Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Is the talking tiger in this? Makes or breaks my hype.

There is a reference in the form of a stuffed tiger that most definitel does not talk :smith:

on the other hand Mr. Mind is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

on the other hand Mr. Mind is lol

sold

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I wonder how many reviewers will be able to not mention Marvel in their write-ups for Shazam.

I mean that would be hard considering for the vast majority of the character's life his name was Captain Marvel and the film even has a reoccurring joke over the fact they can't say his real name.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that would be hard considering for the vast majority of the character's life his name was Captain Marvel and the film even has a reoccurring joke over the fact they can't say his real name.

Lol, that's great.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I took my students to see Captain Marvel because they are stressed out from testing season and my school decided to be fun. They were all born in 2007 or 2008, so the Marvel films have basically been around their entire lives. So it was interesting to hear some of their takes, specifically around timelines. Because they were babies when the original movies came out, they sort of collectively decided on this timeline:

Captain America: The First Avenger (Not just chronologically the first film in terms of the flashback, but they all agreed that Captain America is the first superhero Fury meets after Captain Marvel)
Thor
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Avengers

Not sure of all it tracks, but they also informed me that the Hulk never had his own movie.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not sure of all it tracks, but they also informed me that the Hulk never had his own movie.

I hear this a lot from people who are into the movies and I always wonder how Marvel pulled that off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

I hear this a lot from people who are into the movies and I always wonder how Marvel pulled that off.

I think it's the fact the actor changed. Marvel has leaned pretty hard onto actors being 'the same' and while there have been changes to some of the side characters the main ones have been consistent since Incredible Hulk. A lot of casual viewers have actually internalized the "it's a new actor so it's a new universe" thing for superhero movies because that's usually the case and there was even a different Hulk film before that.

It also was before the MCU REALLY got into swing so a lot of people just genuinely forget it exists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Marvel Studios/Disney doesn't have the rights to make a solo Hulk film, Universal still owns those I think.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

If there's a thread about Shazam it needs to be Cinema Discusso >DC's Captain Marvel Shazam: We can't say his name.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marvel Studios/Disney doesn't have the rights to make a solo Hulk film, Universal still owns those I think.
It's actually a bit stranger than that. They have the rights to make a Hulk film. The problem is that Universal retains first refusal on distribution.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Darth Brooks posted:

If there's a thread about Shazam it needs to be Cinema Discusso >DC's Captain Marvel Shazam: We can't say his name.

Cinema Discusso > Shazam! - He Who Must Not Be Named

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Darth Brooks posted:

DC'S Shazam: First Ever Captain Marvel

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DC'S SHAZAM! aka... you know ;)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Shazam is the name of the wizard, not the hero

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Also saw Shazam today. Some general thoughts, couple of bummers: Movie was good, Levi did a good job as Shazam/Captain Marvel. Narratively it's a bit odd how the movie just kind of has the city and people totally gloss over Shazam doing a ton of damage everywhere he goes, even when it's just him being out and about. Also Philly buses have hella strong front glass windows.

Bummer was that many of the big laugh moments were all spoiled by the trailers. Thankfully there were a couple of good ones not spoiled, but man did those trailers hit a lot of the beats. Other big bummer was Mary Marvel. She did nothing in the final fight except for fight a hentai tentacle sin (Lust?) off screen largely. Weird choice. They highlighted all the unique powers of the other family members, she got nothing from what I could see. Also weird that DC couldn't find some way to name the super hero versions of the family members, even those with existing names like Mary Marvel and Marvel Jr.. Not even in the credits for those adult form characters are they given a nick name, guess DC just wants to totally steer clear of "Marvel".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why don't they just name him Captain DC

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Why don't they just name him Captain DC

That's a different character.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had the crazy idea last night that all the back and forth over GOTG3 is some next-level misdirection, and at the end of Endgame they're just going to say "everyone who died in IW is actually staying dead, their series are over, nyeh nyeh gently caress you" but I'm sure someone will point to a bunch of publically known movie contracts that disprove this idea.

I mean, I don't think it will happen, but lmfao at the balls on Disney/Marvel if all of these characters stay dead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

C-Euro posted:

I had the crazy idea last night that all the back and forth over GOTG3 is some next-level misdirection, and at the end of Endgame they're just going to say "everyone who died in IW is actually staying dead, their series are over, nyeh nyeh gently caress you" but I'm sure someone will point to a bunch of publically known movie contracts that disprove this idea.

I mean, I don't think it will happen, but lmfao at the balls on Disney/Marvel if all of these characters stay dead.

We already have a trailer for a new Spider-man movie.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

We already have a trailer for a new Spider-man movie.

Half the movie's going to be "flashback: 3 months before thanos" and the other half just a dusty planet with a voiceover screaming "COME ON YOU FUCKIN' SAW HIM DIE WE DIDN'T KNOW TOM HOLLAND WOULD BE THE ONE TO PERFECT WHAT THE SPIDERS MAN BE"

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Whalley posted:

Half the movie's going to be "flashback: 3 months before thanos" and the other half just a dusty planet with a voiceover screaming "COME ON YOU FUCKIN' SAW HIM DIE WE DIDN'T KNOW TOM HOLLAND WOULD BE THE ONE TO PERFECT WHAT THE SPIDERS MAN BE"

Speaking of unexpected movie success changing their plans:

Peter Parker's European Vacation takes place pre-Snappening, Peter dies and stays dead, Post-Credits scene shows Miles Morales being bitten by a genetically-engineered spider.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like nothing would suck all of the momentum out of FFH quicker than the lead character dying in a separate movie 2 months before release

Actually sorry, being confirmed dead; he would just straight up not show up in Endgame because dead people typically don't, and then there would presumably be no explanation heading into FFH

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The only thing that's made any sense to me is someone here(?) saying that a lot of the major people who are alive right now are gonna have to die to bring everyone else back somehow and we get stuff like Winter Soldier taking over the CapAm series. Seems like a lot of the people who are left have been rumored as wanting out anyway.

idk I really have no idea how you pull off this part 2 successfully but whatevs, I'll be there.

I got to watch like 1/4th of Spiderverse yesterday (have a 3 month old lol) and it looked good. I didn't realize Lord/Miller were directing that one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Falcon-Cap is more likely than Bucky-Cap, since they've done the former relatively recently in the comics.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I didn't realize Lord/Miller were directing that one.

They didn't.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lord co-wrote and Miller produced, the rest was all on SPA people. Amazing what enthusiastic artists can do when you don’t saddle them with the loving Emoji Movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When I saw the first couple of trailers for Spider-verse, I hated the animation style. Something about it just didn't click in my head. When I saw the movie on the big screen, it totally worked. I'm not sure what the difference was besides the larger screen. I'm wondering what my brain will think when I watch it at home.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like Falcon-Cap is more likely than Bucky-Cap, since they've done the former relatively recently in the comics.

I feel like they wanted to see which one would catch on with audiences more and that's probably Bucky winning out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Pirate Jet posted:

Lord co-wrote and Miller produced, the rest was all on SPA people. Amazing what enthusiastic artists can do when you don’t saddle them with the loving Emoji Movie.

ALrighty, that's cool

in any case, it seems good and I think their humor works a lot better in this YA vein than straight up kids stuff.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The "effect" going on is definitely lost a bit when you shrink the screen a lot. Even on a normal tv the pointillist/four color dot thing is sometimes too small to appreciate.

It still looks fantastic either way because the animation is so good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Probably gonna go with Bucky since Nintendo owns the rights to Captain Falcon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably gonna go with Bucky since Nintendo owns the rights to Captain Falcon.

But they haven't produced a Captain Falcon game in 15 years which means if they don't get one out this year the rights revert to Marvel

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk I really have no idea how you pull off this part 2 successfully but whatevs, I'll be there.

Yeah I'm simultaneously ready for the MCU to put this mega-arc to bed and curious to see what they do next. If Spider-Man was the last movie Marvel did in 2019 I wouldn't object.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

But they haven't produced a Captain Falcon game in 15 years which means if they don't get one out this year the rights revert to Marvel

Disney does what Nintendon't

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

What about Smash?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Cinema Discusso > Shazam! - He Who Must Not Be Named

Cinema Discusso > Shazam! - Say My Name, no not that one

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I feel like they wanted to see which one would catch on with audiences more and that's probably Bucky winning out.

Nah, I think they're gonna go with Cap falco, it's an obvious slam dunk. BP and Cap Marv has proven there's lots of money in movies targeted at the non-white male demographics, you got a baked in controversy for the chuds that will generate attention, and the premise of Falco as Cap with Bucky as a reluctant sidekick writes itself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Cinema Discusso > Shazam! - Say My Name, no not that one

Cinema Discusso > Shazam! - Captain MarvelSparkle-fingers

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

McCloud posted:

Nah, I think they're gonna go with Cap falco, it's an obvious slam dunk. BP and Cap Marv has proven there's lots of money in movies targeted at the non-white male demographics, you got a baked in controversy for the chuds that will generate attention, and the premise of Falco as Cap with Bucky as a reluctant sidekick writes itself.

"can you move your seat up" is tied for best joke in Marvel with Lupita Nyongo sliding to a stop in just a car seat holding the steering wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I saw rumors that Endgame tickets might start going on sale today.