Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Stairmaster posted:

do you have a breakdown on the gender identities of the authors of those isekais

though i guess both possibilities are lol

It seems like both male and female authors write that sort of thing. Also China seems to really like Isekais where the protagonist is a body snatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It seems like both male and female authors write that sort of thing. Also China seems to really like Isekais where the protagonist is a body snatcher.

It is a rather odd/creepy version of the Remembering past life, they both have the purpose of giving the new character a built in support network but the literally taking over someones life is just...

Even worse in many of them the original person is depicted as kind of less capable, so everything is ok!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my theory about the body snatching is that so popular because it results in a preexisting identity and place in society. most of these characters jump straight into these stolen lives, usurping the family and friends of their unfortunate victim without the slightest hesitation. no one ever questions their identity, either.

the lone stranger thing isn't very common in chinese isekai.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my theory about the body snatching is that so popular because it results in a preexisting identity and place in society. most of these characters jump straight into these stolen lives, usurping the family and friends of their unfortunate victim without the slightest hesitation. no one ever questions their identity, either.

the lone stranger thing isn't very common in chinese isekai.
and then you've got the ones in the middle where the protagonist appears in the body of a person in another world and fuses together with that person into one being with both's memories, like bakarina and other shojo isekais

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

and then you've got the ones in the middle where the protagonist appears in the body of a person in another world and fuses together with that person into one being with both's memories, like bakarina and other shojo isekais

Those ones seem a bit less offensive to me since they're more like "Person A awakening to their own past life's memories as Person B" whereas the other kind is explicitly "Person A dies and Person B (who coincidentally has the same name) inhabits their body" usually complete with them somehow "dispersing" the previous inhabitant's soul and sometimes even going through an arc where they have to acclimatize their own soul to the body they stole.

ofc they try to sidestep the morality questions in those latter stories by making it clear that Person A "died" so that what Person B is doing isn't so much stealing as just sort of picking up something discarded but it's still a really weird thing imo

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 17, 2019

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yasei no Last Boss ga Arawareta! seems to be doing kind of the opposite of that

In that the protagonist initially thinks they've just taken over their character, but as the story goes on they get increasing amounts of intrusive memories and emotional reactions from Lufasu's own history (which the protagonist shouldn't know)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a manhua that isn't isekai but same sort of setting (can't remember the exact title right now but bees found it so can hopefully fill in or I'll look it up in a bit) where the guy is brought back from the dead into another dude's body and the soul replacement thing is a sacrifice -- the "host body" cast the spell himself knowing the end result but it binds the summoned soul to a contract which I thought was an interesting way to manage the body takeover thing -- slightly less creepy since the guy goes into it willingly.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

There's a manhua that isn't isekai but same sort of setting (can't remember the exact title right now but bees found it so can hopefully fill in or I'll look it up in a bit) where the guy is brought back from the dead into another dude's body and the soul replacement thing is a sacrifice -- the "host body" cast the spell himself knowing the end result but it binds the summoned soul to a contract which I thought was an interesting way to manage the body takeover thing -- slightly less creepy since the guy goes into it willingly.
The Grandmaster of Cultivation
https://mangadex.org/title/26597/the-grandmaster-of-demonic-cultivation

Wuxia BL

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ty

it's been fun so far, I read the whole thing that night you found it lol

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Mr_Quof/status/1107206242043416576

Good isekai getting an official english version.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Argh, reading 2 chapters a week is already pushing myself and that's still not fast enough before I get overtaken. That could kill my interest in reading it raw once it catches up :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I asked before but nobody answered, what chapter of the Re:Zero webnovel does this chapter of the manga take place? I started trying to find it myself but kept getting chapters that both seemed unrelated and also had character names I don't recognize and I don't want to accidentally spoil myself on something a ways ahead.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Chunni master from the shadows isekai updated: https://mangadex.org/title/33085/kage-no-jitsuryokusha-ni-naritakute

I really like this even though I think its going to run its gimmick stale quickly

Not like that would stop me from reading an isekai lol

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I want him to realize that all the bullshit he's spouting has been true, and then just lean into it hard. I don't think I'll be interested for too long if he remains ignorant.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The WN translation is through several major arcs and it's still pretty funny.

The translation of the manga is much, much better though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Man Picked Up by the Gods, content warning, some pretty depressing flashbacks :smith:

but it's alright in the end, and I hope his mom got her own isekai treatment maybe :unsmith:

Sindai posted:

The WN translation is through several major arcs and it's still pretty funny.

The translation of the manga is much, much better though.
that's heartening to hear, that it doesn't wear out its gimmick too quickly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Captain Invictus posted:

new Man Picked Up by the Gods, content warning, some pretty depressing flashbacks :smith:

but it's alright in the end, and I hope his mom got her own isekai treatment maybe :unsmith:

This is my favorite aspect of this series. It's so heartwarming.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I asked before but nobody answered, what chapter of the Re:Zero webnovel does this chapter of the manga take place? I started trying to find it myself but kept getting chapters that both seemed unrelated and also had character names I don't recognize and I don't want to accidentally spoil myself on something a ways ahead.

edit: I first replied to this when the link wasn't working for some reason, but now it is. You're still in Arc 3, and Arc 3 of the WN mostly isn't translated (because it's covered by the anime there isn't much demand to translate it, I imagine). So you'll want to watch the anime. It shouldn't be too hard to locate the anime episode corresponding to the whale fight. Once you finish the anime you can start the translated WN content.

This link gives links to translated WN material: https://www.reddit.com/r/Re_Zero/wiki/translation

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 19, 2019

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

sunken fleet posted:

Those ones seem a bit less offensive to me since they're more like "Person A awakening to their own past life's memories as Person B" whereas the other kind is explicitly "Person A dies and Person B (who coincidentally has the same name) inhabits their body" usually complete with them somehow "dispersing" the previous inhabitant's soul and sometimes even going through an arc where they have to acclimatize their own soul to the body they stole.

ofc they try to sidestep the morality questions in those latter stories by making it clear that Person A "died" so that what Person B is doing isn't so much stealing as just sort of picking up something discarded but it's still a really weird thing imo

Can't believe Travelers is an isekai

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I first replied to this when the link wasn't working for some reason, but now it is. You're still in Arc 3, and Arc 3 of the WN mostly isn't translated (because it's covered by the anime there isn't much demand to translate it, I imagine). So you'll want to watch the anime. It shouldn't be too hard to locate the anime episode corresponding to the whale fight. Once you finish the anime you can start the translated WN content.

This link gives links to translated WN material: https://www.reddit.com/r/Re_Zero/wiki/translation

That makes sense. Thanks!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I appreciate how utterly alien Kumo looks in the new Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oh, hey, two new chapters are up for this now. She can finally kind of speak the language!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Shield Heroine

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I appreciate how utterly alien Kumo looks in the new Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

that appraisal page kicks huge amounts of rear end

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dordreff posted:

that appraisal page kicks huge amounts of rear end

this is roughly her stats/skill page from the light novel from right after the world's unluckiest expedition (spoiler tagging to collapse the image)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hard to call that unlucky when its the commander/summoner that dropped the ball, should have ordered their mass teleport immediately after discovering the feeding grounds of a mythic creature

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 24, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, they basically signed their death warrants when they used fire on the web. I don't quite remember the order of events for people being extremely wary of spider thread. Definitely by the time of remnants of the nightmare but not sure about it this early on. It's generally considered threatening because taratects that use web are considered smarter and thus more dangerous.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Most of their actions can be justified in some way or another. Accidentally setting the entire web on fire, the soldiers making GBS threads their pants while afflicted by a passive fear aura, the eccentric archmage fascinated by a legendary creature and spellcasting

But there's no excuse for the supposedly intelligent/wary commander knowing what he did and not immediately ordering that teleport

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 24, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jackard posted:

Most of their actions can be justified in some way or another. Accidentally setting the entire web on fire, the soldiers making GBS threads their pants while afflicted by a passive fear aura, the eccentric archmage fascinated by a legendary creature and spellcasting

But there's no excuse for the supposedly intelligent/wary commander knowing what he did and not immediately ordering that teleport

Pretty much. This was supposed to be a dangerous mission already but they knew it when they brought Ronandt. He was going to tip things in their favor. But then they saw the dead arch taratect. They should've called the mission then.

I really like how Kumoko's design is still very reminiscent of the less advanced taratects. Her expressiveness and sillier faces are just visibly dressing up a spider talking to herself and experiencing anguish. This is how she looks normally.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A second season of Re:Zero is in the works, so that's kind of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXlrNYghHs

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
dendro trailer popped up, curious how far it'll adapt things, considering there are good cutoff points at vol 2 or 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQzpf53SjN8

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jackard posted:

what he does is

1. see the corpse
2. appraises it
3. realizes that there is no way this is going to end well
4. orders retreat
5. kumoko shows up just as everyone is turning around to retreat
6. hell breaks lose

they had already broken down the camp at the end of the last chapter, this was to be the last zone they searched and were going to begin to withdraw afterwards. you can even see soldiers carrying the camp equipment at the beginning of this chapter, so its not like he's like "we gotta go, first break down the camp, then run"

the teleport really isn't a great option, space magic is one of the harder magics to do in the world, and while Kumoko isreally proficient about zipping around with it, she also kind of set up a parallel mind just to do that. Also while she is a monster spider, shes...still just 1 spider. There's 30 something people in the search party that need to be evacuated, and it takes Ronandt a considerably longer time to do it.

Argas posted:

I mean, they basically signed their death warrants when they used fire on the web. I don't quite remember the order of events for people being extremely wary of spider thread. Definitely by the time of remnants of the nightmare but not sure about it this early on. It's generally considered threatening because taratects that use web are considered smarter and thus more dangerous.

this mission is exactly why there's that rule

Argas posted:

Pretty much. This was supposed to be a dangerous mission already but they knew it when they brought Ronandt. He was going to tip things in their favor. But then they saw the dead arch taratect. They should've called the mission then.

see above, he pretty much immediately cancels the mission and calls for a retreat, it just doesn't happen fast enough

in the LN, Kumoko shows up right after they figure out she's been chowing down on arch taratects and are still trying to comprehend it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Oh, awesome! I'm guessing the entire season will be Arc 4. It's a really great arc with some stuff that is going to be really good animated. They might be able to avoid trimming much material if they just devote the entire season to the arc.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
even though it has its own thread, Konosuba's movie/OVA got a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sETb41GEpBo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpartanIvy posted:

picked a great time to catch up on the manga of this it seems

I am real excited for it since everyone who is familiar with the source material says arc 4 is absolutely incredible and blows the already great first 3 arcs out of the water

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

this is roughly her stats/skill page from the light novel from right after the world's unluckiest expedition (spoiler tagging to collapse the image)

ok

the page in the manga which shows the humans appraising the impossibly powerful demon spider is really cool

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

This manga is quite fun. Her happily chomping down on that living hydra was kinda terrifying.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I like that it's got different kinds of overpowered. Maple is the kind that, through chance, finds a broken combination of skills and abilities. Sally is the kind that's just really, really good at playing and exploiting video games.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

4. orders retreat
5. kumoko shows up just as everyone is turning around to retreat
There appears to be a short time skip after your #4 where the expedition is scrambling through tunnels.

Maybe that's not how the novel describes it, but that's what the manga shows.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I needed some fluff last week, so I took a dive on NovelUpdates for a new, simple fluffy series to read. I didn't find what I was looking for (I wound up rereading something instead), but I did come across Duke's Daughter Who is Liable to Die and the Seven Nobles and finally gave it a read today.

Seven hours into when I should normally be asleep, and I think I've found a new favorite.

[TL;DR: It's a really good story so far, well written and competently translated. The starting setting is your standard reincarnated-as-an-otome-game-villainess, but it's a little different and goes in a much more interesting direction than most. There's a living world with an independent supporting cast and the MC's actions have repercussions. The MC does way more than just go around fixing for the boys whatever issues they may have (there's actually only a little bit of that), including some harrowing adventuring, mystery solving and realm saving. There is some love triangle stuff (which the MC is oblivious towards), but one character is her doting, but calculating, brother, another is her brother's friend and isn't interested, and a third is more interested in being her friend so only two of the five known harem members are interested in her. There's very little, almost none, about bringing concepts from our world to this new one. The MC does have some sort of power, but it's far from a cure-all. She doesn't even realize what it is until the third incident.]

It follows Erica, an 8 year old girl that just realized she's reincarnated into an otome game as the villain (stick with me here, I know it's very common, but I found it worth it) and titular Duke's Daughter. In her past life she constantly wound up in lovely interactions with people, only finding a bit of light in speedrunning games (though the speedrunning doesn't come up outside the intro). A newly released title, Liber Monstrorum ~Phantom Beasts and the Winter Princess~, is her current jam and has a bit of a bloody reputation. In the game Erica is the normal harassing villainess, up until she dies in some mysterious (and usually awful) manner that kicks off the story for the interactions between the heroine and whichever partner is tied to the incident. Unfortunately for the MC in our world, while working her way through the third of seven routes an acquaintance from work stabs her in the back, killing her.

Realizing that, aside from the harassing, Erica is actually the type of person she wants to be, she decides to try living a new life in a fantasy world and begins trying to escape the weird deaths that will start in about 6 years.

Very quickly (the day after she remembers her past life) things get interesting when the first love interest shows up with his sister. In the game, the sister dies in some very dangerous ruins thanks to some careless and insensitive words from Erica. Erica then dies years later when the sister's body, now a possessed golden statue, is discovered, it wakes up, hunts down Erica and murders her. While Erica avoids the situation in the game, the love interest instead goes into the ruins, his sister follows him, and Erica follows both of them to try to rescue them. Things get interesting, and a hidden truth about Erica's people is discovered. The events just ramp up from there.

I really recommend giving this a go if you like stuff like Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter as that's the closest thing I can think of that's a bit more known. It doesn't have much political intrigue since it's mostly focused on kids so far, but there's other intrigue and adventures.

Onean fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 25, 2019