Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My cats celebrate my homecoming every day from work by taking a huge poo poo and stinking up the top floor of my house just in time for me to be up there changing clothes, etc. It dissipates after a little bit and my house otherwise doesn't smell like cat. It took a while to get to that point, since Milly has IBS/fish allergies which made her farts smell like death, poo, and burning tires. She still farts, but it doesn't stink up the place. Other than that, she smells like dusty carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm so numb to it at this point that I don't even notice it after being away all day for work. It's only after I'm out of the house for a week or more that I actually notice a big ol' wiff of cat stink upon entering the house.

Oh, and when Mel farts. She doesn't do it often but holy poo poo when she does the room is essentially uninhabitable for an hour.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I unfortunately have a litter box in my home office, since it's just a bedroom with an unused closet. Unfortunately, that also means I have to stick around whenever one of my boys leave a big fat poo poo in the litter box.

But at least that means it gets scooped extremely frequently.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My cat just drops these dry little rat poops and they never smell of anything. I've never known her to fart.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We have to put the litterbox in the main living area due to small apartment reasons, but I honestly haven't noticed it at all. It's covered and we scoop multiple times a day, it might also be the silicate grit we use.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGc1HVceChI

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sydin posted:

Sometimes they fart and that smells.

True facts. Theres been times when I could have sworn they just didn't cover with litter and had to check to be sure. Nope, fucker just farted in the room I was in.

Sometimes when one cat is using the box the other will come over and attack, and the one in the box will run off without burying. That isn't cool either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometimes I worry that I'm just constantly smelling like cat poop and I just dont notice.

Then a cat takes an actual poop and my eyes just water.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Blackchamber posted:

True facts. Theres been times when I could have sworn they just didn't cover with litter and had to check to be sure. Nope, fucker just farted in the room I was in.

This increases in frequency as they get older. My 20 y/o cuts farts outside the room I'm in and I expect to see a fresh turd right next to me. Cue the search because elderly cats also occaisionally drop one when they wake up in a "oh hell, need a poop now" haze. Then you can be thankful it was 'just' a smell that makes the wallpaper curl.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ginger's kittens are one week old today! Got 'em checked out at the vet, everything is on track and they are healthy. Ginger is doing fine too. The orange fella's eyes are starting to open :)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ratzap posted:

This increases in frequency as they get older. My 20 y/o cuts farts outside the room I'm in and I expect to see a fresh turd right next to me. Cue the search because elderly cats also occaisionally drop one when they wake up in a "oh hell, need a poop now" haze. Then you can be thankful it was 'just' a smell that makes the wallpaper curl.

The culprit around here is just over a year old, eats everything the 4 year old does. To be fair though when the older one was the same age she dropped some smelly farts too. Perhaps the closer you are to each end of the spectrum the worse your silent-but-deadlies get?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Some litters stink worse than others. The arm & hammer clumping litter is surprisingly bad on this account, whereas the petsmart bulk litter and the weird pine pellets manage odor p well in my opinion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I use paper pellets which do the job well except in summer oh god help

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Our kitty has a scaley patch behind her ear that seems to be worsening. We have a vet-appointment on friday but I hope it's nothing that requires invasive treatment, she just got comfy in her new home. :(

Update: she's got ear-mites. Probably from the shelter or the Romanian garbage-dump she was living in before that. She got some ear-drops that she HATED and we have to administer them two more times, not looking forward to that but I hope it kills them because seeing her all uncomfortable and itchy breaks my heart.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Update: she's got ear-mites. Probably from the shelter or the Romanian garbage-dump she was living in before that. She got some ear-drops that she HATED and we have to administer them two more times, not looking forward to that but I hope it kills them because seeing her all uncomfortable and itchy breaks my heart.

Haha, I know that feeling. I give Mel a topical flea treatment every month after she got completely infested in 2017 despite being a 100% indoor cat, and turned my house into a flea nest for a couple months. You'd think after almost two years of it she'd get used to it, but no: every month it's the same hissing and scratching and running away routine. I essentially have to get her into a room, close off all exits and potential hiding spots, chase her into a corner, and firmly hold her in place for the oh-so-painful three second process of sticking a dropper up to the back of her neck and squeezing. :rolleyes:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
This is some type of viscous liquid that goes into her ears to smother the mites, I'm not looking forward to restraining her while she screams in distress. :(

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/gpfP6PG.gifv

He likes video games!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Who does he main? I'm gonna guess Kilik :allears:.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hullo cat thread.

I'm looking for a way to stop my kitties getting cat litter outside their box (and from there all over my apartment). I tried the tub-with-a-hole-in-the-lid thing, and using a tub does mean they don't kick litter out of the box. The thing is, when they finish, they shoot out of the hole like a cruise missile, spraying litter everywhere.

Any ideas? Any way I could get them to climb out instead, or something like that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo cat thread.

I'm looking for a way to stop my kitties getting cat litter outside their box (and from there all over my apartment). I tried the tub-with-a-hole-in-the-lid thing, and using a tub does mean they don't kick litter out of the box. The thing is, when they finish, they shoot out of the hole like a cruise missile, spraying litter everywhere.

Any ideas? Any way I could get them to climb out instead, or something like that?

Maybe try putting something in front at an angle so they have to come out slowly and turn right?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's been a little over two weeks now since Princess disappeared. We... May or may not have found her; after no leads or anything at all, other than me seeing something on a local animal shelter's site that I thought looked a lot like her but turned out to not be when we went in, yesterday my mom was informed by a friend that someone who's been working for one of them saw one of the signs I had put up and remembered that about two weeks ago, while working in the orchard our house is near, he found a dead cat between a couple of the rows that he thought looked like a dog had attacked it, and he buried it there. We went to the area we were told it was yesterday, but we were only told the general area and, given the rain and such over the past two weeks, we couldn't tell where it was; today they went and marked the spot exactly for us, so a few hours ago we went to dig it up. (We filled the hole back in after, of course.)

It's... Hard to say. The cat was absolutely covered in dirt from being buried, so any features were hard to make out; it definitely had long hair, but it looked like it had a lot more black hair than she did, and there was a spot of long hair on the back that almost looked gray or white to me, which she didn't have. On the other hand, the time and place the cat was found definitely fit; when I picked it up out of the hole it felt bigger and a lot heavier than she did, but given the dirt and being dead for two weeks, well...

We put the cat in a box and brought it home, and put it somewhere in the backyard that should be cool and out of reach from either our own animals or anything that could potentially wander by. I could go try to wash it off and get a better look, but... I don't know if I'm up to that right now. I wasn't emotional when digging it up, likely because I already cried a whole lot last night, but... Yeah. I'll likely do it tomorrow, and tomorrow I'll also be able to get my hands on a pet chip scanner that I already looked the info up for to make sure it's compatible with the kind of chips we got for our cats, so that should hopefully remove all doubt, whatever the case may be.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 24, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Man that’s really rough either way, I’m sorry you’re going through this. Hopefully of course you’ll find that it’s not yours and end up reuniting but perhaps at least get some closure. You’re going above and beyond❤️

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Annath's post reminded me of this moment when Tictac was going bonkers over me recreating her in Monster Hunter World. Bad picture because it's a shot from a video and I'm definitely too lazy to make a gif. And a good photo 'cause why not.

Sorry, Roland Jones. Hopefully the cat they found isn't her. Tictac escaped 3 days after I adopted her which was horrifying, but after about 2 and a half weeks I got a call that someone had found her and brought her to get her chip scanned. So there's still hope.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just scanned the body. It returned her chip ID. So... That's that. It's what I was expecting, but, I really was hoping otherwise.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Roland Jones posted:

Just scanned the body. It returned her chip ID. So... That's that. It's what I was expecting, but, I really was hoping otherwise.

I'm so sorry that was the outcome. :(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Roland Jones posted:

I'm so sorry, that's awful and I know nobody can say any magic words to make you feel better. I'm sure you gave her a great life and I'm sorry it ended like this. I hope you're doing as ok as possible.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo cat thread.

Box in a box, get a huge bin with a lid from Walmart, cut a door on one short side and put your box inside that box. When they get out they can kick litter all they want and it will be in the bigger bin not on the floor.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Roland Jones posted:

I'm really sorry it ended like that. You have my sympathies.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep looking at the number in the scanner log and comparing it to the one registered online, hoping that maybe I misread it and it's not actually hers.

Something I'm wondering is, what do I do about Salem? All three of the remaining animals seemed like they miss Princess, but Salem in particular had been with Princess almost constantly for around seven or eight months; the two grew up together. Some of his behavior, like lying down in the kitchen near the dog door and just staying there for a while, when that hadn't ever been a place he rested since we moved here before, and other things have made it seem like he's waiting for her to come back, though at least some of it might just be me projecting on him. They were really close either way, though, so I'm worried about him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Roland Jones posted:

I keep looking at the number in the scanner log and comparing it to the one registered online, hoping that maybe I misread it and it's not actually hers.

Something I'm wondering is, what do I do about Salem? All three of the remaining animals seemed like they miss Princess, but Salem in particular had been with Princess almost constantly for around seven or eight months; the two grew up together. Some of his behavior, like lying down in the kitchen near the dog door and just staying there for a while, when that hadn't ever been a place he rested since we moved here before, and other things have made it seem like he's waiting for her to come back, though at least some of it might just be me projecting on him. They were really close either way, though, so I'm worried about him.

I'm so sorry.

All you can do for Salem is just be attentive and take care of him, I think. Obviously you can't communicate to him that Princess is gone, but you can make sure he's eating/drinking, give him attention and play when he wants it, and generally keep things as comfortable and happy for him as they can be while he works through whatever's going on in his little cat brain. Thankfully, as far as I know, cats don't have the cognitive capacity to be incapacitated by grief in the long term, and he'll recover from this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Roland Jones, I'm so sorry to hear about Princess :(

I had many pets growing up, and one cat, Cinnamon, disappeared one day. She was always a little... off. She and her sister Shadow (my cat, Cinnamon was my brother's) were abandoned in a box on the side of the road, and we think Cinnamon had some heat associated brain damage. But she was sweet and loveable, and always came back after he outdoor adventures. One day, she just didn't. We don't know what happened, maybe she got hit by a car, or bit by a snake, or maybe she got "rescued" by a well meaning bystander. But I know how hard it is to loose one :(

Her sister Shadow went on to live to the ripe old age of 19/20 (we aren't 100% sure).

This was Shadow:

In current kitty news, I just got back from taking Nyx and Noctis to the vet for their next (last?) set of shots. Nyx got her Rabies, and Noctis got Rabies + 2nd Distemper.

Nyx has gained 3lbs since late December, clocking in at 5.5lbs:

and Noctis has gained a whopping 4.5lbs, more than doubling his late December weight to clock in at 6.4lbs:

He's a far cry from the sickly little runt that had me super worried about seizures or poisoning!

Here's them in motion around the same time, for a better perspective:

https://i.imgur.com/NFzYmOw.gifv

Annath fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

c

My heart is like breaking for you right now :( There is nothing more awful and sad than being in that early period of grief where you're still wrestling through denial/bargaining. Just any possible, feasible way that there may have been some kind of mistake or something someone missed or some 1 in a million miracle. It's just goddamn desperate, and it seems to make the world seem pointless in addition to making you feel powerless. Or at least, that's how I experience that sort of thing. I get really angry at the nature of mortality and listen to The Cure a lot - I'm a cliche at times, what can I say, But it does get better - it's a very, very dark place to be but time is always chugging along, and tunnels don't last forever. Even though right now, you might be thinking that the last thing in the world you want to do is "move on" from your recently departed friend.

I guess my best advice (and apropos of what you're saying) is that you should really both take comfort in the pets you have; take care of them and let them take care of you. And you know, cats are odd and quirky when it comes to cat-friends, it really depends on both cats, I've found. Some cats can handle it, and seem alright if they lose someone they were fairly heavily bonded to - they just go and bond and become best buddies with another cat (or even a dog) and it usually works out. From what I saw, it looks like Salem is really cuddly and bonded to your dog, which is both adorable and a really good thing. I know that you almost want to be worried, and I know you're aware that you're projecting a bit of your own sense of loss onto him, but that's honestly OK. Just, you know.. Be aware of it, and remember that rationally your pets are almost certainly handling this with less stress and grief than you are, so take care of yourself.

And heck, at least you HAVE more than one cat or dog.... I've tried, but my cat Jackie just *really* does not seem to get along too well with other cats in a variety of ways, and I couldn't really afford a dog money/time-wise, even if I had the space to keep one. I wouldn't mind having one someday...

But I just... Every time I read a post like yours it scares the bejeezus out of me because I love my current cat utterly to pieces, and I feel very affectionate and close to her in a way that I didn't think would happen. I used to mock the people who were so obsessive about their cats, and always wanted to talk about them or show videos or pictures, and I'd think how their cat is just a child surrogate. Now here I am, 33 years old, gay, male, single, childless, and I now totally act like my cat of 12 years is my 'child surrogate' in the same sort of way, and I feel really bad about being judgmental about it when I was younger.

All I'm saying is... don't feel bad about your grief. Allow yourself to experience it fully - let it wash over you and consume you and cry as hard and for as long as you need to. People shouldn't be nearly as embarrassed about grief, or crying, or big emotions. Grieving is just about the most naturally human process there is.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Roland Jones posted:

They were really close either way, though, so I'm worried about him.

My tuxedo cat died unexpectedly at the vet due to a kidney thing leaving behind his sister at home. I fretted so much over it, but after awhile you realize it's mostly projection. My remaining cat was certainly confused and disoriented over it, but after awhile we introduced a new cat that she completely took to after a couple weeks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I dunno what I’ll do once Jet passes. I’ll prolly take a break from cats for a while.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yep same here. I left Hugo with my parents when we moved out because Decoy was beating the everloving poo poo out of him for his food and he was basically developing anorexic tendencies, and hes living his best life with my dad who loves him more than his own children. Our new neighborhood is not at all safe for cats, especially a wanderer like Hugo, so we visit him often but I likely wont bring him to the new house. I dont think I will be getting a new cat for a few years. Decoy, despite being kind of a bastard, left a big void with his departure.

Oh, post mortem confirmed acromegaly in a big way too. His pituitary had a huge tumour that was leaving dents in his other cranial structures. Probably not hard to pinpoint why his personality changed so drastically.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 25, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Jesus. Poor little guy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm sorry about the kitty :(

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe try putting something in front at an angle so they have to come out slowly and turn right?

ColHannibal posted:

Box in a box, get a huge bin with a lid from Walmart, cut a door on one short side and put your box inside that box. When they get out they can kick litter all they want and it will be in the bigger bin not on the floor.

Thanks, these are great ideas. I'll give them a go.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Yep same here. I left Hugo with my parents when we moved out because Decoy was beating the everloving poo poo out of him for his food and he was basically developing anorexic tendencies, and hes living his best life with my dad who loves him more than his own children. Our new neighborhood is not at all safe for cats, especially a wanderer like Hugo, so we visit him often but I likely wont bring him to the new house. I dont think I will be getting a new cat for a few years. Decoy, despite being kind of a bastard, left a big void with his departure.

Oh, post mortem confirmed acromegaly in a big way too. His pituitary had a huge tumour that was leaving dents in his other cranial structures. Probably not hard to pinpoint why his personality changed so drastically.

Oh my gosh... Poor, poor poor POOR little Decoy... Well, I suppose it was 'poor enormous Decoy' by the end :( Makes me really sad because I still remember following the thread you made when you first got them, and both Hugo and Decoy looked so adorable together - in my mind they're still perfect little kittens lying together in a circular position so as to resemble a Yin/Yang :unsmith: Ah well...

But you know, don't be too goddamn hard on yourself for making the decision to put him down. It honestly and sincerely sounded like he was in a lot of pain, and (at least with my cat) when she's in pain she also acts very irritable and downright mean, sometimes. But really - if you start beating up on yourself, just remember that it's *supposed* to hurt, and feel crappy. You wouldn't be a human being if you didn't have regrets about putting your cat down. But remember that it was really the very best thing you could have done for him, and that in many ways it's a sacrifice that *you* are making, by making that decision, if that makes any sense.... the ethics of mercy-killings are never simple or easy, unfortunately.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My cats are loving idiots with no sense of self preservation.

I moved from an apartment to a fairly decent sized house just over a month ago and they love the stairs, the cardboard boxes, the space, etc.

But they are still idiots. Yesterday I got back from home and opened the bedroom window because it was a lovely evening, so what did my floofy black cat do? Prowl out into the window sill to explore before being too clumsy to turn around or back up. It took less than 10 minutes from the window opening for her to fall out of it then be utterly indignant that she could not levitate fifteen feet vertically to get back inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Long shot question comin' here. I've brought my cat (Tictac) into a house that already had a pretty nitpicky cat (Gigi). They were find being around each other for 3 months or so, but recently Gigi has gotten in the habit of preying on Tictac. She'll run after her and swipe at her if she can. Anyone else experience this or have a potential solution to it? We have some of those diffuser things, but obviously they ain't doin' much.