Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well yeah, MJ isnt going to fly 22 hours in economy. Those are pretty reasonable business class seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

Hey sir I really like your idea sir and I really think we should implement it sir why don't you talk to my CSM sir and see what he says sir and hopefully we can get sir this ball rolling sir thanks sir. HOOAH am I right sir.
"So you announced publicly that you, Peter Parker, are Spider-Man?"
Peter Parker grinned. 'I just felt people should know who I am, you know? It gets tiring keeping all these secrets to myself. And now that I'm retiring from being a super hero it seems silly to fret about it.'
‘Well, if you don’t mind,’ said Australian cop Officer Franklin, ‘I feel I ought to get out of here.’ The young man who'd publicly revealed himself to be Spider-Man on his first day in Australia, he told himself yet again, was decidedly unsafe. ‘I hope you don’t think I’m running out — ’
‘I do,’ said Peter promptly. ‘And I commend you for it. First sign of logical thinking I’ve detected in you. But you’re missing a great chance, you know.’ He playfully punched the officer through the car's window. ‘The first man I ever fought with was Dr. Doom, forty-two years ago. Wouldn’t you like to be the last?’
Officer Franklin hesitated. He was amused, and astonished, and a little touched. He looked into the mischievous, grinning old face, then shook his head.
‘I think you and your wife ought to ride in alone’ he said gently, ‘And with the hood down.’
He reached into the car and shook the young man’s hand, and then walked back into the crowd. The police had succeeded in clearing the crowd from round Parker's car, and a long aisle between to people ran fairly clear to the gates of The Lodge; police were moving in it, ushering them to keep it clear. At a word from Parker the convertible's hood was retracted, and with the superhero leaning back comfortably in one corner the car rolled slowly forward. The crowd had begun to sing again, willing the Prime Minister to come out on the balcony; as the car pulled away, Mary Jane was waving to him with her crooked grin; the crowd jostled forward into the space where the car had been, but Officer Franklin, craning, could see over their heads. With policeman half-running on either side, and Sergeant Rooney pacing ahead on his horse, the car was moving into the open gates held back by the blue-coated police; the singing was thundering up in full-throated ecstatic chorus, and he could just glimpse the brown hair above the back seat and Peter's raised hand solemnly waving in time to the music:

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can.
Spins a web, any size.
Catches thieves- just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the Spiderman!

The car was lost to sight as it turned through the gates and made towards The Lodge, even as the lights on the balcony came up again and the Prime Minister's family reappeared. The singing swelled to a triumphant climax; Officer Franklin could imagine the Minister glimpsing the car with its eccentric occupant as it sped across the open space before The Lodge — what in God’s name was the kid going to say when he got inside and The Lodge's minions discovered he was an entirely unauthorised visitor bent only on relieving himself? Officer Franklin could not guess — but he had no doubt Peter Parker would be able to recover from head injuries sustained. He'd had a lot of practice.

Flaccid French Fry fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 23, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would have put good odds on peter fighting an actual kangaroo at some point in this arc. he'd lose, of course.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The end of all eras. We didn't even get a proper ending.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The end! No moral.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The moral is Spidey hit the jackpot.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

shedding a tiny tear for our brick-brained boy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And another of the scant remaining good things in the world has died.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Next: Feels!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Possible events we will never see:
- NSM greets an emu, believing it to be an australian person, gets his spine kicked in half
- NSM throws a boomerang, knocks himself unconscious
- NSM rides in a kangaroo's pouch, because there's nothing to swing from in the outback
- The actual villain Kangaroo doesn't show up until 2 months into the story. He immediately kicks NSM's spine in half
- Uncle Wombat???

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Libra posted:

Possible events we will never see:

- NSM throws a boomerang, knocks himself unconscious

Best thing is because of the slowness of the strip he would throw the boomerang and then in our real time not get hit by it until a week later.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thanks for coming everyone!

I am so frustrated he didn't say one lucky tiger

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I've mostly lurked, but this has been my favorite thread on the forums since I discovered it. My only regret is that I didn't discover it sooner. Thank you, everyone, for the shops, reactions, and jokes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't want to invite copyright infringement but aren't there decades of the strip already drawn? And lots of goons good at Photoshop? Just sayin...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm honestly happy these two get to go off into a vacation forever.

This strip and thread was a gift, sucks that it has to go, but I'm glad it's ending on a wholesome note. Now to cut together panels to make an australian adventure.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

cops get out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I don't want to invite copyright infringement but aren't there decades of the strip already drawn? And lots of goons good at Photoshop? Just sayin...

Sadly NSM is the type of thing it takes decades of comic book writing experience to produce.

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

Hey sir I really like your idea sir and I really think we should implement it sir why don't you talk to my CSM sir and see what he says sir and hopefully we can get sir this ball rolling sir thanks sir. HOOAH am I right sir.
I wish there was a full shot of that newspaper, I want to make it my avatar in memoriam ;_;

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Here's hoping Pete is getting bricks to the head in heaven.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thank you for being a friends, NSM.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The real brick was the friends we made along the way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's been a busy week for Peter since he had to ride the subway back from upstate New York, but now he can finally relax and enjoy himself.

RIP, NSM. And at least it was a better ending than Castle.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
RIP, Newspaper Spider-Man.

I'm going to memorialise this moment... With a selfie!

And Spidey's powerless to stop me!

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

I wish I got this strip in the papers. I'd cut out a Sunday strip and try to get the team to sign it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Next: Spider-Jane!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe Newspaper Miles?

Two septuagenarian white men writing a half black/half latino teenager. There's no way that would be painfully awkward.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Spiderman Noir. Spidey punches a different Nazi every day and drinks egg creams on Sundays.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

evilmiera posted:

Spiderman Noir. Spidey punches a different Nazi every day and drinks egg creams on Sundays.

I like this. A lot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And he always has a mysterious dramatic wind blowing right when he needs it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Proteus Jones posted:

Maybe Newspaper Miles?

Two septuagenarian white men writing a half black/half latino teenager. There's no way that would be painfully awkward.

I love this idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a slightly longer version of Roy Thomas' retrospective. Apparently Stan Lee was personally responsible for reverting the 'no marriage' thing.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/23/last-spider-man-newspaper-strip-writer-roy-thomas/

quote:

Mostly, though, Stan and I got along fine. For the most part, he liked what I submitted, accepted most (not all) of my ideas for stories… and until a few years ago often “suggested” (or insisted upon) alterations in them. For some years, he would rewrite a panel or balloon here and there, or even more… while other dailies or Sundays would sail through without a single word change.

The major change I tried to effect, after the first Spider-Man movie, was to go back to a time when MJ and Peter weren’t married. Stan agreed, and seemed halfway enthusiastic about the change at first, and we did one whole storyline (involving Electro) that way. But then Stan changed his mind, and I saw at once that I wouldn’t be able to change it back. So I wrote a Dallas-type scene in which Peter woke up (after going to sleep in Aunt May’s apartment as a single young man) to find himself married (again) to Mary Jane… and that’s the way we kept it from then on. Actually, I was increasingly happy with that, as an alternative to the bouncing around of the comicbooks, in which MJ and Peter totally forgot each other and their marriage, and who-knows-what occurred. Left increasingly to my own devices, and building on MJ’s modeling career in the comicbooks, I gradually took her from working in a computer store to becoming a Broadway star and movie actress, playing a super-heroine called “Marvella” (before the female Captain Marvel was a big deal, or maybe even was around at all)…but I kept her and Peter, somewhat incongruously, in their relatively small Manhattan apartment (except when they were in LA, of course)… although they occasionally shopped around for something bigger.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Synthbuttrange posted:

drat it Roy, you're not supposed to look directly at the camera

Roy Thomas:
Alex Saviuk:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can tell it's fake by how peter seems to remember things that happened in previous strips. if it was real he'd get home, then start shouting about how this mysterious redhead might suspect he is spiderman.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's loving me up pretty bad because it could honestly fit perfectly with the strip's "present" if we ignored last week.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you can tell it's fake by how peter seems to remember things that happened in previous strips.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's loving me up pretty bad because it could honestly fit perfectly with the strip's "present" if we ignored last week.

Maybe I took a brick to the head and forgot, but I don't think any of those events actually happened? Everyone seemed to know Kilgrave was a supervillain already, and there wasn't any mention that Spider-Man's name was being dragged through the mud. Heck, when the cops showed up during the break-in, they specifically said they just thought it was someone else wearing his costume.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:ssh: JJJ is doing a thing where he pretends to pivot on purple man, only to prove perfidious when he claims spider-man was mind-controlling him all along

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

And back to work.

The bugle headline is what gets me

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's a shame Roy Thomas did not like what the Captain Marvel movie did with the Skrulls, because his radical revision of Mole Man is better than the main comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People should stop asking elderly creators what they think of new, different stories, it feels like doing that is only valuable if you're fishing for controversy clicks if they say something clumsily or are honestly critical like Alan Moore.