Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
this game looks sweet as all hell. i'm going to try to learn how to play it. maybe i'll have some chops by the time yall start another game.. i'd love to play..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jerry Bindle posted:

this game looks sweet as all hell. i'm going to try to learn how to play it. maybe i'll have some chops by the time yall start another game.. i'd love to play..

it might be a while before we start another game lol. this one has been going on for around one year five months and we're only on turn 68 which is still technically early-game (things usually start getting real around turn 100-150). that said i see no issue with organising side-games in this thread if glorgnole grants their blessing.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Jerry Bindle posted:

I'd play with you :)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yay! i'm trying to catch up on the thread now to figure out how ya'll have been running this

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jerry Bindle posted:

it’s real good. I may have to do some practice games with the morganites. since if you micro properly you can hit the IA-> boreholes and crawlers for days slingshot pretty loving early. which can lead to funny things like buying a prototype planet buster in one turn.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jerry Bindle posted:

yay! i'm trying to catch up on the thread now to figure out how ya'll have been running this

we've been sending the save files around as email attachments, which has mostly worked for us

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

it might be a while before we start another game lol. this one has been going on for around one year five months and we're only on turn 68 which is still technically early-game (things usually start getting real around turn 100-150). that said i see no issue with organising side-games in this thread if glorgnole grants their blessing.

go for it! be careful to send the right save file to the right group, and maybe find some way to distinguish posts about that game from the current one. it'll probably go a lot faster if you have just two or three players and the remainder controlled by the computer.

I still owe a dear diary for my last turn and some gangtag edits but I can do that tonight. I'll blame work for this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorgnole posted:

we've been sending the save files around as email attachments, which has mostly worked for us

i'm trying to wrangle how this could somehow be controlled with git but i'm coming up short.

emails are the ultimate control

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Boiled Water posted:

i'm trying to wrangle how this could somehow be controlled with git but i'm coming up short.

emails are the ultimate control

Couldn't you just have a save game file with a fixed name that each player continuously updates on their turn? You can manage who's turn it is in the change descriptions.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PittTheElder posted:

Couldn't you just have a save game file with a fixed name that each player continuously updates on their turn? You can manage who's turn it is in the change descriptions.

copy copy ohno_worms_ate_my_former(1)(2).sav.bak

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

post receive hook that consults a list of players sorted by turn order, and only allows the right player to commit the new save

also easy to see who’s holding up the turn

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
seems like the killer app for email 2

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

2169... the sex number year...

i couldn't find my pictures from 2168, so whoops to that.

the main thing is that my secret project is nearing completion. since production is totally interchangeable between different projects without loss, this means that it's time to pick which project to actually complete. i'd been working toward The Human Genome Project until now, which is a p solid pick: the added talent prevents an additional drone from rioting, which saves a bit of minerals/energy on psych facilities and saves you from having to turn a worker into a doctor. if you devote some energy credits towards psych in social engineering you can have your bases enter golden ages more easily. definitely not my only option: see below for other things i could build.

having thought about it some more, i think that The Weather Paradigm is more useful. the terraforming rate buff sticks with you for the whole game, so the project won't be minimized/obsoleted by some later advance (which is my impression for what usually happens with The Merchant Exchange). the benefits aren't reproducible by just building extra base facilities (def. the case with The Command Nexus). also it'll give me a head start on building boreholes and condensers -- extremely nice.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
weather paradigm is op.

lol at the gaians rushing out boreholes tho

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

florida lan posted:

weather paradigm is op.

lol at the gaians rushing out boreholes tho

that's what tree farms are for :blastu:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

post receive hook that consults a list of players sorted by turn order, and only allows the right player to commit the new save

also easy to see who’s holding up the turn

imo best option would be to stick a mail server in front of it with a hook for received messages. the players send the updated save to the server which commits it and then sends the save to the next player based on a configured list.

although just e-mailing the save around has been working fine :lol:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

it’s real good. I may have to do some practice games with the morganites. since if you micro properly you can hit the IA-> boreholes and crawlers for days slingshot pretty loving early. which can lead to funny things like buying a prototype planet buster in one turn.

weirdly enough in our current game the Morganites are the only base-game faction who weren't picked. oh also the Peacekeepers weren't picked but lol no one ever goes Lal

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i got absolutely no chops at this loving game. i'm still up to play if theres enough people to start another game, but the experience for 1-2 players against me would probably be boring as gently caress.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

in the pgs pbem AC games user "hoobs" had an entire backend already made for turn notification

then I started college and got stoned and killed that game

but he might still have the tech

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPvK2p28Pho

:toot:

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the geothermal ocean is mine
:smugwizard:

just to avoid any awkwardness: my sea colony pod is headed further east
this is absolutely not because there's a gun foil right where i was going to plonk my base and sea colony pods are rather expensive :colbert:

i also lost one of my isles and a couple of worms exploring unity pods -- very unfortunate

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 20, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

made some good trades recently, nice enhancement on the conquer side of the tech tree. also finally got a ship out to explore the ocean, already nabbed a unity pod worth 75 credits!

DOOMocrat posted:

in the pgs pbem AC games user "hoobs" had an entire backend already made for turn notification

then I started college and got stoned and killed that game

but he might still have the tech

this sounds intriguing, provided it wasn't written in some crazed madman language!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How goes the nerve-stapling thread?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

just to avoid any awkwardness: my sea colony pod is headed further east
this is absolutely not because there's a gun foil right where i was going to plonk my base and sea colony pods are rather expensive :colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/zyuicSB.mp4

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

When I first started dating BORAT VOICE MY WIFE (she was obviously not yet BORAT VOICE MY WIFE at that point) she told me that in Russia they don't pull over for ambulances or fire trucks. It's widely known (or rumored/assumed) that emergency vehicles are used as limousine services.

Listening to a history of the Romanov Tsars and I have to say that Russia really does seem to be a thorn in the side of any universalist idea of human embetterment (political or moral).

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there are a couple worms in the ocean north of the gravel pit

just a heads up lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

posts from the year 2171

i found the new sargasso sea. isles of the deep are good for exploring because they don't get slowed down by fungus. remind me not to roll the dice again by exploring pods without leaving enough moves to react to aliums.

otherwise things are just chugging along. i rushed a couple of children's creches to take advantage of my democratic + planned growth bonuses and grow my bases. the colony pod is headed two more tiles southwest to snag those rainy squares. something screwy might be happening with the tile just southeast of ligma falls since i planted a forest there a while back but it died off somehow. in any case i'm going to try to put a condenser there for those sweet moisture gains.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

BORAT VOICE MY WIFE

please do not

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Glorgnole posted:

please do BORAT VOICE NOT

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
don't gently caress up the thread

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I thought it was gonna be spartans, but glorgnole and I almost had the first pvp conflict there lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I thought it was gonna be spartans, but glorgnole and I almost had the first pvp conflict there lol

some borderline cuban missile crisis poo poo going on there lol/yikes

here's where i ended up, since water bases really need some help getting enough minerals to do stuff other than grow very big

fun discovery: i get 2 nutrients from fungus squares, so my bases with creches are just going to grow by 1 per turn (i think? if i'm reading stuff right??) probably until they hit the hab complex pop limit

additionally, the freshest intel shows that the Spartans have discovered :siren:INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION:siren: and are starting to crank out supply crawlers :prepop:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm probably going to be the first to die because it's super hard being water only when everyone else has continents

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
when I took over the save both my bases were beside other and the only unit I had was a loving rover

I still have the rover it's doing donuts on the spartan's continent iirc

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm probably going to be the first to die because it's super hard being water only when everyone else has continents

the pirates have an ocean mineral bonus that in theory offsets this, but

SmokaDustbowl posted:

when I took over the save both my bases were beside other and the only unit I had was a loving rover

that's prob not doing any favors

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Get a land base, and build nothing but boreholes around it, drown the world in eco-damage

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

additionally, the freshest intel shows that the Spartans have discovered :siren:INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION:siren: and are starting to crank out supply crawlers :prepop:

i hurried completion of a Network Node last turn so i could hook up my Alien Artifact, fingers crossed i'll get Industrial Automation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

Oh poo poo, the game's afoot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Memory of Joists holy lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bumped into smoka on the high seas, also drat what's up with these worms!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sid meier's alpha centauri: drat what's up with these worms!?!?!