Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Nintendo fans love and crave change, which is why they follow a company with such a rich and long history of invention and innovation. You know when one of Nintendo's experiments with new types of controller input hasn't worked out because it doesn't become a standard feature of all controllers made from then on

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, there's truth in both statements.

Nintendo does a lot of crazy experimentation to varied success, and the snes's shoulder buttons, n64s analog stick, motion controls with the wii, and touch screen stuff with the ds are all trying to draw in a crowd with something new. And other parties did copy the shoulder buttons, analog sticks(dual shock), motion control stuff(kinect and plastation's various motion control stuff) and touch screen stuff(ds4 touch pad) if that's what you're laughing at.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's first party titles tend to be more of the same old game with the new gimmick thrown in so they appeal to people who don't like change. And nintendo has a huge market in selling literally the same games to people over and over again through both remakes and literal emulation so that reinforces the point.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it would be much better if it just couldn't play anything from the back catalog like the other consoles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

it would be much better if it just couldn't play anything from the back catalog like the other consoles

Im pretty sure Sony and Microsoft both offer more back catalog titles than Nintendo but with Sony it might be close.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

hawowanlawow posted:

still better than final fantasy

Wow congratulations to Pokémon for the huge accomplishment of only having the second-worst gameplay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FoolyCharged posted:

Meanwhile, Nintendo's first party titles tend to be more of the same old game with the new gimmick thrown in so they appeal to people who don't like change. And nintendo has a huge market in selling literally the same games to people over and over again through both remakes and literal emulation so that reinforces the point.

how is that different to literally the entire video game market

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

how is that different to literally the entire video game market

because they do it on a scale only matched by skyrim

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

because they do it on a scale only matched by skyrim

do you play Ubisoft games

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

That might be the dumbest take in this poo poo lol

Hmm, it's like my opinion... is unpopular.... Huh. What up with that?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I just got to max level in Division 2 and am wondering why the gently caress it took 25 hours to get to this point

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Hmm, it's like my opinion... is unpopular.... Huh. What up with that?

You stated it as a fact brehhhhhhhhh

You dislike pepperoni just my opinion

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, there's truth in both statements.

Nintendo does a lot of crazy experimentation to varied success, and the snes's shoulder buttons, n64s analog stick, motion controls with the wii, and touch screen stuff with the ds are all trying to draw in a crowd with something new. And other parties did copy the shoulder buttons, analog sticks(dual shock), motion control stuff(kinect and plastation's various motion control stuff) and touch screen stuff(ds4 touch pad) if that's what you're laughing at.

I think that Nintendo tends to get a little more credit than they deserve when it comes to controller design. For instance the ps1 released an analog stick controller before the N64 came out and touch screen controls had been on other devices for decades already. But I do think that shoulder buttons were them, and definitely motion controls

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I think that Nintendo tends to get a little more credit than they deserve when it comes to controller design. For instance the ps1 released an analog stick controller before the N64 came out and touch screen controls had been on other devices for decades already. But I do think that shoulder buttons were them, and definitely motion controls

The Atari 5200 had a shoulder button, the controller and system just sucked.

The PS3 launched with SIXAXIS technically a week prior to the Wii, but thats like the same period and for as poo poo as the Wii motion controls were they were lightyears ahead of the SIXAXIS

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

QuarkJets posted:

The N64 came out in 1996, the DualShock came out in 1997.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Yeah the dualshock was the first twin stick controller and the N64 the first of what we typically think of as a thumbstick design but there were previous single stick designs stretching back to the 70s.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The prototype for the DualShock was available the previous year at various expos, it just wasn't available to consumers. You could also cite the Atari if you want, the point is that Nintendo wasn't really the only game in town to use an analog stick, like FoolyCharged suggested.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nintendo did invent and patent the only sensible dpad design and then once it was no longer covered by patent switched to a completely poo poo new deisgn.

I know theres a reason, but it still sucks as a dpad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And like let's not kid ourselves, the N64 controller was a bold and creative design but it was also dogshit, which is why the Gamecube had a controller that was more like a Dualshock and less like something that you'd get if you told an alien with 4 arms what a boomerang looks like

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is that Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark technically had the first twin-stick console shooter controls, with the optional control schemes where you hold two controllers at once.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark technically had the first twin-stick console shooter controls, with the optional control schemes where you hold two controllers at once.

Sure, and it had a setup for dpad to strafe stick to aim which is close enough to modern style and the only way I could play it. Seriously hold a button to switch to aiming? What is this trash?

Aliens Ressurection fo PS1 was the first single controller twin stick fps though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bifurcated controllers are a ridiculous idea that works great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Virtual On was another very early game designed for twin-stick control

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, Robotron: 2084 came out in 1982 so twin stick gameplay has a long history in gaming, its just having it be a standard control scheme took a few more decades.

Edit: I could pontificate all gosh darn day on game evolutions because its fascinating in how progress in gaming changed rapidly once you exit the arcade era and things that existed then like QTEs had to be basically reinvented decades later in non-bespoke formats.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

keep in mind that Turok Dinosaur Hunter was controlled with the c-buttons and the stick, so it was technically dual stick but with strafing buttons

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

keep in mind that Turok Dinosaur Hunter was controlled with the c-buttons and the stick, so it was technically dual stick but with strafing buttons

Same setup as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark alternate options. Its why FPS games were better on the N64 even if their default control schemes in some cases were terrible.

On the other hand Jumping Flash for the PSX had a, to modern player, nonsensical control scheme but that game was so good and deserved its place on the PSX Classic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All the N64 fps games were laughably bad

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The prototype for the DualShock was available the previous year at various expos, it just wasn't available to consumers. You could also cite the Atari if you want, the point is that Nintendo wasn't really the only game in town to use an analog stick, like FoolyCharged suggested.

I wasn't suggesting they were the only game in town, I was suggesting they were the first company to do what we think of when we think of analog sticks on a controller. They beat Sony to the punch on releasing it, and atari/flight sticks had a completely different feel to them even if yes, they were analog sticks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nintendo has done a lot to innovate in control setup design but there are lots of misfires too. Like every single thing relating to the rest of the n64 controller or the c-stick on the gamecube. The WiiU is also one of the worst concepted systems outside like the gamecom or ngage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

The Atari 2600 had analog controllers. Nintendo didn't invent poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nintendo has done a lot to innovate in control setup design but there are lots of misfires too. Like every single thing relating to the rest of the n64 controller or the c-stick on the gamecube. The WiiU is also one of the worst concepted systems outside like the gamecom or ngage.

Definitely. If I implied otherwise I did not mean to. I know with a company that big there's got to be months of planning behind stuff, but it really feels like their strategy is just to randomly throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

E:

Rutibex posted:

The Atari 2600 had analog controllers. Nintendo didn't invent poo poo

And if I want to split hairs the stick on the atari 2600 was an 8 way digital stick like most arcade machines. All it tracked was which direction(s) were being pressed, not how hard they were.

E2:
Vvvvvvvvvvvvv
Pretty much. Arcade sticks and flight sticks are a different beast entirely from how you use analog sticks on modern controllers

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 23, 2019

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Oh for fucks sake you dunces, hes talking about the way the analog stick was integrated and used, which was unique to the nintendo 64 at the time of its release.

There's no new tech, they used old stuff in new ways and it ended up being revolutionary

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omB13hiy_B0

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

And if I want to split hairs the stick on the atari 2600 was an 8 way digital stick like most arcade machines. All it tracked was which direction(s) were being pressed, not how hard they were.

E2:
Vvvvvvvvvvvvv
Pretty much. Arcade sticks and flight sticks are a different beast entirely from how you use analog sticks on modern controllers

I wasn't talking about the joysticks my man, this baby is analog:

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

All the N64 fps games were laughably bad
I don't really want to play it again but counter op mode and scaling mission objectives based on difficulty in Perfect Dark were both insanely cool. And lol at people who think they can see above 12 fps anyways.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I recently tried to play this ps2 game called fur fighters which is a 3rd person shooter of sorts with twin stick controls except the move and look sticks were reversed compared to every single twin stick game in the last 10 years and that poo poo was completely unplayable

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I recently tried to play this ps2 game called fur fighters which is a 3rd person shooter of sorts with twin stick controls except the move and look sticks were reversed compared to every single twin stick game in the last 10 years and that poo poo was completely unplayable

I played that on Dreamcast where there was only one stick

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

StabMasterArson posted:

There were a bunch of different control schemes that you could choose from but none had the option of swapping the two sticks. It was very lol trying to play it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

There were a bunch of different control schemes that you could choose from but none had the option of swapping the two sticks. It was very lol trying to play it

just turn the controller upside down

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

This game was simultaneously incredible and horrifically bad. Ive never, and will probably never again, play a game where its ambition is so firmly outside its reach but its reach still grasps far beyond where any sensible editor would stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sekiro is good so far, i like it a lot