Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Remulak posted:

The one Marvel comic I owned as a kid described the kree/skrul war and the skrul were plants. Guess they left that out.

I liked the one where Skrulls were Deviants, but from another world.

Deviants and their counterparts, the Eternals, were created by the Celestials, gigantic alien space god robots.

The end goal was that the Deviants (ugly freaks of all shapes and sizes) would breed like mad and fill the world. The Eternals (beautiful immortal Aryan supermen) would keep them somewhat in line. Then, when they had finally reached a certain stage, the Celestial robot gods would return and eat everyone.

All superpowered races in the galaxy were the creation of robot space gods because they liked the flavour :fork:

Also, the Mutants might possibly be Deviants, too. Which explains why they have superpowers and come in all shapes and sizes.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Superhero movies that always make the hero take his mask off or make sure it's damaged enough to see the star's face. Spiderman is a big offender here.

Captain America invariably loses his mask about 5 minutes into any mission.

Deadpool doesn’t though. So the answer is to make your superhero hideous looking and then he’ll keep the mask on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BiggerBoat posted:

Superhero movies that always make the hero take his mask off or make sure it's damaged enough to see the star's face. Spiderman is a big offender here.

Hey they paid good money for Tobey Maguire's doughy babyface and by gum they’ll get their money's worth

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaunab posted:

James Mangold was a bad Wolverine director :colbert:

Yep the only good wolverines director was the one who directed origins

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mu Zeta posted:

He probably looked stupid wearing it

I remember reading something about the Superman that nearly got made with Nic Cage: apparently a whole bunch of stars wanted to do it, and they all stayed interested… until they tried the costume on. Apparently (and I can’t for the life of me remember where I read this) you could actually see the lightbulb moment where these really famous people looked at themselves in the mirror with the cape and whatnot on and go ‘uh, maybe not’.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The cool thing is that entire prop is 3d printed. Cloth, mask, everything.

Is this true?? I can't ever tell anymore.

It seems like at a certain point it would be more effort to 3D model, 3D print, sand away the print lines, finish & paint to resemble leather and cloth...than to just sew up some gloves and a wad of fabric to stand in for the folded-up suit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm waiting on sci-fi future movies to just have helmets that you can't see entirely. You put them on and for all intents and purposes they've got no armor until a laser hits them and their face freaks out like static on a TV.

Like this but also for the outside of the helmet.

http://gph.is/2cHNx1P

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Captain Marvel's Mohawk looked so dumb.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Not a movie, but I have been watching Lucifer and it irritates me to no end with what they've done with the character. If you're trying to generate sympathy for satan, it's dumb to do it by just making him turn into a human and reject who he is. Supernatural did it so much better. After watching that I thought "you know, maybe lucifer wasn't that bad and is just misunderstood, god should forgive him". But Lucifer just makes me think "god that guy's annoying, send him back to hell".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lucifer makes me weep for the Sandman/Lucifer HBO extravaganza we’ll never have :smith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Captain Marvel's Mohawk looked so dumb.

We're going outside and we are going to fist fight over this.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not a movie, but I have been watching Lucifer and it irritates me to no end with what they've done with the character. If you're trying to generate sympathy for satan, it's dumb to do it by just making him turn into a human and reject who he is. Supernatural did it so much better. After watching that I thought "you know, maybe lucifer wasn't that bad and is just misunderstood, god should forgive him". But Lucifer just makes me think "god that guy's annoying, send him back to hell".

I like Lucifer the show but dear god does it fail to live up to what it could have been. Chloe and Lucifer are the least interesting, least developed characters on the show and experience the least amount of growth and change. If you just pretend the show is about everyone else, it's not a bad show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

And my axe

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

I like Lucifer the show but dear god does it fail to live up to what it could have been. Chloe and Lucifer are the least interesting, least developed characters on the show and experience the least amount of growth and change. If you just pretend the show is about everyone else, it's not a bad show.

Hopefully the Netflix version will be better, they cut the episode order from 22 to 13, so there will be a lot less wheel spinning. Or they could just make the whole show about :allears: Ella :allears: and that'd be fine with me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea after that finale it's safe to say that Luci and Chloe have GOT to change a bit.

Can't wait for it :devil:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not a movie, but I have been watching Lucifer and it irritates me to no end with what they've done with the character. If you're trying to generate sympathy for satan

Have some courtesy?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Not a movie but the youtube red show Origin is so bad and dumb with a lot of irritating moments.
I'm sure none of you will bother even seeing the Free episodes so no spoiler tags.

The show is about passengers on an interstellar ship waking up from their sleep pods and the rest of the ship, crew and passengers, are evacuated.
The first irritating moment is when it made me think this show had some chutzpah and would go places.

Three of the passengers start climbing up a service ladder at the center of a really long shaft with a central pillar to try and find the bridge of the ship. As they climb one of the people down below gets anxious and wants to press a control button to see if it helps. The button starts retracting the ladder rungs on the pillar the others are climbing on. As the rungs close in, one guy doesn't make it to the top and falls but the ladder rungs don't sever any fingers or toes when retracted into the pillar.

He falls and lands on the elevator module that was activated by the guy who pushed the button down below. :gibs:
And everyone has to pile in to the thing smeared with remains.

Irrationally-est of all one of the characters notices when when things are wet. First he notices a towel by a pool in a crew rec room, "Still damp." And later after one of the passengers takes a shower in the crew quarters while a group is searching for answers, he runs into them and asks, "Why is his hair wet?"
WHY? WHY IS THIS A CHARACTER TRAIT? WHO WROTE THIS? WHAT WAS THIS SUPPOSED TO COME OF LATER? gently caress YOU.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Mar 22, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
There is so much of that show that's bad, but you found two of the weirdest, most inane things to bitch about. Well, friend, you're in the right thread!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a Netflix Braveheart sequel starring Chris Pine that came out last year. There's an epic final battle scene at the end of the movie and the battle just... ends. The bad guy is caught but they let him walk away. Same thing happens a few times in the show Vikings. There's a battle and this warrior bishop guy is on a horse and gets knocked down. For whatever reason they all stop fighting and let him get back on the horse. Then the fighting starts again. Why are battles just randomly stopping and why do they let the enemy live?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mu Zeta posted:

There was a Netflix Braveheart sequel starring Chris Pine that came out last year. There's an epic final battle scene at the end of the movie and the battle just... ends. The bad guy is caught but they let him walk away. Same thing happens a few times in the show Vikings. There's a battle and this warrior bishop guy is on a horse and gets knocked down. For whatever reason they all stop fighting and let him get back on the horse. Then the fighting starts again. Why are battles just randomly stopping and why do they let the enemy live?

Yeah, that was okay but the pacing was weird and even though the production value seemed high the battle seemed sloppy like you said.

I'm watching The Last Kingdom right now, and both it and the Last King or whatever its called both do the cliche "HOLD! HOOOOOLD! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!" thing from Braveheart, although without even having the same tactic which made it worth trying to wait to the last minute. Just so dumb.

How hard is it to just hire one nerdy historian to give you some historic ideas for your battle scene?

Another one is Kings leading their troops on the front line of battle. Like, lmao, how stupid would you have to be? Maybe you ride up front to give a rousing speech, but then you command from behind.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The season of Lucifer that I watched had a season-long plotline about God's wife escaped from Hell.

I think at least one of the human characters knew about all the supernatural stuff at that point. And while having characters act like lore nerds may not make for good television, but how do you not just stop what you're doing, sit Lucifer down, and demand that he explain what that means, if and how Jesus fits into all this, what parts of the Bible are and are not true, and the history of the universe in general.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
IIRC Linda ends up chatting up Amenadiel and Maze to get the answers to her questions at the bar a few times.

I think she talked to Mom once or twice, but the whole got tortured by Mom kinda killed the kinship and chances to ask her what's up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mu Zeta posted:

The battle ended because the English basically figured out that the Bruce had out-thought them and they would lose.

People have this understanding that every battle in that era was a knock-down drag-out fight where everyone was killed, but realistically, most of them ended when someone got the upper hand and the other side retreated in relatively good order because armies are loving EXPENSIVE and you don't want to get them killed unnecessarily, and they were often more like diplomatic duels than real efforts to kill people. And in this particular battle, the Bruce had massively poorer numbers than his opponent, and little or no cavalry, so once they decided to retreat, following and routing them really wouldn't have worked well.

In short, most peoples' understanding of basically everything about medieval combat is horribly unrealistic, and The Last Kingdom did it better than many if not most films, whilst giving some concessions to Hollywoodism (you paid for your star, he's going to take his helmet off and fight on the front lines, basically). IIRC it's actually not a terrible dramatic reproduction of the Battle of Loudoun Hill, with that one factor in mind.

The stuff with Edward is pretty egregious though. They probably wouldn't have killed him in that situation but they definitely would have held him hostage and it's silly that they didn't.

I was pretty impressed with that film though, overall. It treats history a lot less loosely than most - armour actually works, for one thing.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

God Hole posted:

imo the newest Mission Impossible is how one should do modern action right. I loved that movie, and spent almost the entire runtime thoroughly engrossed.

I say almost because despite how nerve-wracking and badass the bathroom fight scene was, I couldn't help thinking that in a night club that large, packed with that many people, that the bathroom would without a doubt be FILLED with dudes the entire time, with some type of security posted outside the door. You would not have enough time or privacy to have a ten-minute gripping fight to the death, smashing toilets and firing off pistols without alerting literally everyone in the club.

I enjoyed the start but by the end I was getting impatient because its was too much ridiculousness and all the "twists" were obvious. That loving helicopter scene had me audibly sighing in the cinemas. I guess I can't stand Superman Tom Cruise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

The stuff with Edward is pretty egregious though. They probably wouldn't have killed him in that situation but they definitely would have held him hostage and it's silly that they didn't.

I was pretty impressed with that film though, overall. It treats history a lot less loosely than most - armour actually works, for one thing.

Edward would have been ransomed along with any other noblemen they managed to grab. So yeah, l can see not killing him, but letting him go was weird.

If you want realistic battles on the British Isles, Norsemen on Netflix is surprisingly authentic for a comedy. Of course most of that is just rape and plunder and cutting off dicks.

PancakeTransmission posted:

I enjoyed the start but by the end I was getting impatient because its was too much ridiculousness and all the "twists" were obvious. That loving helicopter scene had me audibly sighing in the cinemas. I guess I can't stand Superman Tom Cruise.

I usually can’t stand superhuman action heroes, but in Fallout they seemed to do a good job of at least making the stuff Cruise does look difficult and painful. I went back and watched Rogue Nation and that didn’t have quiet the charm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Hopefully the Netflix version will be better, they cut the episode order from 22 to 13, so there will be a lot less wheel spinning. Or they could just make the whole show about :allears: Ella :allears: and that'd be fine with me.

Wow, I can't believe that character actually appealed to someone.

She's the most focus-grouped manic pixie dream girl in modern television. Roy from The Simpsons for a new generation.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dr Christmas posted:

The season of Lucifer that I watched had a season-long plotline about God's wife escaped from Hell.

I think at least one of the human characters knew about all the supernatural stuff at that point. And while having characters act like lore nerds may not make for good television, but how do you not just stop what you're doing, sit Lucifer down, and demand that he explain what that means, if and how Jesus fits into all this, what parts of the Bible are and are not true, and the history of the universe in general.

Yeah pretty much everyone treats lucifer with a "oh yeah, ok buddy" thing when he says who he is, even when they have seen that he is indeed that guy.

The mother plot line irritated me too. You're the wife of God, why aren't you like...doing anything aside from possessing some lady? Don't you have a world to end or something? Again, Supernatural did it better (albeit with his sister, not wife). I wasn't a Darkness fan from the start but at least they did something with her instead of just making her something else for lucifer to bitch and moan and cry about.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sassassin posted:

Wow, I can't believe that character actually appealed to someone.

She's the most focus-grouped manic pixie dream girl in modern television. Roy from The Simpsons for a new generation.

Anytime a crime procedural introduces a 'quirky' forensics or computer lady, I immediately know its a trash characters. They're never interesting, and always have the same shtick, no matter the show.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Push El Burrito posted:

My wife agreed with me, but as far as I know, we are the only two who thought that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, usually when I think Mohawks, I think of Thunder, from Killer Instinct. I can even hear how the announcer used to say it in my mind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does Sam sound Irish in the Lord of the Rings

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It just seems that way because he talks about po tay toes a lot.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does Sam sound Irish in the Lord of the Rings

He's a Hobbit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But Bilbo and Frodo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's a lower-class Hobbit.

Thing is about LOTR is that most of the main characters, including the entire Fellowship, are at least minor nobility, hence why they can get up and go off on a big adventure.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, he's the working class Hobbit who knows his place and is eternally loyal to his employer.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They're friends you simpletons.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Saw Us.

The movie is legit creepy and scary and I loved the slasher parts, but the Twilight Zone style reveal is a bit too much and took me out of it (I loved the same kind of reveal in Get Out, I guess scale matters). Also the big plot twist (Red's identity) feels very "cheaty" (I guess the idea is that, after a while having swapped places, Adelaide's and Red's souls also get swapped?) and also the most predictable twist ever in a movie about doubles.

Also I think the movie has committed a cardinal sin in horror movies (that usually affects zombie flicks): give non-supernatural antagonists some kind of invulnerability when not dealing with the main cast.
This is even more aggravating after the big reveal of the doubles identity, especially so since this is a movie with a clear message about the current U.S. reality. No one has a gun? For all the scare factor and the element of surprise, the attackers are still imperfect copies of the original (clearly seen not having full body control and mental acuity) and are armed with scissors.

There is not a single other "non-double" person that survived the night, around the main cast?

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Mar 23, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, he's the working class Hobbit who knows his place and is eternally loyal to his employer.

It's closer to a master slave relationship. He serves Frodo as his father served the Bagginses before him.

Sam is the servant Tolkien fantasised about having: surprisingly literate and willing to die pointlessly to fulfil a sense of duty to his better.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clearly, God fucks.

Probably not a horndog like Zeus tho.