I have sitting and taking up space. I tend to prefer gas mowers, so if I can get the newer of those working I may just get rid of the electric mower.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'd like to offer this video as a suggestion for your fifth lawn mower, courtesy of the ... I think I got that in the BUDK thread?

Never had a mower with a battery, I don't think. Always either gas or an extension cord.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Vavrek posted:

I'd like to offer this video as a suggestion for your fifth lawn mower, courtesy of the ... I think I got that in the BUDK thread?

Never had a mower with a battery, I don't think. Always either gas or an extension cord.

Why did I just watch an hours worth of Scythe videos.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Why did I just watch an hours worth of Scythe videos.

Because the scythe is a x4 crit...

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

MikeyTsi posted:

I mean, it makes sense why the documentation and poo poo is necessary, but I ALREADY loving DID IT ONCE.

Technically twice now that I think about it, BoA hosed up the first time I sent them paperwork and never registered poo poo.

I realize that this a super late reply, but I had to do the same thing about my dad’s douse when he passed. BofA is the absolute worst to deal with. What I eventually ended up doing was continue to pay the current note, and then got a 10 yr loan with my credit union. Ended up with a 2.75% interest rate on a 10 yr fixed mortgage. But they kinda had to process it as a new loan, even though it was technically a refinance because my name was already on the deed. I never even bothered to fill out the paperwork for new company because I was so irate at BofA for selling the loan without even letting me know. Setarus I think was the company bought the loan? Doesn’t matter now, I just remember that it was such a royal pain in the rear end to have to keep faxing and calling. It was crazy. They could see that I sent the stuff but apparently it could only go to one department and of course they couldn’t share it to any of the others, but they all needed it, but couldn’t see it. God that was awful.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Vavrek posted:

NOPE.

I mean, it's fine, until the batteries go bad. Kind of like a gas mower is fine until the metering jet or the carb bowls get crudded up.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry folks, depression sucks. I've got some minor stuff I should hopefully get to posting tomorrow.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

MikeyTsi posted:

Sorry folks, depression sucks. I've got some minor stuff I should hopefully get to posting tomorrow.

Yep, depression can go gently caress itself! Been having a depression the last 8 months now, medication helps somewhat - but some of teh side effects are poo poo.

The thing is getting yourself to do stuff, I make a lot of plans, but can't really pull myself together enough to do them.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Finally got off my rear end and did something:

More detailed post probably tomorrow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did that sink try to kill you

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

did that sink kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, that's the after picture so I was successful,...

I guess I may as well post about it.

So, this is the "front" bathroom sink, it started leaking from the cold side a while ago so I had to turn off the feed. Finally decided to do something with it.

Getting the lines disconnected from the feed in the wall wasn't too hard, but in order to remove the faucet I ultimately had to pull the sink and flip it over.

Never gonna use this again.

Cleaned up around the holes a bit, probably the first time this has been in the open air in like 30 years.

Try as I might, I just could not break the drain loose. I guess two dissimilar metals plus 30 years welded them together but good.

Buuut, I have a solution for that :black101:

Metal blade made quick work of the ring

AAAND the sink. Whoops.

No problem, I just put some extra caulk in there to seal it. I'll probably change out the sink for a newer style at some point anyway.

And installed.

(I did clean the sink after this, just didn't take a picture).

I need to go back under and loosen the fittings for the faucet, the plastic base popped out when I was fastening it down so I need to adjust that. The rod for the drain stopper is also binding so I need to figure that out.

Bonus picture of my neighbor's cat hanging out on my roof.