Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, I'm approaching the end of Horizon Zero Dawn and I don't think I have much RDR2 to go either. Please recommend me something kind of similar so I can continue mainlining dopamine directly into my brain.

I've tried the various flavors of Souls games and find them extremely stressful.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

God of War seems like a good follow up to HZD if you haven't played that yet.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Does Spider-Man sound interesting to you? If it's an open world kick you're on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do Japanese distributors get mad when sweaty coke hogs like Nolan North are the English VA in everything?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, I'm approaching the end of Horizon Zero Dawn and I don't think I have much RDR2 to go either. Please recommend me something kind of similar so I can continue mainlining dopamine directly into my brain.

I've tried the various flavors of Souls games and find them extremely stressful.

I've been enjoying Asscreed Odyessy and division 2 was really good in the beta. Spider-Man is also a very good game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

Welp, I bought it.

Get sekt.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sekiro is loving sick but I can’t get the parry timing down. I’ve perfect parried a couple of dudes but I can’t do it consistently

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Beachcomber posted:

Spider-Man or AC: Odyssey would be my pick.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Kill cleverly.

You're doing great!

:love:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDMzT0qsqP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95PNItQW148

I wasn’t expecting RE2 to be surpassed this hard as GOTY 2019, much less so soon, but :sbahj:

(No spoilers here really, just cool poo poo)

E: ok one more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4CFabZwrk

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 23, 2019

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Parrying and deathblowing a rooster >>>>>

Stealth killing a dog <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did you have to do something to collect the coins or were they drawn to you automatically? I don't get why in games you have to run around to all the enemies you've killed to collect your orbs, loot, money, etc. Especially if the game has no real inventory management to speak of.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lobok posted:

Did you have to do something to collect the coins or were they drawn to you automatically? I don't get why in games you have to run around to all the enemies you've killed to collect your orbs, loot, money, etc. Especially if the game has no real inventory management to speak of.

Placed items in the environment have to be picked up manually, but you hoover up dropped stuff by holding the pick up button for a certain radius. It’s a nice balance, you don’t have to chase every corpse around, but you do have to remember to do it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

I was worried that the slightly more realistic setting would cause it to be all humanoid enemies but then a giant chicken killed me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

Was just picking up my copy of Sekiro at Gamestop after work and it dawned on me that Fromsoft is no longer a popular niche dev and has really become a full on, mainstream thing. The windows were covered in Sekiro banners and the place was packed, everyone there was buying it. A mom who couldn't say the name (kept asking for Sicario lol) was next to me in line. Felt like the first day of a COD release or something. I couldn't help but feel a little bit of second hand pride for my boys at From. Seeing how far they have come without ever compromising their games at all. Feels like not long ago that we were all talking about importing Demon's Souls from Asia.

Dark Souls was all anyone was talking about at launch!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On the forums and in certain circles. The general public certainly wasn't where they are at now with Fromsoft games.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
So a source of mine just let me know that Sony is no longer going to be giving download codes for full games to third party resellers like gamestop and Amazon starting next month. I hope this means that they are instituting some kind of gifting system in place of this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

On the forums and in certain circles. The general public certainly wasn't where they are at now with Fromsoft games.
Does "the general public" even buy games from game boutique stores? Sometimes I wonder how people are defining that term when they use it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does "the general public" even buy games from game boutique stores? Sometimes I wonder how people are defining that term when they use it.

I mean, there were like 50 goobers at the 9pm release of Sekiro at Gamestop, so how general are we talking?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

No, I mean irl as well. It was A Thing. Dark Souls had a lot of hype

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dewgy posted:

Placed items in the environment have to be picked up manually, but you hoover up dropped stuff by holding the pick up button for a certain radius. It’s a nice balance, you don’t have to chase every corpse around, but you do have to remember to do it.

Right ok, that's a little better. I've seen that system before but can't think of where. The Ultimate Alliance games maybe?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can people posting descriptions /names of bosses from Sekiro use spoilers please :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

So a source of mine just let me know that Sony is no longer going to be giving download codes for full games to third party resellers like gamestop and Amazon starting next month. I hope this means that they are instituting some kind of gifting system in place of this.

Say hi to your uncle for me.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I finished SOMA, it was pretty okay but that kind of slower paced Amnesia style game is kinda ruined for me after the superb Alien Isolation.

Hollow Knight is really excellent. Really enjoying the zone variety and atmosphere, and the combat feels good even if simple. I did get completely lost for a little bit - hunting down every possible branch across every zone I'd been in got a little frustrating without a clue as to which direction to head, but not so much that it took anything away from the game for me. It was buying the lantern that I had missed, anyway. Now I'm well on my way! Best boss so far is Poop Beetle Warrior because he's just so drat enthusiastic! Worst boss so far are the one or two Generic Bug But Bigger fights. Hardest boss so far is Hornet Round 2.

While I'm messing with Hollow Knight in shorter bursts I'm going to start Red Dead 2! I'm very jealous of all you ninja (I need to play my already-bought copy of DS3 before I drop the money on Sekiro) but am also very excited to be a cowboy! Bang bang, Dutch!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 23, 2019

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Midjack posted:

Say hi to your uncle for me.

For what it's worth, I did call up my local gamestop and they did confirm it was a thing but it would not impact digital preorders for mortal kombat or days gone.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Memo here:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1109211277975416832

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Welp, this is another knife in gamestop's torso. AFAIK they still do a loooooooot of digital preorders and they make a huge deal out of selling full game codes

poo poo, when I worked at gamestop the free game codes sony gave to managers every now and then was one of the few perks anyone had for working in that shithole.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 23, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You can't summon your ship when you find yourself on an island in the middle of nowhere in Odyssey, can you? I know you can do the reverse, fast travel to the ship.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

acksplode posted:

yeah, they've come to deathblow the rooster

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Oh yes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

You can't summon your ship when you find yourself on an island in the middle of nowhere in Odyssey, can you? I know you can do the reverse, fast travel to the ship.

No but almost every island has a dock somewhere on it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thisisnotarealperson.jpeg

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Wow, y'all weren't joking when you said they literally 'disappear' people in situations like this.

I thought it was quite a bit of overreacting when I thought he got busted for weed, until I found out it was cocaine. This is a big Holy poo poo Piss incident.

One of my college roommates left for Japan a few years after we went our separate ways via the JET program, and got caught with his "tobacco pipe" at the airport. Last I checked, he is permanently banned from entering the country.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The reason this face is unsetting is symmetry. I believe.

Example of famous person with withouth symmetry.

The error, the mistake, the uniqueness, make faces beatiful, where perfection make faces horrible.

I like bad games.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is being edgy and saying #farodidnothingwrong a thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I played and beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it was aggressively... okay. There's really nothing outright-bad about it, and it's frankly gorgeous, but it just feels like the developers are really sick of making Tomb Raider games and have run out of ideas. Half the upgrades are just bought from merchants for side-content (the rope ascender and lockpick), and there's really not enough variety in the weapon stats to realistically make using anything other than the defaults interesting. Save maybe the LMG. The option to change your gear might as well not exist, considering how much time you spend in Paititi and need either the Blue Heron or Serpent Guard outfits.

The story's at least more engaging than Rise's and Lara has a fun dynamic with Jonah. The rest of the cast don't really get to do much aside from move the plot along, but they're okay for what they are and Domingez is actually a decent self-deluded villain. It's pretty clear by the ending though that the writers and developers just want out, because not only are we dealing with the head of Trinity, somehow being a man born in a hidden city who was inducted into the Not Illuminati as an essentially-abducted child rather than surely someone they'd have groomed or old-boy's-club elected in, but the entire ruling council turn up and get slaughtered offscreen. Dealing with Commander Rourke is also just completely unsatisfying after the buildup from Rise and into Shadow; I didn't even realize it was him manning the APC turret until the Yaax'il tore his guts out and, well, guess there goes any kind of closure for Lara but we gotta get this thing done and wrapped up so moooove along to the final boss fight and don't worry about it please! :pseudo:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Was just picking up my copy of Sekiro at Gamestop after work and it dawned on me that Fromsoft is no longer a popular niche dev and has really become a full on, mainstream thing. The windows were covered in Sekiro banners and the place was packed, everyone there was buying it. A mom who couldn't say the name (kept asking for Sicario lol) was next to me in line. Felt like the first day of a COD release or something. I couldn't help but feel a little bit of second hand pride for my boys at From. Seeing how far they have come without ever compromising their games at all. Feels like not long ago that we were all talking about importing Demon's Souls from Asia.

The good thing about being published by Activision. The marketing is so aggressive millions will buy it and then wonder why they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anybody else get screwed on their Sekiro preorder from GameStop online and not get their letter opener? Was really looking forward to murdering some bills.