Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

mostlygray posted:

My father in law was in the Air Force in photographic intelligence during the Vietnam war in the '60's. We went to the SAC museum together a few years ago. He had a crazy story about every plane. Too many to mention. He mostly did reviews of SR-71 photography. We watched the movie "Flight of the Intruder" together and he recognized the map that is shown in the ready room and agreed that "Yes, we bombed those places obsessively, but there was nothing there. Also, that bridge got bombed on every run and they'd have it rebuilt in a day." He had the same frustration as the pilots. Him on intelligence, them on getting their asses shot off. It was a political deal at the time.

Sorry to necro this post but mostlygray doesn't accept PMs so;
My dad did a similar job to the one your father in law did, DOD, fly over photography interpretation during the Vietnam war. He sat at the desk where the mission parameters were combined with the results of the mission.
We should compare notes at some point!
If your father in law is still alive ask him if knew a guy named Gordon.

g

[edit] to add a mildly bad rear end story;
Dad was reading early satellite imagery as well but he worked at the Asia desk of DOD or something. He told a story about how the Chinese army was invading Tibet back in the early 50's, the problem was distance, logistics dictated that you had to haul your fuel with you since there was no modern infrastructure on the high plateau. They worked out that it would take something like 8 trucks loaded with fuel to get one military vehicle fully loaded with fuel at the border. That was interpreted as making it impossible for China to conduct military operations at that distance.

What the pentagon didn't know was that the Chinese were fully aware of where our satellites were, when they passed over and what they could see; once you know it's up there it's just math right?
What the Chinese didn't know was that the satellites could look backwards and not only straight down.

The Chinese government was building a pipeline to move fuel to Tibet but they only worked on it under the cover of clouds. They had a bunch of workers in a movable village next to a road and they hid pipe next to the road. As soon as the clouds rolled in they buried pipe for as long as they had cover. What my dad claims to have done is to have caught them at it by looking back under the cloud cover at a fairly high angle and seeing the workers pulling the pipe out from under cover. I guess that the satellites were taking pictures constantly at all possible angles because of the restrictions that mostlygray mentioned.

So dad communicated this and was told that it didn't matter because even if they did build a pipeline it could only pump one thing, say oil OR gas. So dad had to go to the pentagon and give a bunch of generals a briefing on how pipe works, for instance that you can run a pig down it and put fuel oil in front and something else behind. Apparently they didn't know that you could use a single pipe to move multiple fluids. Generals apparently love it when they're wrong and are corrected by some due who wasn't in uniform!
Anyway, dad was pretty cool in my book!
[/edit]

ChlamydiaJones has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And he was an Afghan refugee!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I'd watch more golf if they added cool tricks & poo poo like this to regular games

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'd watch more golf if they added cool tricks & poo poo like this to regular games

I want to see the other takes before he got this one

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Xarbala posted:

I want to see the other takes before he got this one

Why?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I also browse the schad thread so

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Okay, I'll be the one to ask it:

Why is there a credit card machine at a mosque?

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Mar 21, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

Does your mosque not have one? :confused:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhCPt6PZIU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

This dude loving rules holy poo poo

quote:

Instead, he picked up the first thing he could find, a credit card machine, and ran outside screaming "Come here!"
Aziz said as he ran outside screaming, he was hoping to distract the attacker.
He said the gunman ran back to his car to get another gun, and Aziz hurled the credit card machine at him.
He said he could hear his two youngest sons, aged 11 and 5, urging him to come back inside.
The gunman returned, firing. Aziz said he ran, weaving through cars parked in the driveway, which prevented the gunman from getting a clean shot. Then Aziz spotted a gun the gunman had abandoned and picked it up, pointed it and squeezed the trigger. It was empty.
He said the gunman ran back to the car for a second time, likely to grab yet another weapon.
"He gets into his car and I just got the gun and threw it on his window like an arrow and blasted his window," he said.
The windshield shattered: "That's why he got scared."
He said the gunman was cursing at him, yelling that he was going to kill them all. But he drove away and Aziz said he chased the car down the street to a red light, before it made a U-turn and sped away.

Not sure how this dude managed to move that quick with his massive cast iron balls

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

christ what a loving coward

i know that's been said before, but jesus, real big man when he's wasting unarmed people but even the slightest bit of resistance and he goes running off

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/mariners/status/1107654108930965504?s=21

Ichiro is 45 and still has a drat cannon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I never particularly liked baseball but I've become amazed at some of the crazy athletic feats of outfielders lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romtgKHeVhQ

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have a limited experience of mosques but all the mosques I've been to provide food which you pay for if you can afford to.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wasabi the J posted:

I never particularly liked baseball but I've become amazed at some of the crazy athletic feats of outfielders lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romtgKHeVhQ
The Bo jackson one they had in this wasn't even his most impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9wi_zvMdM

That man was one of those generational anomalies. His career was cut short because his hobby (playing professional football) put him in a position where he was able to rip his own hip out of it's socket while running, which is impossible for 99.9% of the rest of humanity to do.

If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "you don't know Bo", I'd highly recommend it.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Mar 21, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

That man was one of those generational anomalies. His career was cut short because his hobby (playing professional football) put him in a position where he was able to rip his own hip out of it's socket while running, which is impossible for 99.9% of the rest of humanity to do.

If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "you don't know Bo", I'd highly recommend it.

It sucks that we'll never get another multi-sport athlete like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, or Dave Winfield (my hands down favorite professional athlete, drafted by three different professional sports) ever again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kids these days just don't know about Bo. He was incredible and it's a shame his career was cut short before his legacy could be better established.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Bo Jackson is basically "What would a real life superhero be like?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Minnie Minosa played (like actually played) professional baseball for like 30 years. Started off in the negro leagues and picked up a single in a pro game in like 1978 or something. That dude was loving amazing as well. I'm sure there's pro athletes just as talented today, but I just don't think we'll ever get to see a 50 year old step up to the plate and take some cuts in this day and age.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember one time he took the opening kickoff in a game and just ran all over the field, back and forth, missed tackle after missed tackle, until the entire quarter ran out and then he took the ball into the end zone for the touchdown.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I remember one time he took the opening kickoff in a game and just ran all over the field, back and forth, missed tackle after missed tackle, until the entire quarter ran out and then he took the ball into the end zone for the touchdown.

i remember that. my mom unplugged my nintendo right after that td and i was like "mooooooooom!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

It sucks that we'll never get another multi-sport athlete like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, or Dave Winfield (my hands down favorite professional athlete, drafted by three different professional sports) ever again.

Australian Ellyse Perry played for both the Australian women's national cricket team and the Australian women's national soccer team at age 16 back in 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellyse_Perry

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In non-Tecmo shenanigans, there are a couple of times that I can remember offhand that he ran so fast he just plain ran out of room.

Playing football, he ended up running into the tunnel because he knew he'd hurt something if he tried to stop too soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td4h2BCc1t0

In baseball, he ran out a pop fly and just walked on a wall 6' in the air like it was the most normal thing in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3l_L-VJ3w

Not to mention he'd routinely snap baseball bats over his knee or head like they were twigs. He was amazing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Australian Ellyse Perry played for both the Australian women's national cricket team and the Australian women's national soccer team at age 16 back in 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellyse_Perry

Well there ya go! That's pretty awesome. I thought for sure management or the team's insurance companies would forbid multisport play.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well there ya go! That's pretty awesome. I thought for sure management or the team's insurance companies would forbid multisport play.

Yeah management eventually forced her to choose, I think the soccer guys gave her an ultimatum and she ended up dropping soccer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nothing ruins sports more than professional sports.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

drat Sports! They ruined Sports!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I was a little elementary school aged kid at that time and even I knew Bo was awesome.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Sorry to necro this post but mostlygray doesn't accept PMs so;
My dad did a similar job to the one your father in law did, DOD, fly over photography interpretation during the Vietnam war. He sat at the desk where the mission parameters were combined with the results of the mission.
We should compare notes at some point!
If your father in law is still alive ask him if knew a guy named Gordon.

Sorry, I literally don't know how PMs work. I should probably figure that out.
Yes, my FIL is still alive and I'll ask him next time I see him.

The story about the satellites is awesome! I didn't realize that they could look back. I thought they could only look down.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Minnie Minosa played (like actually played) professional baseball for like 30 years. Started off in the negro leagues and picked up a single in a pro game in like 1978 or something. That dude was loving amazing as well. I'm sure there's pro athletes just as talented today, but I just don't think we'll ever get to see a 50 year old step up to the plate and take some cuts in this day and age.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46839490

Kazu Miura is 52 and still playing professional soccer in Japan. His professional career started in 1986, he “retired” from international play in 2000.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

mostlygray posted:

Sorry, I literally don't know how PMs work. I should probably figure that out.
Yes, my FIL is still alive and I'll ask him next time I see him.

The story about the satellites is awesome! I didn't realize that they could look back. I thought they could only look down.

You need plat for pm's, if you buy it then it will work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/nBgkWGc.mp4

That's pretty impressive

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I always thought that the best part of Bo Jackson was that once he had his career-ending injury he just shrugged and got on with his life. Didn't get depressed and develop an addiction, didn't try to reclaim lost glory days, didn't go crazy or try to cling to fame. He just went "welp, guess I'm not a top athlete anymore." From what I read he didn't spend his sports money stupidly like a lot of athletes do and now spends a lot of his time fishing. He just finished his degree and found other stuff to do.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

What impressed me the most is how well timed they were with the traffic lights.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like the additional CGI cabs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's cinematographer David Eggby shooting a scene for the original '79 Mad Max, sitting on the back of a bike without a helmet (it got in the way of the camera) going at crazy speeds down winding Australian backroads.

When they started filming they didn't have any location permits and they didn't want to communicate via walkie talkies because the police might be able to listen in and find them so they'd just close down a remote country road and fuckin' go for it. Eventually the local police caught wind of the film shoot and actually helped out by closing down roads for them.

Edit: here's some more skatin' cameraman footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW478MLuQhc

Here's a quick shot breakdown from The Bourne Ultimatum. The camerman not only has to do the same jump as the stuntman but has to time it perfectly, all while carrying a camera in front of his face and keeping the stuntman in frame and in focus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIGIlXnUZT0

Edit 2: of course, wildlife documentary cinematographers are in a category all of their own, and wartime photographers are also in their own badass category.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Mar 24, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like the additional CGI cabs.

The pedestrians walking past also seem to be in different positions, it might just have been an alternate take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit 2: of course, wildlife documentary cinematographers are in a category all of their own, and wartime photographers are also in their own badass category.

Director John Ford was wounded during the Battle of Midway because (IIRC) he set up a camera near a hanger he (correctly) figured would get bombed and got hit by shrapnel.