Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How the gently caress do I even try to remove this thermostat?

One of the two bolts holding it on is located here:

The other is buried behind that big rear end bracket, and cannot be reached without first loosening the upper hose clamp and moving the hose. The screw on the hose clamp is, of course, jammed up against the block where it too is inaccessible. You can't get a wrench on either one, you can't get at it with an extension because there's other poo poo in the way. Like there must be some 6-dimensional hypertorus wrench or something that they used to install this thing. Who designs this poo poo? Christ.

The haynes book, as always, is just like "unbolt alternator, unbolt thermostat housing, installation is the reverse" with no images or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If the alternator is out seems like you wouldn't need to worry about the bracket? :dunno:

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The piece you’re looking for is a lower cladding.

75741-35130-E0 is the right rear door cladding I believe.
75653-35100-E0 is for the quarter panel. Not sure what color that 4Runner is exactly but both of those parts are for bronze.

I’m on mobile so it’s a little harder to verify.

Thats very helpful thank you. It's silver btw.

Looks like the -B0 is what i need

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

Thats very helpful thank you. It's silver btw.

Looks like the -B0 is what i need

Just be aware the color may not match exactly since that 4Runner has had 11 years to bake in the sun.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

kid sinister posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302145&pagenumber=45&perpage=40

That thread always dies back around winter time except for the odd snowblower post. There's somewhat the Tools thread over in DIY. They've been talking about electric string trimmers lately.

Thanks, that thread is locked but I'll try DIY.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Thanks, that thread is locked but I'll try DIY.

Push, rider, self-propelled, etc?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Javid posted:

How the gently caress do I even try to remove this thermostat?

There is a complete removal of the alternator in your future.

Following that, all will be revealed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oh hey, the one mechanical operation on this tub I have extensive practice at! Except it's also the one I hate the most. Thanks, fellow Dodge sufferer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Push, rider, self-propelled, etc?

I guess I'll just duplicate the post here.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a zero turn lawn mower. We have an old 42" Craftsman that was fine for a little over an acre, but we moved to 3 acres and it takes at least 3-4 hours now to mow.

Been looking at the 54" range, and would like to keep it under $3,000 if we can. My grandpa and dad are brand loyal to Cub Cadet so I was leaning toward the RZTL54FAB, but there's also a Husqvarna Z254 in a local store that looks good.

Long and short of it though is that I don't have a great grasp of why I would prefer one over the other, or e.g. a John Deere or whatever, aside from price.

Also when's a good time in the spring to wait for sales? Memorial Day maybe?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 2008 Kia, manual transmission is having a little bit of difficulty starting sometimes. This started last winter. When it was really cold and I turned the key, the electricity would turn on, but the car wouldn't start. If I took the key out, took my foot off the clutch and redid it, it would eventually start after a try or two. It only seemed to happen when it was cold. I also took the key off my key-ring so there wasn't a lot of extra weight pulling down on the keys. I'm not 100% sure which actions would make it start, the re-push of the clutch or the re insertion and turn of the key.

This winter it didn't act up as bad initially, but its acting up again even though its not as cold. Now it seems like if I turn my key, the electricity turns on in the car and there's a few seconds of hesitation(no engine sounds at all) and then the engine starts. The battery is relatively new. I think its about 3 years old. I am looking at things I can try/investigate to see why this is happening before I take it to a shop. While I need to keep this car running, I don't want to throw a lot of money at it. I drive it about 100 miles a week at the most and I don't work over the summer so it hardly gets driven then. I think I put about 3000 miles on it last year. I just need it to hold on long enough to pay off my husband's car so I can get a new one.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
How old is the battery (it has a sticker with a date on it) and how do the connections work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably the battery based on you saying "when cold out".

Second would be the clutch pedal sensor.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Very specific stupid question:

In July 2017 I got a speeding ticket in New Jersey, the very week I was selling my car and moving to California.

I just bought another car in California and the ticket is still on my record and is driving my insurance up. Is it possible to still take one of those driving courses to knock it off? Can I do it while I'm in California? My insurance lady with AAA wasn't any help about this and just said she "wasn't sure".

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh, usually there's a timeframe to do it in, set by the state, and associated with a higher penalty fee. Ex: $200 speeding ticket, or $300 to the courthouse instead with a driving course and one year deferment.

So probably not?

Tickets are on a 3 year cycle I think, which means you're closer to getting it dropped than anything.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Unmature posted:

In July 2017 I got a speeding ticket in New Jersey, the very week I was selling my car and moving to California.

I just bought another car in California and the ticket is still on my record and is driving my insurance up. Is it possible to still take one of those driving courses to knock it off? Can I do it while I'm in California? My insurance lady with AAA wasn't any help about this and just said she "wasn't sure".

Usually a safe driver's course won't wipe a speeding ticket off your record, but your insurer may offer you a discount for completing a course that will offset part or all of the rate increase. Maybe call back and phrase the question differently?

Also there's more going on here than just the inclusion of a speeding ticket on your record - new vehicle and new state are going to factor in to rates as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Unmature posted:

If you didn’t do anything about the ticket then, or just paid the fine, it’s a guilty plea and it’s on your record. In July of 2010 you could ask your insurance company to remove it from your record, even if you’re mid-term on your policy.

Geoj posted:

Also there's more going on here than just the inclusion of a speeding ticket on your record - new vehicle and new state are going to factor in to rates as well.

Also, this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My (new to me) 2007 Lexus LS460 has been doing this annoying brake squawking/barking thing, even when the car is stopped. It's a known problem with the brake actuator, however the replacement part is around $1900 at the dealer or ~$1200 on ebay (supposedly new, but I worry about spending $1k+ on an ebay part). The TSB says bleeding the actuator may fix the problem, and either way I need Toyota's Techstream software to zero the pressure on the actuator to do any kind of work on it.

There are tons of cheap cables for Techstream on Amazon / ebay, but it looks like a lot of the cable + software combos are just cracked versions of Techstream. If that's all I need, great, but if you pay for Toyota's tech site it looks like you get access to legit Techstream software for $65 for 2 days' worth of access. However, I'm not sure if that will work with knockoff cables, or require some expensive cable.

Tl;dr - what's the cheapest but reliable way to get Techstream access?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Unmature posted:

You are dealing with NJ. Chances are they will be more than happy than to accept your funds. But cripes, should have dealt with it sooner.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

MomJeans420 posted:

My (new to me) 2007 Lexus LS460 has been doing this annoying brake squawking/barking thing, even when the car is stopped. It's a known problem with the brake actuator, however the replacement part is around $1900 at the dealer or ~$1200 on ebay (supposedly new, but I worry about spending $1k+ on an ebay part). The TSB says bleeding the actuator may fix the problem, and either way I need Toyota's Techstream software to zero the pressure on the actuator to do any kind of work on it.

There are tons of cheap cables for Techstream on Amazon / ebay, but it looks like a lot of the cable + software combos are just cracked versions of Techstream. If that's all I need, great, but if you pay for Toyota's tech site it looks like you get access to legit Techstream software for $65 for 2 days' worth of access. However, I'm not sure if that will work with knockoff cables, or require some expensive cable.

Tl;dr - what's the cheapest but reliable way to get Techstream access?

Those $15 ebay cables and pirated techstream software. I think you need a 32 bit windows install for some of them to work.

If you do the toyota thing through their website you need an official mongoose cable or whatever its called.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hmmm the official cables are $500 or more, I see a pirated version and an old laptop in my future

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Hmmm the official cables are $500 or more, I see a pirated version and an old laptop in my future

An old laptop is convenient, but I run all of that crap in virtual machines (like the free version of virtualbox) and just "pass through" the usb cable. That way I have a nice clean place for each of the various ones I run and messing with one doesn't break the other. Sometimes just being up to date with windows update past a certain point will break this crap, so my VMs are just dumpster fires of security vulnerabilities and old poo poo because once it works I just stop right there, take a backup and keep running it as needed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Ok, I've got the old thermostat out. Manual says to goober RTV on both sides of the gasket; the actual gasket I have has a sticky side. Do I just rtv the other side or what? Which surface do I stick the thing to?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

An old laptop is convenient, but I run all of that crap in virtual machines (like the free version of virtualbox) and just "pass through" the usb cable. That way I have a nice clean place for each of the various ones I run and messing with one doesn't break the other. Sometimes just being up to date with windows update past a certain point will break this crap, so my VMs are just dumpster fires of security vulnerabilities and old poo poo because once it works I just stop right there, take a backup and keep running it as needed.

I just assumed USB pass through wouldn't work, but I think the last time I tried that was years and years ago. I'll give that a shot first, I certainly don't want to run the cracked version on my normal laptop

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Figured out the RTV situation; everything is back together and I'm waiting 24 hours to fill up the coolant and fire up the van, per the directions included with the RTV tube.

Tomorrow's problem: How do I fill up the coolant on this engine (318) without getting an air bubble? In my car there's a little burp valve you can open at the exact top of the cooling system that completely erases that problem; this van lacks that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Most cars don't have godawful cooling systems that need bleed valves. Drive it up on some ramps or jack it up a bit to help make sure the radiator cap is the highest point in the system, then fill it up and keep filling it while it warms up and flows some water past the thermostat.

One of those adapter funnels is a worthwhile investment too, especially because they're so cheap.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Leave the cap off with engine running for a while. Squeeze/not squeeze and repeat with the top rad hose. Should get it going.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Most cars don't have godawful cooling systems that need bleed valves. Drive it up on some ramps or jack it up a bit to help make sure the radiator cap is the highest point in the system, then fill it up and keep filling it while it warms up and flows some water past the thermostat.

One of those adapter funnels is a worthwhile investment too, especially because they're so cheap.

Adapter funnel... red one, accordion-y with two different stepped threadings on one end? I got one of those to dump oil down the dipstick tube of this thing rather than take the doghouse off to do it right. It was 97 cents at the Pahrump Wal-mart iirc (and worked hilariously well)

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
2015 F150 with the 5.0 V8. Can the VCT solenoids be replaced without removing the front timing cover? Does the computer need to be told it has new sensors or are they plug and play? It's having occasional rough idle/stalling issues and I'm trying to fix it for the least amout of money. I sure hope it's not failed cam phasers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think I've owned a car built after 1980 that didn't have a bleeder. My favorite is on the Pentastar where the bleeder isn't even at the highest point of the block, much less the cooling system. :downs:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So just to double-check the order of operations here:

* Jack up front end
* fill radiator to the top
* start engine
* continue adding coolant to the radiator until I've put in the entire gallon I took out?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Javid posted:

Adapter funnel... red one, accordion-y with two different stepped threadings on one end? I got one of those to dump oil down the dipstick tube of this thing rather than take the doghouse off to do it right. It was 97 cents at the Pahrump Wal-mart iirc (and worked hilariously well)

Lisle sells one for like $20, there are a bunch of ripoffs of it on Amazon as well. It has adapters that thread onto the radiator so that it can hold water well above the rest of the system.

Your order of operations is good, as long as you wait long enough for the engine to get hot enough to open the thermostat a few times. Only thing to add is that you'll want to check the radiator again after it cools down for the next few days as it burps poo poo out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Javid posted:

So just to double-check the order of operations here:

* Jack up front end
* fill radiator to the top
* start engine
* continue adding coolant to the radiator until I've put in the entire gallon I took out?

Supposedly you're also supposed to turn the heater on too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

I don't think I've owned a car built after 1980 that didn't have a bleeder. My favorite is on the Pentastar where the bleeder isn't even at the highest point of the block, much less the cooling system. :downs:

I think I've owned 1 or 2 that had a bleeder. I'm pretty sure my 91 Integra had one, possibly the 99 Altima as well.

Most of my cars have been >1990, and more than half have been Honda (1 Ford, 1 Nissan, 2 Saturns thrown in).

Mom's 03 Toyota Avalon doesn't have a bleeder either; instead, the "radiator" cap goes on the thermostat housing, and it's the highest point in the cooling system. GF's 05 Toyota Matrix doesn't have one that I could find either, though the cap is actually on the radiator on hers.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Australia-centric question:

I've got a Town Ace I want to fit out as a camper, while still using it as a daily. My main issue is that while it is rego'd as an 8-seater and has all the original belts/anchor points intact, the rearmost row of seats have been removed, which is where I'd much rather have them (will not be used often, and make it much easier to have a pull-out bed and accessible storage). The middle seats are there and quite comfy, but unfortunately are going to have to go if I want to have a bed and sensible storage.

What are some good models to look for to scavenge a slightly smaller bench seat for the back? Don't mind going down to two rather than three seats, and I've only got about 110cm of width for the front mounting points thanks to the wheel wells. There are some brackets there but I am under no illusions I'll find something that fits them (PO said the rear row were aftermarket, and installed in the 90s), so I'll be having them professionally fitted FWIW.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Quick question. I’m getting the 40k service on my wife’s Toyota at the dealership and they’re telling me the “pcv valve is getting clogged with carbon” and want $190 to “do it” whatever that means. Clean? Replace? Dunno.

Is this a thing that should actually get done or are they padding their bill?

Edit: dude said it was a “4 or 5 out of 10” whatever that means

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Depending on the car those sometimes unplug in 30 seconds. I would say "show me" and if they can't put a carboned up valve in your hands, they're liars.

Clogged pcv valve at 40k miles seems improbable. The part is also like $10

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah reading up on it I’m just going to kick the can and have another mechanic look at it when I do the 60k service.

Also somehow their WiFi blocks most car sites, toyota forums etc. No problem connecting from my phone, no go on WiFi.

:thunk:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Javid posted:

How do they know you have gas cans? Are they nosing through vehicles on entry or something? Seems like "just shove it under something else in the trunk or something so they leave you alone" is the answer here. What officious pricks don't know won't hurt them.

They do a cursory cargo search when you arrive at the festival.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Are you allowed to bring drinks? Motor oil? Put the gasoline in a bunch of smaller bottles that aren't red and don't say gasoline on them. Then you can easily pull out a liter or two at a time and it doesn't look like gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

Are you allowed to bring drinks? Motor oil? Put the gasoline in a bunch of smaller bottles that aren't red and don't say gasoline on them. Then you can easily pull out a liter or two at a time and it doesn't look like gas.

I'm just gonna take my 5 gallon like I usually do and talk my way through security. They are specifically allowed but they say "an appropriate amount" and dont specify an actual quantity. 1 out of 5 years ive had it confiscated because security is run by a bunch of volunteers and no one wants to be the guy holding up 25,000 cars of people trying to get in.