Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

In conclusion, if a north German Holzkirchenhausen still exists, it was probably swallowed by a larger town or it changed its name between then and now. :shrug:
Dang. Thanks anyway. These people lived around Schmalkalden and Eschwege, and they were exchanging letters with members of Tilly's army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

You can also see what it looked like when someone wore a scarf and one of those big fancy collars at the same time...

Is the point of those frilly collars just to make your head look like a flower? Or is it a sort-of permiscarf for the a world without central heating?

If people had to spend more time outside in the winter, would the cape come back?

Also the recent Deus Ex games took art direction cues from early modern:

Admittedly this is a brown suit with texture but I love that shirt:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

Germans, if someone from the Werrathal, near Eschwege, says they come from "Holzkirchenhausen," can you find that on a map?

The one in Helmstadt?

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ho...757!4d9.6675992

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the thing is that as libliuni mentioned, all these examples are a long way away from eastern Hesse/western Thuringia, which is where most of these people came from. The army these civilians are writing to is Tilly's, so it would make sense for some of the soldiers to be from the south. (Some are French and Spanish as well--or at least french-speaking, they are probably from what is now belgium). But I'm not mapping place of origin in this article, I'm mapping location at the time the letter was written.

By doing this I can track how this company moved through the landscape, which is the thin end of the wedge for analyzing their interactions with the natural world. For instance, this company was most recently quartered in the town of Bad Sooden-Allendorf, but their soldiers are spread out as far as a camp outside the walls of Bielefeld, 96 miles to the northwest. They began moving out several months before these letters were written but many of them are still there. Therefore we can say that any kind of military movement except direct preparations for battle involve sprawling around the landscape from start to destination, like a slime mold--or like velcro with hooks, and each hook is a human being.

The officer this company belongs to is attempting to maintain some level of administrative control over this entire distance--from Allendorf. Messengers shuttle over this expanse--probably constantly, there are mentions in these letters of people getting mad their letters arrived late, which is only a thing you do if you expect they will arrive on time.

There are works about military procurement/supply/travel in the seventeenth century (it's all the same issue in this period), but I am unaware of any which attempt to analyze it at the company level, which for cavalry means just thirty fighting men.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2019

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/977855968364171264

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you think you can dominate the bad tweet escalation ladder....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hey this isn't the trump thread!

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
On the male fashion topic, behold this dazzling wonder Patton designed for the tank troops.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's a lot of buttons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ensign Expendable posted:

On the male fashion topic, behold this dazzling wonder Patton designed for the tank troops.

Hello there cheap 50s sci-fi flick uniform.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Always loved that pic, this dude is straight baller

look at his rapier's pommel

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fangz posted:

That's a lot of buttons.

That is too much buttons even for me.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The solution is worse than the problem.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Collective punishment only works if the collective can actually go and beat the offender with a soap in a sock.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

would it have been weird for grown men to walk around without hose or shoes in the 17th century? I feel like it would have been weird.

I guess if you're running through Irish bogs you'd probably lose normal shoes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dublish posted:

The solution is worse than the problem.

I didn't start this war.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Your posting is the equivalent of bombing a wedding in retaliation to a terror attack.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Hello there cheap 50s sci-fi flick uniform.

I always felt like shatner would have played a great Patton

Speaking of "shat"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

would it have been weird for grown men to walk around without hose or shoes in the 17th century? I feel like it would have been weird.

I guess if you're running through Irish bogs you'd probably lose normal shoes
these are english clothes worn like the irish would have worn them

sort of the english/irish version of these people,

don francisco de arobe and his sons pedro and domingo. don francisco jumped off the slave ship that was carrying him, swam to shore in what is now probably ecuador (?) and became a political leader
https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/the-mulatto-gentlement-of-esmeraldas/UgFH9aNclKDmgQ

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Squalid posted:

Technically it's late 16th c. I'm struggling to remember the exact source, but I've got a vague memory of some aristos in the 17th century going shooting in bare feet, presumably because they were in water or something.

But yeah, having your portrait painted in bare feet was weird, and I think pretty racy. Mens legs were very sexualised.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Mens legs were very sexualised.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

The football helmet thing actually seems like a pretty good idea for the inside of a tank, not that different from race helmets.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

norton I posted:

The football helmet thing actually seems like a pretty good idea for the inside of a tank, not that different from race helmets.

Except it was gilded, likely hot as gently caress and wouldve gotten scratched to metal like, Every 3 seconds or so

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beam me up, Monty!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Beam me up, Monty!

Read your book, Rommy

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Beam me up, Monty!

There was a version with a US armoured division insignia that was even trekkier.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Amazing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The dummy doesn't look thrilled.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

The dummy doesn't look thrilled.

You'd be grim too if you had to tell Lord Vader that you lost the Millennium Falcon in the asteroid field

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Valtonen posted:

Except it was gilded, likely hot as gently caress and wouldve gotten scratched to metal like, Every 3 seconds or so

and you know having a shiny helmet is an inspectable item.

god help you if your helmet ain't shiny

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There was a version with a US armoured division insignia that was even trekkier.

is that supposed to be post-crash patton, just propped up on a pole?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So why didn't they issue that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

So why didn't they issue that?

That be a fuckload of buttons sir

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I like my uniforms like I like my tanks.

Riveted.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

That be a fuckload of buttons sir

You'd need wehrmacht levels of tooth-to-tailor ratios to support that kind of gear

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

FAUXTON posted:

is that supposed to be post-crash patton, just propped up on a pole?

I think it literally is post-crash Patton, painted remotely flesh colored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

HEY GUNS posted:

The officer this company belongs to is attempting to maintain some level of administrative control over this entire distance--from Allendorf. Messengers shuttle over this expanse--probably constantly, there are mentions in these letters of people getting mad their letters arrived late, which is only a thing you do if you expect they will arrive on time.
They just send out letters when there's a big fight coming up?

Also, it's not the kind of angry that's like, "Stupid mail's late, like usual!"?