Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

As far as building coal power, there's no need to ship the coal back to your central factory to burn it. Just build a row of power plants right at the coal mine and run a power line back to your base.

Something I stumbled onto after a couple of days: You can build a belt splitter or merger directly onto a belt instead of building it first and then connecting the belt to it. Just aim at the belt with the merger/splitter selected and it'll snap right on, even if it's up in the air or on a slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Triarii posted:

As far as building coal power, there's no need to ship the coal back to your central factory to burn it. Just build a row of power plants right at the coal mine and run a power line back to your base.

Something I stumbled onto after a couple of days: You can build a belt splitter or merger directly onto a belt instead of building it first and then connecting the belt to it. Just aim at the belt with the merger/splitter selected and it'll snap right on, even if it's up in the air or on a slope.
W... what? Whaaaat?

This changes everything, Jesus Christ.

I've been making big old spaghetti factories that have been saved entirely by stacking storage boxes and running conveyors through the sky, but it's been nearly impossible to expand production solely because I can't find room for mergers/splitters. This is amazing.

In return for learning this I'll share something I leaned way too late: when you get the color gun you can right click to open up a list of colors (this took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out- I thought it was just a blue gun), and if you change those colors anything you painted with them will retroactively change.

Well if you change the first preset that changes the default color of your stuff. As soon as you get the gun you can change the color of everything at once.

I discovered that right after painstakingly painting every building in my factory green.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

If I run a splitter, with two outputs, and one of the outputs is stopped (trying to fill the fuel tank of a tractor station for instance) does the other belt then output the full capacity, or still only half?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

full capacity

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

This exists.

Where? Tier 6? Or are the splitters self aware of item needs per split belt?

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Went exploring. Found a cave with skittering noises inside. Threw caution to the wind and investigated. Deep inside I was attacked and killed by a terrifying spider horror. 5/5

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So how do you actually drop items in this game? I want to pet the Doggo but he keeps running away from me. :(

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I found a crashed probe next to a huge lake with like four of those rear end in a top hat charge dogs clustered around it and a bigger, meaner boss charge dog leading them.

I looked at my dinky Rebar Gun with twelve shots left, and I walked away.

I did build my base out over a different lake this game though. The Space Elevator is on its own 7x7 platform rising out of the water. It looks pretty drat good.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Jagged Jim posted:

So how do you actually drop items in this game? I want to pet the Doggo but he keeps running away from me. :(

Just drag it off the inventory screen

Another thing helpful if you're bad at reading tooltips. You can ctrl+drag between inventories to move all of a type of item between things

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 22, 2019

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
You can just ctrl-click for all of that type and it'll shift it over. No dragging required.

Shift click for just that one stack.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

JuffoWup posted:

Where? Tier 6? Or are the splitters self aware of item needs per split belt?

I'm not sure what the trigger was, I was at work while my friends played, but in our shared game there is a smart splitter already unlocked and buildable, and we can research in tier 6 a programmable splitter.

E: I think they came from researching supercomputers?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

You can just ctrl-click for all of that type and it'll shift it over. No dragging required.

Shift click for just that one stack.

Shift click works. Ctrl Click does nothing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Well, I finally caved in last night, downloaded the epic games launcher and bought Satisfactory. ... It's quite satisfactory, heh. Put ~4 hours into the grassy plains map and then started a new game in the jungle map. I'm still playing that map nearly 6 hours later.. stayed up all night playing this dumb game, lol. It's really good so far; this is the game that Fortresscraft Evolved wishes it could be.

Finally got to coal power about half an hour ago, found a coal patch and set up a mine and decided to set up power right there too since it's an infinite deposit. It's a pure deposit so at 120 coal per minute, I got about 500MW of power to use up now once I build 5 more coal gens. Almost feels like cheating after the hassle I went thru to get biofuel automated and a biogen array.

Edit: Also, I am abusing the gently caress out of the foundations since they aren't affected by gravity or anything. Built a hover platform over the valley next to my base area and put the space elevator there. I still need to do a fuckton of rebuilding and fixing this production line.. recently tore up everything to automate reinforced plates at 30/min thanks to a 10 plate + 24 screw = 3 plate special recipe that happens to use exactly 60 screws per minute.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 22, 2019

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Well, I finally caved in last night, downloaded the epic games launcher and bought Satisfactory. ... It's quite satisfactory, heh. Put ~4 hours into the grassy plains map and then started a new game in the jungle map. I'm still playing that map nearly 6 hours later.. stayed up all night playing this dumb game, lol. It's really good so far; this is the game that Fortresscraft Evolved wishes it could be.

Finally got to coal power about half an hour ago, found a coal patch and set up a mine and decided to set up power right there too since it's an infinite deposit. It's a pure deposit so at 120 coal per minute, I got about 500MW of power to use up now once I build 5 more coal gens. Almost feels like cheating after the hassle I went thru to get biofuel automated and a biogen array.

Edit: Also, I am abusing the gently caress out of the foundations since they aren't affected by gravity or anything. Built a hover platform over the valley next to my base area and put the space elevator there. I still need to do a fuckton of rebuilding and fixing this production line.. recently tore up everything to automate reinforced plates at 30/min thanks to a 10 plate + 24 screw = 3 plate special recipe that happens to use exactly 60 screws per minute.

oh hey, you built your factory exactly where mine is on that map (your coal plant area looks almost identical to mine, too). if you put some power shards in the miner you can get up to 300/min which is enough to run all that power *and* feed your steel industry.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finally exploring far away, looking for oil. Driving around a big lake, and there's more and more of these creatures that shoot magic missiles. Any tips for dealing with them? They take more rebar gun shots than I can hit before dying to them, and fighting them with the sword isn't very successful either.
Edit: They seem to ignore me while I'm in the tractor, but attack as soon as I step off.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 22, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hi folks, how do you swim up and down? Also is anyone playing multiplayer? I want to try that with fellow goons.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Slickdrac posted:

So it doesn't. Hmm. I could swear it once did. Perhaps I just mixed it up with Factorio.

It really should, though.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Slickdrac posted:

It's Ctrl click and drag. You drag one stack to the desired container and it moves all stacks of the same type.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm not sure what the trigger was, I was at work while my friends played, but in our shared game there is a smart splitter already unlocked and buildable, and we can research in tier 6 a programmable splitter.

E: I think they came from researching supercomputers?
Researching what now? I've reached every base technology, I thought. Was the tech unlocked by scanning something?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

It's Ctrl click and drag. You drag one stack to the desired container and it moves all stacks of the same type.

And we're full circle on this quote chain :v:

nielsm posted:

Finally exploring far away, looking for oil. Driving around a big lake, and there's more and more of these creatures that shoot magic missiles. Any tips for dealing with them? They take more rebar gun shots than I can hit before dying to them, and fighting them with the sword isn't very successful either.
Edit: They seem to ignore me while I'm in the tractor, but attack as soon as I step off.

Best way I've found is to jump over them repeatedly and stab em in the back as you sail over. They're still going to get some good shots, but losing 4 health is better than 12. If there's several, you could ragdoll one of them with the tractor away from the other, then fight it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pokie posted:

Hi folks, how do you swim up and down? Also is anyone playing multiplayer? I want to try that with fellow goons.

I'd be up for trying out multiplayer.

Eiba posted:

Researching what now? I've reached every base technology, I thought. Was the tech unlocked by scanning something?

Have you found Caterium ore? I think it might be the basis for an additional "secret" tech tree. Just finished researching the first stage myself.

Slickdrac posted:

Best way I've found is to jump over them repeatedly and stab em in the back as you sail over. They're still going to get some good shots, but losing 4 health is better than 12. If there's several, you could ragdoll one of them with the tractor away from the other, then fight it.

I managed to kill one, with the sword. They seem to be excessively good at dodging the rebar gun, jumping away as soon as you fire, before the dart hits.
I haven't checked, but are there any differences between their colors? I've seen green, yellow, and red ones, and think the yellow and red might be more difficult than the green ones.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, you need to find a stack of Caterium ore and plug it into the MAM before you can even make stuff with it, it's the source of the "quickwire" that someone else was wondering how the hell you make. I haven't seen any big deposits of it, just yellow-ribboned rocks, so keep your eyes out.

Bauxite and sulfer rocks are also around but I don't think they do anything yet.

EDIT: I appreciate that copper ore is green, as in real life.

Ambaire posted:

Hahahah, that is exactly what I am doing right now, maybe in the exact same spot. The jungle map is rich with resources but it's super-cramped, so I'm making my own space by building a giant platform. All these resource nodes right next to a cliff is basically asking for it.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 22, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

nielsm posted:

I'd be up for trying out multiplayer.

I am pokie#3161 on Discord. If you prefer some other platform to connect on, let me know.

VVV: that's very neat. I never thought of doing that.

pokie fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 22, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Man, finding a green power slug early on for allowing underclocking is so loving good if you don't mind a bit of extra space. A full speed smelter uses 4MW for 30 items a minute. A half speed smelter uses 1.3MW for 15 items a minute. Two half speed smelters give 30 items a minute for only 2/3 the power draw of a single full speed.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

pokie posted:

I am pokie#3161 on Discord. If you prefer some other platform to connect on, let me know.

I'd like to try some multiplayer if people are up for it, Xerophyte#0377 on Discord. Could just make a server and link it here, but I have no idea if it's a real problem to do that publicly in Games rather than PGS or something.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Speedball posted:

Bauxite and sulfer rocks are also around but I don't think they do anything yet.

Not until the next set of tiers, aluminum is definitely in a later tier, and supposedly gunpowder too (sulfur) with a path to start blowing up boulders/rocks.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Really loving this game, here's my new steel processing center, not totally efficient but it's using the entirety of a Mk 3 belt worth of steel - 3 constructors making steel beams and 3 making steel pipes. Also experimented with my first vertical belt, kind of annoying to setup but works well!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 23, 2019

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

I'd like to try some multiplayer if people are up for it, Xerophyte#0377 on Discord. Could just make a server and link it here, but I have no idea if it's a real problem to do that publicly in Games rather than PGS or something.

Servers are P2P and invite only atm, so unfortunately a dedicated or public(ish) server is not a possibility.

I'm really digging this game. The visuals are awesome, the gameplay is great, and once you figure out some quirks at the beginning (like foundations and snapping) things really get fun. I definitely have some things I think could be done differently, like the early-game power not being automatable, and some pain of EA like the game not being super well optimized (on a 970 it chugs hard at medium settings). But overall it's great, I haven't had a ton of time to play it yet and haven't worked through the tech tree but I'm having a great time.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Taffer posted:

Servers are P2P and invite only atm, so unfortunately a dedicated or public(ish) server is not a possibility.

Clarification: a Discord server, not a Satisfactory server. A lot of the threads in Games that have discords only put the invite links in PGS or PMs, since reading Games isn't paywalled. I have no idea if that's just paranoia or a legit necessary defense against getting flooded by bots or something.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Triarii posted:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

:wtc:

I had no idea / couldn't figure it out, even after the 'snap on' comment. This changes everything...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, the "blade runners" you get from Caterium research are pretty great. Faster running speed, higher jumps, less fall damage threshold. The power poles that have six openings are a nice second.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Standing on a level 3 belt is terrifying. On the up side if I time my jump right I can use them to launch myself all the way across my base in a single jump.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

stand in place and rapidly press a and d. their aim goes to where your current velocity will place you when their shot connects, so you just need to change direction after they shoot. so, if you a and d rapidly, they'll constantly spit to either side of you

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Eiba posted:

Like I said, I'm not sure what the trigger for unlocking it was. I think someone said they scanned a supercomputer in the MAM.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I unlocked the smart splitter by researching a stack of Quickwire in the MAM, then unlocking the new milestone in HUB.

Spoiler for location of Caterium near the grassy plains: Follow this belt from the three iron nodes by a cliff - Cross a patch of sand and ascend onto a cliff overlooking a very deep valley - Caterium node is blocked by two large boulders you can't remove (in EA), but can still place portable miners on it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Will I find a way to be in or remove this green gas stuff?

Also have some pictures of my spaghettifactory

open area

second floor with power production

underneath power production

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 23, 2019

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yes, there's a gas mask

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

In which situations do y'all use truck stations?

That coal must have a way to go to get here :). I built like 32 coal plants in the jungle-like area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pokie posted:

In which situations do y'all use truck stations?

That coal must have a way to go to get here :). I built like 32 coal plants in the jungle-like area.

yeah I've got two 500 or so meter long belts out to the closest two coal deposits.

I'm using truck stations for loading my space elevator. I don't know if its any better than belts I just wanted to use them for something.