Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kild posted:

my friend wouldn't stop sucking off the marineford arc so I started watching it.

that had to be awkward watching your friend do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I got bored one day and decided to get the Jump app since it was cheap. I was scrolling through things to read and that was that

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A friend of mine gave me the first 130 or so episodes to watch, and I was kind of lukewarm on the series after watching it because the anime was really slow and the animation was sub-par. A couple years later another friend convinced me to pick up the manga and start over, and I loved it. I got caught up right as Robin's flashback was ending in Enies Lobby. That was a very painful time to start going week to week

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AkumaHokoru posted:

same. they were JUST getting to the march on arlong when I really got into the manga

I was 16 at the time lol and I'm still waiting on the ending more than basically anything else

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i just wanted to read something really long and critically acclaimed that actually updated after i finished berserk

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't quite remember how I started but I think a friend of mine convinced me, during vacations so I had time to read the 600+ chapters out at the time. I was already into Naruto and he really liked One Piece so like...why not? Let's give it a try, I had the time and could do with more manga in my life.

And here we are, several years and several chapters later. Still enjoying the hell out of this adventure.

He also convinced me to give the movies a chance years later, since I had only read the manga at the time. Namely, Baron Omatsuri, Strong World, Z, and Gold. That was very fun too. Baron Omatsuri's a goddamn masterpiece.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my friend in high school liked luffy for some reason and then i looked it up and started watching it. by the time i finished the anime i think they were just ending water 7 ?? and then i continued on with the manga, to this day

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I started with the fifth American issue of Shonen Jump. I've been reading One Piece for 16 years.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I started reading current chapters towards the end of Marineford, which was early 2010. That was... quite a time to catch up, holy moly. (Arguably the biggest changes of my life happened around the timeskip.)

I also went a little crazy and caught up on the entire anime, up to what had been released to that point, which I think was somewhere in Impel Down. I did end up skipping stuff like the mid-Enies-Lobby recap episodes, most of the filler, and those other non-canon special episodes, but it still took me several weeks of solid watching. I didn't seriously watch the anime after that; I've just caught major events via Youtube and One Pace.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I found out about One Piece by browsing the bookstore sometime around 2000ish. The only volumes they had at the time was during the Alabasta arc, so I read it and thought "this is awesome" and got immediately hooked.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I've been following One Piece in one form or another since August 2005. Stuck to the anime for a few years but eventually started reading the manga as well, I think I caught up and have been reading weekly since Thriller Bark (sometime in 2007).

I lost count of how many times I've re-read it over from the beginning, but I like it more every time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wanted another cool anime to stream after Baccano! on Hulu and it recommended One Piece, I feel in love instantly but stuck with streaming the dub episodes they put up every week because well, the, the fansubs and scans for a lot of the manga are real bad and what initially turned me off the series

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I started OP from some SJ monthly books my friends had in junior high. Coincidentally the issues I read were the chapters where Luffy was trapped in a cage at Buggy's bar, the Zoro vs Mohji fight and the first chapters of Usopp with the butler revealing he's a pirate. All 3 of these issues didn't involve Luffy using his powers at all and I was so confused why the intro section of SJ always described Luffy as the man who could stretch like rubber. It was a game changer when I finally bought volume 1.

e: Speaking of Zoro vs Mohji Capaji, the latest chapter was the exact same move!

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 23, 2019

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
I love Warriors games and everyone was ranting and raving about the Pirate Warriors series right before #3 came out so I decided to check out the source material before I played it and it instantly became my favorite manga.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think I started reading just before they went to Skypeia, so that was like back in 2001!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
My first experience with One Piece was when the 4Kids dub first aired on Toonami way back when (2005?) and it did not make a good impression on me... I think I only watched a few episodes before avoiding it like the plague. In fact, I was lurking ADTRW for over a year after I registered before finally giving the manga a chance because of you guys' glowing praise for it. I believe I caught up to the most recent chapters right at the end of the Marineford War arc in 2010 and of course I never looked back! I missed out on 5 years of OP because of that

I guess that goes to show just how much 4Kids hosed over One Piece in America because I had such a negative opinion of it, I scoffed every time someone would bring it up in the Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail/Ugh threads

Reiche fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 23, 2019

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I got into One Piece in 2002 or 2003, I think. My brother and I were in high school and visited a local comic shop one day. There they were selling issues of US Shonen Jump and of course OP, Naruto, and Bleach were there at the time. I think what actually drew my attention was that Sandland was included in that issue so they had Akira Toriyama's name on the cover. I watched the original Dragon Ball series dubbed on a Saturday morning cartoon channel years before and also Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network so it didn't take a lot to get me to pick up that issue of SJ.

For some reason Bleach and Naruto were more interesting to me to the point that I followed the Naruto anime all the way until the timeskip into Shippuden, but I always read the manga, including One Piece. As the quality of the writing in Naruto and Bleach got worse and worse, I became more and more appreciative of One Piece and kept reading it over and over after reaching the current releases.

One Piece is good, y'all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

After being chronically disappointed with Bleach and, at the time, mediocre rear end offerings from Jump, I finally checked out one piece after thinking its too 'kiddy'.

Jumped in a while before the timeskip and never looked back.

Goddamn OP is good.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

My first experience with One Piece was the 4kids dub way back in the day. Even eleven year-old me realized the show as really bad in that state and kind of dropped it. Didn't pick it back up at all for years after that and even when I did it was in a more casual, broken style. I had a general idea of what went on with the story but didn't watch the whole series religiously. By the time I buckled down and binged the entire anime, it was in the middle of Dressrosa, and I quickly dropped the anime for the manga and never looked back.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I also was turned way the gently caress off by the 4kids dub in childhood, and then a friend who shared manga tastes with me messaged me one day like, "dude. Dude. I started reading One Piece. It's so much loving better than we ever thought it was." So I gave the manga a shot from the beginning with fan translations and now One Piece is straight up my favorite thing. I physically own volumes 1-83.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah One Piece is the only manga that I own physical copies of, having bought two of the huge boxed sets that come with a carrying handle. I still need to buy the first one, and I'm waiting for the next one to come out eagerly.

I'd probably buy more manga but man I just do not have room.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jeeeeesus this auction went to hell real quick. Kuma, an admiral, this haki thing from the old man...Law and Kid seem like cool pirate rivals to have and I hope they’re around a bunch in the new world. They don’t seem worried st all even going up against Kuma. This is crazy what a send off for the first half of the grand line

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I watched the 4Kids dub on toonami, and kinda liked it, but not enough to watch it regularly.

First got into it from being bored in high school typing class and looking up plot summaries on wikipedia, around the time Enies Lobby was finishing up. It sounded interesting enough that I spent the summer watching all of the anime up to that point. Then the anime started getting bad in Thriller Bark, so I switched over to the manga.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
My interest in One Piece is on and off, but the first time I really got into it was Impel Down into Marineford.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I first started reading One Piece when the American version of Shonen Jump first started up back at the end of 2002. I think it was pretty behind at that point so at some point I started reading it online to catch up. I stopped reading a couple times after that for a year or two each time. I forget when, but I'm pretty sure Skypiea was one of those times. I picked it back up right at the timeskip, which is also when I started reading the One Piece threads here. I've been consistent with it ever since.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I know I saw the 4kids version back in the day, then when I was in Korea I got that infamous version that called Luffy Monk D. Roof and Sanji Sunkist. I usually just switch over to reading the manga when I'm seriously into something.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I saw the 4Kids version, heard that it was way better in japanese and started watching them with Kaizoku Fansubs. Caught up to it around the time Enies Lobby wrapped up, and I started reading the manga from Thriller Bark because I needed more of it. Hooked ever since.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I saw a few episodes of the 4Kids dub and thought it was the worst thing on Toonami.

It wasn't until a few years later that I started reading Naruto, which led me to the websites where the big three were being translated on a weekly basis and where I found the horribly translated early issues of OP.

When I had finally caught up the most recent chapter was the one where Merry saved Luffy during the Lucci fight, which means I've been reading weekly since '06.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I saw a few episodes of the 4Kids dub and thought it was the worst thing on Toonami.

It wasn't until a few years later that I started reading Naruto, which led me to the websites where the big three were being translated on a weekly basis and where I found the horribly translated early issues of OP.

When I had finally caught up the most recent chapter was the one where Merry saved Luffy during the Lucci fight, which means I've been reading weekly since '06.

This is pretty much exactly my arc, though I was just a bit later. Not sure exactly when, but I would have caught up some time during Thriller Bark.

I know for a fact I started reading it because I was annoyed with the weekly "it's good/bad, but it's no One Piece" posts in the Naruto thread here. They were rightttt

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

16 years ago, a friend of mine gave me Volume 1 during my first year of high school and I thought the page where Luffy decks Mohji in the face was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

A noodley rubber man with a straw hat decked a hairy man with lion ears because he went and upset a dog that the rubber man befriended earlier that day. That ridiculous nonsense moved me as much as anything Dragonball (my only real other manga/anime at that point) had to offer so I was hooked from Volume 1 the way other people get hooked during Arlong Park or Alabasta.

From there I read a couple more volumes then jumped into the anime with Kaizoku Fansubs, became a shameful "Nakama Person" for a while, then restarted the manga with Yahoo Group scans after I finally caught up to the anime around Skypiea. I do envy the people who have easy access to nice, clean, official scans now because man was it rough back then. Going from group to group, site to site, Kaizoku to whatever that one fansub group that started with a G was since they had up to Franky or so, then following whatever fansub/scans existed until Crunchyroll and Viz came to save me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife has had this little anime dude sticker on the side of her PC since I met her and i never knew what it was and she said she picked it up from an anime convention for free one year. I looked at it again today and finally know, it’s Law.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. Just wrapped up chapter 513. Sabaody has been absolutely crazy. I knew rescuing Camie was going to turn everything upside down, but this was nuts. It’s definitely the first time the Straw Hats have just been completely and totally outclassed by their opponents. Rayleigh coming out to fight along them was intense, cutting the light with this blade like that. Still, it feels like Luffy and the crew had become a bit over confident in their ability to fight back against injustice, considering how close they were to Navy headquarters and still caused a scene without giving a poo poo despite the warnings. Lefty telling and then begging his team to evacuate after they took down PX-4 was heart wrenching. Speaking of, what a crazy fight that was. Good teamwork across the board, even Usopp getting his moment against that monster. Even Chopper with the triple rumble ball was nothing to Kuma. That guy is an absolute terror. I look forward to him being taken down but have no idea how they could even manage it.

The Straw Hats eradicated. I wonder what happens next

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh, just you wait.

The difference is that Luffy isn't able to sit back and watch a friend get sold as a slave to a monster, while the rest of the Supernovas to various degrees learn to work within the system and know when to keep their heads down. And until now they've been adventuring and fighting in places the World Government has forgotten or out of its reach, now they're within a stone's throw of the lair of the beast and face all the escalation that an entire military-industrial complex has to offer.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sucks that the series ended there and just went into reprints labeled as new chapters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got into one piece when my mom bought me the first volume when it started releasing in Finland because "it looked cool". Same with dragon ball.

Turns out my mom has good taste

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kashuno posted:

The Straw Hats eradicated. I wonder what happens next

And that was the first chapter I ever read.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, just you wait.

The difference is that Luffy isn't able to sit back and watch a friend get sold as a slave to a monster, while the rest of the Supernovas to various degrees learn to work within the system and know when to keep their heads down. And until now they've been adventuring and fighting in places the World Government has forgotten or out of its reach, now they're within a stone's throw of the lair of the beast and face all the escalation that an entire military-industrial complex has to offer.

Nah, most of their journey was loving with the Marines' poo poo. Morgan, rat dude working with Arlong, Smoker, Crocodile, Aokiji, CP9, all of Ennis Lobby, and Garp. Even the 3 dudes that massively out classed them were fairly easy to escape.

Not that Luffy would give a poo poo anyway, but their experience prior to Sabaody was that The World Government was absolutely something to gently caress with at all levels.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
It still annoys me to no end that "Sabaody" is pronounced "sha-bon-dy."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoren posted:

It still annoys me to no end that "Sabaody" is pronounced "sha-bon-dy."

Shabondy does make more sense, given all the bubbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didnt like the mermaid nosebleed but this one was hilarious. Honestly I didnt enjoy post-timeskip very much until Sanji became the main character for a while, he's so funny and just the right level of crazy.