Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Big Huski Boi posted:

This is a common misconception, it's actually because Senna was loving the car in addition to driving it. Same thing Lewis does.

Unlike Ricciardo who lets the car gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rhopunzel posted:

just lol, poo poo like this reminds me what it was like to be a mclaren fan

they would find all kinds of obscene ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. poo poo like this never happened to any other team, or at least as much

How about the time Hakkinens engine ate itself on the final lap while leading by something like 30-40 seconds. Think that was at The Italian Grand Prix.

Or the time a disgruntled ex Mercedes employee got onto the track at Hockenhiem which lead to Barichello winning his first f1 race, again when both McLaren cars were in 1st & 2nd with a huge lead.

Ahhh, why am I doing this to myself....

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I loved the Newey era at McLaren where absolutely nothing was ever allowed to just work, ever. When was the last time a team designed a whole car that never raced because they couldn't figure it out? Who does that?? Imagine if Mercedes spent the whole offseason talking up their amazing new car and then in Melbourne were like "sorry it's broken" and rolled out the W09B.

E: AND THEN THE NEXT YEAR THEY GO "WE FIGURED OUT THE BROKEN CAR" AND ROLLED OUT THE SUCKIEST PIECE OF poo poo

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 23, 2019

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Oh god, how did I forget the MP4-18.

God I loved the look of that car and it never raced, amazingly the MP4-17D was still competitive.

quote:

However, due to several problems during tests, the car was never raced, in favour of the McLaren MP4-17D, a highly developed version of the 2002 contender. The new car crashed several times[1] with very obscure reasons, failed the FIA side impact crash tests twice, and there was a severe problem cooling the engine down, since the sidepods were made very narrow.

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 23, 2019

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

freeranger posted:

How about the time Hakkinens engine ate itself on the final lap while leading by something like 30-40 seconds. Think that was at The Italian Grand Prix.

Spanish Grand Prix. And Schumacher let other cars past before finishing in 1st, which meant that they could then do one more lap to overtake Hakkinen’s stopped car, so Hakkinen didn’t get classified 2nd.

freeranger posted:

I’m fact checking the worst thread, so I’m having the same thought.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Smirk posted:

Spanish Grand Prix. And Schumacher let other cars past before finishing in 1st, which meant that they could then do one more lap to overtake Hakkinen’s stopped car, so Hakkinen didn’t get classified 2nd.

Ha, I had forgotten he did that. Such an amazing dick move but totally justified.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirk posted:

I’m fact checking the worst thread, so I’m having the same thought.

Michael was a loving badass
#keepfightingmichael

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Michael was a loving badass
#keepfightingmichael

Stop fighting Michael, he can't defend himself

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michael is dead and gay

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

freeranger posted:

Or the time a disgruntled ex Mercedes employee got onto the track at Hockenhiem which lead to Barichello winning his first f1 race, again when both McLaren cars were in 1st & 2nd with a huge lead.

one of the first races i remember watching when i was like 7 or 8, coulthard pitted from 1st and they botched the pitstop. i turned to my dad and said "coulthard needs to learn how to drive" and he laughed

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

ROLLED OUT THE SUCKIEST PIECE OF poo poo
The more things change . . .

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Michael is dead and gay

hi michael

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Smirk posted:

That's an amazingly premeditated and cognizant thing to do, I presume it was directed from the Ferrari pit wall? If not, epic racecraft. I mean, man that guy's a dick, but epic racecraft. Schumi is such a well thought out dick that it's hard to hold it against him, it's just impressive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hi

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Your son is doing great and he's going to walk all over the current field in F2 and make his way to F1. He's already been lined up to replace Vettel in 2020 if he doesn't bring the WDC home to Maranello this season.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

Your son is doing great and he's going to walk all over the current field in F2 and make his way to F1. He's already been lined up to replace Vettel in 2020 if he doesn't bring the WDC home to Maranello this season.

*unintelligible gurgling*

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

*unintelligible gurgling*

Yeah, Ross runs the show basically. We all miss you on the grid, Mike. Can I call you Mike?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have 0 confidence in Vettel :toxx if he wins the WDC ban me from the post season thread

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Vettel isn’t even going to finish 2nd in the wdc lol

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You sure? That's a lot of faith you've got in Nico Lite there

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'd toxx Leclerc finishing ahead of Vettel this year, but there's no way that happens simply because of team orders.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Carth Dookie posted:

I'd toxx Leclerc finishing ahead of Vettel this year, but there's no way that happens simply because of team orders.

Look at this coward.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I’d welcome someone to join me in that toxx by rooting for team chaos instead of team orders.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 24, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

Look at this coward.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Realtalk: if you want a non-merc WDC this year you're going to have to accept Ferrari using Leclerc to give Vettel as big a chance as possible.
Maybe even give Vettel some of his blood.
An emaciated Leclerc stumbling onto the grid with gel packs strapped to him to make the weigh in.
A Vettel, reinvigorated, doing the crazy frog again.

This is the only good future.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lewis could retire and Bottas or Grosjean or anyone could win the next 10 WDC/WCCs with Mercedes for all I care provided Vettel or Red Bull never wins another one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NtotheTC posted:

Lewis could retire and Bottas or Grosjean or anyone could win the next 10 WDC/WCCs with Mercedes for all I care provided Vettel or Red Bull never wins another one.

This but also Ferrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I would accept Ferrari winning every single title until I die if it meant none for Vettel and Red Bull

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

This but also Ferrari

Nice Meltdown

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 24, 2019

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Y’all know the second the 2021 regulations hit My Max and Whoever’s Red Bull are winning it all for at least 5 years straight, right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

zelah posted:

Y’all know the second the 2021 regulations hit My Max and Whoever’s Red Bull are winning it all for at least 5 years straight, right?

Lmao just lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hello, posting friends. Just a reminder that IndyCar races at COTA today: https://www.indycar.com/

Starts at 1:40pm EST.

Waiting to see if there's a massive pile-up at T1 so we can forever make side-by-side comparisons of F1 cars making it through without an issue while IndyCar's has-beens and wash-ups just collide. Not saying that's what's going to happen--- but the potential is there. Much like when IndyCar experimented with standing starts.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How many child slaves are they using as marshals?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It’s less that I have faith in punished V and more that I have zero faith in Vettel to produce this season

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How far off F1 lap times are the HasBeenCar lap times at COTA?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lmao Nico Lite

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

How far off F1 lap times are the HasBeenCar lap times at COTA?

Does it matter?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

Mercedes owns.
Bottas owns.
Lewis owns, GOAT.

Ferrari owns.
Vettel does not own.
Leclerc owns.

Red Bull does not own.
Verstappen owns.
Gasly does not own.

Haas does not own.
Grosjean owns.
Magnussen owns.

Renault owns.
Hulkenberg owns, GOAT-In-Waiting.
Ricciardo owns.

Alfa Romeo owns.
Raikkonen owns, but not his fans.
Giovinnazzi does not own.

Racing Point owns, but not its name.
Perez owns.
Stroll does not own, WOAT.

Toro Rosso owns.
Kvyat owns.
Albon owns.

McLaren does not own.
Sainz does not own.
Norris owns.

Williams owns, minus Claire.
Kubica owns.
Russell owns.

This is mostly correct, but Verstappen and Grosjean do not own. Perez also does not own.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think the best solution to fixing this dumb sport is to get rid of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The big takeaway from the Netflix series is that Grosjean is a massive grass and whinges all the time