Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what exactly sets Your Name apart from your regular mountain of crappy teen romance animes and what lessons does it teach that its imitators will inevitably ignore?

A lot of sort-of-supernatural stuff and Shinto imagery, a deep point that you can sort of see coming but doesn't take the edge off of it happening, and then a brilliant ending to the entire thing.

Not trying to be spoiler heavy on it, but it hosed me up, not as badly as Grave of the Fireflies, but pretty badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Comparing it to Grave of the Fireflies isn't exactly a good thing in my case because that movie couldn't be more blatantly emotionally manipulative if it tried. The movie fell completely flat for me because I'm not a teenage Japanese hoodlum circa 1988.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The animation in it is pretty drat gorgeous if you're into that kinda thing. There's a particularly stylized portion that's a little around the middle of the film that I adore.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Arcsquad12 posted:

Comparing it to Grave of the Fireflies isn't exactly a good thing in my case because that movie couldn't be more blatantly emotionally manipulative if it tried. The movie fell completely flat for me because I'm not a teenage Japanese hoodlum circa 1988.

Oh word

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hugh Jackman recieved real adamantium treatments.

He also had to learn what the gently caress wolverines are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yeah I'm not big on Takahata's Ghibli output. But anyways, is Your Name particularly well told? Does it have something meaningful to say or is it broadcasting a "we want to make you cry be sad now" ending? Quirky teenage drama anime is a minefield so I'd rather get a goon appraisal before I decide if I'm going to dive in.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Mar 19, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

couldcareless posted:

The animation in it is pretty drat gorgeous if you're into that kinda thing. There's a particularly stylized portion that's a little around the middle of the film that I adore.

Do you believe that specific person you are making up for your example is the only person that movie speaks to?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Makes me so happy to hear people talking about Fireflies like this. The climax fell totally flat for me. It’s trying SO HARD.

Love Only Yesterday tho

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah I'm not big on Takahata's Ghibli output. But anyways, is Your Name particularly well told? Does it have something meaningful to say or is it broadcasting a "we want to make you cry be sad now" ending? Quirky teenage drama anime is a minefield so I'd rather get a goon appraisal before I decide if I'm going to dive in.

It's not an ending that is the big sad moment, at least not in the typical "feel sad now" way.

There's no real worry about "diving in" with the story since it's only a 110 minute long animated feature, at most you'll feel like you've gone through two hours of your time. I can't recommend it enough, but i'm piss poor at explaining things without spoilering a whole bunch, but the synopsis of "two teenagers swap bodies, hijinx ensue" is really misleading.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo the body swap stuff was, that one creepy running joke aside, so much better than what the movie turned into

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Would it be better if we mentioned one of the leads was a well respected critic of high class animes?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

this thread has convinced me to watch it

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Based on the thread rec a few days ago, I watched it the night before last. While I thought I knew what the "oh it's gonna be a sad ending" would be, it ended up punching me right in the gut in a different way. The animation was also quite beautiful, just about every scene had something I'd gladly get a print of and put up as An Art.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grave of fireflies legit is the only thing that’s made me cry and I work at a baby and puppy murdering factory

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched Perfect Blue the other night and it was the last of the big three Kon films I've seen, I think I watched them in reverse order. There's a bunch of small stuff I will have to inspect due to it turning out you are watching Rumi at times and Mima at others without realising.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

oldpainless posted:

Grave of fireflies legit is the only thing that’s made me cry and I work at a baby and puppy murdering factory

More like oldpainless.

Wait...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think my favourite Satoshi Kon movie is actually Magnetic Rose, though it's really more of a collaborative project than his baby alone.

I watched The Wolf Brigade on Netflix and despite following most of the same plot beats as Jin-Roh it is a tonally different beast. So I went back to watch Jin-Roh to compare it, and since Jin-Roh has so little dialogue it relies heavily on visuals and audio to convey its messages. One thing I caught this time is when Fuse kills Kei. He starts to break down as she recites the last lines of Red Riding Hood, and just as she says "Mother what big teeth you have" he grits his teeth, bearing them like a wolf, just as he kills her. It's a great moment where animation and dialogue synergize and watching a thousand emotions rush across Fuse's normally blank expression is heartbreaking.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Mar 19, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I also cry at the end of Millennium Actress though so take that Into account I guess.

Paprika, despite being my favorite Satoshi Kon movie simply for the art and cinematography, has the least emotional impact IMO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love all of Kon’s flicks but I think Millennium Actress is my favourite. It’s so fantastic. Paranoia Agent is his best overall work though, in my opinion.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Paprika, Tokyo Godfather's, and Perfect Blue all elicit very diff things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perfect Blue's ending gives you tonal whiplash the moment that upbeat pop song starts blasting over the credits.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I showed Paprika to friends recently and they lost it when Detective Konakawa gets over his issues and "The End" pops up thinking that was actually how it ends. That's how I felt for like the last 20 or 30 minutes of Perfect Blue lol

For a subtle moment albeit from a show

In the first episode of Death Note when Light is testing it out on a second person he only hears their name he doesn't see it written down like pretty much every other one. Because of that you see he has a bunch of alternate spellings for the name beforehand.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Escobarbarian posted:

I love all of Kon’s flicks but I think Millennium Actress is my favourite. It’s so fantastic. Paranoia Agent is his best overall work though, in my opinion.

I would absolutely buy Paranoia Agent if someone would rerelease it over here.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I cry whenever somebody watches anime.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perfect Blue's ending gives you tonal whiplash the moment that upbeat pop song starts blasting over the credits.

I feel the same way about Battle Royale. All your classmates are dead and you're being hunted by the government...so lets rap over this Sheryl Crow guitar?

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what exactly sets Your Name apart from your regular mountain of crappy teen romance animes and what lessons does it teach that its imitators will inevitably ignore?

It's a film about genuine empathy and connection. Two very different people are forced to work with each other, learning about their lives so that the body-switching works to their advantage. They grow as people and their personalities develop for the better, because they have different perspectives they integrate (consciously or not) into their day-to-day. It extends beyond "gee, who knew being in the country would be so tough?" or "wow, maybe Tokyo is a little too busy and flashy for my tastes after all".

It's brisk and energetic, the music kicks rear end, there are genuine stakes outside of just "will they get together and kiss", and the animation is excellent.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Paprika is the baby felt friend on Blue’s Clues

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watched Get Out there finally. Near the end when Chris is in the chamber beside the surgical room he uses cotton to plug his ears to avoid being put back in a trance. He find the cotton in the armrest of the chair he's strapped too that's been fray open by a clawing motion he'd been doing in his sleep. It's the same motion he made at the start of the film when he was craving a cigarette and ofc after his first time in the sunken place he hadn't been smoking so his body was craving nicotine. So the Armitage's were undone by that small thing.

Also during Chris' time in the holding cell Jim Hudson tells him he's not like the others and their fetishisation/oppression of black people but he still calls him "man" which is something highlighted earlier with Dean by Rose.

I feel they're lowkey enough to be subtle but I have a strong brain disease holding back my most febrile thoughts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Watched Get Out there finally. Near the end when Chris is in the chamber beside the surgical room he uses cotton to plug his ears to avoid being put back in a trance. He find the cotton in the armrest of the chair he's strapped too that's been fray open by a clawing motion he'd been doing in his sleep. It's the same motion he made at the start of the film when he was craving a cigarette and ofc after his first time in the sunken place he hadn't been smoking so his body was craving nicotine. So the Armitage's were undone by that small thing.

You could almost say that he picked the cotton

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Chris

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Escobarbarian posted:

Holy poo poo

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Escobarbarian posted:

Reported.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It's not even a new one

e: but in Pat voice

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Escobarbarian posted:

You could, and you should, because it was entirely intentional (5.56)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm listening to Kumail Nanjiani's The X-Files Files podcast (it's a mouthfull). There is a nice "subtle" theme running all over the "Clyde Bruckman's final repose" episode (always found in all the "top episodes of the X-Files" lists).

Plot (spoilering a 25+ year old tv episode):

From Wikipedia:
St. Paul, Minnesota: in a store, Clyde Bruckman (Peter Boyle), a life insurance salesman, purchases a paper and a lottery ticket and leaves. In the street, he almost bumps into an inconspicuous man (Stuart Charno), who heads to a gypsy palm reader named Madame Zelma (Karin Konoval). After seeking his fortune, the inconspicuous man attacks and kills her. A few days later, the eyes and entrails of a tea leaf reader, who was also a doll collector, have been found in her apartment, her body being missing. FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) arrive at the scene of that murder to help the local cops, who have recruited the help of a psychic, the eccentric Stupendous Yappi (Jaap Broeker). Although the psychic delivers extremely vague clues, the cops are thoroughly impressed; both Scully and Mulder, however, are not, especially after Yappi diagnoses that it is Mulder—not Scully—who is a skeptic.

Meanwhile, after Bruckman takes the trash out for his neighbor, he discovers the body of Madame Zelma outside in his dumpster. When interviewed by Mulder and Scully, he reveals details about the crime that he could not have known from the media accounts, which causes Mulder to believe that Bruckman has psychic ability. Mulder insists that Bruckman join them in a visit to the crime scene at the doll collector's apartment. Thanks to seemingly psychically gained information from Bruckman, her body is soon found in a nearby lake.

At the police station, Mulder tests Bruckman's ability by having him handle various objects to see what they "tell" him. It becomes apparent that Bruckman's only real psychic talent is an ability to see details of people's deaths. Scully arrives with a key chain bearing the insignia of an investment company that uses astrology to make financial predictions, taken from the doll collector's body - the same key chain was found on two of the other dead fortunetellers. Bruckman knows that the firm is owned by one Claude Dukenfield, not through a psychic revelation but because he coincidentally sold the man an insurance policy recently. He says that Mulder and Scully will not be able to talk to Dukenfield though, because he has been murdered.

Mulder and Scully drive Bruckman to a wooded spot where Bruckman has said they will find Dukenfield's body. As they tromp through the woods, Bruckman explains how he gained his ability following the death of Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper in a plane crash. Bruckman cannot pinpoint the exact spot where the body is, however, so they return to the parked car, where they see a lifeless hand sticking out of the wet mud underneath. Traces of silk fibers are subsequently found on Dukenfield similar to fibers found on previous victims - they are later analyzed and found to be from lace.

At his home Bruckman has gotten a note from the killer saying he is going to die when they first meet, and telling him to say "hi" to the FBI agents. The killer apparently also has some psychic ability - the postmark is dated before Bruckman joined the murder investigation. Bruckman describes Mulder's death as the killer sees it: getting his throat slit by the killer after stepping in a pie in a kitchen. However Bruckman tells Mulder he's not able to see what happens afterwards. Meanwhile, the inconspicuous man consults a tarot card reader (Alex Diakun), who says that the killer seeks answers from "a man with special wisdom" and that his confusion will soon abruptly end "with the arrival of a woman - a blonde or a brunette, possibly a redhead." When there is just one card left unturned, the killer says that it is not meant for him but for the reader, and turns it over to reveal the "death" card.

Since the killer knows Bruckman's home address, the agents bring him to a hotel where they take turns guarding him. While Scully does not believe in Bruckman's power, the two develop a fast friendship. Scully asks Bruckman if he can see his own end. He replies that he can see their end—that they will end up in bed together, in a very special moment neither of them will ever forget. This reinforces her skepticism. Bruckman asks Scully why she is not interested in knowing how she will die. Scully finally asks him to tell her, to which Bruckman, joyfully, but cryptically, replies, "You don't."

A detective named Havez (Dwight McFee) takes over as Bruckman's guard when Mulder and Scully are called to investigate yet another new murder victim: the tarot card reader. As they leave they bump into a bellhop who is delivering food to Bruckman's room. The bellhop is actually the killer, and when he enters the room (while Havez is in the washroom), he is delighted to discover that Bruckman has been brought right to where he works. As he is about to kill Bruckman, Havez re-enters and the killer attacks and kills him instead. Meanwhile, Scully finds the same silk fiber at the new crime scene, and realizing that the bellhop had it on his tray, deduces that he is the murderer. They rush back to the hotel. Mulder chases the killer to the basement kitchen and the scene plays out as described in Bruckman's earlier premonition, but when the killer attacks Mulder, Scully arrives in the nick of time and shoots him—what Bruckman had seen was the dying killer's last thoughts, not Mulder's death.

Unable to find Bruckman in the hotel, Mulder and Scully return to Bruckman's apartment to find that Bruckman has committed suicide; Scully sees a plastic bag has been tied around his head, and that he is clutching a bottle of pills in his hand. Scully sits on Bruckman's bed holding his hand, deeply moved, just as he had predicted. That night Scully sees a commercial for the Stupendous Yappi on TV, causing her to throw her phone at it.[3]

The subtle theme:

In a show with a protagonist (Mulder) being obsessed by getting answers - and an undying conviction that getting said answers will bring him peace - the people that actually have all the answers are torn and made miserable by them, with both of them becoming victims of their own knowledge.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Any episode written by Darin Morgan is insanely good. "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" is legitimately one of the best episodes ever made and almost justifies the existence of the two new seasons. Which is made more amusing by it being about begging Chris Carter to stop making X-Files episodes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

EmmyOk posted:

Also during Chris' time in the holding cell Jim Hudson tells him he's not like the others and their fetishisation/oppression of black people but he still calls him "man" which is something highlighted earlier with Dean by Rose.

I feel they're lowkey enough to be subtle but I have a strong brain disease holding back my most febrile thoughts

Nah, I think the clawing was the same motion he did as kid watching TV waiting for his dying mom

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

1stGear posted:

Any episode written by Darin Morgan is insanely good. "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" is legitimately one of the best episodes ever made and almost justifies the existence of the two new seasons. Which is made more amusing by it being about begging Chris Carter to stop making X-Files episodes.

It was really good, yeah.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Major Us spoilers:

I've seen a lot of people seemingly upset about the very end, acting like there was no buildup to it at all...but literally the whole third act dangles it in your face with the Hands Across America thing. Nothing we see from their encounter in 1986 should have included anything about Hands Across America, and obviously the shirt in the shrine came from somewhere (and they're really hoping nobody remembers what she put the Thriller shirt on over in the beginning).

Plus, the whole movie only works at all if Red Adelaide has some knowledge of the outside world past the existence of doppelgangers. She organized the frenzied half-people into essentially an army and is the only one able to speak. It's seriously there the whole time and makes even her unease at the beach earlier way more understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
A few other things for Us:

We see the bible verse Jeremiah 11:11. The bible verse has thematic value, but the 11:11 can be read as parallel lines, referencing the parallels between the upper and lower worlds. We also see the parallel lines with the recurring Black Flag logos.

The logo of hands across America is the country literally being divided in half by its people.