Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ilor posted:

...on a loving PT Cruiser, of all things. :mad:

It is truly the most cursed of all vehicles.

EDIT: It's like a sporty hearse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Schadenboner posted:

Im teh lack of a cohesive focal point.

Hmm yes, you are right. No focal point. Absolute garbage.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Technically speaking, it's fantastic.

Compositionally and conceptually however...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SteelMentor posted:

It's Warhammer 40k. Busy baroque and grotesquely gaudy is its thing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Those space marines' shoulder pads are too large!" "That tank has too many barrels!" "Why would an ork have a transforming trukk?"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's Warhammer 40k. Busy baroque and grotesquely gaudy is its thing.

You can be all of those things and yet have a clear composition and focal point. The land raider just looks like a pile of incredibly painted miniatures stuck together.

I think the original green version was much better and then the painter decided to add the 4 random sisters perched on the top deck. Now it looks like a Raging Heroes vehicle minus the tits.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Z the IVth posted:

You can be all of those things and yet have a clear composition and focal point. The land raider just looks like a pile of incredibly painted miniatures stuck together.

I think the original green version was much better and then the painter decided to add the 4 random sisters perched on the top deck. Now it looks like a Raging Heroes vehicle minus the tits.

This. There's no rhyme or reason to why poo poo is stuck on there. They started with a decent concept, turn a Land Raider into a mobile shrine/pulpit, but just couldn't help but jam more figures and more turrets (that on closer inspection should have their crew's legs inside or dangerously close to the tracks) until it looks like a mess.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

SteelMentor posted:

I love this thing, but it just doesn't work. Too many units on the tank with too little contrast from the tank itself. Even those are covered with elements of the tank to distract you from being able to see them clearly. This model works when you see extreme closeups, but as they pull the camera back its just a tossed salad of confusing elements.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like if they put that on a baneblade chassis, it'd be a lot better. More space to put them and would allow the central pulpit to actually take the stage. Think Yarick's Throne of Ignorance (i think that's what it's called) but with nuns.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was actually looking for Inqusition Land Raiders because I have an idea for a courthouse scene on top of a Prometheus with Krazypant’s throne of judgement and a little English courtroom in front of it (with the table full of books and the bar and box and so forth).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Z the IVth posted:

Look again at the closeups top right, thar be the tits.

Best bit for me though is that the cardinal dude needs to stand on a box to see over the pulpit properly.

It is all really well painted, if only they had sprung for a bigger chassis to mount it on.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I think it's great.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Irate Tree posted:

I feel like if they put that on a baneblade chassis, it'd be a lot better. More space to put them and would allow the central pulpit to actually take the stage. Think Yarick's Throne of Ignorance (i think that's what it's called) but with nuns.
Fortress of Arrogance
:goonsay:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I think it's great.

It's an early-90s Warhammer painting come to life. It's fantastic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Screaming Idiot posted:

"Why would an ork have a transforming trukk?"

MORE DAKKA!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's an early-90s Warhammer painting come to life. It's fantastic.

Except the old WH paintings had something to draw the eye in. This is just a mass of color your eye naturally glazes over. Paint the fleur du lis thing on the tower bone white, or put a sister right in front of it in bright colors and problem solved.

I think it's great too though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
It's exactly as overwrought as an official GW model so it's done its job, I'd say.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Even if it got put on a Baneblade chassis instead it would be better. Just a bigger "stage" so everything could be spaced out more.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Jonny Nox posted:

Except the old WH paintings had something to draw the eye in.
Yeah, not always. I mean, people rave about John Blanche's style, but some of his paintings (especially his earlier stuff) have so much eye-distracting detail that they too lost visual focus.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I always preferred Dave Gallagher's art to John Blanche's

e: gently caress I think I'm getting him confused with Geoff Taylor

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 23, 2019

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That bright streak right down the middle is the kind of eye-drawing detail I mean, BTW.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Jonny Nox posted:

That bright streak right down the middle is the kind of eye-drawing detail I mean, BTW.
OK, but it draws the eye because it's the only part of the image that doesn't have "way too much poo poo going on." Blanche's art style is interesting in that the hyper-detail is so visually distracting that the result is almost impressionistic. Like there so much going on that your eye is forced to skip around, giving you the impression of the composition (as opposed to textbook impressionism, where the lack of form or detail generally serves the same purpose).

It's like the Transformers movies: the robot fight scenes are so high-speed that they're not really special effects, just the impression of special effects. Or the space battle scene in Return of the Jedi, where the SFX team threw a shoe into the mix and you didn't even notice.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ilor posted:

OK, but it draws the eye because it's the only part of the image that doesn't have "way too much poo poo going on." Blanche's art style is interesting in that the hyper-detail is so visually distracting that the result is almost impressionistic. Like there so much going on that your eye is forced to skip around, giving you the impression of the composition (as opposed to textbook impressionism, where the lack of form or detail generally serves the same purpose).

It's like the Transformers movies: the robot fight scenes are so high-speed that they're not really special effects, just the impression of special effects. Or the space battle scene in Return of the Jedi, where the SFX team threw a shoe into the mix and you didn't even notice.

Exactly!

At the level that tank is working at it's full on art. So composition absolutely matters. At least in my dumb opinion.

apropos of nothing: I like to look at Robert Bateman's paintings as if it were abstract art. There's a bunch where he creates a canvas wide texture and then drops a photo-realistic animal in there somewhere and makes millions off the prints. I just felt like sharing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ilor posted:

You're going to have to elaborate on this

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I always preferred Dave Gallagher's art to John Blanche's

e: gently caress I think I'm getting him confused with Geoff Taylor

In the age of the "tactical operator" space marines, it does my heart good see old slashed-sleeve scouts.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

In the age of the "tactical operator" space marines, it does my heart good see old slashed-sleeve scouts.

I wasn't even around for the Punkhammer days and I'm still somehow nostalgic for it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

You're going to have to elaborate on this

It was Empire Strikes Back, not ROTJ.

https://moviedetailsfactsandtrivia.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/star-wars-episode-v-empire-strikes-back-1980-24-things-dont-know/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I'm the Titan firing wildly in all directions

e; no wait I'm the flying baneblade doing a sick jump

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I just noticed the Titan has a little dick cannon

Edit : And it's just about the only weapon actually aimed at the Ork Mega Gargant

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 23, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PinheadSlim posted:

I just noticed the Titan has a little dick cannon

Edit : And it's just about the only weapon actually aimed at the Ork Mega Gargant

Makes you think

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ken Ralston has been on record saying that there's his tennis shoe and part of a yogurt container in ROTJ.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Wrong thread

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Slimnoid posted:

Ken Ralston has been on record saying that there's his tennis shoe and part of a yogurt container in ROTJ.

Just shoes everywhere!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
update

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Okay but where are the tits?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

StuG Jeebus posted:

Okay but where are the tits?

dakka.txt

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

that's cool, is it yours?

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

lol. just noticed that it's flipping the bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

One of the star destroyer models included a litte army guy on the hull