Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Man that's certainly a range.
If I had to choose one or the other I'm absolutely not sure which I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I had to choose one or the other I'm absolutely not sure which I would.

By posting on these forums, you've already chosen pants-making GBS threads.

Corpse defiling is over on reddit now.

Uh.

I mean. That's what my one friend says.Not really a friend at all actually.Just some guy, I mean.some crazy guy I don't even know

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 21, 2019

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Coolness Averted posted:

to this day talking to friends with (bad) opinions about d&d they always regard tome of battle classes as brokenly OP, just like psionics (especially the psychic knife or whatever class), monks, and anything that dared to give things to do non-spellcasters. It's funny because nearly everything they identify as broken usually is broken, just not in the direction they think

The closest a player in my games came to making a 'broken' TOB character is a dude who used Tiger Claw to make an inescapable grappler that did massive damage, which I considered broken because it made me as the DM interact with the grapple rules like every combat round.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
The main issue with the ToB classes when I last ran 3.5 wasn't that there was anything inherently wrong with them, but more the person playing a vanilla fighter felt pretty pathetic by comparison. But the ToB characters weren't even the OP ones in my opinion - that was the factotum player who could one-shot most of the tougher monsters. (This was an anything official goes and not particularly serious campaign where I just ran a bunch of adventure modules because we all wanted to get back in to playing again.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Entoloma posted:

The main issue with the ToB classes when I last ran 3.5 wasn't that there was anything inherently wrong with them, but more the person playing a vanilla fighter felt pretty pathetic by comparison. But the ToB characters weren't even the OP ones in my opinion - that was the factotum player who could one-shot most of the tougher monsters. (This was an anything official goes and not particularly serious campaign where I just ran a bunch of adventure modules because we all wanted to get back in to playing again.)

the ToB classes were pretty much supposed to completely replace the standard martials, except you can't really say that officially

Path of War is somewhat better in that regard as far as using the Pathfinder archetype system so that all the standard martials can get access to maneuvers

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Entoloma posted:

The vanilla fighter is always gonna feel pathetic. ToB being not lovely isn't the problem, vanilla fighter being lovely is.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
But Dave's gotta have something for when he wants to hang out but not play the game

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cassa posted:

But Dave's gotta have something for when he wants to hang out but not play the game

I once was present for and mostly non-disruptive during the entire course of a months long Star Wars d20 campaign. But apparently I was doing it wrong, because I was on the couch across the room 100%ing Wind Waker, when I should've been "playing" a game I didn't want to play, sitting there with a Soldier sheet in front of me saying "I shoot my blaster at him" once every couple of minutes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That Old Tree posted:

I once was present for and mostly non-disruptive during the entire course of a months long Star Wars d20 campaign. But apparently I was doing it wrong, because I was on the couch across the room 100%ing Wind Waker, when I should've been "playing" a game I didn't want to play, sitting there with a Soldier sheet in front of me saying "I shoot my blaster at him" once every couple of minutes.

Why were you even there, just out of curiosity? Was this the kind of group where you'd never get a game invite again if you ducked out and you were confident things would improve next game?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've mentally checked out of a fair few sessions that were boring for those kinds of reasons but I don't think I'd ever finish out a campaign that continued to be like that.

Kinda interested in what kept you coming back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I've mentally checked out of a fair few sessions that were boring for those kinds of reasons but I don't think I'd ever finish out a campaign that continued to be like that.

Kinda interested in what kept you coming back.

Same

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Antivehicular posted:

Why were you even there, just out of curiosity? Was this the kind of group where you'd never get a game invite again if you ducked out and you were confident things would improve next game?

We all just hung out all the time. That was one of the rare times I wasn't in on whatever RPG was going on pretty much constantly, but there was pretty frequently one or two people playing video games while everyone else did TTRPGs.

EDIT: This was post-high school, but most of us were college students and/or unemployed/underemployed, and also we were just younger and less: a) picky and b) into taking care of ourselves and getting enough sleep.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 22, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

We all just hung out all the time. That was one of the rare times I wasn't in on whatever RPG was going on pretty much constantly, but there was pretty frequently one or two people playing video games while everyone else did TTRPGs.

EDIT: This was post-high school, but most of us were college students and/or unemployed/underemployed, and also we were just younger and less: a) picky and b) into taking care of ourselves and getting enough sleep.

Yeah it wasn't games for me but that's extremely relatable.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Catfishenfuego posted:

The closest a player in my games came to making a 'broken' TOB character is a dude who used Tiger Claw to make an inescapable grappler that did massive damage, which I considered broken because it made me as the DM interact with the grapple rules like every combat round.

Broken combos are absolutely doable with the ToB, just like everything else in 3.5e. Crusader had a few wacky builds, too. And it didn't help that the official errata for Tome of Battle switched over to.... I think Complete Mage errata after the first page or so and has never been fixed.

Entoloma posted:

Vanilla fighters and other classes could dip into Tome of Battle through feats or multiclassing and get some pretty nice bonuses, but if you're introducing ToB to the game it is for the best to tell any players that want to play the plain fighter, paladin, or monk to switch over or find a fan rebuild of the classes that either turns them into martial initiators/is an overall dramatic boost to power. Factotum is an excellent class, but it was one of the last ones put out for 3.5e, so they were a lot more comfortable giving it nice things (which did inevitably feed back into the fact that you could break the game in half with any class that wasn't named Truenamer.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

That Old Tree posted:

Any group decision is going to have someone in the group who wanted it least and if they drop out it’s huge drama. D&Ds idea of providing classes to handle this isn’t ideal but it’s something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I daresay part of why it's important to have "good" classes across all classes, even if you're not playing "competitively", and even if it's not a video game that needs to be "balanced", is that you need everyone to have entertaining enough mechanics to be engaged all throughout the game, and since players might not come into the game with a frame of reference of what their class choice might mean besides "looks cool idk", a Fighter than ends up eating poo poo by level 10 is going to feel like the devs pulled a fast one on the players.

If it's intentional, that needs to be made clear and explicit and upfront.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

I daresay part of why it's important to have "good" classes across all classes, even if you're not playing "competitively", and even if it's not a video game that needs to be "balanced", is that you need everyone to have entertaining enough mechanics to be engaged all throughout the game, and since players might not come into the game with a frame of reference of what their class choice might mean besides "looks cool idk", a Fighter than ends up eating poo poo by level 10 is going to feel like the devs pulled a fast one on the players.

Yeah. 'Classes being able to contribute equally' seems like the bare minimum contract devs should make with their players.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That Old Tree posted:

I get this. I go to game nights with a community I'm involved with because I need to get out of my house every once in a while since I'm a stay at home dad. Sometimes they play games I like and I'm in, sometimes I sit one out and goof off on my Switch (this happens every time the game involves a cardboard sheet in front of players reminding them how to buy sheep). Either way I'm still hanging out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is Dragons Conquer America the good kind of insane, or the bad kind?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Rand Brittain posted:

From what I remember of previous discussions about it it's the Very Racist kind of insane.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rand Brittain posted:

I know nothing about this game but I have a mental image based on the name alone and there is no way the reality matches what I am picturing

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Dragons Conquer America is the game where one of the player character options is being a Conquistador, so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Dragons Conquer America is the game where one of the player character options is being a Conquistador, so.

I dimly recall the consensus was if they'd just had you, you know, fighting the conquistadors with dragons it might have been a dope game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

An area control game where you have to fight other dragons over control of America was what I had in mind.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Still looking for a good Dragon Riding game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Still looking for a good Dragon Riding game

There's several erotic D&D supplements already.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

has anyone successfully make an rpg where you play as an oppressive/evil real life entity (dont say the modern day US, har har, I mean like the confederacy)

and not where they say "actually they weren't so bad" but just fully acknowledge they were bad? I don't even know where you'd start with that.

like, how do you make a game about being a conquistador and not just immediately have stamping on native americans be the only image conjured up

I think it's impossible

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

has anyone successfully make an rpg where you play as an oppressive/evil real life entity (dont say the modern day US, har har, I mean like the confederacy)

and not where they say "actually they weren't so bad" but just fully acknowledge they were bad? I don't even know where you'd start with that.

like, how do you make a game about being a conquistador and not just immediately have stamping on native americans be the only image conjured up

I think it's impossible
Doesn't Dogs in the Vineyard lean into this?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Doesn't Dogs in the Vineyard lean into this?

no, the game acknowledges that the religion is repressive and the Dogs are sinister, but it also says they are genuinely trained to try to help people non-violently if they can, and people generally trust them to do the right thing.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Also the Dogs can do things like make a woman the steward of the town or gay marry people if they want to - they'd probably face resistance from the town but they are authorized to make those kinds of decisions and could very well be trying to make the towns they go to more progressive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

no, the game acknowledges that the religion is repressive and the Dogs are sinister, but it also says they are genuinely trained to try to help people non-violently if they can, and people generally trust them to do the right thing.

Also the supernatural threat they face is in fact real.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I think it's impossible

The Camarilla.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fool_of_sound posted:

Demonic magic also real in the game's setting and being gay does empower demons, which kind of undermines the point of homophobia being irrational and hypocritical

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

Also the supernatural threat they face is in fact real.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Demonic magic also real in the game's setting and being gay does empower demons, which kind of undermines the point of homophobia being irrational and hypocritical

My reading is that the game is more ambivalent about the actual existence of demons and witchcraft and miracles. Everyone in the game setting is absolutely certain they exist, and react accordingly, but I remember the actual effects of demons and witchcraft being limited to stuff that can plausibly happen without supernatural intervention. More like miraculous/diabolical coincidences that are maybe, maybe not actually magic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah it’s pretty explicitly stated in the text that the religious views about....literally anything are not necessarily true or correct.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

fool_of_sound posted:

My reading is that the game is more ambivalent about the actual existence of demons and witchcraft and miracles. Everyone in the game setting is absolutely certain they exist, and react accordingly, but I remember the actual effects of demons and witchcraft being limited to stuff that can plausibly happen without supernatural intervention. More like miraculous/diabolical coincidences that are maybe, maybe not actually magic.

It depends on the group and it's a valid option to say the supernatural elements absolutely do exist.

That being said: having read some of Baker's talk about the game elsewhere the thing that isn't really made clear in the book is that while the GM is supposed to pretend like all the tenants of the Faith are true when doing town creation (being gay/not fitting into your "proper" gender role/etc makes demonic attacks happen), that's not the case in the world of the game - and even in a game where demons are real you can interpret it as demons doing their thing to make things worse in a town that's under stress from someone breaking the social rules.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I know it's 2 pages ago, but the Bag of Rats problem can be easily solved by pointing out how it's a clear case of animal cruelty, and would make your cleaving/healing maneuver/etc PC Evil.

If it makes your PC sound like the kind of guy who tortures trapped squirrels for fun, they don't get that Silver Crane [Good] tagged healing sacred power. Problem solved!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Spheres of Might solves it by changing all those abilities to only trigger off of creatures at least 1/2 your HD.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Spheres of Might solves it by changing all those abilities to only trigger off of creatures at least 1/2 your HD.

Spheres of Might forms an interesting counterpoint and alternative to the Tome of Battle model and I really want to try and run a campaign centered around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It weirds me out that airsoft atlanta has ads on SA because I randomly ran into guy who worked there/owned it when I was drunk at Gencon one night. Apparently they're goons.