Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zekrom is REX, Reshiram is RAY, Genesect is the Shagohod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Beldum line is the most robotic pokemon, followed closely by the Golett line and Magearna, but Zygarde-Complete is the most super robotic.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Metang and Registeel I'd say are more "made of metal" than true robots. Golurk is kind of the opposite where he isn't mechanical or metal, but is very obviously meant to invoke such. Magearna it seems is the only one that seems to fulfill my completely objective and not at all pedantic criteria.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Where does Porygon and its ilk fit in?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zuzie posted:

Where does Porygon and its ilk fit in?

As the worlds foremost expert on what counts as a Robot. I'd say some kind of electromagnetic virtual entity, thus not a robot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Magearna might be implied to be the first fully robotic Pokemon, while Golett more raises the questions of where golems call in this dichotomy. (Golems do have a lot of precedent for robot myths, including raising the question of whether their labour will destroy the economy, and they are basically 'programmed' with text) Interesting and funny that we have at least one confirmed robot trainer.

That said, we also have a lot of trainers with psychic powers too. Why can't we play one of those?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That said, we also have a lot of trainers with psychic powers too. Why can't we play one of those?
Well, the player is the only person to immediately understand what Pokemon their opponents will use next and switch out in that moment...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Well, the player is the only person to immediately understand what Pokemon their opponents will use next and switch out in that moment...

Turning that poo poo off is the closest thing the games get to a hard mode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like that you can tailor-make your own various challenges though

Nuzlocke, item budget, monotype, wonderlocke, etc...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My challenge as a kid was to never use a TM on any Pokemon.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That’s not a challenge, that’s proper fear of single use, rare items.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just turn it off by default so that it is one less B to hammer, it adds up. :v:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the new type should be Cosmic. pokemon from outer space or other planets. they already have a couple right?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

psychic is the space type

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Gay Horney posted:

they already have a couple right?

yes

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

They don't add new types unless one type is dominating all the rest. Psychic was so broken in Gen 1 that that they introduced 2 types to balance them out: Dark, which is immune to psychic and does super effective damage and Steel, which only takes half damage from psychic attacks. The two types are also weak against the Fighting type, which needed a buff the most. Dragons were originally supposed to be the powerful but rare type but as more of them were introduced, they became a dominant force by Gen 5. So the Fairy type was introduced that were to them as Dark was to Psychics. They also are weak to Poison and Steel, which were kind of bad as offensive typings.

As of right now there's no typing that's an easy answer for everything.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gay Horney posted:

the new type should be Cosmic. pokemon from outer space or other planets. they already have a couple right?

Your homework assignment is to list the advantages and disadvantages that Cosmic typing would have against other types, and explain the reasoning behind each one.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Zuzie posted:

They don't add new types unless one type is dominating all the rest. Psychic was so broken in Gen 1 that that they introduced 2 types to balance them out: Dark, which is immune to psychic and does super effective damage and Steel, which only takes half damage from psychic attacks. The two types are also weak against the Fighting type, which needed a buff the most. Dragons were originally supposed to be the powerful but rare type but as more of them were introduced, they became a dominant force by Gen 5. So the Fairy type was introduced that were to them as Dark was to Psychics. They also are weak to Poison and Steel, which were kind of bad as offensive typings.

As of right now there's no typing that's an easy answer for everything.

Another reason why Gen 1 Psychic was broken is that the types that were super-effective against it, Ghost and Bug, didn't have any real strong damaging moves (later generations fixed this). It also didn't help that all the Ghost types and half of the Bug types in the game were also part Poison, which Psychic is super-effective against.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The number of Psychic types with a space theme is getting a bit goofy but there's no real need for a new Type at this point. Biggest priority is probably buffing up the weakest types like Ice.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wyvernil posted:

the types that were super-effective against it, Ghost

Psychic was immune to Ghost in gen I.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Was it? Or was it the only ghost line at the time was half poison and that tripped it up. I'm serious I don't even remember. Also I just got a shiny Roserade in so if anybody wants that it's up for grabs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

less laughter posted:

Psychic was immune to Ghost in gen I.

This was a bug, but even if the game was functioning as designed Ghost had Night Shade (fixed damage), Lick (20 base power) and, er...

Flopsy posted:

Was it? Or was it the only ghost line at the time was half poison and that tripped it up.

This too. Bug-type fared a little better, in that Jolteon had high Special and was one of only two pokemon to learn Pin Missile.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We need a new typing to really bully Ice and shove it in a locker!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flopsy posted:

Was it? Or was it the only ghost line at the time was half poison and that tripped it up.

No it was literally immune, try it out for yourself with Lick if you don't believe it.

Psychic went from one weakness in gen I (Bug) to three in gen II (Bug, Ghost, Dark).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mierenneuker posted:

We need a new typing to really bully Ice and shove it in a locker!

Due to Global Warming every other type is going to slowly get worse for ice anyway.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

No it was literally immune, try it out for yourself with Lick if you don't believe it.

Psychic went from one weakness in gen I (Bug) to three in gen II (Bug, Ghost, Dark).

No I believe you, it's just been over 20 years since I played a first gen game so I couldn't remember for the life of me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I like how Ghost used to be Physical and Dark used to be Special even though none of the relevant moves or mons reflected that, and then when Gen 4 rolled around they swapped almost literally every Ghost/Dark move to the opposite damage type like they should have been in the first place. Thanks Gen 1 Lick for ruining mons like Sneasel for several gens.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 23, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When Gold/Silver came out, was anyone surprised to discover that Magnemite and Magneton became steel type?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I had a dream that the new game had a new type called “Jump” and Charmander and Charmeleon were retconned into being Fire/Jump.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mraagvpeine posted:

When Gold/Silver came out, was anyone surprised to discover that Magnemite and Magneton became steel type?

I was more surprised voltorb wasn't also made steel type.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Dienes posted:

I was more surprised voltorb wasn't also made steel type.

I always thought that they were made out of some sort of plastic, which explained why it wasn't a steel type.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's made of flesh and feels unsettling to the touch.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I like how Ghost used to be Physical and Dark used to be Special even though none of the relevant moves or mons reflected that, and then when Gen 4 rolled around they swapped almost literally every Ghost/Dark move to the opposite damage type like they should have been in the first place. Thanks Gen 1 Lick for ruining mons like Sneasel for several gens.

Yep. All the damage-dealing Dark moves in Gens 2 and 3 were flavored as physical dirty fighting rather than blasts of black energy. The moves that actually were flavored as blasts of black energy (Night Shade and Shadow Ball) were Ghost-type. Dark finally got a blast of black energy in Gen 4 with Dark Pulse, and it was the only Special Dark move in Gen 4.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Pokemon is such a good series for being fun to such a wide range of people with it's many friends and ways to set em up.
Game good, can't wait to get Grookey and hang with a full monkey team.

Edit: Did they show starter evos before release of the previous games?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vapor Moon posted:

Did they show starter evos before release of the previous games?

Yes, always

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dabir posted:

This too. Bug-type fared a little better, in that Jolteon had high Special and was one of only two pokemon to learn Pin Missile.

The gen 1 Pokemon, even in the remakes are so bad about this. The type matching Pokemon for the best move is often just terribly statted so you do more damage without the STAB.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Psychic Pokemon being from space is fitting given Psychic is basically The Force.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As long as I still know every pokemon, I will never be old.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

As long as I still know every pokemon, I will never be old.
I won't ever be old but I am at least middle aged because I frequently forget the names of mid-stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/throrok/status/1109817788544110597