Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How do you pronounce Sean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sean Bean's name actually rhymes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Shorn Born?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Everyone employed as a developer at social media companies are useless. You aren't developing poo poo, you are just changing things because you have nothing else to do. None of the overhauls of facebook, twitter, youtube etc have improved the functionality. It's just changing it because otherwise they would have nothing to do.

That seems to be software development in general. It's a scam. Why not just do it right the first time? Oh, because you won't get paid for life if you don't intentionally include bugs that only you can fix. Computer programmers are scumbags and I am ashamed that I've recently become one of them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

It should clearly be spelled eirish.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's almost as if the whole social media thing is just a big scam built around exploiting the many weaknesses of our dumb as poo poo brains.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

How do you pronounce Sean

Oh, I thought you meant the word "Irish".

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It should clearly be spelled eirish.

More like ire-ish

Hehehe

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Everyone employed as a developer at social media companies are useless. You aren't developing poo poo, you are just changing things because you have nothing else to do. None of the overhauls of facebook, twitter, youtube etc have improved the functionality. It's just changing it because otherwise they would have nothing to do.

That seems to be software development in general. It's a scam. Why not just do it right the first time? Oh, because you won't get paid for life if you don't intentionally include bugs that only you can fix. Computer programmers are scumbags and I am ashamed that I've recently become one of them.

learn to code

wait, gently caress

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think you're right. I use a podcast app called pocketcast which works perfectly and is a completed finished product in my opinion. But no they have to keep updating it and having betas so they can keep giving employees something to do i guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tvtropes is dumb and I hate when people use language that originated there, like "lampshade"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shibawanko posted:

Tvtropes is dumb and I hate when people use language that originated there, like "lampshade"

I don’t know if TVTropes specifically invented the lampshade version of it, but “hang a lantern on it” to describe the same thing definitely predates the website.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

same. Sometimes goons will just Randomly Capitalize a Few Words, and almost inevitably they are using tvtropes talk without linking to it. It's just annoying.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: TVTropes is not just for TV, but all media/literature, and it's a helpful resource for writers/media scholars, even if the posters are obnoxious fuckstains.

'Lampshade' is a perfectly cromulent word, for example, and helpful for describing real-life instances of the phenomenon. I don't capitalise the word 'lampshade' when it isn't the first word of the sentence or a proper noun, though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

What do people have against lampshades?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oh no. I keep saying something is The Worst but I do it so I don't have to italicize. Is that bad? Has reading HST ruined me?!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What about when someone says that something is "the Scrappy"? Ugh.

Tubgoat posted:

PHUO: TVTropes is not just for TV, but all media/literature, and it's a helpful resource for writers/media scholars, even if the posters are obnoxious fuckstains.

Is it really useful for scholars though? I feel it has a subtle flattening effect that I don't like. There's something slightly obscene about creating a list of tropes from like, Othello and saying that Iago was Chaotic Evil and The Scrappy and so on. It only lists purely formal aspects of a work's content but doesn't address quality or medium. It reduces works to a series of plot elements.

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Mar 23, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

That is stupid and I will not use that term.

quote:

Is it really useful for scholars though? I feel it has a subtle flattening effect that I don't like. There's something slightly obscene about creating a list of tropes from like, Othello and saying that Iago was Chaotic Evil and The Scrappy and so on. It only lists purely formal aspects of a work's content but doesn't address quality or medium. It reduces works to a series of plot elements.
Scholars are those who study and research anything for any reason, not just transactionally. And I think the blame for things being reduced to a series of plot elements are the fault of works being reduceable to plot elements.

Science has a flattening effect on knowledge of the world around us, or rather, science as submissive to Capital.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

It's supposed to be encyclopedic which means it's supposed to be neutral. The point of it was to define and catalog tropes and that's it; it isn't supposed to try to judge whether anything they're cataloging is good or bad. The quality of any particular work can be debated until the end of time as there is a lot of subjectivity in that kind of thing. Somewhere they even said that it isn't necessarily a bad thing for a story to use a trope; nothing can be 100% original and the purpose of the site wasn't really to say "tropes are bad don't use them" or become a mock site. It's just "this story uses these tropes, this character is a good example of this trope" and what have you. Once again it's meant to be encyclopedic. That makes it totally fine to just reduce a work to a series of plot elements; the site is explicitly not about debating the merits or quality of anything they're analyzing. Whether or not you enjoy anything they analyze is entirely up to you.

How that kind of site developed a community with such a horrid reputation is a mystery to me.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

phuo: yellow yoshi is better than red, blue, and green. the logic is simple: there are no cool fire breathing or winged bad guys, but there is a cool bad guy who thwomps. it's name is Thwomp. and since yellow yoshi is the thwomp-iest, yellow yoshi is best

thank you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm sure authors really find it useful to read through hundreds of entries on somebody's fanfiction that don't even fit the trope on hand

I mean even in best case scenario, Tv Tropes is totally useless as a tool because it doesn't do any analysis, it just lists poo poo uncritically, alongside a paragraph or two of completely unhelpful surface level description of the trope. Reading TV tropes probably actively makes you worse at understanding media.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People being all "oh man, I'm gonna turn off the internet when Evangelion goes up on Netflix, I won't be able to handle all the bad takes" are being dumb, The young people of today are gonna intuitively understand Evangelion way better than the previous generation did

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jordan Peele is not a good horror movie director. He is making decent movies, but they are more social commentary things than actual horror. Like Get Out is just not scary. It has extremely lame jump scares (the part with the running dude is just embarrassing to watch) and just gets kind of stupid in the second half. Like the auction thing was just so over the top, like at every point he doesn't trust the audience to "get" his point so he beats you over the head with it until the very end.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

People being all "oh man, I'm gonna turn off the internet when Evangelion goes up on Netflix, I won't be able to handle all the bad takes" are being dumb, The young people of today are gonna intuitively understand Evangelion way better than the previous generation did

Evangelion is garbage and I think the only reason it ever got to be so famous is because of the really nice animation.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Evangelion is popular because there was basically nothing else at the time. It's pretty garbage imo.

E: overall garbage that is, there are plenty of good parts, but that is often the case with garbage media

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Evangelion is really good.

starkebn posted:

Evangelion is popular because there was basically nothing else at the time.

What? there was a ton of great mecha shows in the mid 90s. Evangelion started the year that G Gundam and Macross 7 ended, ran concurrently with Gundam Wing, and ended the year that Martian Successor Nadesico, Escaflowne, and Gundam 08th MS Team began

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Evangelion was just available in the West more readily than those other shows you list. At that time you watched what was being pushed in your region.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

starkebn posted:

Evangelion was just available in the West more readily than those other shows you list. At that time you watched what was being pushed in your region.

Evangelion was huge in Japan. That's why it got pushed in other regions.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I don't like evangelion, but I appreciate that it exists

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

starkebn posted:

I definitely remember Gundam Wing and G Gundam being available as gently caress in my West.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jordan Peele is not a good horror movie director. He is making decent movies, but they are more social commentary things than actual horror. Like Get Out is just not scary. It has extremely lame jump scares (the part with the running dude is just embarrassing to watch) and just gets kind of stupid in the second half. Like the auction thing was just so over the top, like at every point he doesn't trust the audience to "get" his point so he beats you over the head with it until the very end.

He had to pick cotton to save his life. I got stared at in the theater when I started laughing at that moment because I figured everyone got the joke.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sure authors really find it useful to read through hundreds of entries on somebody's fanfiction that don't even fit the trope on hand

I mean even in best case scenario, Tv Tropes is totally useless as a tool because it doesn't do any analysis, it just lists poo poo uncritically, alongside a paragraph or two of completely unhelpful surface level description of the trope. Reading TV tropes probably actively makes you worse at understanding media.

Media literacy and critical analysis is a separate skill entirely, and Americans (maybe others too?) specifically are wholly terrible at it, that's not TVTropes's fault.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tubgoat posted:

Media literacy and critical analysis is a separate skill entirely, and Americans (maybe others too?) specifically are wholly terrible at it, that's not TVTropes's fault.

No, but Tvtropes is the direct result of a lack of media literacy and critical analysis. The whole point of the site is to reduce art into a collection identifiable pieces you can use to construct a story without having to go through a creative process.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

He had to pick cotton to save his life. I got stared at in the theater when I started laughing at that moment because I figured everyone got the joke.

I mean, I liked it, but I just didn't get it when people started calling it (and now Us) "instant horror classics", best horror movie ever, etc. And I know it's not the only movie that tries to do social commentary, like all the old slashers taught us that sex+drugs will get teenagers brutally murdered by monsters...it's just that, despite funny moments like that, it feels like it's a little too self-important.

All that said, it's at least better than It Follows. Everything I said above about it smugly beating you on the head with its metaphors is cranked up to 100 with that movie. Especially the scenes that are supposed to be scary but are just funny, like the STD monster guy watching them drive away on the roof. What was he doing up there? Since when does it stand still? And all of those kids deserved to die for coming up with the dumbest monster trap i can remember seeing in a horror movie. They make it out like they had some foolproof plan but when the thing shows up, they just panic and everything goes to poo poo.

e: while i'm making GBS threads on popular movies, can't leave out hereditary or the babadook.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Mar 24, 2019

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
whatever would we do without media literates

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I won about 250 € betting on MMA with a ~50 € stake (Pettis, Markos, Barber by KO). There are very few things as exciting as watching a fight you got money on. Betting on fights is good for you. It's good harmless fun that can really lift up your soul. :angel:

doverhog has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 24, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

I won about 250 € betting on MMA with a ~50 € stake (Pettis, Markos, Barber by KO). There are very few things as exciting as watching a fight you got money on. Betting on fights is good for you. It's good harmless fun that can really lift up your soul. :angel:

ok mister mcmahon

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

it's only fun when you win. Then you lose your first few hundred, and then, naturally the next step is to keep betting bigger and bigger to get back to even, which never happens.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's in no way addictive, or acting as a replacement for true meaning in life. What could possibly make a person happier than guessing who is gonna win a sporting match correctly, and getting trading credits as a reward. No such thing, certainly no spirit or mystery could do it.

it's only fun when you win. Then you lose your first few hundred, and then, naturally the next step is to keep betting bigger and bigger to get back to even, which never happens.

I've done both, and consider money put in already lost before the fact. That way I can never fail my "budget" due to betting.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

aside from my yearly 40 dollar ncaa bracket thing I do with friends, I just stay away from gambling entirely. I don't have low interest student loans to cover my losses anymore.