Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's good! Though limited and the kind of puzzles that appear in the dungeons are a bit repetitive. Lots of those "walk on this tile floor over each tile only once" type puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

It’s not the definitive version because it includes the option for Japanese voice acting, a mistake no one should make.

That’s why it’s an option, dummy

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jet Jaguar posted:

It looks like Blossom Tales is on sale this week. How is that? It looked very Link to the Past-ish.

It's Link To The Past with a cute framing device, but the dungeon design isn't nearly as good as LTTP (rooms are too large with too many enemies and long puzzles).

If you're jonesing for a 2D Zelda title there are worse choices.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

It looks like Blossom Tales is on sale this week. How is that? It looked very Link to the Past-ish.

IMO very worth playing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jet Jaguar posted:

The dungeons are both relatively simple and about fifty percent longer than they should be for a game of its level of complexity. Otherwise it's fine; the controls are tight.
The map feature isn't as good as LttP's at showing you how to get somewhere though; very lacking in details. It does start with a teleporter network though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 24, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jet Jaguar posted:

It’s fine. Nothing special but worth the price if it looks interesting to you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How’s Minit. It’s cheap and looks very cute

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I got my Switch! I'm like the millionth person to say this but holy poo poo these joycons are small.

I played a bit of BOTW and then downloaded Mario Kart and some demos. gently caress it's hard not to go crazy on the eshop. Thanks to the goon who told me about Raise, that looks really useful.

I feel like I could be playing Zelda forever, this world seems massive.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just played through it, honestly I wasn’t impressed. It’s not particularly clever in using the 60 second gimmick. It is cute, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

I just played through it, honestly I wasn’t impressed. It’s not particularly clever in using the 60 second gimmick. It is cute, though.

Hmm ok. Might just get Baba is You which is less cheap but still cheap and also looks really cute

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Minit is cute and not bad, it'll fill an afternoon or so and then you wont touch it again.

it's not as good as the games it's aping, though. I am really looking forward to the link's awakening remake.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hmm ok. Might just get Baba is You which is less cheap but still cheap and also looks really cute

I’d pick Baba no question. It’s incredible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

I’d pick Baba no question. It’s incredible.

It looks like it might break my brain but in a good way

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It looks like it might break my brain but in a good way

Yes, that's correct.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Baba is an absolute brain-breaker but fun.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Most of Baba is just starting dumbfounded at every level for five minutes before you move anything

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the new adjectives and objects that keep getting introduced.

All?!
None!?
WORD?!? Haha pretty sneaky sis
More? Ohhhhhhhhh poo poo son

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

it absolutely helps you solve puzzles if you babble to yourself while you play.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just don't watch any Let's Plays of Baba because you'll either feel like a giant dumbass or be screaming at your screen in frustration (NorthernLion is posting Baba videos right now, do not watch them, he doesn't understand the game at all)

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

asecondduck posted:

Just don't watch any Let's Plays of Baba because you'll either feel like a giant dumbass or be screaming at your screen in frustration (NorthernLion is posting Baba videos right now, do not watch them, he doesn't understand the game at all)

You don't enjoy NL getting one step from solving a puzzle then moving on to the next one because it's too hard?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

logger posted:

You don't enjoy NL getting one step from solving a puzzle then moving on to the next one because it's too hard?

I like the part where he pushes the crab next to the words IS YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

HMS Beagle posted:

I like the part where he pushes the crab next to the words IS YOU

I never thought I would ever yell out "Jelly is You!" until I watched his let's play.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

asecondduck posted:

I thought NL’s gimmick was being terrible at all games

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

logger posted:

I actually figured out a second way to solve a puzzle he was failing to solve while I watched it

Like I actually grabbed my Switch while watching it and solved it two different ways while he fumbled around

And then he solved it in a third, dumber way

If nothing else, his videos prove how... flexible the game is

Mons Hubris posted:

I thought NL’s gimmick was being terrible at all games
He's pretty good at BoI and Hollow Knight.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 24, 2019

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Never watch any LP of a puzzle game. Unless they already know the answer (and if that's the case you're watching a walkthrough) then you're either getting frustrated that they didn't figure it out as fast as you or frustrated that they stole the answer from you. Or, at least that's how I always feel with puzzle games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Just bought Baba because of you guys. Thanks this game owns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally solved a puzzle after being stuck on it for a week.

Baba is Good

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm stuck on roughly eight different puzzles on three different worlds. One of them will click eventually, I'm sure.

It seems like either I solve a puzzle instantly or spend a half hour mumbling to myself about things that could potentially be other things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ada posted:

Never watch any LP of a puzzle game. Unless they already know the answer (and if that's the case you're watching a walkthrough) then you're either getting frustrated that they didn't figure it out as fast as you or frustrated that they stole the answer from you. Or, at least that's how I always feel with puzzle games.

Ill watch the first few puzzles if I dont understand how the game works and want to get a better idea but otherwise extremely same.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched some of his videos because I was curoius how some of his solutions differed, and I usually enjoy his commentary.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

fuckingusername posted:

Hello everyone. Is it me or is Blaster Master Zero 2 quite an obnoxious game? It has all the ingredients of something I should like but the entire first planet seems designed to evoke the feeling of having your sandcastle kicked over by Nelson Muntz. As someone who enjoyed and completed Hollow Knight and both La Mulanas, is this worth persevering with?

I'm near the end and I like it a lot, but I enjoyed it from the beginning, so YMMV.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I've never been much of a Smash player. How accessible would it be to a 5 soon to be 6 year old. She has been talking about wanting it so this week I gave her a list of chores to do and if she does them she gets it on Friday. Her main games right now are Splatoon 2, Odyssey, and Mario Kart and she does ok in them. I just don't want her to get it and get frustrated by losing a bunch.

Edit: Also, how are characters unlocked, through time playing or do you have to beat the story mode a bunch?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t even know who Northern Lion is.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's really weird that I'd never heard of him either until yesterday when there was a Reddit post about Tetris 99 where everyone was mentioning him and now goons are talking about him.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ll never watch another person play a video game

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

Turpitude posted:

I borrowed it from the library and was not impressed. It is an extremely slow game with each character action taking much too long for my tastes. YMMV

Man, I wanted to love it. I bought the first game many years ago, got so frustrated with it and quit. I wanted to give 4 a fair shake but you speak the truth. Everything takes way too long. You will have seven anime cutscenes in between actual gameplay and every single one boot you to the journal menu as soon as it ends. Then you get to an actual battle and every turn is like molasses. You get hosed right in the middle of it, and it is better to restart the battle then to try and recover.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagined posted:

It's really weird that I'd never heard of him either until yesterday when there was a Reddit post about Tetris 99 where everyone was mentioning him and now goons are talking about him.

I've been subbed to his channel for years, I stumbled across his BoI videos while looking up stuff about the game and liked his vibe and dumb jokes. I don't watch him that often but every now and again I'll toss on one of his videos when I'm bored.

I think he got some talk in a previous version of this thread when BoI launched on the Switch.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

loudog999 posted:

I've never been much of a Smash player. How accessible would it be to a 5 soon to be 6 year old. She has been talking about wanting it so this week I gave her a list of chores to do and if she does them she gets it on Friday. Her main games right now are Splatoon 2, Odyssey, and Mario Kart and she does ok in them. I just don't want her to get it and get frustrated by losing a bunch.

Edit: Also, how are characters unlocked, through time playing or do you have to beat the story mode a bunch?

My four 4-5 year old son loved smash u and beat the single player mode (world of light) on easy mode in about two months and loved it. he really likes kirby though and basically played through the entire thing as him or the inkling. if your daughter is able to do not bad at those other games she'll be able to get through the single player mostly on her own. youll just need to teach her to push the button that auto selects spirits before every battle.

unlocks in the single player campaign come from finding them on the map. all other modes they are unlocked after a certain amount of playtime i think? and you have to beat them.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kly posted:

My four 4-5 year old son loved smash u and beat the single player mode (world of light) on easy mode in about two months and loved it. he really likes kirby though and basically played through the entire thing as him or the inkling. if your daughter is able to do not bad at those other games she'll be able to get through the single player mostly on her own. youll just need to teach her to push the button that auto selects spirits before every battle.

unlocks in the single player campaign come from finding them on the map. all other modes they are unlocked after a certain amount of playtime i think? and you have to beat them.

Great thanks, Im rooting for her then cause with my child its 50/50 whether she gets these chores finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love it. It's a very short game (name kinda gives it away huh!) but it has an idea, executes that idea well and doesn't outstay its welcome :3:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Baba is also incredibly good. It's the most clever puzzle game in recent memory, just be aware for extreme brain hurts.