Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

:psyduck:

How am I the first to call him out on this

Is he wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ok, that was fun. I wasn't so sure about Shazam but every new clip is warming me up to it. It does seem to be something different than your usual origin story and these days, I'm willing to give a shot at anything that breaks the mould of superhero films (read Marvel's)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's right

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So amped I got tickets for the early screening Saturday, thanks again to teagone for the heads up. Anyone else going?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Enough time has passed, and inflation is bad enough, since the beginning of the $15 minimum wage movement that it’s really more up to $18 now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So... i guess this is just a reading comprehension thing? I'm pretty confused right now. I guess he was just saying that he thinks minimum wage should be higher? I thought maybe I stumbled on some rich goon conspiracy where it turns out everyone on the forums is actually super rich and out of touch except for me.

edit: vvv In that case I shall take a moment to bask in the wonderful escapist fantasy of a $23 minimum wage. Something so unrealistic that it can only exist in a comic book or movie.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 22, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So... i guess this is just a reading comprehension thing? I'm pretty confused right now. I guess he was just saying that he thinks minimum wage should be higher?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

barely above what minimum wage should be

Should be, not is. So, yes, you just read it wrong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah minimum wage should be a lot higher based on inflation and standard of living like PJ said, and that's even before you factor in benefits which are usually not included in your per hour wage and also would drive the actual value up even further

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Poor people should probably just die and give all their money to jeff bezos

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Poor people should probably just die and give all their money to jeff bezos

But then who would work in his warehouses?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

One of the seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVDs played every episode simultaneously if you play all so just run 20 instances of VLC and see if the movies sync up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ah yes, the golden days if YouTube when you opened 10 tabs to watch a movie and got then all pre-buffered.

How come that isn't a thing anymore? I used to watch movies during graveyard shifts that way

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

edit: vvv In that case I shall take a moment to bask in the wonderful escapist fantasy of a $23 minimum wage. Something so unrealistic that it can only exist in a comic book or movie.

You don't even have 10% of the knowledge it would take to say this with any kind of certainty. Shut it.

Guy A. Person posted:

But then who would work in his warehouses?

Yes, the robots are programmed to be miserable, exactly like the humans. That's the way Jeff wants it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Aces High posted:

Ah yes, the golden days if YouTube when you opened 10 tabs to watch a movie and got then all pre-buffered.

How come that isn't a thing anymore? I used to watch movies during graveyard shifts that way

A combination of factors, partly not wanting people to fish completed copyright streams out of their cache driving innovation in streaming methods which didn't keep a full cache, party streaming sites not wanting to waste bandwidth sending you the full video if you weren't watching, and partly adaptive bitrate stuff which scales the quality up and down depending on the detected bandwidth and play rate - so you aren't necessarily recieving one complete file.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1109173854964981760

I'm unreasonably upset at the lack of Batfleck on these collages.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They need to do some careful screening because I would be a little wary of letting a random marvel superfan start shooting off hot takes on Black Panther and Captain Marvel after 35+ hours of no sleep.

Heated Marvel Moment

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New picture of Todd Phillips' Joker

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUvx21J04V/?utm_source=ig_embed

Presumably, to signal the start of the editing stage.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You don't even have 10% of the knowledge it would take to say this with any kind of certainty. Shut it.

Oh no how dare I wish I had a $23 minimum wage, what a huge rear end in a top hat I am. Kindly go gently caress yourself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh no how dare I wish I had a $23 minimum wage, what a huge rear end in a top hat I am. Kindly go gently caress yourself.

um not to defend his hostility, but he wasn't dragging you for saying you wished you had a higher minimum wage, but for writing it off as a far flung fantasy. It can be a little insulting when there are people fighting for that very thing

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
23 is inevitable, as soon as it equals about 7.50 in todays money

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shazam! review embargo lifts tomorrow at 6PM eastern.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1109173854964981760

I'm unreasonably upset at the lack of Batfleck on these collages.

Yeah I was gonna say, this would be exciting to me if I could watch Batman v Superman, and Justice League. I actually have been wanting to watch those again, but they are not available on Amazon Digital.

teagone posted:

Expecting Critic Reviews to be very negative.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I dunno if the term is well known in the States, but I guess its more akin to a living wage. The movement to make the minimum wage not some arbitrary bullshit nothing low number for children but an actual wage that an adult could be reasonably expected to support a lifestyle from despite only being deemed worthy of being the lowest remunerated of the working humans. To be honest I'm not surprised a marvel movie fan is unable to contemplate such a (not very) radical shift in society.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The minimum wage was originally established in the United States to be a living wage that could support at least two people on just that income.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Expecting Critic Reviews to be very negative.

I'm expecting a lot of backhanded positive reviews. Like them complimenting DC for going full Marvel.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm not sure thats true but don't know enough to say it isn't. It is interesting to note that apparently the inflation adjusted amount peaked 50 years ago! Minimum wage americans earn less today, relatively, than they did half a century ago. If you were to match that figure, not improve, just match they'd be on about 20bucks an hour. Rather than what 7 or 8? Sad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where I live (Seattle) the minimum wage is $15, and this is hailed as amazing but the reality is that you can't live on this amount either. A realistic livable wage where I live is about $30 an hour.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

So... i guess this is just a reading comprehension thing? I'm pretty confused right now. I guess he was just saying that he thinks minimum wage should be higher? I thought maybe I stumbled on some rich goon conspiracy where it turns out everyone on the forums is actually super rich and out of touch except for me.

Should have been $21 an hour in 2012 if it had been adjusted appropriately for inflation, productivity growth, etc since 1968

https://inequality.org/research/minimum-wage/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I grabbed early tickets so I suppose I'll see.

Captain Marvel (the uh, DC one) is probably my literal favorite superhero ever so I've got hopes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just got back from Shazam myself. I liked it but it does a lot of things I'm predisposed to like and having a superhero movie set in Philadelphia (and very informed by Philadelphia as a city) predisposed me to liking it. It's rather slow and the action is kinda bland but I appreciate some of the things it does.

If you're expecting something Snydery or even Aquamanny though you're in for a disappointment. It's blatantly set in the DCEU down to Superman literally showing up at the end and a Batarang being used against the villain but it doesn't have any of the same ethos. It's Big as a Superhero movie and it wears that on its sleeve. (Yes, there is a piano-on-the-floor scene.) The cast of kids is really charming and easily the strong point of the film and honestly the superheroics are pretty bland. Freddy bouncing off Billy and Captain Marvel is the selling point of the film more than anything so it makes sense that they'd focus on that for the advertisements.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Just got back from Shazam myself. I liked it but it does a lot of things I'm predisposed to like and having a superhero movie set in Philadelphia (and very informed by Philadelphia as a city) predisposed me to liking it. It's rather slow and the action is kinda bland but I appreciate some of the things it does.

If you're expecting something Snydery or even Aquamanny though you're in for a disappointment. It's blatantly set in the DCEU down to Superman literally showing up at the end and a Batarang being used against the villain but it doesn't have any of the same ethos. It's Big as a Superhero movie and it wears that on its sleeve. (Yes, there is a piano-on-the-floor scene.) The cast of kids is really charming and easily the strong point of the film and honestly the superheroics are pretty bland. Freddy bouncing off Billy and Captain Marvel is the selling point of the film more than anything so it makes sense that they'd focus on that for the advertisements.

Cavill as Superman? He have any lines?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Cavill as Superman? He have any lines?

The face is hidden but it's the suit. No lines.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I am disappoint.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wack.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

:smith:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

ImpAtom posted:

100% agree, just got home from the theatre. It's certainly not a perfect film, but it's incredibly honest about what it is. As someone that would rather read silver age DC over pretty much anything else, I loved it. It remembered that comics are supposed to be fun.

the entire movie is basically an origin story

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Shazam was fun, but was chasing the Marvel vibe so much that the end credits were a sketchbook cartoon montage set to a Ramones song lol

The humor and family themes were well done. Some of the action could have been better, and the seven deadly sins were kind of generic. There was some good imagery especially early on but I feel like there was some missed potential, but there wasn't anything super stiff or awkward and it was overall pretty consistent. The acting from some of the foster siblings varied which I guess is to be expected. Freddy and Billy (more-so in adult form) played off each other incredibly well.

Definitely enjoyed and I think people will eat up the tone and (final battle spoiler) full color-coded Marvel family so I can't see it getting bad reviews. It checks the boxes for what a super hero movie is "supposed" to be.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ImpAtom posted:

sounds like I'm gonna enjoy this one, although Superman not really being Cavill is a bummer

I didn't think much of Captain Marvel (Shazam) growing up, but I liked how they used him in JLU and Young Justice so I've grown fond of the aesthetic of a kid/young teenager getting to be both an adult AND a superhero!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wonder how many reviewers will be able to not mention Marvel in their write-ups for Shazam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is the talking tiger in this? Makes or breaks my hype.